PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the Gamer Girl Award

SetsunaFSeiei
03-11-2009, 04:33 AM
After reading the thread on perspectives on Girl Gamers , i think we should have the Girl Gamer Award changed somewhat

Cause of the argument one member brought up against the perspective view

Yes Girl Gamers are rare , but if they wanted to be treated the same , why should they get there own award .. for being a girl , I think that might add to the whole girl gamer perspective problem of equally . Most of us dont have an award us we havent be able to do something like post 1000 posts or anything to contribute like achievement guides or roadmaps . But for them to get one ... for being a girl ... UNFAIR

Change the award in some way or give something the guys can have , or instead of the award , have what one posted ... a gender sign above our awards possibly

Iunno , After seeing that post about how they need to be treated equally .. that award kinda goes against that desire for it

gooniesala
03-11-2009, 04:55 AM
like i said in the other herd.. just a gender sign will do, then there is no award and the guys dont feel like girls are gettin special treatment...

Crimson Ridley
03-11-2009, 05:31 AM
I don't know if this is about what I said, but just so you know, when I said the girls get special treatment for having the award, I was joking, I was just pretending to be like she was.

But then again, it doesn't make sense why a member should get an award based on their gender. That actually isn't fair, but, oh well. :)

Ingles
03-11-2009, 05:45 AM
Personally I'm all for things not being totally "equal".

For example, I'm glad that women are the ones giving birth to children instead of men. That fact alone is enough to make me thankful that we are different in our own ways. :) I say let them have an award and let everyone else get over themselves for not having a male award. If you want an award that bad, donate a $1 and you'll get your award. ;)

Tussell
03-11-2009, 06:28 AM
I like the idea of gender signs. I've seen it on various forums, it's cool.

I always thought the Gamer Girl award was a bit lame, but I'm pretty sure the idea has been shot down several times in terms of banishing it. Don't quote me on that though.

HellsDemon
03-11-2009, 06:39 AM
That award would be good for another website I know, but it is kind of pointless here.

narcolepticshee
03-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Considering all the awards are there to award people helping the site, I don't quite understand how this one does?

But, upon saying that, I don't care if it goes or stays, not fussed either way!

Peace

Eternal
03-11-2009, 09:23 AM
What are you hinting at there Fugitive? :p

M85A21
03-11-2009, 09:26 AM
I want a gender sign. So people know I am a man...And not a chick... =[

It happens.

KFZ Scrubs
03-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Got to admit, i thougt deadcolt was a girl when i first saw him here.
But yeah, i don't care about the gamergirl award now......
i can go either way now.

M85A21
03-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Got to admit, i thougt deadcolt was a girl when i first saw him here.
But yeah, i don't care about the gamergirl award now......
i can go either way now.

.....See what I mean? I don't need this. Lol

M85A21
03-11-2009, 10:23 AM
i can go either way now.

Hmm...Several ways FTW.

KFZ Scrubs
03-11-2009, 10:25 AM
.....See what I mean? I don't need this. Lol Well i can't help that your avatar looks like a girl with a fuzzy lip :).
Ok I admit it, that could be read several ways and I have just thought about a few of them ;)
Lols, must read before typing!
Yea but seriously, i really don't care about the gamer chick award anymore.
I just think that it's not really an acomplishment, just shows your a girl.

Dragon's Heart
03-11-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't really see what the big deal is about any of the awards in the 1st place...It's not like you are really getting anything out of them...The only reason I was trying to get the Gamerchicks award is b/c everybody always automatically assumes that I am a guy on here instead of a chick...I get friend requests from people all the time who think I am a guy and then I actually start talkin to them they're all like, "Holy shit! You're a girl!!"...And then they get all pissed if I beat them at anything...

KFZ Scrubs
03-11-2009, 10:47 AM
I don't really see what the big deal is about any of the awards in the 1st place
I guess because it looks good in the award showcase :).

[Waggly Bean]
03-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Personally I think the gender sign would be more work than it's worth.

There's no actual point to it, and it also depends on how it would be implemented.

If an admin had to go through and assign it manually, obviously that would be a mammoth task, as there's how many thousand users registered here?

If not, then they would have to include a way of the user themselves assigning a gender role to their profile (like how you assign your gamercard). I see a lot of guys giving themselves the female sign personally, because they're so hilarious and out there! Which would just be annoying for everyone tbh.

So yeah, I don't see how this would work in any decent way, and actually be beneficial to the site. Especially if it's just to please a few people who are pissed they don't get a 'guy gamer award', because I'm sure they are a very small minority. :)

KFZ Scrubs
03-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Would they really get that mad about not getting a gamer guy award?
Well if you want people to treat you equally then i guess don't let them know your a girl. Then they'll treat you like any other member of the site if thats what you want.
I don't know, just throwing it out there.

