PDA

View Full Version : Worst Baseball game ever for the 360!!!

Sick l Gator
03-08-2009, 09:20 PM
:mad: I got this game looking foward to seeing how 2K moved forward in their baseball franchise. Unfortunately I got a game that was worst than the 2K6 game. 2K sports took a giant leap backwards in this game, for example in the first game I played the runner was called safe 4 times when he was clearly out by 10 feet. Now these were just routine grounders to 2nd, 3rd and back to the pitcher, there was no rush throw or anything, it was just a routine play.

After playing a few more games my teams were averaging 4 to 5 errors a game on these routine plays and this was after I drop it down on rookie level when it should not matter what you do.

I have owned every single 2k baseball game and have been happy with them all, even the 2k6 disc fiasco. I say bring back ea sports and give me a triple play baseball game.

P.S. I look for the best in the games and try not to pay attention to the negatives, but there were no positives for this game.

SengIV
03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
I get that you wanted to vent but I can name three, maybe four topics on the front page that have the same topic as your thread does. No need to make a new thread.

But I do 100% agree with you that this game is garbage.

Sick l Gator
03-08-2009, 09:30 PM
I get that you wanted to vent but I can name three, maybe four topics on the front page that have the same topic as your thread does. No need to make a new thread.

But I do 100% agree with you that this game is garbage.

Yeah I know I saw the other topics, but I did not like the title of the threads, I felt it need something stronger and made people aware of the scam 2k sports is pulling.

Thanks for being polite about though some people act like you punch them in the face when you post a duplicate thread.

FonduYouLoveMe
03-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Oh how I miss MVP, I still play it from time to time

Sick l Gator
03-08-2009, 09:41 PM
people complained about EA baseball games all the time, but at least i can say the David Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia would not be the same size.

where in IL are u?

l InFamousDj l
03-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Well this is the last year for 2K anyways so its the last of any sports game u get to play made from them.. Plus the best baseball is the SHOW but to bad its only made for Playstation

Sick l Gator
03-08-2009, 10:20 PM
how I wish it was on the 360

SengIV
03-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Well this is the last year for 2K anyways so its the last of any sports game u get to play made from them.. Plus the best baseball is the SHOW but to bad its only made for Playstation

They arent closing down. They are still making The Bigs 2. If they arent doing sports anymore why start a new project?

XxBlueSpade2xX
03-08-2009, 11:24 PM
I miss MVP too. But I complained about it a lot anyways. I wish RBI Baseball would make a return on the 360.

Mackstation
03-09-2009, 12:06 AM
First off 2k9 is way better than 2k8, I am not saying that is perfect or even close but it is an improvement.

FonduYouLoveMe
03-09-2009, 12:11 AM
They arent closing down. They are still making The Bigs 2. If they arent doing sports anymore why start a new project?

He is referring to the end of the exclusive rights deal that 2K has for baseball, but unfortunately, it is not over for another 2 years :(

faster90
03-09-2009, 03:03 AM
The game isn't that bad. So far in every games in franchise, I gave up an average of 8 runs and made like 1-2 errors per game, but hitting a homerun is so easy that it balance the game out. I hit like 10-15 homeruns per game. It might not be realistic, but everyone like to hit homerun. I play to have fun.

2K sports just need to have more staffs working on the game and have some you guys as beta testers.

Urban Myth
03-09-2009, 07:56 AM
I think overall the game is pretty good. Not perfect. No game ever is.

I do notice people griping alot about throwing out runners on ground balls in the infield. When I first got the game I had the very same thing happen. Then. I realized. It was all about how you use your controller.

First thing I would suggest is to not use button throws on any infield play.

Second thing that has worked for me really well is to make sure you are moving the right stick DIRECTLY to the right if your throwing to first. It wouldn't hurt to pull alittle bit down either. What you will find is that the throw will be right at the 1st baseman or alittle to the home plate side of the base. It will record the out every time. Since I've made a concious effort to do this both off and online. I haven't had a safe call yet the should be an out.

If you are straying up on the right stick in the slightest. You stand around an 80% chance that the 1st baseman will pull his foot. Yea. I know that's not very realistic but, If you try what i suggest, you will not see it happen.

I was playing a guy online and he was having the very same issue. 3 out of 5 throws he made to 1st were safe calls and he was getting frustrated. I turned on my mic to give him these tips. And he couldn't have been more thankful. He recorded 100% of his chances the rest of the game and relaxed a bit.

Sick l Gator
03-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I think overall the game is pretty good. Not perfect. No game ever is.

