PDA

View Full Version : Some new forum/site awards.

pensivedragon
03-10-2009, 04:26 AM
So I think it would be great to get some more awards going for the forum members here. Being an achievement addict myself, coming to a website devoted to helping me feed my habit, I think it only makes sense that we get some more awards to encourage forum achievement addicts :). Now, with that being said, I am not suggesting that all (or even most) of the awards that I will suggest below get implemented. My goal is to get at least TWO new awards, if I can figured out at least that many awards that people agree would be a cool new addition, I would be happy.

These awards are just 'first drafts' and I would appreciate constructive feedback to help me improve them. If you think an idea will not work, tell me why. Such as: already been done, too much work would be required, my dog thinks it is a bad idea, etc. Even better if you said 'That would be too much work, HOWEVER if you did this and that it might be possible'. Also, feel free to suggest some alternate titles for some of them!

The numbers in () are simply placeholders based roughly on existing awards and are simply for example.

Improving the Site Awards

Nitpicker/Amateur Editor/Teachers Pet - Found (5/10/20) spelling or grammatical mistakes around the site that were then fixed. *There are already awards for submitting achievement road maps and game guides, so why not an award for helping make those as accurate and ledgible as possible?*

The good kind of cheating... - Submitted cheats for (5/10/20) different games. *You have award for submitting achievement pictures and lists and this is very similar. The only difference is that not all games will have cheats, which I think just makes it more challenging and interesting. Enough games have them that it is still quite possible to get.*

Improving Forum Quality Awards

Scholar/Spelling Bee - The majority of your posts have good grammar and spelling. Picture could be a bee, an apple, or a graduation hat. *There is no set amount of posts or anything for this one. Moderators could simply keep an eye out for good spelling, and maybe around the time a person has like 200 or 500 posts under their belt, a decision could be made to give out this award. There are a lot of good spellers on this site, but they are not the majority. This award could encourage more forum members shape up and take the time to write well. There could also be the addition that once you have it, if you start writing badly it could be take away.*

Noob Wrangler - Greeted (30?) new members OR Answered/Assited (10?) new member with questions. Picture could be a Lasso, a fence, or a waving hand. *There is no lack of people who are willing to greet and help new members, but it seems to be set group of people. This award could would aknowledge their assistance in making this a great site, and would likely make others join in and help out as well.*

Boostmaster/Helping Hand - Helped boost forum members in (5?) games that you have already completed. *There are lots of people who boost, but I do not beleive there are that many that will boost in games that they have already got all the achievements for.*

Now Introducing.../Welcome! - Created a well written and informative introductory post in the Member Profiles forum. If that is too easy, you could also require them to have (10) really good posts and/or post in one or more of the other threads that let people know them better, such as the faces of x360a thread, the games collection thread, gamertag thread, etc. Picture could be of a waving hand, shaking hands, welcome mat.*There is only a small percentage of people that bother to write good introductions. Most are along the lines of ''Sup! I have been using your guides and like the site so I decided to sign up!" with no information on what games they play, or where they are from etc. Lots of people when they first sign up will probably not know about the award (maybe a sticky telling them about it?) so maybe there could be a clause that would allow them to go back and make a new introduction once they find out about it, or edit their origional.*

Sticky!/Tack it Up - Started (3/5) threads found to be interesting/helpful enough to be stickied. *This might be part of the requirements for the award that already exist for an exceptional thread, I do not know what you need for that so I am unsure. Still, I thought it might be a good idea for an award, or at least something to build on with other suggestions.*

Informer/Reporter/News Hound - Told people about (5/10?) new and interesting gaming news items(or good deals?). Picture could be of a magnifying glass or a Sherlock Holmes hat. *We do not all have the time, or the inclination to go out and seach for new and interesting information about or favorite games, so those people that bring it back here are quite useful. The stipulation would have to be that they are the first one posting about it, and that it is recent, as in not 6 months old news. It could also be made more difficult be requiring it comes from a smaller website (ie: not IGN)*

Contests

Speed Contests - There are already contests for getting the most gamer points in a certain amount of time, and for being the best in an organized tournament game. But some people may want to participate in something a bit quicker. So how about races to see who can get a certain single achievement(or series of achievements) fastest. Such as an achievement for beating a game, reaching 1000 kills, or collecting all the items. To make sure no one gets a head start, entry into the contest would require the player to not even have the game (even with 0 points) on your gamer card, to prove you are starting from scratch. this could be tied into the release of a new game as well to make sure no one has played it before at a friends house or on a different account for added equality.

Popularity Contests - This suggestion is also a question. It has been mentioned before that there is some inherent problem with 'Popularity Contest' based awards. So in addition to suggesting some I am also wondering why they are unacceptable. There are already contests for the best forum signatures and for the member of the month, are these not popularity contests? I do not know how they are voted on, so I am curious to know how they are done, and if a similar way of voting could not be applied to other subjects. Such as 'Quote of the Month' or 'Thread of the Month' or year, or week, or bi-annually.

Questions and comments encouraged!

*EDIT*

Hold the Press! - Submitted or contributed to 1/5/10 news items that were accepted and put on the front page.

Retro Gamer - Member has been gaming since the days of...(Commador 64, Nes, Atari 5200, whatever seems like a good place to start)

Old fashioned butt whoopin'/I'm as young as the games I play! - Member is over the age of...(40/50/60?)

