PDA

View Full Version : Any tips?

Legohead 1977
03-13-2009, 09:34 AM
I realise that most people seem to be guitar gods compared to me but here's my problem...I've managed every song but two on the HARD career. (Thought I'd highlight HARD because everyone here seems to be on expert!).

The two songs are Flirtin' with Disaster and Green Grass & High Tides...and it's the solos I can't defeat. (I can happily make my way all the way to the solos in FwD).

My main problem is the hammer-on type bits, quick GRYGRYGRY and the like...are there any tips you can offer because practice, as my old PE teacher used to say, just makes permanent...and I'm sure I'm doing it wrong!

Please help me....:(

NathAttack
03-13-2009, 08:11 PM
SmacD is right here. If you use the Strat, start practicing with the solo buttons NOW and get used to using them, because they'll make Green Grass and High Tides on Expert (when you do get to that) much, MUCH less of a headache.

However, unfortunately all I can tell you is to keep at it, save Overdrive throughout the whole song and only use it on your "fail points" in the song.
I would also recommend only focusing on one song at a time until you've nailed it, before moving on to the other.

discgolferpro
03-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Another thing that might help...

Some flurry of notes like the triplets you're describing are parts of phrases that are evaluated in "blocks". Numbering the notes from your example above:

GRY GRY GRY
123 456 789

Sometimes, if you miss the 3rd Yellow note (for example), the engine will also fail you on notes 456 (even if you hit them perfectly) before it picks up your successful strums on notes 789. This might throw you off and make you adjust your tempo when you really shouldn't be changing anything at all.

I hope that made sense. In a nutshell, if you're on-beat and you miss a note, just concentrate on the beat. Sometimes the game needs a couple of notes to "re-sync" to your strumming. This can happen when you change from alt-strumming to go into gallops or down-strums and then back again, or when doing hammer-ons and pull-offs and you miss the leading notes.

Legohead 1977
03-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks folks, I was afraid you'd tell me to get used to the solo buttons, but if that is the best way I will train on them now! :)

thejackyltm
07-14-2009, 11:36 PM
I was stuck on this too for forever. Well the Flirtin with Disaster. What I did to beat it was to just start a whole new career on Expert. I did that and got used to the speed of Expert and then went back down to Hard and completed that song first time through. Hope this helps! and me like you, can barely do hard.