I do notice people griping alot about throwing out runners on ground balls in the infield. When I first got the game I had the very same thing happen. Then. I realized. It was all about how you use your controller.

First thing I would suggest is to not use button throws on any infield play.

Second thing that has worked for me really well is to make sure you are moving the right stick DIRECTLY to the right if your throwing to first. It wouldn't hurt to pull alittle bit down either. What you will find is that the throw will be right at the 1st baseman or alittle to the home plate side of the base. It will record the out every time. Since I've made a concious effort to do this both off and online. I haven't had a safe call yet the should be an out.

If you are straying up on the right stick in the slightest. You stand around an 80% chance that the 1st baseman will pull his foot. Yea. I know that's not very realistic but, If you try what i suggest, you will not see it happen.

I was playing a guy online and he was having the very same issue. 3 out of 5 throws he made to 1st were safe calls and he was getting frustrated. I turned on my mic to give him these tips. And he couldn't have been more thankful. He recorded 100% of his chances the rest of the game and relaxed a bit.

I understand what you are saying about the analog stick and how you push it and that would be enough for a person who has never played a MLB 2k game.

Now as for me I have owned every MLB 2k game I play on the hardest level and have won more than 90% of my online games and when a routine grounder goes to a gold glove second baseman and he underhands the ball to first and the runner is called safe, that makes the game a piece of crap.

Also the announcers are morons, I love when a pop fly is hit and they say, "that one drops in for a hit" when my outfielder is standing there waiting for it to fall so he can catch it.

so compared to the other mlb 2k games this one is the worst.

ReverendPhill
03-09-2009, 05:51 PM
This has some of the most buggy gameplay since 2k6(anyone else remember constant freezing issues for the first two weeks?). It really does make me question how they test the games before they release them. I've bought up the 2k series because each year they've made steps forward. Last year they put out the best controls especially with the pitching. This year they've upped the batting control and dumbed down the pitching...for whatever lame reason. They kept the trading cards but of course they aren't exactly trading cards since you can't actually trade them. I would've rather had the semi-buggy trading system of last year than nothing. Too many stupid glitches with defense. The worst is when a ball is hit right to a defender and they move extremely slow in getting rid of the ball and the guy hustling down the line makes it to first on a sharp hit grounder to a fielder. Just like every single year before this game, it feels like it's very close to being a GREAT game but they never put it all together.

This is proof that exclusive rights to sports leagues is bad for gamers. I'd love for EA(ANY other developer) to take a crack at MLB but I'd like to see them competing not being content knowing they have exclusive rights and can put out whatever they want because they know it's the only MLB game out there.

yanks2008
03-09-2009, 11:08 PM
I understand what you are saying about the analog stick and how you push it and that would be enough for a person who has never played a MLB 2k game.

Now as for me I have owned every MLB 2k game I play on the hardest level and have won more than 90% of my online games and when a routine grounder goes to a gold glove second baseman and he underhands the ball to first and the runner is called safe, that makes the game a piece of crap.

Also the announcers are morons, I love when a pop fly is hit and they say, "that one drops in for a hit" when my outfielder is standing there waiting for it to fall so he can catch it.

so compared to the other mlb 2k games this one is the worst.

I'll admit the announcers are terrible however i don't think this is as terrible a game as you guys are making it out to be. I like it for a couple of reasons.

1~The achievements I think it is a great list, even though it may take awhile its nice to see a sports game out there that can't be done in less than 5 hours.

2~The new stealing method I like it cause you actually have to have some amount of skill a.k.a knowing how/when to steal on a pitcher.

Also

3~The Classic cards it makes it fun because even if you have all the cards for both teams your still earning cards while playing.

The only bad thing for me is the slight glitches but they are easily overlooked and the commentators not that bad of a game.

Urban Myth
03-10-2009, 08:43 AM
I'll admit the announcers are terrible however i don't think this is as terrible a game as you guys are making it out to be. I like it for a couple of reasons.

2~The new stealing method I like it cause you actually have to have some amount of skill a.k.a knowing how/when to steal on a pitcher.

It seems that forums like this imo are a haven for those who hate. If your pissed you have to tell someone right? Anyone who would dare to listen or read to such whine. Will be able to do so right here.

