PDA

View Full Version : Thread starting restrictions?

punker
03-23-2009, 05:42 PM
I tried doing a search, but keep getting an error message when I do, so I read over the "Previously Suggested Ideas" thread, and didn't see this. So if it's been suggested before in the past*, I apologize.

Has there ever been consideration for restricting who can/can't start a thread? What I mean is, maybe users with less than X amount of posts shouldn't be able to start them. This would allow new members to become familiar to the boards and their common topics, and would probably cut down a lot on threads that are started asking things such as, "What are the easy games to get 1000 on?," "Is there a list of free arcade games out there?," etc., etc., etc.

*Which, considering the content of this thread, would be quite ironic.

NFaMuS one
03-23-2009, 06:13 PM
I tried doing a search, but keep getting an error message when I do, so I read over the "Previously Suggested Ideas" thread, and didn't see this. So if it's been suggested before in the past*, I apologize.

Has there ever been consideration for restricting who can/can't start a thread? What I mean is, maybe users with less than X amount of posts shouldn't be able to start them. This would allow new members to become familiar to the boards and their common topics, and would probably cut down a lot on threads that are started asking things such as, "What are the easy games to get 1000 on?," "Is there a list of free arcade games out there?," etc., etc., etc.

*Which, considering the content of this thread, would be quite ironic.

I'm not even sure if that has been suggested before, but it does sound like a good idea. However it may cut down on the number of new sometimes (same topic) threads, but rookies to the site still may and probably will spam threads with unnecessary replies or just post pointless threads once their post count is high enough.

I'm interested to know if this is something that could be worked out, given the several threads started over in the Midnight Club: Los Angeles forum from folks overly pissed about the DLC.

Even still, there's really only so much you can do, I mean afterall, this is the internet, and people abuse the privleges given on message boards.

chrisnottm
03-23-2009, 07:06 PM
What about the people that sign up and actually want help doing something in a game they're stuck on?

Not everybody makes those threads. I only signed up so I could post a thread asking for help.
Plus there will be a huge increase in spam in other threads so these new members can can a post count high enough to make a thread or it'll deter people from visiting at all.

Good in theory but imo it'll cause more problems than it solves :/

dakisbac
03-24-2009, 02:28 AM
That would basically annihilate the Welcome board.

nightmare975
03-24-2009, 03:06 AM
I'm not too keen on the idea, but I have a suggestion.

Perhaps restricting to a certain number of topic creations, like 1 for every 10 posts?

That way, you can get your welcome thread started, or what you need help on, then you have to post some more before you can start another thread.