PDA

View Full Version : A review score of 4.5

666priest
03-08-2009, 07:40 PM
I was checking out Gamespot and notice that they gave MLB 2K9 a 4.5, normally those guys can't tell the difference between their elbows and their assh---s and a lot of the times I don't listen to reviews but when a game gets an awful score like this it catches my attention.
I want to hear from those of you that already own the game if it's a good or bad game because I have a MAJOR baseball fever thanks to pre-season and WBC and I want to get the game but not if it's bad. Thank you.

Tailz
03-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I was checking out Gamespot and notice that they gave MLB 2K9 a 4.5, normally those guys can't tell the difference between their elbows and their assh---s and a lot of the times I don't listen to reviews but when a game gets an awful score like this it catches my attention.
I want to hear from those of you that already own the game if it's a good or bad game because I have a MAJOR baseball fever thanks to pre-season and WBC and I want to get the game but not if it's bad. Thank you.

The game sucks.

The Stealing is almost impossible to do successfully
The Fielding is the worst i've ever seen
They had a PERFECT system with the trading cards last year with Golds and Platinums and they took it out and that was their biggest mistake.

The Game last year is far better then this years. It's not even close.

FonduYouLoveMe
03-08-2009, 08:26 PM
This game is not great, but is no where near a 4.5 bad.

Me and my friend were just talking about how bad game reviews are this day

Take in point Halo Wars: IGN gave it an 8.8 I think and then Gamespot gives it a 6.5. They are not the be all end all to deciding whether to play the game. If they release a patch that fixes a few of the glitches, I think this could be a 8 easily. I am a huge baseball fan so I might be biased, but I dont really care

Denny Crane
03-08-2009, 08:31 PM
bottom line they sold an unfinished game. no game shud be this horribly glitchy. the glitches arent once in a while, they are multiple times per game usually. jesus christ the foot off first base is the worst thing ever. now the gameplay for batting this year i think is ok, although now that you really determine how the ball is hit the only way you could ground out is basically if you choose to. pitch w/ the stick is actually doable this year, but is broken w/ the face buttons if you like that. fielding is broken aswell, and as mentioned littered w/ glitches (more than any other part of the game). baserunning didnt need to be changed and is worse slightly than 2k. stealing is also trash. and its homerun ball 2k9 once again. id say its 2k8 w/ better graphics/presentation (i hate the menus though) and probally overall worse gameplay.
if u like baseball and need ur mlb game every year like me, then this is ur only option obviously, and cud be enjoyable w/ time and maybe slider changes

SengIV
03-08-2009, 09:23 PM
bottom line they sold an unfinished game. no game shud be this horribly glitchy. the glitches arent once in a while, they are multiple times per game usually. jesus christ the foot off first base is the worst thing ever. now the gameplay for batting this year i think is ok, although now that you really determine how the ball is hit the only way you could ground out is basically if you choose to. pitch w/ the stick is actually doable this year, but is broken w/ the face buttons if you like that. fielding is broken aswell, and as mentioned littered w/ glitches (more than any other part of the game). baserunning didnt need to be changed and is worse slightly than 2k. stealing is also trash. and its homerun ball 2k9 once again. id say its 2k8 w/ better graphics/presentation (i hate the menus though) and probally overall worse gameplay.
if u like baseball and need ur mlb game every year like me, then this is ur only option obviously, and cud be enjoyable w/ time and maybe slider changes

:whs

I think this game deserves a 2/10

It is terrible. No way should a 0 stat team be able to hit the FREAKING BALL!!!!!!

Sick l Gator
03-08-2009, 09:28 PM
If I met the game designer or project manager I would totally donkey punch him in the dick for this game or if it was a girl a donkey kick in the chest.

Du Werk
03-09-2009, 01:18 AM
imo, they seem to just focus on making the game look pretty and not focus on actual gameplay.. since 2k6 they just can't seem to get it right. Dont get me wrong i enjoy playing the games but theres always something wrong with each one released. The graphics have come a long way but the show definately has it more on point then this

666priest
03-09-2009, 01:23 AM
How do I wish that EA can get back the MLB contract so they can continue making MVP Baseball (The best baseball game series ever). With all this much bad talk about the game, I might just have to get The Show '09 instead.

Ollie The Magic Bum
03-09-2009, 01:41 AM
If I met the game designer or project manager I would totally donkey punch him in the dick for this game or if it was a girl a donkey kick in the chest.

You realize that donkey punching someone involves having sex with the other person(s) right? And a donkey punch isn't in the wang. It's in the back of the neck. That'd mean you'd be having gay sex with the game designers, which are predominately male. Enjoy.

The game sucks.

The Stealing is almost impossible to do successfully
The Fielding is the worst i've ever seen
They had a PERFECT system with the trading cards last year with Golds and Platinums and they took it out and that was their biggest mistake.

The Game last year is far better then this years. It's not even close.

What exactly is so bad about stealing? You tap the LT 2-3 times, and then hold it. When the pitcher moves, release LT. Boom. Steal. What is so damn hard about that? If anything, stealing is TOO easy. I had 3 steals with Derrick Lee in one game.

And what is so bad about the fielding? It's fine, except for the 1B glitch. That's only happened to me once anyway.