[Waggly Bean]
03-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Would they really get that mad about not getting a gamer guy award?
Well if you want people to treat you equally then i guess don't let them know your a girl. Then they'll treat you like any other member of the site if thats what you want.
I don't know, just throwing it out there.

Sadly, I think some guys genuinely do feel 'robbed' by the fact that girls get an award for free and they don't. But I don't see the problem with it. It's nice to have awards there, but if you want one bad enough there's plenty of others to be grabbed! ;)
I don't think the Gamer Chick Award does any harm, and I also don't think the gender sign is necessary. I say leave it as it is...

SetsunaFSeiei
03-11-2009, 01:12 PM
;1698294']Sadly, I think some guys genuinely do feel 'robbed' by the fact that girls get an award for free and they don't. But I don't see the problem with it. It's nice to have awards there, but if you want one bad enough there's plenty of others to be grabbed! ;)
I don't think the Gamer Chick Award does any harm, and I also don't think the gender sign is necessary. I say leave it as it is...

Im sorry , i was just pointing things they were talking about in the Girl Perspective Thread

But it was just an idea

KFZ Scrubs
03-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Im sorry , i was just pointing things they were talking about in the Girl Perspective Thread

But it was just an idea
Its cool, i made a thread when i first came here about a year ago kind of like the same thing as she did. Well i think its going to end in the same way too.....

agentplatypus
03-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Gender sign would be better.

dakisbac
03-11-2009, 01:37 PM
;1698224']Personally I think the gender sign would be more work than it's worth.

There's no actual point to it, and it also depends on how it would be implemented.

If an admin had to go through and assign it manually, obviously that would be a mammoth task, as there's how many thousand users registered here?

If not, then they would have to include a way of the user themselves assigning a gender role to their profile (like how you assign your gamercard). I see a lot of guys giving themselves the female sign personally, because they're so hilarious and out there! Which would just be annoying for everyone tbh.

So yeah, I don't see how this would work in any decent way, and actually be beneficial to the site. Especially if it's just to please a few people who are pissed they don't get a 'guy gamer award', because I'm sure they are a very small minority. :)

Like you said, it would be transferred from the profile like the gamertag does. If you don't identify one then there'll be no sign (like the GT) and if you put the opposite one, so be it. No one will care.

You're probably right about only a small minority being "pissed" about this award, but there are probably a lot that don't think it's fair (which it isn't) and don't say anything about it because it's not that big a deal. That said, I fit the latter category; I've thought these thoughts before, but it's not a big enough issue for me to even comment on without prompting (like this thread)

Three issues I have with the award:

One, females have been one of the biggest groups preaching equality, but this award in their favor is not equality and they're fine with it, which is hypocritical.

Two, plenty of girls on this site will make posts/threads about how annoyed they are with how many messages/FRs/PMs/etc they get because they're girls, but then I see their gamerchick award and laugh. They claim they don't want the attention, but they have an award for being female which they had to ask for. Also hypocritcal.

Three, because it's not an award. Like those achievements for pressing start, they defeat the purpose of the word. Achievement meaning you achieved something (pressing start doesn't qualify) and awards being given out for achievements. It's not an achievement being female, especially since you have no hand in it. Can I have an award for being 18 years old?

NFaMuS one
03-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm glad that women are the ones giving birth to children instead of men.

AMEN! :drunk

No disrespect to women of course, but I've seen birthing videos, and am personally about to witness it around July 3rd of this year, and it just looks super painful.

God bless women though. Love 'em. Well, namely my woman of course.

On topic though, changing that award would be fair, somewhat, but at the same time something will probably come up about it later. I see it as a lose lose situation in the long run. Time will tell I guess.

Da CRU Mughhh
03-11-2009, 02:26 PM
I think the gender sign sounds like a wonderful idea:) Cause some times you just don't know who is what lmao :p

Jappe XBA
03-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Girls/women should have their award so we recognize them being a female. Also you could add the gender sign and remove gamerchick award, but please don't remove gamerchick award if you're not adding gender sign because I really want to know who in this site are girls and who boys :D And it's easily seen in the Awards showcase, unless they haven't got one yet. :)

[Waggly Bean]
03-11-2009, 03:35 PM
but please don't remove gamerchick award if you're not adding gender sign because I really want to know who in this site are girls and who boys :D

Aaaaand out comes Mr Creepy! :p

Tomscfc
03-11-2009, 04:03 PM
In all honesty I don't think anyone is really to bothered about the gamerchick award being an award, personally I just use the award as a gender identifier like the majority of other members here.

There are plenty of ways that male members can earn an award that are relatively simple and that additionally aid the community.

