PDA

View Full Version : Debate forum idea and poll

devlin
03-09-2009, 08:21 PM
I love a good debate, and I don't think their are enough debate threads in Off Topic. Instead the section is full of spam topics. Now don't get me wrong, I involve myself in these topics too, but sometimes I like a chance to express myself in a more argumental and intellectual(?) way.

Therefore I am putting an idea forward. The idea being a new forum in Off Topic, where members can create debate threads of a serious and fun nature. This brings two different types of members to the Debate forum. Those who want to debate who the hottest girl is or what the best car is or those wanting to debate war, smoking bans, law and order and other serious things.

There are a lot of members on here who love a good civil argument, I have come across a few recently and I have enjoyed discussing serious matters with them. I feel a void in the board without a specific place to go to express myself on matters that tingle my intellectual braincells, or those few that I have :P

I have made a poll, so I and the staff can see a more straightforward view on the suggestion. But please post your views and further suggestions on this subject.

Contrah
03-09-2009, 08:27 PM
You mean a News/Serious forum.

devlin
03-09-2009, 08:28 PM
;1691755']You mean a News/Serious forum.
You could call it many things.

NFaMuS one
03-09-2009, 08:36 PM
I vote yes!

I'm somewhat of a master debator. :woop: (lol, I couldn't help it)

On a serious note, I feel the same as devlin. A good debate is healthy, and I don't mean a debate including the childish bickering that some resort to. I mean a good, solid debate, where two people have different opinions, yet understand where each are coming from, while not pushing their views and opinions on the other person.

Now, I know we all know what a debate is and what it means, but that was just my rendition, so to speak. :drunk

RuggersAssassin
03-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I love a good debate. Then we don't have to cram it in the Off-Topic thread. Good idea.

devlin
03-09-2009, 08:48 PM
I vote yes!

I'm somewhat of a master debator. :woop: (lol, I couldn't help it)

On a serious note, I feel the same as devlin. A good debate is healthy, and I don't mean a debate including the childish bickering that some resort to. I mean a good, solid debate, where two people have different opinions, yet understand where each are coming from, while not pushing their views and opinions on the other person.

Now, I know we all know what a debate is and what it means, but that was just my rendition, so to speak. :drunk
I love a good debate. Then we don't have to cram it in the Off-Topic thread. Good idea.
Thanks for your views and your agreement on the idea guys :)

Minty
03-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Won't happen because the people on this site cannot express themselves without being dicks most of the time.

We try and let the odd thread go every once in a while, and it won't be long till someone comes in over the mark. End of the day, this is a gaming website. Why cause friction with arguements on news/war/reliogion etc which aren't needed.

Contrah
03-09-2009, 09:10 PM
I can see your point Minty, however, there are alot more older people on the forum, that like to get involved with intelligent discussion.

Pashos
03-09-2009, 09:12 PM
;1691979']I can see your point Minty, however, there are alot more older people on the forum, that like to get involved with intelligent discussion.

But there will always be that one guy who will come in and ruin it.

devlin
03-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Won't happen because the people on this site cannot express themselves without being dicks most of the time.

We try and let the odd thread go every once in a while, and it won't be long till someone comes in over the mark. End of the day, this is a gaming website. Why cause friction with arguements on news/war/reliogion etc which aren't needed.
Your right, things can get out of hand, but it can also happen in the Entertainment forum and the Media forum. If we make clear that behaviour will be monitored closely in the debate forum then most sensible people will be civil. Idiots are guaranteed, every forum has them but I think those members will be outnumbered by the amount of serious debaters, who have the capability to stay civil and on topic.

A simple thread in the Debate forum, explaining that moderators and active members will be keeping a close eye out for those willing to sabotage topics/discussions and will be dealt with and/or reported will help. Afterall, it's what forums have moderators for, to keep things sane and peaceful.

I say give this a test run. I think there's a big chance of it being a success.

