PDA

View Full Version : A debate/"serious" board.

Phate
03-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Would it be possible to get a board specifically for debates and serious topics in the off-topic section? General Off-Topic would be for just random threads, and the new board would be for members to debate with others, or to post threads that merit some thought.

I know that the GOT board handles both types of threads fine by itself, but it would be nice to go to a different board for discussions about world events, philosophy, politics, spirituality and all other thought-provoking discussions.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Wreckon Dracgon
03-10-2009, 05:05 PM
You want to discuss Politics and Religion on the www dot interwebs.
No good can come of this... no good at all.

Those two topics should never be discussed on boards such as these. It is a flame war/anger fest just waiting to happen.

jackanape
03-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Have to agree with Wreckon (well I don't HAVE to, but I do) as those kind of topics just lead to flame fests and the like. They would need to be extremely well moderated and it would just be a drain for a site that is primarily focused on gaming.

I think people have set up debating social groups in the past and they haven't done so well. But I would say that was your first port of call anyway as I can't see this ever happening due to the trouble it would cause.

Phate
03-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Religion and politics are only two of many subjects. But I see what you mean. If a moderator or two were appointed to the board, that would help keep flame wars down.

NFaMuS one
03-10-2009, 05:37 PM
This was actually suggested already. Check here. (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131868)