PDA

View Full Version : "Blast from the Past" Idea

Ingles
03-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Many of you, including myself, have games that you can't seem to get the full 1000http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/site/gp-g.jpg or full 200http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/site/gp-g.jpg in because people just simply aren't playing those games anymore online. Yes, you know the ones I'm talking about... games with multiplayer achievements that take AGES to do.

I was just thinking to myself, "Wouldn't it be cool if every 2 weeks, x360a would put up a small section or link on the homepage called 'Blast from the Past' feature for games that are old and no one really plays anymore?" Hence the name, "Blast from the Past". It could be called something else but that's the first thing that popped into my mind. :p

For example:
Blast from the Past
Mar. 1st - Mar. 15th - Prey
Mar. 15th - Mar. 31st - Perfect Dark Zero

and so on and so forth... The Darkness, Quake 4, and tons of other games with just annoying online multiplayer achievements.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the Achievement Trading Threads and use them often when I can but I just find them ineffective for the most part with a lot of people. I'm tired of trying to organize boosting parties for every game I need to finish. This involves sending out friends requests, messages, getting what time zone everyone is in, trying to find a common time for everyone to be online, etc...

For those of you who are trying to find help with multiple games, that involves you jumping around to all of those threads to see who is interested and it can be just a flat out headache/pain in the ass to do. This feature would highlight one game to be boosted for such and such period of time (1 week, 2 weeks) however long really. I figured 2 weeks to give everyone a chance to participate at least. So instead of searching for multiplayer games only to find none, you have a great chance of finding multiplayer matches going on in those games during whatever time period is listed.

There could be a sign up thread for individuals to post their gamertag and time zone so that a list could be compiled in the first post of the thread for all to see. You could much more easily find people to play with in those games. Once you've finished a game, simply post stating that you've finished and we can take your name off the list or you could stay on there to finish out the time period for that particular game to stay and help out.

Example:

Prey Boosting - Mar. 1st - Mar. 15th.
-------------------------------------

Eastern Time Zone

JMIngles

I don't want anyone to think that I am trying to eliminate the need for the Achievement Trading Threads for each game because they are useful. They would still be a great resource for people not needing to boost online achievements in whatever game is being highlighted for those 2 weeks. This feature would just highlight a game for a week or two so that all those interested will finally have a chance at finishing up the game, helping out others, meeting new people in the x360a community and making new friends as well!

What does everyone think? Sure, there would be a few things to get worked out but I really feel it could work! I'd gladly invest my own time in whatever ways needed to see it come to fruition. I think it could become a great asset to this site. I'm just curious what others thoughts and opinions are for such an idea. Also, if you have any questions, please post and I'll try and answer them as best as possible. All feedback including "I like this idea because...", "I hate this idea because..." or any constructive criticism is welcomed!

Creech
03-05-2009, 05:40 PM
We have talked about this off and on for at least the last year, but the only times we have organized something along those lines, nobody shows up...probably because nobody plays those games anymore. heh.

The subscribers have done something similar that was somewhat more successful, but it really was a more focused group and essentially a glorified achievement trading thread. It is still available to subscribers, but not particularly used anymore as far as I can tell.

BooseyGirl
03-05-2009, 06:06 PM
I think it's a good idea but the problem is, is that no one really plays them anymore. I know I still play PDZ but I can never find anyone to boost with...but maybe if x360a.org posted up something, kind of like an update on the main page with something like "Blast from the Past Game of the Month" maybe more people would play?

Ingles
03-05-2009, 06:09 PM
We have talked about this off and on for at least the last year, but the only times we have organized something along those lines, nobody shows up...probably because nobody plays those games anymore. heh.

The subscribers have done something similar that was somewhat more successful, but it really was a more focused group and essentially a glorified achievement trading thread. It is still available to subscribers, but not particularly used anymore as far as I can tell.

We could possibly get people to vote on the next game that the site would highlight for a certain length of time. This might help give us a sample of data for what people are still playing or would like to play but just can't find anyone online like you mentioned. Hmm...

I think it's a good idea but the problem is, is that no one really plays them anymore. I know I still play PDZ but I can never find anyone to boost with...but maybe if x360a.org posted up something, kind of like an update on the main page with something like "Blast from the Past Game of the Month" maybe more people would play?

