PDA

View Full Version : Stealing bases tips?

ZiM1021
03-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Anyone got an tips on stealing bases? I can't get the hang of the new method. It doesn't make any sense.

Hold LT to steal but they'll run whenever you do it. They'll just start running before the pitch is thrown. If you do it while the pitcher is getting ready to throw the ball, they take two big steps and then run instead of just running, pretty much assuring you'll be thrown out.

Is there a setting you can change that I'm missing, different buttons to use, or is this just it? If so, again, any tips? Also, I don't really want to change sliders in my favor. Just want to know how to do it correctly.

Thanks. :)

ElderOmnivore
03-08-2009, 05:38 PM
What I do, I click the left trigger three times. After the third one, I hold down the button. When the controller shakes, that means that the steal attempt is "locked in." You have to keep holding the trigger though because as soon as you let go of it after it's "locked in," the runner attempts to steal. In other words, the second the pitcher starts his motion, release the trigger. It may take a couple of times to get the timing just right, but after you do, stealing is pretty easy.

ZiM1021
03-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I figured that out when I was playing before. I'm like "what if I just hold onto LT until the pitcher begins his motion to the plate?" Did it and boom, steal from Jose Reyes. Wound up getting three altogether in the game. Thanks for the tip regardless. Maybe it'll help some more people.

Denny Crane
03-08-2009, 07:02 PM
its still pretty hard, i release when the pitcher starts his motion but i still get thrown out alot. my best basestealer is B rob but i was getting pissed so i traded for mike bourn and still same results. i think my stats were sumpthin like 35 steals thrown out 45-50 times.

M1KE dubZ
03-08-2009, 07:26 PM
What I do, I click the left trigger three times. After the third one, I hold down the button. When the controller shakes, that means that the steal attempt is "locked in." You have to keep holding the trigger though because as soon as you let go of it after it's "locked in," the runner attempts to steal. In other words, the second the pitcher starts his motion, release the trigger. It may take a couple of times to get the timing just right, but after you do, stealing is pretty easy.

This helped so much thank you.

t00thgrinder
03-09-2009, 12:36 AM

ya, basically what i do. i click LT twice, then hold it.. runner will take a third step. as soon as u see the pitcher move, let it go.. works pretty much everytime

CozierZebra
03-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the advice lol, I had no idea that was how it works. Time to get those steal achievements!

SgtCouchPotato
03-11-2009, 03:06 PM
you tap LB to take setps off the base, then hold LT and release when ready to break for the base...

ElderOmnivore
03-11-2009, 04:03 PM
you tap LB to take setps off the base, then hold LT and release when ready to break for the base...

LB has everyone take a leadoff. LT will have just the guy you want. Then again, if you use the LB, you can just everyone on base. So, you do that to get two at once.

ethanl2k7
03-13-2009, 12:46 AM
Brett Gardner on the Yankees is the best. i knew he was fast, 2k9 really captures individual player strengths.

SilverSluggerMZ
03-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Brett Gardner on the Yankees is the best. i knew he was fast, 2k9 really captures individual player strengths.

Sounds like sarcasm, but I cannot tell :(

faster90
03-14-2009, 03:13 AM
There seem to be a base stealing bug. If you're a runner on 1B and press LB three times, taking three steps out, and hold LB, the pitcher try to pick you off. You release LB, the runner dive back to 1B and is called save, the runner automaticly stand back up and run to 2B while the first basement just stand there letting you go to 2B without a throw. I've done this with many players now. Your player doesn't even need speed.

Here's a video, YouTube - Major League Baseball (MLB) 2k9 Free Steal

ProjectSix
03-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Try stealing off of Joba Chamberlain on the Yankees. He has a very slow delivery to home with runners on so I found it very easy to steal off him.

SengIV
03-18-2009, 10:57 PM
There seem to be a base stealing bug. If you're a runner on 1B and press LB three times, taking three steps out, and hold LB, the pitcher try to pick you off. You release LB, the runner dive back to 1B and is called save, the runner automaticly stand back up and run to 2B while the first basement just stand there letting you go to 2B without a throw. I've done this with many players now. Your player doesn't even need speed.

Here's a video, YouTube - Major League Baseball (MLB) 2k9 Free Steal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsKA9uUNU9Q)

I am going to add this video to the guide.

y2j420
04-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Stealing is broken in this game...I have a stat of 25 steals to 146 caught stealing attempts...

