PDA

View Full Version : Idea For Checklists...

DumMetlHed
03-13-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm not a huge DLC person since most of it pertains to extra multiplayer options which I usually avoid except in a few games. This means that on games that I play where I focus on the single player and ignore multiplayer/DLC my completion % can look like crap because it is including DLC that I haven't even touched.

This got me thinking that it would be nice if there was an option to ignore DLC when enabling a checklist. This way the extra achievements and points don't show up on your list and don't count against you for completion %. Ideally you would be able to ignore individual packs of DLC in the case of games that have multiple downloads that include extra achiements incase you have one pack but not the other, but even if there was an all or nothing option for DLC per game that would be nice.

Jappe XBA
03-13-2009, 06:43 PM
If you ignore the DLC achievements, it's not your real completion% anymore... That's like cheating yourself :(

DumMetlHed
03-13-2009, 09:13 PM
I see what you are saying but at the same time disagree. While it isn't the true completion score if you include all the DLC it is the true score of the original retail release and for people like me who ignore some multiplayer aspects of games or just don't want to be "punished" for not wanting to shell out extra money for add-ons in order to try and get them all it helps to cleans things up.

Its not like I'm asking to be able to ignore all multiplayer or all single player achievements because you don't want to play them, if they come with the retail release and you don't complete them well too bad your score suffers. It is the being penalized for an afterthought that you may have no interest in and is not necessary to play the game therefore won't appeal to everyone that owns the game that bothers me.

For example when I finally pop in my copy of Halo 3 to play I will get what I get in the 1000 points the retail game is worth but I know I won't touch any of the DLC so even if I get 1000/1000 eventually it would still show up as incomplete on my list even though the retail version of the game is complete. If in the furture I change my mind and spring for the DLC then I can enable it and show the full 1750 version of Halo 3.

Either way I think it would be a nice feature to have. Not sure how many people feel the same way I do on these boards about DLC but I know among most of my friends we feel the same way when looking at our completed achievements.

weesplash
03-14-2009, 03:39 AM
I agree with you on this one man. The completion % should only be for the games original achievements, after all DLC are packs which are added on to the game. They aren't part of the original game itself.

An option to disable DLC would be a nice addition for people who care about their completion percentage but don't want to be sucked in to buying multiple DLC packs. Unfortunately I'm not as strong as you are in that sense; I'm so hooked on getting 100% in every game I own that even if this feature was added I would still buy the DLC regardless if it was rubbish or not because I just can't set a game down unless I have all the achievements. For example, I'm not really a fan of Gears of War 2's multiplayer but I still bought the combustible map pack DLC, even though I think it was over priced and I know that I'm going to buy the next 2 sets of DLC that come out for it.

What can I say, I'm a user, achievements are my cocaine, Microsoft is my drug dealer. I'm hooked!!! lol.

The Pants Party
03-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Xbox.com, MGC and most likely every other achievement tracking site take into account the DLC. Why wouldn't we be the same? Those achievements are part of the game, like it or not. :p

DumMetlHed
03-16-2009, 07:56 PM
well xbox.com probably shows them because its free advertising that 'hey, there is more stuff for you to spend money on' which I understand they are in the business of making money. As far as MGC, this site, and most other sites listing of DLC with the game it is probably for no better reason than that it shows up on xbox.com that way.

I wasn't even asking that DLC is ignored just that there is the option on a game by game basis to ignore it in the checklist if the user wants so that it doesn't count towards their personal competion %. It could default to being included, any list site wide completion list or whatever could still go off of the DLC included gamerscore. This change would mainly just be for the individual checklists that everyone has.

So of the other sites denote which achievements come from DLC and which don't this is just taking that same prinicpal and extending it a little further.

Besides if all the sites are the same then how much fun is that.

The Pants Party
03-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Well, aside from the DLC literally becoming part of the game's achievement list (which is our main reason for including it in the checklists - we try to keep things here as close to the "official" view according to Xbox as we can), the second issue if we would decide to let people filter it out is the strain it would throw on our servers. Thousands of people going game by game and choosing whether or not to filter something is a lot of requests being sent to our server, and those requests would be repeated every single time the person loaded their checklist page... not something we can afford at this moment.

But, that last thing you mentioned (denoting which achievements are normal and which are DLC) is indeed something we have in the works.

DumMetlHed
03-16-2009, 09:28 PM
My suggestion would have had no effect on a site wide basis strictly on a personal checklist one, but I can understand that it may not be something everyone would want or care for.

I also understand the potential for a huge hit to the servers. I just figured since there are other filters tracked on a list by list basis that on for wouldn't be that big of a server drain or coding issue. Although not knowing how your SQL tables are setup means I could be way off on that assumption.

Thanks for taking the time to respond anyway though, and I still think my idea has merit if you have the servers to handle the increased load in the future. Although maybe I'm a little biased since it was my idea ;-)

A Neo Irony
03-17-2009, 06:56 AM
Well, aside from the DLC literally becoming part of the game's achievement list (which is our main reason for including it in the checklists - we try to keep things here as close to the "official" view according to Xbox as we can), the second issue if we would decide to let people filter it out is the strain it would throw on our servers. Thousands of people going game by game and choosing whether or not to filter something is a lot of requests being sent to our server, and those requests would be repeated every single time the person loaded their checklist page... not something we can afford at this moment.

But, that last thing you mentioned (denoting which achievements are normal and which are DLC) is indeed something we have in the works.
Perhaps handle DLC differently then? Instead of treating DLC as part of the original game, treat it as a separate game (as far as the site goes). Each part of the game (original and each DLC pack) has it's own listing on the site that can be individually enabled in the checklist.

For example, Halo 3 currently has 3 DLC packs: Legendary, Mythic 1, and Mythic 2(the maps to be included with ODST). Instead of lumping these all thogether, treat them as four seperate games: Halo 3, Halo 3: Legendary DLC, Halo 3: Mythic 1 DLC, and Halo 3: Mythic 2 DLC.

This way there is no need for additional filters. If a user wants to add DLC to their checklist, they simply add it as they would another retail/arcade game.

Katarn
03-17-2009, 07:10 AM
I disagree the achievements should show. So people know if they don't how all the achievements.

The Pants Party
03-17-2009, 12:17 PM
[insert your suggestion :p]

The first issue here is for things like Gears of War 2. Some of the achievements require both the Flashback AND Combustible maps. So where do those achievements go? On both lists? On a FOURTH list (or 5th really since Snowblind will be out soon)? Or like Beautiful Katamari that has 7 different pieces of DLC required to get the entire 250 extra.

But mainly, and this goes back to my original point, the way we have it now is the "official" achievement list. The achievements WERE added to the game, like it or not. They are a part of that game, for better or worse. We're going to reflect that.