PDA

View Full Version : Current Improvements to the Site?

Shelton
03-18-2009, 06:27 AM
I've noticed lately that an idea will be put forth on this forum only to be met with; "This is currently being implemented."

There is a thread with previously suggested idea's, however I'd like to see a thread with all the things that x360a is currently working on as it seems some of the idea's are either missing from the aforementioned thread or too new to have been added. (Note, the last time it was updated was November)

Also, it could be things the staff thought up themselves. In this case, the information is not available for the TC of the "Previously Suggested Idea's" thread.

This creates an issue. The people providing idea's receive the "Is currently being implemented" line without any reference point. How do they know their idea is not being stolen? I know the staff here to be reputable individuals so I know they wouldn't do that but for newcomers it could be a different story.

A couple of alternatives to my first suggestion;

*A staff idea's thread

*An updated "Previously Suggested Idea's" thread with staff contributions and ongoing support.

I believe if any of these suggestions were implemented, it'd stem the flow of repeat threads (in the feedback forum) and give the community an idea of where x360a is headed in the future. Maybe give them something to look forward to.

Ingles
03-18-2009, 07:19 AM
This is currently being implemented. :p

I just had to say that. Sorry, couldn't resist. Uhmm... not sure, good point though. With all the ideas being suggested vs. those being implemented, it'd be quite the task to keep track of every single thing thats mentioned every day. You could help eliminate a lot of new threads by informing people to check the "Previously Mentioned Ideas" thread have you but we all know people don't and a vast majority won't.

There is a thread with previously suggested idea's, however I'd like to see a thread with all the things that x360a is currently working on as it seems some of the idea's are either missing from the aforementioned thread or too new to have been added. (Note, the last time it was updated was November)

This on the other hand is true. There is a thread containing previously suggested ideas and all the different times that those ideas have been suggested with links to the threads where they were suggested. Is it me or was that a long sentence? I think the ball was kind of dropped on that thread, not sure.

Skillet
03-18-2009, 03:34 PM
I believe the previously suggested ideas thread is more of an FSI - "Frequently Suggested Ideas" thread.

As in, whether they are being implemented or not, they're requested a lot.

Honestly though, while your suggestion is novel, I think it's a little... well, pointless.

Let me explain. The whole "Currently being implemented" line covers quite a bit of ground, does it not? It simply says "this idea has been suggested before and we're looking into it."

Whereas, if the idea is new, the staff are either quick to encourage or discourage it's... usability.

In other words, isn't making a bunch of new threads to list which threads are "currently being implemented" a little counterproductive?

Ingles
03-18-2009, 04:31 PM
In other words, isn't making a bunch of new threads to list which threads are "currently being implemented" a little counterproductive?

I don't think he was getting at so much making a bunch of new threads to list which ones were "currently being implemented" as he was mentioning just having one thread that was updated on a somewhat regular basis. I think that's what he was trying to get at perhaps with the thread idea. Am I correct in thinking this Shelton?

Shelton
03-18-2009, 08:02 PM
This is currently being implemented. :p

I just had to say that. Sorry, couldn't resist. Uhmm... not sure, good point though. With all the ideas being suggested vs. those being implemented, it'd be quite the task to keep track of every single thing thats mentioned every day.
I don't believe the idea's being implemented would be too plentiful. Not even close to the amount previously suggested. Since those are able to be covered, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to get a thread with a list of idea's being implemented together.

You could help eliminate a lot of new threads by informing people to check the "Previously Mentioned Ideas" thread have you but we all know people don't and a vast majority won't.

It is a problem. However the only thing we can do is provide the sticky's. Some people ignore them, sure, but we still need them there for the people who will actually follow the rules. Otherwise it'd be nothing but the same ideas over and over.

I believe the previously suggested ideas thread is more of an FSI - "Frequently Suggested Ideas" thread.

As in, whether they are being implemented or not, they're requested a lot.

It is more a list of general ideas that have been suggested, as opposed to every single thing that is suggested. I noticed when looking through this forum that alot of things that are apparently being implemented are not covered in that thread...

Honestly though, while your suggestion is novel, I think it's a little... well, pointless.

Let me explain. The whole "Currently being implemented" line covers quite a bit of ground, does it not? It simply says "this idea has been suggested before and we're looking into it."

No, doing that would be pointless. You misunderstood my intentions. One thread listing all ideas is what I want. Not one for each. That would make absolutely no sense.

