PDA

View Full Version : MUST READ REVIEW: I made the mistake of buying these...

evanevanevan
03-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Despite the over-pricing because I love Scrabble and Battleship. Please do not follow in my mistaken footsteps.

OK, first of all, the navigation through the "room", which is basically your menu screen, is poor and frustrating. That is the least of the problems.

Second of all, any multi-player game is immediately canceled if any player leaves or is disconnected, whether it is 2, 3 or 4 players. This means if anyone of the group is bored or has something to do, or feels they are being beaten too bad and just wants to quit, they can and your game is over. In addition, it will not be saved toward achievments.

Third, which ties in with the second reason, the servers are extremely unreliable. Many times the game will end with a player suppposedly leaving, and you are brought back to the player screen with all 4 players still present. The servers experiencing a hiccup for a second is enough to end your game. I even experienced several times where my single player game ended saying that a player had disconnected where I was the only player. I don't know if this problem is eliminated by playing offline, because I was just frustrated at that point and ready to quit.

Finally, the multi-player match-maker does not take into account what game you are playing, and will often send you to a match of a game you don't have, and send other players to your game who do not have it, blocking the game from starting until they leave. Then after waiting for a few moments sometimes, the person suddenly does own it and can play, or will eventually leave, but some will just sit and wait like you are going to change games all of the sudden. To make matters worse, there is no option to boot a player from a game (at least not that I am aware of) so if someone is keeping you and two others from playing Scrabble you just have to wait them out.

Please take these matter into account when you consider buying these games. At the very least, give it a few weeks/months for them to release a working version, and buy a second or third server.

Giantxxx
03-19-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree with the above if you wish to play this properly. but however if you are looking for very very very easy gamerscore then they dont come much better than this..

ponypo2001
03-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Sadly,the game has "EA" in the title so you have very little chance of them ever fixing anything.Sadly,these games seem good for the gamerscore and nothing else.

orange20
03-19-2009, 07:27 PM
yea good for the gamerscore if your made of money. 800 pts a game and there will be 7 of them! thats way to much money for some board games. ill just play the real ones i have had sitting in my closet for the past 10 years collecting dust.

evanevanevan
03-19-2009, 08:07 PM
It is garbage.

Giantxxx
03-19-2009, 08:24 PM
I've been playing multi-player, normal games and party games on Battleships, Connect 4 and Yahtzee all online and they are all alot of fun. This will be fine once people realize they need to buy the games to play them. I think your being too harsh. 800pts is the going rate for any arcade game but here you can play multiple games together. very easy, very enjoyable and personally I feel they are worth the 800pts. You could just get them out of the cupboard, but this way there is no mess when you finish a Connect 4 game. Its worth it just for that.... This is what XBOX live arcade was made for, old classics being played with opponents around the world. unbeatable.

Anathros0
03-19-2009, 08:36 PM
their all too over priced, not worth the 800 ms

Vivi
03-19-2009, 08:55 PM
I think their fairly priced. Sure 400 pts each would be nice..but 800 pts.......I can live with.

Motrahtox
03-20-2009, 12:14 AM
These titles do seem ridiculously priced considering they are just board games, but by the looks of it they seem to be selling pretty well .

In this new electronics driven world I could see a family playing these titles in this form as opposed to busting out the original physical board games. Speaking for myself though I fee a certain satisfaction in actually physically playing the game as opposed to moving an analog stick and hitting A so Ill be playing on the fold out cardboard and plastic pieces when my son is old enough to hopefully enjoy these games.

kgould01
03-20-2009, 02:33 PM
im only buying yahtzee and sorry sliders when it comes out.

1337Pwner
03-20-2009, 02:38 PM
I think their fairly priced. Sure 400 pts each would be nice..but 800 pts.......I can live with.

But dude think about this logically. This game is out on Wii for like $40. Thisgame ends up being about $70 the way they priced it for XBLA.
It's a rip off and pretty ridiculous.

Vivi
03-20-2009, 06:47 PM
But dude think about this logically. This game is out on Wii for like $40. Thisgame ends up being about $70 the way they priced it for XBLA.
It's a rip off and pretty ridiculous.

buy it for the wii then. Does the Wii offer you online play and achievements, and easy accessibility?

No.

UCB Disco
03-20-2009, 10:47 PM
For all of you bashing this, no offense, but $10 per game is NOT expensive. If you'd like to go to the store and spend $25 on Scrabble, $15 on Connect 4, $20 on Battleship, and $15 for Yahtzee, be my guest.

$10 a game actually isn't that bad, and it takes away the stress of preparation and clean up. My wife and I have really enjoyed playing Scrabble, as it's one of our favorite board games, and it's so much nicer not having to sort the letters, make sure we have everything, put it all together, look up words to see if they're correct, and then cleaning up the board once we are done.