Evil Demon55
03-10-2009, 05:25 AM
Sound like a cool idea, but I like how the names of an award are bronze/silver/gold and are all the same name. It makes it easier for all of us to know which award is which rather thn 1 award with 3 different names. Also, the amount is rather high. Ussually 5 is silver, not bronze. Bronze is 3 (1 for unknown picture) so it should stay like that, other than that though, it sounds like a cool idea. Some of the awards would be hard for the mod team to hand out though, like the good poster/noob wrangler.

pensivedragon
03-10-2009, 05:29 AM
the onename/second/third thing I did is not for the levels of the award, it was to show possible alternative names. If people like one of those names it could then have multiple levels if called for.
such as:
Bronze Nitpicker
Silver Nitpicker
Gold Nitpicker

And while I think about it, what about a platinum level or diamond? For outstanding contribution such as 50 or 100 submits.

True, the good intro poster award could be a bit difficult, or more likely time consuming. But I figured it was worth a mention as there is a huge amount of people that do crappy intros.

And as for the Noob Wrangler award, it does not have to require a certain amount of posts to help. It could just be 'This member has been seen helping numerous new members' and then just as mods and admin go about their daily postings and such if someone stands out as being very helpful and/or greeting alot of new members over a period of time (a week, a month, etc) they could then give out the award. So it does not take much extra effort on their part.

Evil Demon55
03-10-2009, 05:44 AM
Yea, I like the idea. 50 Platinum 100- Diamond... seems kind of high. Plus getting 10 achievement pictures is a pain, 5 took me forever... 20 would be hard enough. They probably have thought of it, but who knows. Still, I like the idea and if some of the awards were to be put into action, I would try and get some of them.

pensivedragon
03-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Hold the Press! - Submitted or contributed to 1/5/10 news items that were accepted and put on the front page.

I was just reading some of the news items and saw one that thanked a poster for info on the news story. This could be a better version or alternative to the informer one.

Also, we have an award for being a girl gamer, so why not one for being a gamer in the early days (atari, nes, commador 64) or for being elderly but still loving games.

Retro Gamer - Member has been gaming since the days of...(Commador 64, Nes, Atari 5200, whatever seems like a good place to start)

Old fashioned butt whoopin'/I'm as young as the games I play! - Member is over the age of...(40/50/60?)

Evil Demon55
03-10-2009, 06:07 AM
For retro, I could be part of that since I have owned old systems my whole life, would I then qualifiy or would you have to be playing system as of release? Think of that :p

Tussell
03-10-2009, 06:27 AM
I'm pretty sure they're going to be getting rid of the cheats section of each game. I think I heard that somewhere.

We have the thread up anyways.

Jappe XBA
03-10-2009, 06:29 AM
Nitpicker/Amateur Editor/Teachers Pet - Found (5/10/20) spelling or grammatical mistakes around the site that were then fixed.

Could be possible (?)

The good kind of cheating... - Submitted cheats for (5/10/20) different games.

Does this site even use the Cheats section anymore?

Scholar/Spelling Bee - The majority of your posts have good grammar and spelling.

Again, how could possibly moderators follow the actions of 33,000 active members...?

Noob Wrangler - Greeted (30?) new members OR Answered/Assited (10?) new member with questions.

This would increase a lot of spam in the Members section...

Boostmaster/Helping Hand - Helped boost forum members in (5?) games that you have already completed.

And how do moderators/admins know who exactly have helped people boost games they've already completed?
[/quote]

Now Introducing.../Welcome! - Created a well written and informative introductory post in the Member Profiles forum. If that is too easy, you could also require them to have (10) really good posts and/or post in one or more of the other threads that let people know them better, such as the faces of x360a thread, the games collection thread, gamertag thread, etc.

How do you determine "a well written" introduction?

Sticky!/Tack it Up - Started (3/5) threads found to be interesting/helpful enough to be stickied.

Also in here, members would just make some stupid threads about how many animals there is in the world and such :eek:

Informer/Reporter/News Hound - Told people about (5/10?) new and interesting gaming news items(or good deals?).

Nah...

Speed Contests - There are already contests for getting the most gamer points in a certain amount of time, and for being the best in an organized tournament game. But some people may want to participate in something a bit quicker. So how about races to see who can get a certain single achievement(or series of achievements) fastest. Such as an achievement for beating a game, reaching 1000 kills, or collecting all the items. To make sure no one gets a head start, entry into the contest would require the player to not even have the game (even with 0 points) on your gamer card, to prove you are starting from scratch. this could be tied into the release of a new game as well to make sure no one has played it before at a friends house or on a different account for added equality.

Just a big hazzzzzzle.

Popularity Contests - This suggestion is also a question. It has been mentioned before that there is some inherent problem with 'Popularity Contest' based awards. So in addition to suggesting some I am also wondering why they are unacceptable. There are already contests for the best forum signatures and for the member of the month, are these not popularity contests? I do not know how they are voted on, so I am curious to know how they are done, and if a similar way of voting could not be applied to other subjects. Such as 'Quote of the Month' or 'Thread of the Month' or year, or week, or bi-annually.

Could work.

