PDA

View Full Version : Game Searching - Does correct spelling really matter?

l BANi l Shadow
03-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Started this thread to see if anyone else finds this annoying.
It's a bit stupid but still, if you don't know how to spell the game, it should suggest games that are spelt similiarly to what you entered.

Crimson Ridley
03-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Well if you can spell at least one word of it then it shouldn't matter.

But yeah, it should put similar matches to what you search. Though I just do a quick Page Down to the games section on the forum and find it in it's relevant section. I hardly ever use the search on the home page.

KFZ Scrubs
03-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Spelling is important.... because if you write sloppy and use a lot of slang people won't be able to understand what your saying and get confused.

Ingles
03-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Spelling is important in anything but it would be handy for it to bring up names of games that somewhat match your spelling to make things a little easier to find perhaps.

Tomscfc
03-12-2009, 06:09 PM
So basically an autochecker, so when you type in, the options drop down and you can select which one you want? If thats what your hinting at, them im for it!

Jappe XBA
03-12-2009, 07:09 PM
So basically an autochecker, so when you type in, the options drop down and you can select which one you want? If thats what your hinting at, them im for it!

I've seen that on soooo many sites, that it could work here also :)

weesplash
03-12-2009, 07:25 PM
This would be a nice addition to the search feature, especially for game names that are hard to spell. I wonder how difficult, or if it's even possible to implement this into vBulletin.

Fizzmatix
03-13-2009, 03:15 AM
I think an imporved search would be nice. When you look for some games e.g F.E.A.R 2 you need to get the spelling spot on like so F.E.A.R.2: Project... but then it doesn't always pull up the game i normally end up searching project to get that one as no matter how you spell the title it doesn't seem to come up.

It would be nice if you could say type fear or f.e.a and it show you something close to the name. That wouldn't be to hard to do as you can get board search add ons that will allow you to search for parts of a name. You would still need to spell it someone correct for it to come up though.

Jappe XBA
03-13-2009, 06:11 AM
According to :whs, you need to put that dang R in the circle to find the newer NHL games like 08 and 09, it's annoying... So if you would put only NHL, it would show up all the games starting with NHL, or including NHL like 3 on 3 NHL Arcade.

Asian47
03-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Spelling is important.... because if you write sloppy and use a lot of slang people won't be able to understand what your saying and get confused.
That's not always the case. Sometimes, the search engine won't pull anything up even if the name is still technically correct. Take Street Fighter IV for example. You could of course put in Street, or Fighter and it would probably show up with a few other games. If you want to narrow down the search, you have to put in Street Fighter IV exactly. Your not allowed to put in 4, or else it won't show up.

It is annoying the search engine has to be exact, or else what you want won't show up, but it's a very small annoyance. Seeing as how there isn't thousands of 360 games, as long as put in part of a game's title, you'll be able to find it no problem.

MartianMan
03-17-2009, 06:47 AM
It's not like my experiences with the engine have been completely satisfactory, but you guys have to understand the difficulties of making engines. Especially considering we aren't dealing with a huge site here. The search bar is fine for what it is, imo.

Evil Demon55
03-22-2009, 07:24 AM
autochecker could be nice, or a game search option that works like the search a member thing... or type in a game and it lists matches?