Whereas, if the idea is new, the staff are either quick to encourage or discourage it's... usability.

The issue is that ideas which are seemingly new, are already being implemented! Countless times I've searched through this forum looking for where an idea was suggested but found nothing. This leads me to surmise that it was an idea from the staff. Look at my original post for my views on this.

I don't think he was getting at so much making a bunch of new threads to list which ones were "currently being implemented" as he was mentioning just having one thread that was updated on a somewhat regular basis. I think that's what he was trying to get at perhaps with the thread idea. Am I correct in thinking this Shelton?

Spot on.

Skillet
03-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Okay, I understand what you're getting at. But I probably should've chose better words to get my point across.

While a bunch of threads isn't accurate, I believe a single thread is still rather pointless and time consuming.

It's simply easier to waltz into a thread and say that it's already being discussed than it is to create some sort of Feedback Forum directory that lists every idea ever suggested and the current status of that suggestion.

Shelton
03-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Okay, I understand what you're getting at. But I probably should've chose better words to get my point across.

While a bunch of threads isn't accurate, I believe a single thread is still rather pointless and time consuming.

It's simply easier to waltz into a thread and say that it's already being discussed than it is to create some sort of Feedback Forum directory that lists every idea ever suggested and the current status of that suggestion.

Why have the previously suggested idea's thread then?

The point of that thread is to stop people from posting idea's which have already been suggested. In turn this will save bandwidth, which is important.

I'm thinking long term. Seeing the same threads repeatedly and doing as you say is not effective. Surely it becomes tiresome for the staff to see the same idea pop up every other day.

Even if a thread of staff idea's being implemented was put in place, (in conjunction with "Previously Suggested Ideas) it'd be preferable.

Though, personally, I'd rather know the full length of what they are working on.

Honestly, with the limited amount of people who run this site, the list should not be too extensive.

Skillet
03-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Why have the previously suggested idea's thread then?

The point of that thread is to stop people from posting idea's which have already been suggested. In turn this will save bandwidth, which is important.

I'm thinking long term. Seeing the same threads repeatedly and doing as you say is not effective. Surely it becomes tiresome for the staff to see the same idea pop up every other day.

Even if a thread of staff idea's being implemented was put in place, (in conjunction with "Previously Suggested Ideas) it'd be preferable.

Though, personally, I'd rather know the full length of what they are working on.

Honestly, with the limited amount of people who run this site, the list should not be too extensive.

I'm far from the final word on things. I'm quite surprised Dan or Minty or... hell, even Pants hasn't posted in here yet.

Like I said before, I think the previously suggested ideas thread is more of a frequently suggested ideas thread. As in, the ones that kept popping up time after time.

As for wanting to "know the full extent of what they're working on"... I doubt that will ever happen. The admins are super secretive about these things. I think they're the only ones who really know what's going on and they'd probably like to keep it that way.

Shelton
03-18-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm far from the final word on things. I'm quite surprised Dan or Minty or... hell, even Pants hasn't posted in here yet..

It would be nice to hear their views on the matter...

As for wanting to "know the full extent of what they're working on"... I doubt that will ever happen. The admins are super secretive about these things. I think they're the only ones who really know what's going on and they'd probably like to keep it that way.

Why? How do they have anything to gain by keeping these things secret? It'd make more sense to announce "Yes, this is what we're working on."

The community may be excited about the announcement/more inclined to stick with the site to see how the idea works out.

Keeping the idea to themselves benefits no-one. It may be nice to say "Surprise, look what we've done" but its not really practical.

It does seem a common occurence however. An idea is replied to with a wry(emote) smile and a "wait and see" tag.

Marx0r
03-18-2009, 10:17 PM
There's a few reasons they don't want to make things they're working on public. If they don't follow through with it, they look bad. Also, it's happened before that a rival site took the things we were working on and implemented it before we did. Making us look like the thieves when it was really them.

Also, most suggestions that are met with "this is already being worked on" are suggested a LOT. iPhone apps, Auto-update Checklists, rating games in terms of difficulty, etc. The people that suggest these things don't look at the stickied "Ideas already suggested" thread, why would they look at a "Ideas being Implemented" one?

Shelton
03-19-2009, 04:30 AM
There's a few reasons they don't want to make things they're working on public. If they don't follow through with it, they look bad.

It is a valid point you make. However, could they not increase their reputation by following through on the idea's presented? If people see that idea's are being implemented they'd be more likely to help out and provide new feedback+concepts.