What alot of the male members here won't admit to, is looking at the profile of any one who has got the gamerchick award ;)
See guys there is an advantage to us as well :P

I agree 99%, but not about looking at there profile..thats just creepy..:p

Tele-Rock
03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
I have no problem doing something special for the ladies . . .

Ever.

I'm all for the award.

Crimson Ridley
03-11-2009, 04:20 PM
I don't understand all the people who view a profile just because it's a girls... Not like their profile is any different to ours apart from maybe messages that say "Hi sexy" all over them.

Dammit, someone view my profile and put "Hi sexy" all over it, I wanna know what it feels like! Ahh I'll do it myself! :p

Razzattack99
03-11-2009, 04:25 PM
interesting point actually, and i agree that they shouldn't get their own award because that is singling out (which we all want to try and avoid doing to people)

i like the idea of a gender sign too

Jappe XBA
03-11-2009, 05:02 PM
;1698823']Aaaaand out comes Mr Creepy! :p

Whaaaaaaat? :drunk

InkedUp
03-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Yeah I agree that for some of the women that post about being treated equally the whole GamerChick award is hypocritical, but I really don't care that they have that award. It does help to see who the women on here are, and if you really are that mad about a reward, do something about it besides complaining(they don't give an award out for that, no matter how much of it you do). Let it go, its not that big a deal

"X"
03-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Only prob. i see with it, is if the roles were switched, i wouldn't want a half naked guy holding a gun in my awards showcase lol. The awards should stay if majority of the ladies don't mind.

dakisbac
03-12-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm not mad, I just gave three reasons why I think the award is stupid. Reason #3 doesn't even have anything to do with the fact that it's for females. I even mentioned another stupid award (in question form) which would be moreorless the same thing

Now, let's reverse the roles. Like I said, I think the award is stupid and unfair, but even all the amount of bitching I could do (and I don't even think I'm complaining) and other people could do, nothing would change. However, if we had the award, I guarantee we'd see a lot of bitching and none of that "I'm okay with doing something special for the guys" and I guarantee that it would either be removed or one for them added really damn fast.

What I don't understand now is people who support the gender sign but want to keep the award. The only purpose the award serves right now is an indication of sex, not some great accomplishment by the person in question. The sign does the exact same thing, so why do you need both? Most of the time I can identify sex based on just the forum name/gamertag (especially now with avatars)

SetsunaFSeiei
03-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Most of the time I can identify sex based on just the forum name/gamertag (especially now with avatars)

Not even , There are alot of Males who post things that make them look as if there Female .. There Avatars , with pics of girls and whatnot , Even a pic of a girl on there gamerpic can throw you off

dakisbac
03-13-2009, 02:32 AM
Hence I said most of the time. I'd like to say I'm optimistic when concerning the number of males that pretend to be girls.

weesplash
03-13-2009, 06:27 PM
I can respect both sides of the argument on this one. On one hand if you're a girl member of this site that's all for equality and yet you went out of your way to request the "Gamer Chick" award then that is hypocritical in a sense. But on the other hand it's not like when they request the award they're thinking to themselves, "Oh I'm a girl, I'm better than all these guys and that's why I deserve this award, GIRL POWER!!!". They request it because everyone loves getting awards on this site and it was a relatively easy one for them to add to their showcase.

I personally don't think that addiction of a gender sign is necessary. I agree with Waggly Bean, the time of the admins could be better spent elsewhere. It's easier just to look down at the showcase and seeing that it's a girl because of the "Gamer Chick" award, and not because I want to creep on them, because it's nice to see that more and more girls are getting into computer games and breaking the stereotype set by people of the average 14-25 male gamer geek. I think that deserves an award in itself, lol.

Really though, either way I'm not bothered that much. Bottom line is, there's already a subliminal gender sign in place: If you have the "Gamer Chick" award you're a girl, if you don't you're a guy. :)

Evil Demon55
03-15-2009, 04:52 AM
I like the award as is. It doesn't give the girls any more privledges than us. They get an award, but do they get any thing for that award? No they do not. Everything is still equal.

eskEMO
03-15-2009, 05:16 AM
Either way is fine for me. I'm working towards my 1,000 post award. ;) The hypocritical-side of the argument is very common in feminism in general, but I support equality 100%.

Someone mentioned earlier that you can donate $1 for an award, but I believe the minimum donation is $5, contrary to what the award says. :P

l BANi l Shadow
03-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Gender sign idea is pretty good

Skillet
03-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Could there really be a bigger bitch fest over something so pointless?

So girls get an award for being girls... great. I'm sure they would rather not go into every thread announcing their gender before giving their opinion.

Get over it.

Minty
03-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Could there really be a bigger bitch fest over something so pointless?

So girls get an award for being girls... great. I'm sure they would rather not go into every thread announcing their gender before giving their opinion.

Get over it.

Exactly lol.

Please email more views to pointlessdiscussion@x360a.org