I could say that I've played games since 1940s and I've born in 1994. You can't tell me I'm telling a lie because then I would summon you :uzi:

Lol.

pensivedragon
03-10-2009, 07:03 AM
I did not realize they would be getting rid of cheats. I find that a little surprising, but only a little. I do not tend to use them myself, and maybe enough others do not as well so as to make it useless? Also, I guess if you really want to know if a game has cheats you can go to the forum and it will probably be a sticky somewhere.

Could be possible (?)
I hope so, it at least seems close enough to what they already have for other things to be acceptable.

Again, how could possibly moderators follow the actions of 33,000 active members...?
If they went out of their way to look for well made posts, yes it is alot of work. But if they just keep an eye out for them while they do other stuff, it could be quite easy. Maybe whenever they see a really good post they just the persons name down, if they find they have written a persons name like 10 or 20 times then mods could give out the award? I dont know the best way to do it, but I think it is worth at least a little effort.

This would increase a lot of spam in the Members section...
If it was soley based on grettings I would tend to agree. So it could be paired or replaced with posts for helping new members. And if the poster is actually replying with useful information, it is not spam, and therefore this one could not be spammed? I hope...

And how do moderators/admins know who exactly have helped people boost games they've already completed?
I do not know. This one is probably too much work, definatly too much as it stands now, but maybe I can think of a way to make it easier to track...

How do you determine "a well written" introduction?
3 paragraphs? As it stands now, it seems 50% of introductions are a single line, Just horrible. Just about anything would be an improvement.

Also in here, members would just make some stupid threads about how many animals there is in the world and such :eek:
They might... but how would it get stickied? My understanding is a mod has to sticky the thread, so it would have to be something that is actually useful to people.

Nah...
I came up with the one for front page news items after this one, which I think is better, so I agree, this is likely useless.

Just a big hazzzzzzle.
I don't think it is much more hassel than any other type of tournament. Maybe a little more upfront work to make sure no one has the game, but you also do not have to deal with rankings and matchups for a whole tournament. Unless I am missing something big (and I very well could be) this kind of tournament would be quicker and easier for both the person that runs it, and the people that participate in it.

I could say that I've played games since 1940s and I've born in 1994. You can't tell me I'm telling a lie because then I would summon you :uzi:
*summons the power of Ace Attorney*
OBJECTION!
How could you only be 15 and have played games since the 1940s?

Lol.
I thought it was pretty funny. Dunno how many members would qualify but it would be fun to find out.

punker
03-10-2009, 08:39 AM

Nitpicker/Amateur Editor/Teachers Pet - Found (5/10/20) spelling or grammatical mistakes around the site that were then fixed.

Fair enough.

why not an award for helping make those as accurate and ledgible as possible?*

Noob Wrangler - Greeted (30?) new members OR Answered/Assited (10?)
This award could would aknowledge their assistance in making this a great site, and would likely make others join in and help out as well.*

There are lots of people who boost, but I do not beleive there are that many that will boost in games that they have already got all the achievements for.*

so maybe there could be a clause that would allow them to go back and make a new introduction once they find out about it, or edit their origional.*

*We do not all have the time, or the inclination to go out and seach for new and interesting information about or favorite games

(Commador 64, Nes, Atari 5200, whatever seems like a good place to start)

That's seven. Where's my award?

narcolepticshee
03-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Fact is, the awards are for rewarding people for improving the site. Whilst some of you awards do that, some of them clearly don't - so I think you'll have a problem with getting them through.

Peace

devlin
03-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Some creative ideas. I won;t go into them thoroughly right now because I'm on my dinner break and have to get back to work. But I shall when I get home.

xTIGERLILLIEx
03-10-2009, 11:26 AM

Nitpicker/Amateur Editor/Teachers Pet - Found (5/10/20) spelling or grammatical mistakes around the site that were then fixed. *There are already awards for submitting achievement road maps and game guides, so why not an award for helping make those as accurate and ledgible as possible?*

this idea wont work, due to the differences in the english language.
we (british) spell colour like that using the queens english
americans use american english and spell color like that.

spelling for one country is different from another. if a award is gonna be submitted for spelling and gramma, whos language is it gonna be in.

Nightdragon
03-10-2009, 12:35 PM

While this does infact help the site, it could be easily "Cheated". For example, one friend makes a guide, and the other friend posts in the "found any typos" thread to get it collected. Also, it ius hard to track if the appropriate thread is not used.

The good kind of cheating... - Submitted cheats for (5/10/20) different games. *You have award for submitting achievement pictures and lists and this is very similar. The only difference is that not all games will have cheats, which I think just makes it more challenging and interesting. Enough games have them that it is still quite possible to get.*

As mosts cheats remove the ability to gain achievements, it would not really be necessary. Also, the cheats section is not really updated that often.

Improving Forum Quality Awards

Scholar/Spelling Bee - The majority of your posts have good grammar and spelling. Picture could be a bee, an apple, or a graduation hat. *There is no set amount of posts or anything for this one. Moderators could simply keep an eye out for good spelling, and maybe around the time a person has like 200 or 500 posts under their belt, a decision could be made to give out this award. There are a lot of good spellers on this site, but they are not the majority. This award could encourage more forum members shape up and take the time to write well. There could also be the addition that once you have it, if you start writing badly it could be take away.*

Impossible to track when we have 30,000+ active members.