Yea, that's what I was hoping. If they'd advertise or post something up on the main site so that people would know, then people could knock the dust of their old games or plan to make a rental for that week, 2 weeks, etc... to be able to participate.

narcolepticshee
03-05-2009, 06:37 PM
I think it would work best if on the home page there was a 'blast from the past: Perfect Dark' or something similar. It stays there for a month, but there are no sign ups or anything. You just load the game up knowing there's more chance of other people being on at the same time.

Peace

Purge
03-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Mabye some sort of section just saying an old game with multiplayer achievements.

X360A Members are playing: The Darkness
X360A Members are playing: PREY

Ingles
03-06-2009, 12:42 AM
I'm thinking along the lines of what x360a did to help everyone get the "NBA Live 1000 People Online" achievement. A very similar effort in that it would let everyone know for a specific period of time that if they need to finish any achievements, that doing so during those times would be one of the best times to be able to do so.

Tomscfc
03-08-2009, 04:05 PM
sounds like a good idea to me!

Mantra
03-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Ingles55 (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=42838) is on to something here.

Good thinking, mate.

Ingles
03-08-2009, 04:36 PM
sounds like a good idea to me!

Ingles55 (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=42838) is on to something here.

Good thinking, mate.

Thanks fellas. Any comments appreciated. It'd be somewhat of a trick to see that there are people there to make those types of things possible but it would be worth a shot in my opinion and as I mentioned, I'd be willing to help organize such a huge thing. It may be more of a headache for many for the small amount of people that may actually benefit from it.

Skepsis93
03-08-2009, 05:22 PM
This is a great idea - I've got loads of old games/games with sequels I need to finish off - MOH Airborne, Virtua Tennis 3, PES2008... This would help loads :D

Good thinking Ingles

Jappe XBA
03-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Sound like a good idea, I don't have many old games that has online achievements, but at least it would help a lot of people who do. And if there would be a try for that 1000 people achievement in NBA Live 07, I'm in :p

Ingles
03-08-2009, 05:36 PM
This is a great idea - I've got loads of old games/games with sequels I need to finish off - MOH Airborne, Virtua Tennis 3, PES2008... This would help loads :D

Good thinking Ingles

Yes, that was my reasoning for thinking of it exactly. I've also got a ton of games as well as friends who have a ton of games that no one really plays anymore. That's part of the obstacle we'd be facing to get something like this off the ground. Just the simple fact that people mostly don't play those games anymore so it'd be hard to make something like this successful at x360a.

I would not only like to start something like this but provide some means of sustainability to it to keep it going if things start of working well and everyone seems to like it. Getting people to vote on each game we do might help sustain the idea a little more. With everything going on with x360a, again it could be more trouble than its worth with the few people it would help. I'd be interested in seeing just what type of turnout we'd have if enough people were alerted about it.

MaXx Ownage
03-09-2009, 01:00 AM
I love buying alot of used games at my local store for 5-10 euro, theyre fun and cheap but then i cant get half the achievements as they are online and old. I support this and think I would join in on alot of them just because it would be like a community event haha

Ingles
03-09-2009, 01:20 AM
I love buying alot of used games at my local store for 5-10 euro, theyre fun and cheap but then i cant get half the achievements as they are online and old. I support this and think I would join in on alot of them just because it would be like a community event haha

It's always nice to see that there is an interest. My concern is knowing whether or not there'd be enough interest and in what ways could we sustain something like this to keep it going if enough people like the idea. Thanks for your comment. :)

CienPR
03-09-2009, 03:13 AM
Great idea man, this would help out with all those games that require a rather large number of boosters like Turning Point, finding a group of people for that game is a pain.

XxBlueSpade2xX
03-09-2009, 06:08 AM
GREAT idea. Seriously could use that damn "Master of Ceremonies" ach on RSV1. Could never get that damn thing.

dakisbac
03-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Tis too bad. I organised one of those myself and 25 different people got the achievement.

I support this idea.

Violet Grim
03-09-2009, 07:53 AM
This is a pretty cool idea. Glad to know I'm not the only one with unfinished games/achievements collecting dust on the shelf... :D

Ingles
03-10-2009, 01:25 AM
These are all great ideas and comments. I sent Webb a PM about the idea just to pick his brain of any thoughts and below is what he said and I quote:

"As for something like you suggested, the problem would be time; 1. it would add to our never ending job list, 2. there would never be enough weeks to cover all the games people wanted to look at. The demand just isn't big enough for this sort of thing and out of a six figure community, helping 5 people would be a very inefficient way to spend our time."