One thing is funny. People complaining about announcers. I think that has got to be the most trivial of all complaints about a game. Really. They aren't that bad. Gary Thorne is one of the very best all around in the business, in any sport. Especially hockey. I love listening to the guy call a game anywhere. He's got a savy for sports in a natural sense. Problem with the commentary to me, is that 2k didnt take enough samples to put into the game as far as play calling. They did alot as far as players and breakdowns. They even give shot outs this year to the managers. To that I say...Great job! NHL '09 probably would be the example as far as how to do commentary in a game. Amazing depth and the sheer number of lines is an achievement in game development. MLB 2k9 does a good job, but not quite as good as nhl 09 did. They certainly didn't drop the preverbial ball though.

You touched on the Stealing method. Big time kudos here! I applaud the fact that there is someone here who pays attention to what it is all about.

It's about real baseball here. Reading and reacting to a pitcher. And trust me. EVERY single pitcher and thier deliveries have been painstakenly copied to resemble thier lifelike persona. THIS IS NOT ARCADE BASEBALL. This is baseball the way it is really played. I have stolen bases. Not at will, but because of my awareness to a pitchers delivery. If you try and take a base on the first pitch after you reach. You can forget it. Your toast. deservedly so to. If you just try and bounce off and run. You should be out and will be. If you take time to analyse a pitchers tendecies in his delivery, you will find out where you can gain a major jump, which still won't be an automati steal. Gives you a much better odd at getting the base though. In real life. Stealing bases in a art. Very well done here by the 2k crew. The Left Trigger method leaves it entirely up to you and your reaction as far as your chance at a base.

Great post though. Gld to see there are those who study the game. as well as play with eyes open.

SilverSluggerMZ
03-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Stealing in this game is not necessarily skill, just some sort of awareness and paying attention. All these people are ragging on this game saying it is worse and worse.. Well, is it? Or is it just you're not use to changes and adapting to new methods?

I'll be the first to admit it, yes the pitching is easier to control. Why is that a bad thing?
Yes, the hitting gives you more precise location. Why is that a bad thing?
Yes, stealing does require more than just a single tap of a button. Is simple awareness that hard to maneuver?

They can't make this game 100% satisfaction guaranteed to everyone's standards. But they can change little things and see how it comes out. So far, IMO, this game has played out well. 8/10.

I loved EA's MVP baseball as much as the next person, but everyone realizes that several EA producers and crew came over to 2K that worked in EA's baseball video game department when 2K bought the rights to baseball for Microsoft? Google it.

erod550
03-10-2009, 11:18 AM
My favorite comment so far by the people defending the game is "THIS IS NOT ARCADE BASEBALL." Well, could have fooled me. It sure isn't sim baseball. In real life your first baseman's foot doesn't magically morph a foot off the bag, all while he still acts like he just caught the throw and the guys out even though he isn't. Huge glitch. I don't care if there are ways around it. It should never happen.

Outfielders straight up drop fly balls not just occasionally, but several times a game. I tried playing with the errors slider and even at zero you still end up with multiple errors per game. Note: I am not expecting no errors in a game. Errors happen and are a part of baseball. What I'm not expecting is errors just for the sake of errors. You rarely see errors made on lazy fly balls in real life. It should not happen once or twice every game.

Home Runs. When will 2K learn that sim baseball does not include 15 homers per game? While some people love home runs and they like to hit 3 home runs in a game with Placido Polanco, it shouldn't happen on the default settings.

I'm sure eventually someone will come out with a slider set that will tone down the homers, but that won't fix outfielder glitches and the first baseman glitch. I love 2K basketball games and I was very sad when they had to discontinue College Hoops because of EA snatching the exclusive license for college basketball, and I will miss the 2K NBA games when they are gone. But seriously, they need to get out of the baseball game business because they have no idea what they are doing. MLB 2K9 might as well be The Bigs 2. It's just about as realistic.

I will play the game for the achievements but for actual realistic baseball I will play The Show, which is the only reason I even bought a PS3. Yea, I know, $400 for one game seems nuts, but if you are a baseball fanatic, trust me, go get one, it's worth it.

Sick l Gator
03-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Stealing in this game is not necessarily skill, just some sort of awareness and paying attention. All these people are ragging on this game saying it is worse and worse.. Well, is it? Or is it just you're not use to changes and adapting to new methods?

I'll be the first to admit it, yes the pitching is easier to control. Why is that a bad thing?
Yes, the hitting gives you more precise location. Why is that a bad thing?
Yes, stealing does require more than just a single tap of a button. Is simple awareness that hard to maneuver?

They can't make this game 100% satisfaction guaranteed to everyone's standards. But they can change little things and see how it comes out. So far, IMO, this game has played out well. 8/10.