Noob Wrangler - Greeted (30?) new members OR Answered/Assited (10?) new member with questions. Picture could be a Lasso, a fence, or a waving hand. *There is no lack of people who are willing to greet and help new members, but it seems to be set group of people. This award could would aknowledge their assistance in making this a great site, and would likely make others join in and help out as well.*

First point: Easily Spammed

Second Point: While it wouldnt be as MUCH spam as the first idea of welcoming a member, it could easily be spammed just the same. Members should WANT to help eachother out without incentive anyway, right?

Boostmaster/Helping Hand - Helped boost forum members in (5?) games that you have already completed. *There are lots of people who boost, but I do not beleive there are that many that will boost in games that they have already got all the achievements for.*

Impossible to track

Now Introducing.../Welcome! - Created a well written and informative introductory post in the Member Profiles forum. If that is too easy, you could also require them to have (10) really good posts and/or post in one or more of the other threads that let people know them better, such as the faces of x360a thread, the games collection thread, gamertag thread, etc. Picture could be of a waving hand, shaking hands, welcome mat.*There is only a small percentage of people that bother to write good introductions. Most are along the lines of ''Sup! I have been using your guides and like the site so I decided to sign up!" with no information on what games they play, or where they are from etc. Lots of people when they first sign up will probably not know about the award (maybe a sticky telling them about it?) so maybe there could be a clause that would allow them to go back and make a new introduction once they find out about it, or edit their origional.*

Pointless

Sticky!/Tack it Up - Started (3/5) threads found to be interesting/helpful enough to be stickied. *This might be part of the requirements for the award that already exist for an exceptional thread, I do not know what you need for that so I am unsure. Still, I thought it might be a good idea for an award, or at least something to build on with other suggestions.*

A+ thread award pretty much covers this

Informer/Reporter/News Hound - Told people about (5/10?) new and interesting gaming news items(or good deals?). Picture could be of a magnifying glass or a Sherlock Holmes hat. *We do not all have the time, or the inclination to go out and seach for new and interesting information about or favorite games, so those people that bring it back here are quite useful. The stipulation would have to be that they are the first one posting about it, and that it is recent, as in not 6 months old news. It could also be made more difficult be requiring it comes from a smaller website (ie: not IGN)*

I don't really understand the concept here, but keep watching the forums concerning news.

Contests

Questions and comments encouraged!

All of these are impossible to track, and popularity contents do not help the community. Member of the month is the only thing we weill ever run as a popularity contest.

*EDIT*

Suggested ages ago and being implemented.

Does not help the community and pointless

Pretty much the same as the last one

So as you can see, most of them are not really needed, as they either do not help the site or are impossible to track.

Jappe XBA
03-10-2009, 02:15 PM

Suggested ages ago and being implemented.

Wow, I've got one award waiting then, because I sent Minty or Webb (don't remember who) a heads-up about GTA IV TLAD trailer and new screens and it was made a news! Also my name is in there to prove it :cool:

KRIS DETH
03-10-2009, 04:55 PM
This is a pretty cool idea :)
But sadly i agree with alot of what NightDragon has said :(

But i've been playing since the mega drive :D GIVE ME MY AWARD!!

KFZ Scrubs
03-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Lol, if those ideas would ever be implemented...... the awards lists would be long as hell, like most of them could be recieved pretty easily.
Also i agree with others who said that some are just gonna be too hard to trace due to all the members of the site.

Jappe XBA
03-11-2009, 02:18 PM
And some of them don't help the site grow, like Night said...

Tomscfc
03-11-2009, 04:24 PM
So as you can see, most of them are not really needed, as they either do not help the site or are impossible to track.
I have to agree with night here but i have to say to you, they were good ideas but unfortunately they were inpractical for the site :)

pensivedragon
03-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all the comments so far, especially the ones from Nightdragon. I am a little disappointed by the lack of suggestions on how to improve on some of these awards, but at least I now have a better idea of why some will not work.

why not an award for helping make those as accurate and ledgible as possible?*

Noob Wrangler - Greeted (30?) new members OR Answered/Assited (10?)
This award could would aknowledge their assistance in making this a great site, and would likely make others join in and help out as well.*

There are lots of people who boost, but I do not beleive there are that many that will boost in games that they have already got all the achievements for.*

so maybe there could be a clause that would allow them to go back and make a new introduction once they find out about it, or edit their origional.*

*We do not all have the time, or the inclination to go out and seach for new and interesting information about or favorite games

(Commador 64, Nes, Atari 5200, whatever seems like a good place to start)

That's seven. Where's my award?

DOH! And here I am trying to get the site to give out an award for good spelling... So much for my new spell checker. In any case you are not eligible, the award is NOT for forum posts.

this idea wont work, due to the differences in the english language.
we (british) spell colour like that using the queens english
americans use american english and spell color like that.

spelling for one country is different from another. if a award is gonna be submitted for spelling and gramma, whos language is it gonna be in.

I hardly think that the difference in spelling between American and British English would be enough reason not to have this award. I am Canadian myself and use the British spelling for things, but I would not try and have someone add a u to color in a game guide.

While this does infact help the site, it could be easily "Cheated". For example, one friend makes a guide, and the other friend posts in the "found any typos" thread to get it collected. Also, it ius hard to track if the appropriate thread is not used.