EOU Findub
03-09-2009, 02:42 AM
This game really isn't that bad. If you don't like it, don't play it. Go back to MVP Baseball 2004 (which was the best baseball game ever). This is going to be the only baseball sim you are going to get (aside from The Bigs 2, lol). No one is forcing you to jam it into your 360.

I will agree that you have to time your steals very well or you are going to get thrown out. Pitching also is horribly inaccurate, but the game is actually pretty good.

INFERNOII
03-09-2009, 02:47 AM
Holy crap.. My friend is giving me his copy of the game.. for free. I guess I know why now.

666priest
03-09-2009, 02:51 AM
This game really isn't that bad. If you don't like it, don't play it. Go back to MVP Baseball 2004 (which was the best baseball game ever). This is going to be the only baseball sim you are going to get (aside from The Bigs 2, lol). No one is forcing you to jam it into your 360.

I will agree that you have to time your steals very well or you are going to get thrown out. Pitching also is horribly inaccurate, but the game is actually pretty good.

Actually MVP 2005 is the best baseball game ever, then it's triple play. I'm seeing mixed reactions from this game so I'll probably rent it before I buy it.

EOU Findub
03-09-2009, 03:00 AM
Never played 2005. I just remember MVP 2004 with Pujols on the cover was the best F-ing game ever. At least baseball game. The second best is Ken Griffey Jr's Major League Baseball on the SNES.

Urban Myth
03-09-2009, 08:18 AM
This game is not great, but is no where near a 4.5 bad.

Me and my friend were just talking about how bad game reviews are this day

Take in point Halo Wars: IGN gave it an 8.8 I think and then Gamespot gives it a 6.5. They are not the be all end all to deciding whether to play the game. If they release a patch that fixes a few of the glitches, I think this could be a 8 easily. I am a huge baseball fan so I might be biased, but I don't really care

I have to agree with you here.

Game reviews are the most inconsistant and most biased that I have ever seen. I simply do not go by any of them anymore.

Personally. I like 2k9. There is alot to learn about it. But, it is definately not as bad as some are trying to say it is. From what I'm reading. It's more about peoples tastes then it is the actual game itself and it's functionality. It does come up short in places. Not enough for me to say it's absolute trash.

Greg0fTheDead
03-09-2009, 06:36 PM
basewars for the nes was the greatest of all time. if someone throws you out running the bases you can fight them to the death and if you win you are safe, they need to add that rule for this upcoming season.

666priest
03-09-2009, 06:37 PM
I have to agree with you here.

Game reviews are the most inconsistant and most biased that I have ever seen. I simply do not go by any of them anymore.

Personally. I like 2k9. There is alot to learn about it. But, it is definately not as bad as some are trying to say it is. From what I'm reading. It's more about peoples tastes then it is the actual game itself and it's functionality. It does come up short in places. Not enough for me to say it's absolute trash.

Exactly what I always think when the reviews give bad scores to games, if a specific genre of games isn't to your liking (Many people hate RTS but I love them) you already have a biased opinion of the game before you even play it or subconsciously you'll end up nitpicking the game so you can give it a bad review.

Sick l Gator
03-09-2009, 07:22 PM
They just say that this game sucks. Plain and simple

CAFF31N3
03-10-2009, 04:23 AM
In my opinion, 2K8 was a better game outside of the laggy online gameplay. This year's online play is much better. The menu's in 2K9 are not as user friendly as 2K8 were and the card system went to shit this year. I haven't had much problems with gameplay. The pitching and hitting are definitely easier than last year's, which i am not a big fan of personally. If you want a button masher baseball game, download MLB Stickball from the Live arcade. Living roster's of this year are kinda cool because it auto updates and you don't have to go online and download a roster once a month like last year's. Overall, after playing last year's game, this game leaves a little more to be desired in the extra content section. However, if you are in it for the game play, the sliders can be adjusted to make it as easy or as hard as you want. The graphics are descent too. I would probably give this game a 6.7 to a 7.2. I would definitely rent it first if you are not a die hard baseball fan like myself.

ReverendPhill
03-10-2009, 05:11 AM
I like how people say certain aspects of the game are trash when it's just a matter of they can't figure out how to do it. Stealing isn't awful it's just harder. This game is a long long long long long way from being perfect but people seem to just trash on it because it won't live up to their memories of playing MVP. Chances are if EA had the rights they wouldn't have done as much inovation in baseball games like 2K has. We'd still be living with pushing single buttons to swing and pitch like you do on Bases Loaded. Both companies need to have the rights. There is a desperate need for competition within sports titles otherwise you get either buggy games or slightly worse games that are just clones of the previous year with no real update to the game play or anything else but rosters.

Urban Myth
03-10-2009, 03:09 PM
I agree Phil. Sooo any people get mad and blame the game simply because they don't want to learn how to use a controller. improve thier own skills, and or pay attention to game settings and sliders/difficulty.

Every single thing I have heard ppl complain about is either a skill or controller issue that they can fix by simply getting better or, a difficulty and slider issue. Trust me me. If you go and adjust your sliders for hoe run probability all the way up. There won't be 17 homers recorded in a game.

I guess this is too much common sense for some people to handle.