It's seriously broken and needs to be patched...

y2j420
04-06-2009, 06:56 AM
BTW, that video no longer works as it seems to have been patched...

HaWgWilD09
04-06-2009, 05:00 PM

Thats exactly what I do and it hardly ever works....I guess its just a timing issue....or maybe its the fact that im playing with the Tigers (hometown team) but nontheless I played last night and was able to get 3 steals off of the Seattle Mariners so I guess I just need to practice more....

Midnight Malice
04-06-2009, 10:46 PM
You can't steal with just anybody... they should have a 90 or higher in both acceleration and speed. Even that doesn't gurantee a steal. Aggression doesn't seam to matter too much, I am 95% positive that is just an AI stat. But players with that much speed are bound to have 80 or higher in stealing aggression.

shaqots
04-09-2009, 03:06 AM
BTW, that video no longer works as it seems to have been patched...

It still works just don't try with a left handed first baseman. I got it to work the other day with a right handed first baseman but not left handed.

y2j420
04-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Wrong...I tried it last night about 6 times and the baserunner didn't automatically run to 2nd...it has been patched...

Make sure you are up to date on the patches and you'll see it doesn't work...

petenoodles
04-21-2009, 01:42 AM
I have a created player with 100 speed and accelleration, however, I get thrown out 100% of the time trying to steal second. It's quite frustrating.

xXx3NIGM4xXx
04-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Stealing in this game is non-existent to me. I have Ichiro, take three step lead off first, let go at the first sign of movement, and every f***ing time, I get thrown out. It's so stupid because I could understand if I was stealing with Griffy but my God, Ichiro could easily steal 40 bases a season (and has)!!! I think I've stolen a base ONLY in the "training"..in Franchise it is absolutly stupid and un realistic. And I can NEVER get them out at 2nd either..lame sheet. Even if the video did work, I would rather actually have my own ability to steal be more prelivent, not just use some lame ass glitch...I could take 4 strides off and still get thrown out..

xxWhiteEarthxx
04-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Heres a tip for getting the stealing cards/achievements.

What I did was steal before the pitch was thrown and get in a pickle. Then just win the pickle getting to second base. Boom, there's your steal.

Pogo27
04-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Just use a second control. With control A, pitch an intentional walk. With control B, steal second and don't throw to any bases with control A. You've now stolen one base.

Pitch another intentional walk now, and now do a double steal, moving the players to second and third. Now you've stolen 3 total bases (double steal counts as two).

Pitch another intentional walk, so now you have the bases loaded.

Now, with the team at bat with bases loaded, hold LB getting them all ready to steal, and with the pitching controller, throw a fastball and immediately have the catcher throw to first base (where no one is running to).

Now you've stole 6 total bases (triple steal counts as 3) and the 4th batter is at bat. ;) Rinse and repeat. You can pretty quickly get 25, 50, 100, etc. (and all in one game) doing this.

You can do this in however many innings game you want, as the inning clearly doesn't end until you have 3 outs, you can get all the stolen bases in one inning. However, if you put it for a full 9 inning game, you can also add 27 Ks to your profile for those achievements by simply not swinging at the pitches and getting all the outs via strike out.

As for stealing legitimately when playing against AI, I haven't figured that out yet either (just got the game yesterday), however, here's something you might consider. Make sure you have the Inside Edge reports on the pitchers. A fastball gets to the plate faster than a change up, which means the catcher can beginning throwing to second sooner, which ultimately means the balls gets to second base sooner giving the defense the best chances of tagging you out. So? Get your fast base runner, and try stealing more often when the pitcher is more likely to be throwing slow pitches and less often when he is likely to be throwing fast pitches.

Also, try setting a line up with two fast runners batting in succession and try getting them on the corners with either 0 or just 1 out. Make the guy on first go for second and if get ready to make the guy on third bolt for home if the catcher throws toward second. One of a few things will happen here.

Either the catcher will not throw, you'll successfully steal second, and have runners on 2nd and 3rd, or the catcher will throw but the second basemen will immediately throw back to home (because your guy is heading there), and you'll have successfully stole second (because 2Bman didn't tag you so he could throw home) and hopefully you can get your other guy safely back to third, or the second baseman will tag your first guy, but the other guy will outrun his throw back home and will successfully have stolen home.

And all of that strategy just becomes that much more effective when the pitcher is likely to be throwing a change up or knuckle or slow curve ball or something. You're looking to be stealing on pitches that are 80mph or slower.