PDA

View Full Version : The few things that burst my anal fissures....

Du Werk
03-14-2009, 01:31 AM
The game is good. when i say good i mean not great but good. They desperately need to come out with a patch for this game asap or this game will get traded in asap. But from my dealings with 2K sports and their customer service i doubt this will happen any time soon.

1. Whats with the outfielders physics?? Either they lightly jog to the ball, overrun the ball, or just blunder a catch all together while perfectly lined up.

2. Errors in general. Im sure lots of you experience having you short stop or 3rd basemen take a routine ground ball, throw it in the green and still somehow come up with an error. This can ruin games!!

3. 5 Gamerpoints for winning a HR DERBY?!?! I know you can adjust sliders to make it easy but even if you do it legit this should be 20-30pts EASY.

More things about this game bother me but i feel like ending the rant here. Call me a flamer or a noob whiner. Im actually neither 2K sports always seem to F**K up something when it comes to their baseball games.

StcGk2008
03-14-2009, 03:30 AM
The errors in general are ridiculous. If you throw the ball too far, your first baseman will just wander off the bag and the game won't let you get control back in time. And how come a throw in the red from the outfield is a frozen rope 90% of the time but in the infield it's a wild throw? The field needs a major upgrade for 2k10

ReverendPhill
03-14-2009, 06:00 AM
I don't seem to have very many fielding issues in the infield. My biggest trouble is the outfield. Getting fielders to run at an angle to the ball, seeing them lined up and the ball going over their head, and having the ball roll past two cut off men allowing the hitter to get an inside the parker or triple.

Thare187
03-14-2009, 06:28 AM
Every time my 3rd baseman throws to first the 1st baseman straddles the bag and won't touch it for the out. Driving me crazy

bigtoejam
03-14-2009, 03:02 PM
in the 30+ games I have played, I have never had a problem fielding balls in the outfield. the 1st baseman coming off the bag is a big problem. but since I have started holding the LT down while throwing(using the buttons to throw) I haven't seen it as much. maybe once or twice every few games. they are releasing another patch that is supposed to be out by opening day.

DakidJose
03-14-2009, 06:11 PM
In my franchise, Jeter has 12 errors on routine ground balls through 7 games played. Jeter's fielding rating is in no way possible a "69"!! Are you kidding me?

ReverendPhill
03-14-2009, 06:22 PM
In my franchise, Jeter has 12 errors on routine ground balls through 7 games played. Jeter's fielding rating is in no way possible a "69"!! Are you kidding me?

I believe it. He has been one of the worst fielding shortstops for a long time now.

ElderOmnivore
03-14-2009, 07:59 PM

Yeah, he actually sucks at fielding. Although, twelve in seven games is a bit much.

bigtoejam
03-15-2009, 12:21 AM

there is a error slider. move it up or down to your liking

Jordan7182002
03-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Yup worst 2K game in years. Worst MLB game ever. Errors are a killer...the OF sux in this game for sure. I hate this crap. 60 bucks wasted.

EOU Findub
03-15-2009, 06:09 AM
Yup worst 2K game in years. Worst MLB game ever. Errors are a killer...the OF sux in this game for sure. I hate this crap. 60 bucks wasted.

Couldn't disagree more. CH 2K7 was worse. NHL 2K7, 2K8, and 2K9 were worse. Was this the worst MLB game they have put out? Maybe...it's a toss up between 2K6 and 2K9.

Du Werk
03-15-2009, 08:03 AM
I believe it. He has been one of the worst fielding shortstops for a long time now.

i hope thats a joke.

ElderOmnivore
03-15-2009, 04:21 PM
i hope thats a joke.

I don't know if he's joking, but I wasn't when I agreed. He is one of the worst fielding shortstops. Don't try saying, "He has gold gloves." Those mean nothing. Heck, even ESPN started realizing that last year when Nate McLouth won one. They even said that he doesn't deserve one because he was one of the worst defensive outfielders last year; not one of the best.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=0&season=2008&month=0

First, look at that. You'll notice he was sixth in fielding percentage last year. Now, that isn't too bad at all. However, there's a huge problem with fielding percentage. That's only based on the amount of balls that the guy actually gets to. A guy with more range is going to get to more balls and therefore have more opportunities to make errors.

If you really want to see how good a shortstop is, find out how many assists he had. Find out his range factor. Find out his UZR/150. Find out his Dewan +- fielding rating. Now, I'm sure that most of that is well over your head, but that's because sabermetrics are well over most peoples heads. Using sabermetrics, you can see what people have noticed for a long time. That Derek Jeter sucks at fielding. The Yankees brass knows it too. They should have moved him from shortstop long ago. They know they can't though. Which makes the glorious day of when they do move them that much more entertaining for me. For true Yankees fans, they'll be sad, but they'll know it has to be done. For the casual Yankees fans, they'll flip out and think it's the end of the world. It'll be good times.

Now, the stats so you don't have to look them up.