As much as I'd like to take on and get a project like this started, I trust that Webb and x360a have exhausted the idea of having something like this at x360a. I can understand the concerns/reasons the x360a staff may have due to past attempts that were not as successful as I'm sure many would have hoped. Again this relates back to what Creech mentioned before with past attempts resulting in a low turnout of gamers.

Regardless, I would like to thank everyone though who has posted with their thoughts, ideas, and comments regarding having a feature as such. It's been great to get to read everyone's responses and see the interest that is there. I'll see you guys around x360a. :)

CienPR
03-10-2009, 01:58 AM
Shame really, I could have seen this working out.

pensivedragon
03-10-2009, 04:36 AM
*edit*
Too bad it didnt work out, I think it was an awesome idea.

Evil Demon55
03-10-2009, 05:22 AM
Good idea, but Eastern Time Zone... horrible idea there, lost all hope for me :p Would be a good idea, but might be hard to pick games every 2 weeks after 4 months.

weesplash
03-11-2009, 10:16 AM
I have always really liked this idea. It was suggested a while back I think? Yeah found it HERE (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119028)

Same sort of idea suggested by skillet. He even created this nice little mock-up image of how the notice could look, and placed it on the end of his metaphoric fishing rod but the mods still wouldn't bite, lol:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h23/Skillet98/gameofthedaycopy.png

Like I said I think it's an awesome idea. I for one know it would help me get the infamous G.O.A.T. achievement in Rockstar Table Tennis because not enough people really want to boost for that anymore.

But like the mods and admins have said previously, they've tried it before and in the past it has been unsuccessful because the turnout has been so low.

One idea I have which may help get the feature implemented to the main site is have a test run yourself. Create a social group in the same manner. Have a suggestions thread were members post which old game they want to boost on, shortlist that and then call a vote. Then each month open a new thread with all the details of what night the game is going to be played and then people that are going to join in can post in their. You never know, if you run the group for a few months and it becomes successful, has a large enough member base and has been run well by yourself and a few other people, you could then re-pitch it to the admins, showing them the groups success and then they might feel more confident about implementing the feature. If the feature is added to the main site you and whoever else that ran the group successfully (perhaps skillet (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=3634) might help, I'd be up for it too if you fancy it) could become "Blast from the past" directors, similar to the "Tournament Directors" that are already in place. It would then be your job and the rest of the teams to oversee the running off the feature. And like fugitivetoby31 said, a "Blast from the past award could be created" which would give people that even already have all the online achievements some incentive to wipe the dust of the game, fire it back in the 360 and help others out that don't have the achievements. You know people will do anything for an award, lol, I'd say some would even stretch to going out and renting the game again just for it. And the award would fall under the same criteria that the website uses awards for: helping the community.

Well it's just my suggestion. Let me know what you think. You could even PM the admins/mods again and ask them what they think of a trial-run idea in the form of a social group and if it is successful enough will it be implemented.

Take care,
weesplash (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=58392)

M85A21
03-11-2009, 10:19 AM
I would be up for that, that's a brilliant idea, games like FEAR, Prey etc...

phobzy85
03-11-2009, 11:59 AM
I would love for this to happen. Maybe every 2 weeks / 1 month a game is highlighted somewhere that everybody will see. Be it a banner on the homepage or something alike.

I would love to play a lot of my games that I have that nobody hits up anymore. Be it Prey, Quake 4, Fear etc. There are some fun MP games that people just don't play anymore. This could be the answer!

Tomscfc
03-11-2009, 04:30 PM
These are all great ideas and comments. I sent Webb a PM about the idea just to pick his brain of any thoughts and below is what he said and I quote:

"As for something like you suggested, the problem would be time; 1. it would add to our never ending job list, 2. there would never be enough weeks to cover all the games people wanted to look at. The demand just isn't big enough for this sort of thing and out of a six figure community, helping 5 people would be a very inefficient way to spend our time."

As much as I'd like to take on and get a project like this started, I trust that Webb and x360a have exhausted the idea of having something like this at x360a. I can understand the concerns/reasons the x360a staff may have due to past attempts that were not as successful as I'm sure many would have hoped. Again this relates back to what Creech mentioned before with past attempts resulting in a low turnout of gamers.

Regardless, I would like to thank everyone though who has posted with their thoughts, ideas, and comments regarding having a feature as such. It's been great to get to read everyone's responses and see the interest that is there. I'll see you guys around x360a. :)
Awh....i'm sad now..:(