Contrah
03-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Id be happy to specifically Moderate that forum, as im on alot.

devlin
03-09-2009, 09:20 PM
;1692018']Id be happy to specifically Moderate that forum, as im on alot.
Same here. If staff are willing to give out permissions like that.

Minty
03-09-2009, 10:42 PM
If you want to try it, start a social group and see how it goes ;)

wayzey1
03-09-2009, 10:43 PM
It would be nice to have a debate section though it would have to be moderated frequently. I've seen on many other forums that most debate sections become flame/spam boards when modded poorly(not saying mods do so here) and it's because of things regarding race, nationality, religion and everything else that sets us apart.

I think the debate forum should be make specifically about xbox and nothing else as when people debate things like religion and race all hell breaks loose on those threads.

If this was already planned to be an xbox-talk only debate section then I apologize.

dav1zzl3
03-09-2009, 11:09 PM
The only problem with a debate thread is keeping it under control. Debates often get VERY heated and each new thread would have to be carefully monitored.

Still, it's a good idea and offers everyone the chance to engage in an intelligent argument rather than people just proclaiming things like "This game sux so much bawlz!"

Minty
03-10-2009, 02:15 AM
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131914

Good luck with the social group ;)

Pashos
03-10-2009, 02:15 AM

Aww, I was just about to post the link :(

It was a really intense argument until someone said something about boobs.

Ingles
03-10-2009, 03:18 AM

Abso-fuckin-lootly hilarious thread link! Thanks for sharing Minty. :p

If ever the comics in the newspaper are rubbish I know I can always count on someone out there to brighten up the day a bit. heh

KillTheft_Echo
07-25-2009, 11:31 PM
First of all, Yes. I know this thread is old. But i thought it would be better to post in this thread rather then make another. Anyways though:

On the topic of a "Debate Forum," I'd say it would be a great addition to this already amazing site. I've read the responses above, and yes, in the end it is a gaming forum. But, what really is the difference between this, and the off-topic forum? This one would just be there solely to discuss important/debatable topics on. I don't see whats wrong with having a few well deserving members moderating the forum. Like 3 well rounded, trusted people that are willing to check up on it. I dunno if its to hard to do, but if its possible, the moderators of the forum would have the ability to ban people from the forum. Maybe just 24 hours for something that's not to bad, or a first offense. But the people who get on there, just to start flaming would be banned from the forum indefinitely. There's a subscriber's only forum, so I'm hoping the ability to ban per-forum couldn't be that tough. Of course, said moderators would have the ability to remove threads/posts that are unreasonable as well. Like said above, there are some members here that enjoy having the intellectually stimulating conversations that go beyond the average person's limits. AKA the ones who freak out on the slightest mention of something they don't agree with/believe in.

We'll, there you have it. I just thought i would put in my 2 cents. :bow:

RuggersAssassin
07-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Wow haha I forgot about this thread. I think it won't happen though they already close all topics related to current events/politics in the off topic thread. This will not happen and in the end it is a gaming forum. I would love to see one, but I just don't think its possible and I don't think the Admins want to "waste" time on this. I'd still love to see one come up though.

KillTheft_Echo
07-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Anyone else wanna read what i said up there? :D

Axe Argonian
07-27-2009, 02:48 PM
I would like to see it, but for damn sure, moderators will most likely need to do overtime considering the possibilities of idiots going in there and flaming other races/religions/etc.

Maybe a requirement would be neat.

Example: Be an active member on the site for 6 months and have at least 500-1,000 quality posts.

That could limit a debate forum to only mature people who won't cause hateful arguments leading to account infractions.

Brutalsleeper
07-31-2009, 09:36 AM
Example: Be an active member on the site for 6 months and have at least 500-1,000 quality posts.

That could limit a debate forum to only mature people who won't cause hateful arguments leading to account infractions.
That could work well as most flamers hardly ever make it past 200 posts.But im hardly in a position to talk of such things because of my tiny amount of posts.
I would definitely enjoy a debate forum.