Assists- 347 (16th of 19 qualifying shortstops)
RF/9- 4.1 (t16th of 19)
UZR/150- -.6 (t11th of 19)
+- Rating- -12 (t6th to last among all Major League shortstops. Even the backups...So, that's more than thirty)

Oh, and FYI, he has been the worst fielding shortstop overall since '06.

http://www.fieldingbible.com/

You may have to click around a bit to see it, but look at the '06-'08 Plus/Minus Leaders and you'll see that he was last by quite a bit. FYI, ten runs is worth a win. So, his fielding since '06 has been worth -6.8 wins...Yeah, that sounds like a great fielding shortstop to me.

P.S. I'm assuming that you'll probably disregard most of this since people who are new to sabermetrics are scared by them. However, the age of sabermetrics is coming people. Even 2K has recognized this. Even ESPN has recognized it and started using some of them. Get on the bus while you can people.

DakidJose
03-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah, he actually sucks at fielding. Although, twelve in seven games is a bit much.

I know he's not the shortstop he used to be, but 12 errors is way too much. He only had 12 errors all of last season.

ReverendPhill
03-15-2009, 06:32 PM
i hope thats a joke.

No it wasn't a joke at all. I'm just happy Elder covered it so I didn't have to.

I wonder if 2k's entry into sabermetrics was in part due to Billy Bean's involvement with MLB Manager although it's too bad that with the descriptions they couldn't have included the formula's to getting the stats so people can maybe get more comfortable with them.

Defensive stats at it's present state can always be nitpicked as they aren't nearly as clear as offensive stats but for the most part you can try and slice up Jeter's stats but he'll come out being mediocre to maybe average. He's not an awful player or anything but the Yankees would be better off if he would move to third or second.

Du Werk
03-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Elder, now i wont flame or bash anything you said. I respect it in it's entirety. I am however, new to sabermetrics but slowly learning about it and what it can offer. As far as jeter being a bad shortstop all i can say is on paper sure he looks bad but he has been known for being clutch for years and clearly he is on the decline. He is no where near the player he was back in 96-2000 but lets face it that was over 10 years ago. He had his prime no question.

He was never a big guy, a big bat or anything related to big..He is the captain for being who he is. Now moving him to second or 3rd would not solve anything. Each position is usually equally demanding.

but showing him no respect he has earned and calling him the worst for a long time? come on. a 69 rating is rookie shit and he still pulls off that patented move mid air throw. Hes getting older, he isnt as agile and quick but hes got heart.

ElderOmnivore
03-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Elder, now i wont flame or bash anything you said. I respect it in it's entirety. I am however, new to sabermetrics but slowly learning about it and what it can offer. As far as jeter being a bad shortstop all i can say is on paper sure he looks bad but he has been known for being clutch for years and clearly he is on the decline. He is no where near the player he was back in 96-2000 but lets face it that was over 10 years ago. He had his prime no question.

He was never a big guy, a big bat or anything related to big..He is the captain for being who he is. Now moving him to second or 3rd would not solve anything. Each position is usually equally demanding.

but showing him no respect he has earned and calling him the worst for a long time? come on. a 69 rating is rookie shit and he still pulls off that patented move mid air throw. Hes getting older, he isnt as agile and quick but hes got heart.

Oh, I'm not bashing him as a player overall. I acknowledge that even with his defensive being average at best, he is still one of the best shortstops in the game because of his bat that is still well above average last year withstanding. Before last year, he has an OPS+ of 111 or higher every year since 1998. Getting that from the shortstop position makes that 111 that much better.

However, the way his defense is going coupled with the decline in offense, he only had an OPS+ of 102 last year, it's evident he needs to be moved. The only problem is finding a place to put him. Tex signing that long contract makes first impossible. A-Rod at third makes third impossible. Cano is still young enough that he can grow and become better. So, they're not going to want to move him. The only place that leaves is the outfield or DH. Seeing as how they'll be looking for outfielders next year since Damon and Matsui's are up this year, maybe they'll consider moving him there.

Like I said, I do respect Jeter. He's a good guy and he plays the game hard. He just isn't nearly what he used to be. Which is why him starting any games over Rollins for Team USA pisses me off. That should not happen. The "intangibles" that Jeter brings don't overcome the fact that Rollins is a better fielder, runner, and hitter than Jeter.

Gohan Reborn
03-16-2009, 04:03 PM
All Jeter is a clutch hitter. I'm not saying this because I'm a Mets fan. I may despise the Yankees but Jeter is nothing special beyond that. His fielding is among the worst in the MLB. I find it completly ridiculous that they moved A-Rod over to 3rd instead of him, but in the end it was a good decision. I don't think Jeter would've been able to handle third as well as A-Rod has, and that's saying something.

Jeter is the Yankee posterboy, and the only thing I will give him absolute credit for are the following. He is absolutly clutch. He hits when he needs to, in big games, tight games, in the playoffs. Very well under pressure. And also how he handles the media. I don't remember him ever once saying something "bad" to the media. Handles them very well, along with his image.