I loved EA's MVP baseball as much as the next person, but everyone realizes that several EA producers and crew came over to 2K that worked in EA's baseball video game department when 2K bought the rights to baseball for Microsoft? Google it.

Here is the thing, no one is complaining about the game controls, I think they made it too easy. I would have like them to keep the some controls as last year especially the pitching.

The problem is the glitching gameplay the drop balls, terrible fielding, the amazing ability of a hitter to hit a high inside 98 mph fastball on an 0-2 count after missing to curveballs low. Also I would think that by now 2k could figure out how to make the players different sizes David Ortiz looks about 180 pounds.

If a person wants to defend this game then that person does not understand gaming and the advancements a company should make every year. Last year was a good step forward then this year it took a giant leap backwards.

Urban Myth
03-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Stealing in this game is not necessarily skill, just some sort of awareness and paying attention.

Lol. Last I checked. Having awareness and paying attention are every bit the definition of skill. Trust me man. If people are complaining because they simply can't do something. It is a sign of a marginal lack of skill.

reading this stuff is like comedy relief. I'm getting a good laugh from all of it.

yanks2008
03-10-2009, 06:50 PM
My favorite comment so far by the people defending the game is "THIS IS NOT ARCADE BASEBALL." Well, could have fooled me. It sure isn't sim baseball. In real life your first baseman's foot doesn't magically morph a foot off the bag, all while he still acts like he just caught the throw and the guys out even though he isn't. Huge glitch. I don't care if there are ways around it. It should never happen.

Outfielders straight up drop fly balls not just occasionally, but several times a game. I tried playing with the errors slider and even at zero you still end up with multiple errors per game. Note: I am not expecting no errors in a game. Errors happen and are a part of baseball. What I'm not expecting is errors just for the sake of errors. You rarely see errors made on lazy fly balls in real life. It should not happen once or twice every game.

Home Runs. When will 2K learn that sim baseball does not include 15 homers per game? While some people love home runs and they like to hit 3 home runs in a game with Placido Polanco, it shouldn't happen on the default settings.

I'm sure eventually someone will come out with a slider set that will tone down the homers, but that won't fix outfielder glitches and the first baseman glitch. I love 2K basketball games and I was very sad when they had to discontinue College Hoops because of EA snatching the exclusive license for college basketball, and I will miss the 2K NBA games when they are gone. But seriously, they need to get out of the baseball game business because they have no idea what they are doing. MLB 2K9 might as well be The Bigs 2. It's just about as realistic.

I will play the game for the achievements but for actual realistic baseball I will play The Show, which is the only reason I even bought a PS3. Yea, I know, $400 for one game seems nuts, but if you are a baseball fanatic, trust me, go get one, it's worth it.

Ok I definetely understand what you are saying about the first basement pulling his foot but through 10+ games that mightve happened to me twice and thats cuz the throw was in the dirt. Also what are these people talking about dropping routine fly balls that might happen to the CPU but it NEVER has happened to me, i dont know what you are talking about.

Also stealing in this game is definetely skillful. If you wait too long or go on a fastball count, yeah I think you should be good enough at baseball when playing this game to know wtf a fastball count would be in baseball, you should be and are out!

Although the homers are ridiculous, with some sliders changed I had 10 homers with Johnny Damon and that is not an exaggeration but that is awesome to do, how else are you gonna be able to hit like a total of 300 homers to get the full 1000 on this game.

SilverSluggerMZ
03-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Lol. Last I checked. Having awareness and paying attention are every bit the definition of skill. Trust me man. If people are complaining because they simply can't do something. It is a sign of a marginal lack of skill.

reading this stuff is like comedy relief. I'm getting a good laugh from all of it.

If you think video games take some sort of skill, I'd like to see you actually step a foot on a baseball diamond and try to hit a baseball. Or, just get out in general. It is a video game. No skill required. It's a bunch of hand gestures and movements. Think about it. Why do you think there are 7 year olds and 60 year old who play these games. It's recreational, enjoyable. Not some sort of skill. If pressing the LT down and then holding it is this so-called 'skill', what is a doctor to you? God?

SilverSluggerMZ
03-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Here is the thing, no one is complaining about the game controls, I think they made it too easy. I would have like them to keep the some controls as last year especially the pitching.

The problem is the glitching gameplay the drop balls, terrible fielding, the amazing ability of a hitter to hit a high inside 98 mph fastball on an 0-2 count after missing to curveballs low. Also I would think that by now 2k could figure out how to make the players different sizes David Ortiz looks about 180 pounds.