I do not agree that it could be easily cheated. As someone still has to make a good game guide that gets accepted. And if people are somehow able to spam game guides with a few small typos for their friends to pick out, does this not help out the site in the end with more game guides? I also can not believe that there would be more than a handful of people that would even try to cheat to get this. Most would get it legitimately and help out the site. I do not think they would even need to cheat. for someone that wants the award bad enough, it would be far easier to search through all the posted guides and find a few errors then to have your friends write 5 or more of them with mistakes put in on purpose.
And as far as tracking it if the right thread is not used, why even bother? My uderstanding is submitted achievements are only tracked if posted into the correct forum, why make this any different? Only mistakes posted to the correct forum would be eligible for the award.
If this award is a bit easier to get than the others it could always have its requirements boosted as well to make it a bit tougher. level 1 could be 'found mistakes in 5 different guides/news posts/etc.' level 2 10, and level 3, 20.

Does not help the community and pointless

Pretty much the same as the last one

Does the female gamer award benefit the community more? I have nothing against the award, I just thought a few more along the same lines might be nice as well. In fact I bet that old gamers are even rarer than female ones. Retro gamers might be about the same amount though.

Impossible to track when we have 30,000+ active members.
I am not suggesting they go out and try to find people for this award, just sit back and notice good posts while just doing their normal forum browsing. Whenever they happen to see a particularly good post, they could make a note of it, and if they notice someone often enough, give out the award.

First point: Easily Spammed

Second Point: While it wouldnt be as MUCH spam as the first idea of welcoming a member, it could easily be spammed just the same. Members should WANT to help eachother out without incentive anyway, right?
I agree the first point is easily spammed, so it is out. However, for your second point, I would agrue that
1) If they are actually posting helpful answers and assisting new members then it is technically not spam, and therefore the award can not be spammed.
and 2)Yes, members should want to help out, and they do. But is there anything wrong with increasing the number of members that want to help by giving some incentive, or rewarding those that already do?

l BANi l Shadow
03-15-2009, 08:51 PM
most of these things are pretty good, they're achievable which is the main thing

XxBlueSpade2xX
03-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Good ideas, I'm not sure they would work out very well though.

dakisbac
03-16-2009, 06:14 AM
I have some ideas regarding awards.

I think the Word of Mouth award (which I have) should be given out to members who get a certain amount of referrals, and then have a separate award for representers. It'd be awesome to see an award with a picture of bling called Representin'

Ingles
03-16-2009, 11:50 AM
While all great ideas, mods have enough to keep up with in the forums that it'd be difficult to track whose actually helped 10 people, etc... Besides, you'd have those who "thought" they helped 10 people and then start sending private messages to the mods saying, "Where's my award!?". Again good ideas, just not sure how realistic they'd be to implement in the site.

KFZ Scrubs
03-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Well here's what i was thinking.
Since we're an achievement website, how about awards for achievement milestones for the members?
Like people who break 100k, 200k and (for stallion) 300k get a badge on the site.
I already know that their gamercard is right ontop of the awards, but it'd still be something cool i guess.

Shadownage
03-22-2009, 10:21 PM

I think the Word of Mouth award (which I have) should be given out to members who get a certain amount of referrals, and then have a separate award for representers. It'd be awesome to see an award with a picture of bling called Representin'

Dude, that would be awesome!

em0 pie
03-22-2009, 11:02 PM
i do think that there should be more even though im yet to recieve an award, im quite new to the site but yeah some good ideas i think.

Hayden
03-23-2009, 12:21 AM

We have members from many different countries and English is not there first language.

Would be a bit unfair against them and some may get upset if the grammar is constantly corrected

Cheats should be included with the achievement guide/road map.

Same as the first idea.

Many people already greet new members to up the post count + members should want to help, after all we are a community.

Very difficult to track.

Maybe some people don't want to write introductions, lots of work to track aswell.

If people make good threads they will get A+ award, if they continue to be very helpful they could later get considered for member of the month.

The news posts on the front page covers info on new games, good deals if there are any etc....

Contests

We would have to check all the times to see who gets it first, gamesaving is getting harder and harder to track, you could have people playing on others accounts etc..

Member of the month = Decided by the admins
Signature of the fortnight = voted for based on which is the best looking signature, it is not a popularity contest as many different members win

Being implemented.

Both pointless and maybe some people don't want there age broadcast.

To easy to manipulate, I could get many people to make up accounts just to increase my referral.

Word of mouth covers them all.

Since we're an achievement website, how about awards for achievement milestones for the members?
Like people who break 100k, 200k and (for stallion) 300k get a badge on the site.

1. Doesn't help the site.
2. You have your gamerscore right by your awards anyway

i do think that there should be more even though im yet to recieve an award.

Become a subscriber you get 2 awards for that and we hold subscriber only tournaments were the top 4 competitor receive a forum award every month.

pensivedragon
03-23-2009, 02:15 AM
Great post Hayden, thanks for the detailed breakdown on why the awards I have suggested would not work. I will accept most of your reasons, but there are a few I would like to contest.

Originally Posted by pensivedragon http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/images/X360A/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1693476#post1693476)

We have members from many different countries and English is not there first language.