I think this was a smart idea for people who enjoy these board games. If you were expecting this to be "exciting new elements to the Xbox LIVE Arcade", then you are looking in the wrong place. But if you were looking for a cheaper means of getting some board games you were refusing to buy because of their price tag (As I listed above) with a lot less prep time, then these are a wonderful addition to your Xbox Library. It all depends on how you're approaching the matter.

LX PROTOCOL V2
03-20-2009, 11:17 PM
I agree with the guy above. The games are not that bad. I can see people complaining about the price, but if you don't like it, don't buy it. $10 a game seems to be about the average. I wish they were cheaper only because I would like to buy more of them!

I was happy to see EA put a multi-player option. Yes, there are a few things they could have done better. I wish the inter face moved a little quicker, but it is fun and great for families.

I must say what I am disappointed about. I saw family game night, went to check the price, and I was very excited. I thought, what a great free game to offer! I lost that feeling once I realized you had to buy each game. I wish they offered a discount for buying three or more.

I wish Monopoly or Trivia P. could have been done more like this. Neither one of those games include online. Crazy, huh? Monopoly would have also been the perfect game to include the ability for downloadable content. There are dozens of monopoly boards on the market and people would have gladly shelled out and extra $5 or so to play Star Wars or Spiderman Monopoly. I'll quit this rant now, on the wrong forum for it.

To sum it up though, I think it is overall a good value, but you feel a little cheated knowing PC and Wii players got off cheaper.

1337Pwner
03-21-2009, 05:12 AM
buy it for the wii then. Does the Wii offer you online play and achievements, and easy accessibility?

No.

God that was a dumb statement. Totally missed the point.

More than likely there is online play with the Wii version, achievements aren't the point of gaming (just keeps things interesting but it isn't the world), and easy accessibility? Is grabbing a cd and popping it into your system too much now? lol But ANYWAYS that's not the point.

Here's the case, cutting out the need to manufacture the game discs for this system should've cut the cost way down instead of doubling in price. All they do is upload it to the servers once and that's it, everyone else downloads a copy. Not much money spent on the companies part or even effort and it just makes no business sense whatsoever to have the price doubled like this. Now I love XBLA downloads and I have loads of game add-ons, but this shit is a pure rip off.

Vivi
03-21-2009, 06:08 AM
I'm not missing the point. Some people dont mind paying $10 for these. Others do. Doesnt ruin the experience of the games. If you dont want them. Dont buy them. Bitching about it isnt going to make them cheaper.

1337Pwner
03-21-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm not missing the point. Some people dont mind paying $10 for these. Others do. Doesnt ruin the experience of the games. If you dont want them. Dont buy them. Bitching about it isnt going to make them cheaper.

Blah blah blah once again completely over your head.
Look at it from a business standpoint and it makes no sense at all. Of course some people wouldn't mind paying 10 each, but once again why exactly are you unnecessarily paying 10 each?

CRAZYCJ20
03-21-2009, 06:32 PM
I would have prefered a disc for $40 (like on the other consoles), but MS had to whore out this game and charge for each of the 7 board games within the game :mad: I could care less about online because I got them more to play locally with people that don't like my other games (such as my girlfriend), however, the price is a bit over for what the games are really worth. Also, if you're an achievement junkie like me, this game will fuck your completion percentage if you don't purchase them all because the games are counted as one worth 1400G.

gooniesala
03-22-2009, 02:33 AM
I downloaded the 'free' pack this morning, haven't bought the full games yet - yes 800pts seems to be the common amount charged for things these days. 1200-1500pts would have been great, however since its not slowly purchase the ones i want. Don't have to do it all right away - but looking forward to playing a few of these games online something different :D

SignifiedLisa
03-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Yeah, its expensive, but I think they are worth it. I've not really tried playing them on live much, but playing locally they are loads of fun. I love the little addition of party mode which gives you little minigames for each game you've got. Basically if you aren't too much of a loner I think you and your mates will enjoy it :) I know I do.

ponypo2001
03-25-2009, 04:51 AM
Look at it from a business standpoint and it makes no sense at all. Of course some people wouldn't mind paying 10 each, but once again why exactly are you unnecessarily paying 10 each?

One word.

ACHIEVEMENTS

Quickie
03-25-2009, 06:24 AM
I am also unhappy with the way the navigation of the room is set up. It is a pain in the ass to move from game to game, you have to leave all the way to the main menu to change to two player, this is leaving the game menu that looks, and feels like it should have the option to switch between single, and multiplayer settings, why not, each game menu offers all the other options, why not those ones too!

These games are a quick and easy 200 points, they should fix the instant win thing with Scrabble, that lets you win games towards achievements by quitting as soon as the board is set up. I did take advantage of that to get the achievements associated with it quickly, but I do plan to play more games of Scrabble. Overall, I enjoyed Scrabble, I do with it was a little cheaper, maybe 600 MS points.