If a person wants to defend this game then that person does not understand gaming and the advancements a company should make every year. Last year was a good step forward then this year it took a giant leap backwards.

They should of allowed individuals to switch controls to last years or this years. But, it is easier, more user-friendly. People that played last years game complained about how hard it was to hit the spot. They complained it was so hard to not get their pitches rocked out of the park.

So, 2K did something about it. They changed it. Really, I mean honestly, what did you expect? Did you want it to be the exact same game and the people who couldn't understand it just sit there frustrated?

I don't drop any balls in the OF. Yes, the fielding is a little bit sensitive, but I don't commit more than 1 error every 3rd or 4th game... Don't know why everyone is having such a problem with moving their fielder under a cursor..

As far as not understanding gaming or 'advancements', who are you to say something like this? Who are you to say what is advancing and what isn't and who are you to judge who 'understands' games? You could look at it at a rational point-of-view: people have different opinions and different ideas. Don't be narrow-minded and hard-headed.

Urban Myth
03-10-2009, 09:12 PM
If you think video games take some sort of skill, I'd like to see you actually step a foot on a baseball diamond and try to hit a baseball. Or, just get out in general. It is a video game. No skill required. It's a bunch of hand gestures and movements. Think about it. Why do you think there are 7 year olds and 60 year old who play these games. It's recreational, enjoyable. Not some sort of skill. If pressing the LT down and then holding it is this so-called 'skill', what is a doctor to you? God?

Uhhhh. I was an ALL-State pitcher in Michigan. So yeah. I would say that i have experience. My thoughts were about those here who I think are taking the game too seriously that they have to hate on it simply because they lack the ability to figure out how to play the game to enjoy it. ;)

SilverSluggerMZ
03-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Uhhhh. I was an ALL-State pitcher in Michigan. So yeah. I would say that i have experience. My thoughts were about those here who I think are taking the game too seriously that they have to hate on it simply because they lack the ability to figure out how to play the game to enjoy it. ;)

I agree. But, I am tired of hearing people on this game on Xbox Live talking garbage about this so-called "skill" that doesn't seem to be apparent in video games.. maybe it is just me?

yanks2008
03-10-2009, 10:19 PM
They should of allowed individuals to switch controls to last years or this years. But, it is easier, more user-friendly. People that played last years game complained about how hard it was to hit the spot. They complained it was so hard to not get their pitches rocked out of the park.

So, 2K did something about it. They changed it. Really, I mean honestly, what did you expect? Did you want it to be the exact same game and the people who couldn't understand it just sit there frustrated?

I don't drop any balls in the OF. Yes, the fielding is a little bit sensitive, but I don't commit more than 1 error every 3rd or 4th game... Don't know why everyone is having such a problem with moving their fielder under a cursor..

As far as not understanding gaming or 'advancements', who are you to say something like this? Who are you to say what is advancing and what isn't and who are you to judge who 'understands' games? You could look at it at a rational point-of-view: people have different opinions and different ideas. Don't be narrow-minded and hard-headed.

Yeah really about the error things I mean maybe it is just the amazing Yankees im playing with but I get like one error every once in awhile not 3 or 4 a game.

Midnight Malice
03-11-2009, 08:34 AM
If video games don't take skill, then how is one person continuously better than another? It may not be skills comparable to hitting a baseball, catching a football, or shooting a basketball, but there is skill involved. It isn't skill knowing how to press a button, it is more about when to press a button... multiply that by 100 times a minute counting all button controls, and onscreen images, yeah... a lot of games do take skill to accel at them, just not the kind that most people define as skill.

CozierZebra
03-11-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't know how you can say playing a video game doesn't take skill. Hand-eye coordination are most definitely a skill many athletes rely on is it not? Any FPS fanatic would kick you in the balls while dicing carrots if you told them they have no skills.

Most athletes are also able to keep their mental focus in times of extreme pressure. I'm sure many will agree that, in gaming, these moments come far too often.

I'm not saying gamers and athletes are the same, because physically, they aren't. Comparable though? Read further: http://kotaku.com/5039965/bringing-sports-psychology-to-the-realm-of-video-games

CHT13
03-13-2009, 02:24 AM
i don't understand why people are having such a hard time with this game. i think the controls are fine and as far as the glitches, yeah there is some, not as many as a few of you claim but what sports game doesn't have BS plays. its not a bad game! and yes video games require some type of skill. especially the skill i use to convince my girlfriend that passing a level is more important then seeing her family. and while your bringing back MVP and RBI, don't forget tommy lasorda's baseball too!