Would be a bit unfair against them and some may get upset if the grammar is constantly corrected

I want to be clear, for this award I am not suggesting people correct everyones forum posts. This would be for the same things that are already posted into the 'Found any typos?' forum. So it would be for official news posts, stickies, guides, achievement descriptions etc.
If there are members writing guides in english, when that is not their first language, that is no excuse not to be corrected like any other. If a guide is poorly worded, confusing, or filled with typos, no matter who wrote it, it should be fixed up to be as helpful and clear as possible for all the people that will use it.
As for members getting upset, when I am trying to speak or write another language (in my case, french) I fully expect and appreciate it when people point out how to fix, or improve, my language skills.

Same as the first idea.

I know that there are members from other countries that would qualify for this award, and I would bet all of my achievement points that for some of them, english is not their first language. In my opinion, this is not a valid excuse not to reward those that do take the time and effort to write nice posts. I am willing to accept that it might be too much work, I have suggested a way around that. But, not being an admin, I realize that I still may not grasp how much work it would be even with my suggestion.

We would have to check all the times to see who gets it first, gamesaving is getting harder and harder to track, you could have people playing on others accounts etc..

As for having to check who gets it first, participants could be required to upload a screenshot of the timestamp for when the achievement(s) were obtained. Any gotten offline are automatically disqualified. As for people playing on others accounts, I am not totally sure what you mean. If you are reffering to multiple people playing on the same account to be able to game non-stop, then there is nothing you can do about that, and it is just as much of a problem in any other tournament.
Now, I realize that gamesaving is a problem. Especially in this kind of contest it could be even more tempting to do so. But this site already has anti-game saving policies and the standard contest entry rules of 'member for at least a month with a minimum of 100 posts' will rule out the majority of new members who might try such a thing. But, if some person does end up winning with a gamesave and they are found out, you simply give the award to the runner-up in addition to the standard gamesaver banhammer.

I am not totally set on this kind of contest, I simply think it would be a nice alternative to the ones this site already runs. Not everyone has the quick reflexes to win a FPS tournament, or the endurance and overall ability to win a GSL contest. So a a quick race to be the first to get one or more certain achievements could be a nice alternative for members of the forum that canot compete in the current type of contests.

Anyway, I am down to fighting for just the above three. I will concede all the others for now. I will try to think up some more, but for the moment I am all tapped out.

Evil Demon55
03-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Become a subscriber you get 2 awards for that and we hold subscriber only tournaments were the top 4 competitor receive a forum award every month.

Which two? Subscriber award and what else, donator?

Hayden
03-23-2009, 11:07 AM
I want to be clear, for this award I am not suggesting people correct everyones forum posts. This would be for the same things that are already posted into the 'Found any typos?' forum. So it would be for official news posts, stickies, guides, achievement descriptions etc.
If there are members writing guides in english, when that is not their first language, that is no excuse not to be corrected like any other. If a guide is poorly worded, confusing, or filled with typos, no matter who wrote it, it should be fixed up to be as helpful and clear as possible for all the people that will use it.

There are VERY few typo's in the news section due to the people who post them.
The guide team check through guides thoroughly before there posted so there should not be that many problems there, maybe just with the older guides.
I just don't like the idea, as I feel people will pick through every single thing trying to find mistakes to get the award and if that happened we would again be issuing a lot of awards which takes time.

Only the admins can issue awards of which there are 4, spends most of his time coding the site anothers time is split between news,reviews,previews etc so that leaves only 2.

As for members getting upset, when I am trying to speak or write another language (in my case, french) I fully expect and appreciate it when people point out how to fix, or improve, my language skills.

Just because you appreciate it, does not mean other people will, we try and think of everyone when we make decisions

I know that there are members from other countries that would qualify for this award, and I would bet all of my achievement points that for some of them, english is not their first language. In my opinion, this is not a valid excuse not to reward those that do take the time and effort to write nice posts. I am willing to accept that it might be too much work, I have suggested a way around that. But, not being an admin, I realize that I still may not grasp how much work it would be even with my suggestion.

I don't think people should be rewarded for writing nice posts, if you have the ability you should want to make your posts legible and "nice"

Like Night said it would also be very hard to track with all our members, like you suggested before we could sit back an reward people who we notice, but then we will have people message us saying "my posts are nice, why haven't I got my award" we would have LOTS of inbox messages about it.

As for having to check who gets it first, participants could be required to upload a screenshot of the timestamp for when the achievement(s) were obtained. Any gotten offline are automatically disqualified. As for people playing on others accounts, I am not totally sure what you mean. If you are reffering to multiple people playing on the same account to be able to game non-stop, then there is nothing you can do about that, and it is just as much of a problem in any other tournament.
Now, I realize that gamesaving is a problem. Especially in this kind of contest it could be even more tempting to do so. But this site already has anti-game saving policies and the standard contest entry rules of 'member for at least a month with a minimum of 100 posts' will rule out the majority of new members who might try such a thing. But, if some person does end up winning with a gamesave and they are found out, you simply give the award to the runner-up in addition to the standard gamesaver banhammer.

I am not totally set on this kind of contest, I simply think it would be a nice alternative to the ones this site already runs. Not everyone has the quick reflexes to win a FPS tournament, or the endurance and overall ability to win a GSL contest. So a a quick race to be the first to get one or more certain achievements could be a nice alternative for members of the forum that canot compete in the current type of contests.