Look at Road Maps, they are IMO an amazing addition and the idea came from one of the community members.

x360a "relies" on the communities feedback to a degree. Sure, the site as a whole is run by a few individuals, but alot of the great things that are seen on the site were suggested by random people.

Also, it's happened before that a rival site took the things we were working on and implemented it before we did. Making us look like the thieves when it was really them.

Isn't this a legal issue? From my perspective, this is another positive for my idea. If x360a make it clearly known what they are working on then other sites will not be able to "steal" their idea's/work. (Some form of copyright?)

If x360a keep it to themselves and another site implements it, they have no leg to stand on, so to speak.

In the case that there is no legal issue, what is stopping that "other" achievement site from using the same idea there after it is put in practice here? Makes no difference really.

x360a should publish their idea's and provide a date. At least then, if idea's were stolen and implemented, they could show people that yes, they thought of it first.
A moral victory.

Also, most suggestions that are met with "this is already being worked on" are suggested a LOT. iPhone apps, Auto-update Checklists, rating games in terms of difficulty, etc. The people that suggest these things don't look at the stickied "Ideas already suggested" thread, why would they look at a "Ideas being Implemented" one?

As I said before, it is still best to have it there for people who do follow rules and are not just careless about posting. If there was no "Previously Suggested Idea's thread" this board would be 100x worse.

Again, if you refer to my previous posts I mentioned that there are idea's which are apparently already being implemented but have no other point of reference on the board.

Another thought I had, which leads away from the secretive nature of x360a, is to have a "Coming soon to x360a" feature on the home page.

For example a couple of months ago it would have been "Road Maps, coming soon to x360a" With a hyperlink there which would lead to the thread discussing it so members would know what to expect.

Obviously, these features would need to be at the forefront of x360a's endeavors. Only a feature that is being worked on and will certainly be implemented would be included on the main page .

Minty
03-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Personally, I think listing what we're working on just allows other sites to see what we're doing to stretch our lead away from them either further, and gives them an opportunity to respond.

I don't think theres many ideas that actually get suggested on a regular basis, other than achievement difficulty, which is being worked on ;)

The Pants Party
03-19-2009, 12:30 PM
It is a valid point you make. However, could they not increase their reputation by following through on the idea's presented?

It isn't a question of if it gets implemented, it is more a question of how long it takes. You have to remember this site is run by people with jobs, families and schooling to attend. If something comes up in our personal lives, we have to step back and deal with that before we'll be here working on stuff. If we say we have something in the works and ask people to be patient, I'd hope they'd just take our word for it and let it be. If we published a list we would have message upon message asking how they could help or when it will be finished, which just takes time away from the time we could be spending actually working on it. If we needed help from the community we'd ask (such as the podcast editing job a bit ago) and if we knew when it would be ready we'd announce it.

So hey, just be patient and let us wow you when the time comes. ;)

Himself0890
03-19-2009, 02:11 PM
It isn't a question of if it gets implemented, it is more a question of how long it takes. You have to remember this site is run by people with jobs, families and schooling to attend. If something comes up in our personal lives, we have to step back and deal with that before we'll be here working on stuff. If we say we have something in the works and ask people to be patient, I'd hope they'd just take our word for it and let it be. If we published a list we would have message upon message asking how they could help or when it will be finished, which just takes time away from the time we could be spending actually working on it. If we needed help from the community we'd ask (such as the podcast editing job a bit ago) and if we knew when it would be ready we'd announce it.

I know how aggrevating programming can be (it's my second job). But I go to college 5 days a week and work 4 to 5 days a week at my first job, and still have time to program...

The Pants Party
03-19-2009, 02:52 PM
I never said Rx didn't have time to do it, hence why the site HAS been getting upgrades, he just works at his own pace is all.

Shelton
03-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Personally, I think listing what we're working on just allows other sites to see what we're doing to stretch our lead away from them either further, and gives them an opportunity to respond.

I don't think theres many ideas that actually get suggested on a regular basis, other than achievement difficulty, which is being worked on ;)

Do their staff frequent here often? Or vice versa?

The only thing they have on their site that we don't is the achievement difficulty. Is this the idea which Marxor alluded to earlier that was stolen?

The other achievement site is laughable IMO. I do see your logic however and accept your view on the matter.

I understand.

Guess it creates more problems than it solves.

I appreciate the detailed response.

Back to the drawing board:(