I also bought Yhatzee (well i'm not sure if I bought or if it was free, I doubt it was free, I just don't remember spending the points to get it!) The game has as much substance as playing a real game of Yhatzee, except it's missing the friends that you can throw dice at, and the beer and shots to drink with it. In hindsight, if it wasn't worth an easy 200 points, it would not be worth spending money on.

I'll probably buy the rest of the games because I am a sucker. I loved these games in my youth, and coming back to them is fun, they are just so damn overpriced, but what am I complaining for, i'm going to buy them anyway!

subsonickharma
03-25-2009, 02:11 PM

It makes perfect sense from a business standpoint...charge 10 dollars a game and people will pay it.

Second, the wii version has no online, no Scrabble and no achievements. So you are paying more to get more...and value to you could be different then value to me. I love Scrabble and this is a lot easier then going to Toys R US and spending 15 for Scrabble...or 30 for the Scrabble that was released on the DS. plus I am sure that they have to pay a fee to put the game up on Xbox live..it isn't like that is all free.

[Waggly Bean]
03-25-2009, 02:19 PM
The thing I hated about this was that it stuck the game (0/1400 points) on my gamercard just from playing the trial.

I'm just so glad you can delete zeros - I'm no completionist but I don't want this tat forced onto my gamercard from playing a trial - I thought that problem had been solved!

Suffice to say I deleted the stupid thing afterwards.

qSasukep
04-01-2009, 03:20 AM
there was WAY too many post to read all on here, but the ones i did read sound about the same, i agree that this game is garbage only becuz: THIS GAME HAS LIED TO ME BEFORE I DOWNLOADED IT. your right, im not made of money, but i am good at math, man i wish i was mircosoft. normally a game u can get for 10$$ at gamestop will give u 1000, while this is 70$$ and only 1400, the reason why they lied to me, i downloaded it becuz it said FREE, not $70.00, screw this, its just as bad as a $40 "vision cam" which is only for pictures u cant even record, so ty for making my mind 100% clear on this game, i will not pay a penny for this garbage:locked:locked:locked:locked:locked:locked: woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

qSasukep
04-01-2009, 03:24 AM
actually, while that would make sense to a normal person, its actually not always true.

At $10, lets say you have 5,000 people willing to buy the game. that nets you a total of $50,000. But let's say you make the price for the same content $5- and now you have 20,000 people willing to purchase it- thats a total of $100,000 in sales.

The problem is figuring out what the content is ACTUALLY worth to people. Sure, some people will pay $10 for it, but its very likely that they would actually make MORE money with a lower price, since several times more people would be willing to buy it, probably enough to actually make more money.

Of course, it can be tricky. Price it too low, and you might not make enough money to cover the difference and make more. However, with THIS, I can almost guarantee they would make more money charging 400 MSP than they would at 800 MSP per game.

lets look at it at microsofts view shall we....

oh hey , i got soo much money, how can we get more? we need more? HELL YEA, lets jack this price up and f them hardcore!! haha, they dont even remember that they paid $50 plus tax to even be able to download this for a 13 month time, man we need more money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

sneh
04-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Here in Australia, we cant even get scrabble (coz americans spell things wrong) :P

Yahtzee, battleship and connect 4 are available, boggle, sorry and sliders say coming soon, but no mention at all of scrabble. I might have to get some more US points and download it on my US tag.

nanochef
04-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Honestly, paying the money sucks, but i bought them in hopes i could play with someone other than myself. but every 5-10 minutes i disconnect from the EA server and end the game for everyone. what a bunch of wasted time, i dont even get to finish a game and all the achievements dont pop untill you do. I feel like i wasted the damn money too since they dont work properly EA sucks my balls.

AlmightyBronco
04-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Ok lets end the bickering. Whoever decided the price didnt just chose a random amount, they researched the target markets consumer habit n then made a decision. I personally think its overpriced but people are paying. I would prefer if they released a pack with a discount. Im an australian but i have an american account, problem is i cant get american points. So, if someone is interested in a trade or something then let me know. Gt- AlmightyBronco

WesCoast
06-26-2009, 09:42 PM
There's something about actually shaking the dice that make me believe that I have a special power that can affect how they come out. Call it luck, I guess, but I've always had issues with video games with simulated dice. Maybe it was all the times playing Risk on PlayStation where I would get COMPLETELY SCREWED over and lose to rolling triple snake eyes over and over!!!! :uzi:

But anyway, I think this is best for local multiplayer... the family game night! I want to get Scrabble and possibly Yahtzee (despite the dice) because my girlfriend will actually play these games. I only dropped the money on Battleship and we got about as much entertainment as you would going to see some crapfest summer blockbuster movie so by those standards, it was a bargain!

That sucks about the online play... you'd think that would be the primary selling point beyond nostalgia for the higher price tag but they couldn't even manage to get the basic features right.