We have more tournaments then just fps, with the amount of active members we have it would be a lot of work for us, the gsl only lasts for 8 weeks and has around 100 members and it takes a lot of time.

If you have a real popular game, say gears of war or something, you could have 1000's of entrants, how do you decide which game to race in? what if some people don't want a certain game? do you hold a race in more then 1 game at once.

You have to remember that all the moderators, admins and other staff all have lives off the side and we all give up our spare time to help run it.

Which two? Subscriber award and what else, donator?

Yes subscriber and donator, and the longer you subscribe your donations increase and so do your donator award level.

KFZ Scrubs
03-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Yes subscriber and donator, and the longer you subscribe your donations increase and so do your donator award level.
where can i subscribe?!
I'm getting a card soon so i can finally do stuff online and i always wanted to subscribe here.

Hayden
03-23-2009, 11:13 AM
where can i subscribe?!
I'm getting a card soon so i can finally do stuff online and i always wanted to subscribe here.

There is an FAQ all about subscribing found HERE (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56120). :)

KFZ Scrubs
03-23-2009, 11:45 AM
There is an FAQ all about subscribing found HERE (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56120). :)
Thanks Hayden.... gosh can't wait to finally get a card!

pensivedragon
03-25-2009, 03:26 AM
Thank you again Hayden, for the detailed explanation. I did not realize there are four, and only four people that can hand out awards. I can see how any new awards could be a drain on their time. It also appears, that it is not that they are against new awards taking up their time, as a new one has been announced, but that they just wish to be highly selective about which ones that do. If time is the major influence behind the selection of new awards, could not more people be enlisted to help? Or create a new position whose sole job, or a major part, is to track and hand out awards? Freeing up more time for the four that currently handle it? This is of course just a shot in the dark, since I am sure there is a good reason that you would not have already done this, but I had to ask.

There are VERY few typo's in the news section due to the people who post them.
The guide team check through guides thoroughly before there posted so there should not be that many problems there, maybe just with the older guides.
I just don't like the idea, as I feel people will pick through every single thing trying to find mistakes to get the award and if that happened we would again be issuing a lot of awards which takes time.

I am not trying to suggest that there are many typos. The whole reason I thought of it in the first place, was because I was looking around the site for ideas, and noticed there is an award for submitting achievements lists, guides, road maps, good ideas, and now news items. When I saw that there was an official sticky to submit typos to, but no award for it, I assumed it would be a perfect fit, as it improves the site by keeping it as clear and legible as it can be. I know that the staff here do an excellent job, but the existence of a place to submit typos means that at least a few slip through. It is probably not even typos that get through, but inconsistencies between the guide and game. The staff can not have individually played every game that comes out, so it is people that are playing the game and checking the guide for it that would catch it in the end.
I do not really see how this is much additional work. Right now, people post into the typos forum, and someone then has to go find the typo and fix it. The only addition would be while reading the typo posts you check the name of the person that found it and track how many times their name comes up.
Now, granted, if you made an award for this, the total amount of posts in that thread might go up, but as long as they are finding valid problems to fix, is that really a bad thing? plus there must be a finite amount of problems to fix, so there can only be so many posts about found mistakes. The only real problem I could foresee would be having to read multiple posts about the same typo.

I don't think people should be rewarded for writing nice posts, if you have the ability you should want to make your posts legible and "nice"

Like Night said it would also be very hard to track with all our members, like you suggested before we could sit back an reward people who we notice, but then we will have people message us saying "my posts are nice, why haven't I got my award" we would have LOTS of inbox messages about it.

A little incentive goes a long way. Look at how people have latched onto achivements and now play games they would never otherwise play! I think the same thing would happen with this achievement. Posters right now have no reason other than personal pride to write well in their posts, even the worst offenders can usually make themselves understood after a fashion. With the anonymity of the internet most posters do not feel any such pride or the need for it.

I had not considered the amount of messages you would recieve from people that deserved the award, I can see how that would be a large annoyance. You likely already recieve such messages about others things and have a much better idea than I, of how many this award would likely generate. I can only hope that your predictions are wrong, and suggest that the improvement to the forums would be worth it. However, since if your predictions are correct you cannot then take the award away without even more complaining and undue effort, I can understand why you would be hesitant even outright abhorrent to implementing it.

We have more tournaments then just fps, with the amount of active members we have it would be a lot of work for us, the gsl only lasts for 8 weeks and has around 100 members and it takes a lot of time.

If you have a real popular game, say gears of war or something, you could have 1000's of entrants, how do you decide which game to race in? what if some people don't want a certain game? do you hold a race in more then 1 game at once.

Exactly, they take alot of time. The advantage of this is that it does not have to. Putting absolute fairness aside for a second, there is at least one way to set this up to be extremely time efficiant for the staff.

You could announce a race for a game that has not been released yet. Based on the achievement list you would already have, you could decide to make it a race for a single, multiple, or all achievements. Then once the game is released, have people post a picture of their achievements with the timestamps. Give people anywhere from 1 to 12 hours after the first person to post their score, to post their own, incase anyone got the achivement sooner but was unable to get a screenshot until later. and voila! you have a contest with very little effort on the admins part, just choose a game, a goal, and then look at a few screenshots at the end.

since people would get the game at different times, some may potentially get it days earlier, you could set a specific start time, such as 24 hours after release, and require that people take screenshot at that time of their gamerscore to show the game has not been even looked at yet on that gamertag, to be posted along side their final score to show they did not start early.