Du Werk
03-18-2009, 07:08 PM
All Jeter is a clutch hitter. I'm not saying this because I'm a Mets fan. I may despise the Yankees but Jeter is nothing special beyond that. His fielding is among the worst in the MLB. I find it completly ridiculous that they moved A-Rod over to 3rd instead of him, but in the end it was a good decision. I don't think Jeter would've been able to handle third as well as A-Rod has, and that's saying something.

Jeter is the Yankee posterboy, and the only thing I will give him absolute credit for are the following. He is absolutly clutch. He hits when he needs to, in big games, tight games, in the playoffs. Very well under pressure. And also how he handles the media. I don't remember him ever once saying something "bad" to the media. Handles them very well, along with his image.

Granted, but ill take post season clutch over anything, anyday. since '96 Jeter has earned every ounce of credibility a player can get. He's a stand up guy and has performed on the highest level. No player can stay great forever. Like i said, he has peaked and earned 4 rings for it. Now peaking at such a young age isnt ideal- but he isnt a power hitter he hits for average..
enough thread jacking though.

SengIV
03-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Well this topic went way off topic....

macreco
03-19-2009, 03:03 AM
Holy cow. All these people stood up for their Jeter being a good fielder or not. lol. Way off topic

ElderOmnivore
03-19-2009, 03:37 AM
To be fair, it isn't really off topic at all. It's just addressing one specific issue that he brought up and that's the poor fielding. Pointing out that his sixty-nine fielding is probably quite deserved is rather on topic. Trying to defend Jeter by saying he's clutch and going away from his fielding may be considered off topic, but I wasn't the first to do that. My first post was right on talking about Jeter's poor defense and how the game is right in its rating of it.

Du Werk
03-19-2009, 02:06 PM
To be fair, it isn't really off topic at all. It's just addressing one specific issue that he brought up and that's the poor fielding. Pointing out that his sixty-nine fielding is probably quite deserved is rather on topic. Trying to defend Jeter by saying he's clutch and going away from his fielding may be considered off topic, but I wasn't the first to do that. My first post was right on talking about Jeter's poor defense and how the game is right in its rating of it.

And i was just bringing up that aside from his sabermetrics rating, he does still have positive sides to him. Didn't really go offtopic at all. Just an exchage of facts/opinions. I'm a die hard Yankee fan and I respectfully accept his facts/opinions..

This has everything to do with fielders rating and current events of how a player is:fielder rating. Maybe they were a litttle harsh as Jeter was the coverboy for 2k6 and 2k7 and theyre being spiteful, because imo; a 69 is minor league ratings but lets just move on or lock this thread.

ElderOmnivore
03-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Well, I suppose I should mention that I do agree with everything you said in your original post.

Although, the last few games I've played have actually had surprisingly few of those problems in them. I actually have a little bit of hope that a corner has been turned...I probably just jinxed it though. The next game will have twenty of these problems in the first inning alone.

Du Werk
03-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Well, I suppose I should mention that I do agree with everything you said in your original post.

Although, the last few games I've played have actually had surprisingly few of those problems in them. I actually have a little bit of hope that a corner has been turned...I probably just jinxed it though. The next game will have twenty of these problems in the first inning alone.

LOL yeah i bet, 2K really has fallen off, they cant make a good hockey game and The Bigs is a joke. The Bigs 2 looks EXACTLY the same...the better merge with another good company or theyre out of business..

ElderOmnivore
03-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Either that or MLB and the NFL could stop selling their exclusive rights to just one company. Competition spurs people to make better games.

For instance, other than the debacle that was NBA Live last year, or was it the year before, both basketball games have at least been decent and playable lately.

I remember that when I first heard about the exclusive rights. I wanted it to be the other way around. I wanted 2K to have the football and I wanted EA to have the baseball.

Midnight Malice
03-21-2009, 12:56 PM
I haven't had many errors in the games I have played, but when they happen, they are VERY costly. Bottom of the Ninth, man on first, 1 out I'm up by 2... easy grounder to 3rd... 3rd baseman picks it up and stares at it I hold LT and trow to second, he pumps the throw, with a leadoff man at 1st, I don't get that out, I throw to first and he lifts his foot, don't get that out. Next batter, high pop to shallow left... I am standing right under it for an easy out, and runners cant advance.... but wait, the ball bounces off my rated 97 catch players glove and rolls to the outfield. I go pick it up and throw a perfect in the green lazer to Home but the catcher misses it and 2 runs score... WTF is this garbage? Like I said, I have only had stuff like this on occasion in my 20+ offline games, but when they happen... damn.

Makes me really not want to play this anymore. I am holding my breath everytime the ball is even put into play because of little league errors these multi million dollar players seem to do in 2K9.

So I heard a patch is on the way? Thats good. We will see how that affects the game, cause when things like this don't happen, it is a hell of a game... when they do, it makes me want to take my own bat to the lead tester or head QA and ask them how they could actually let this get out of the development phase.