Now this method has many problems with it, and opens itself up to photoshopping, but I am simply trying to show that there are ways this can be a quick and easy type of contest for staff to run. And if you see ANY merit to it, I can build on this to make it more sound.

There is also always to option to appoint someone to specifially run these contest, allowing the possibilty to run more than one at once, and allowing them to be a bit more hands on if required.

While I think of it, I know there is currently some kind of application for the GSL that tracks gamerscores for the contest, could it not be modified to have all the entrants of a speed contest gamertags put in and could constantly check to see if any have gotten the correct award and then alert the admins that a winner has been found? This would get around the problem of photoshopping the final outcome. If it could be modified further to check if a certain game had a null value up until the starting point it could weed out false/early starts as well.

As for people not liking a certain game, I imagine you already run into that problem with the normal tournaments. How do you deal with it there? You are never going to please, or appeal to everyone no matter what game you offer.

In my example I used upcoming games, this opens up the possibilty of getting some official support from whatever company made/published the game, as their advertising campaign would likely be in full swing to promote the game at that point. They could be quite willing to offer up some swag like stickers, promotional codes for avatar, or other stuff if it means having you choose their upcoming game for the next contest. As it would very likely boost initial sales, due to the popularity of this site. It might require a little bit of additional work at the start to contact them, but after a while if it is successful they would start to contact you...

You have to remember that all the moderators, admins and other staff all have lives off the side and we all give up our spare time to help run it.

I appreciate that, I really do. But I came up with several awards that could be automated, and they were shot down as being grindable, so what do you want in a new award? Until someone tells me that 'No more awards will be accepted now or in the future' I am going to keep trying to get some approved. If you are getting fed up with telling me no, you could always point me in the right direction for the kinds of awards you do want. I will then turn my efforts to creating some of those. But since I have come up with something like 26 award ideas between this thread and my first one, and not one of them got a positive response from the staff, I am currently out of ideas as to what direction to go with new ones.

Tenacious
03-25-2009, 03:33 AM
While we're on the topic, how about an award for Subscribers, kinda like the existing Subscriber awards already in place, but for how many tournaments you actually participate in? We could have a bronze, silver, and gold level. The picture could be the little trophy that pops up when you unlock an achievement.. the bronze could be for 3, the silver for 5, and the gold for 8+.. Just throwing it out there while we're on the topic :)

And why can't we have an age award if we have a gamer girl award? Essentially that itself is impossible to track. IMO, it makes sense.

pensivedragon
03-25-2009, 04:10 AM
While we're on the topic, how about an award for Subscribers, kinda like the existing Subscriber awards already in place, but for how many tournaments you actually participate in? We could have a bronze, silver, and gold level. The picture could be the little trophy that pops up when you unlock an achievement.. the bronze could be for 3, the silver for 5, and the gold for 8+.. Just throwing it out there while we're on the topic :)

And why can't we have an age award if we have a gamer girl award? Essentially that itself is impossible to track. IMO, it makes sense.
I thought so as well, but since I do not have a good reason for there to even be a gamer girl award, the age one is hard to defend aside from the 'if they have one I want one too' argument.
Aside from that, I think there is even a thread about getting the gamer girl award modified or having a new one for others to get to complement it.

Contrah
03-25-2009, 07:11 AM
I wanna donate, I just don't want that award box in my postbit.

KFZ Scrubs
03-25-2009, 07:58 AM
;1746294']I wanna donate, I just don't want that award box in my postbit.
YEa i think that can be arranged.
I see lots of people with awards they should have but they didn't want it on their awards box.
I'm actually going to get one of my awards removed..... hopefully.

Hayden
03-25-2009, 10:30 AM

Because there are only 132 people who have the gamer girl award where as if you had an age one, we would have to hand out 36k+ awards manually :eek:

Tenacious
03-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Because there are only 132 people who have the gamer girl award where as if you had an age one, we would have to hand out 36k+ awards manually :eek:
It could be request, just like the gamer girl award is. And I know I'd be willing to help hand them out ;)

KFZ Scrubs
03-25-2009, 12:01 PM
It could be request, just like the gamer girl award is. And I know I'd be willing to help hand them out ;)
Yea, well that would still be kind of hard considering all the members of the site. I would assume that all the members would want to have an age award and probably only the mods and admins would be able to give it to us. And remember, they have lives too.

Minty
03-25-2009, 01:25 PM
And for anyone who offers to give out awards- its something only Admins can do.

And the odds of us making people mods just to do it were slim, admin is non existant :p. The same odds as us adding 36k age awards ;)

Tenacious
03-26-2009, 12:51 AM
And for anyone who offers to give out awards- its something only Admins can do.

And the odds of us making people mods just to do it were slim, admin is non existant :p. The same odds as us adding 36k age awards ;)
Something only admins can do huh? So you're saying, to be able to hand them out, I'd have to be an admin? hmm... *cough* :P

But anyway, only a suggestion :)

Jappe XBA
03-26-2009, 06:05 AM
Something only admins can do huh? So you're saying, to be able to hand them out, I'd have to be an admin? hmm... *cough* :P

But anyway, only a suggestion :)

Yeah, but you won't never be an admin :p (no offense)