PDA

View Full Version : Numbers for the Top Posters leaderboard.

pensivedragon
03-30-2009, 01:16 AM
While browsing the forums tonight, I came up with the idea that it would be cool to have a ranked list of who the top posters are. Having been around this forum for a while I knew to hunt around the site first, to see if one already existed I had not found. Lo and behold, if you go to the community tab, and hit posts, it ranks all the members by total post count.

But then, as I checked out the list to see who was in the top ten, and then tried to find where I was on the list, I noticed that while it does rank everyone, it is hard to know exactly what that number is, as you would have to manually count it.

So I have two suggestions/questions.

Would it be possible to put a number beside the names so you can easily see where a person is on the leaderboard in relation to total posts?

Secondly, would there then be a way to be able to jump right to your own spot to see who is around you, or a way to easily know what page/place you are in?

In a related note, is it possible/feasible to track more stats? Such as total number of threads created or, even better, would be if you could track how many words or characters a member has posted.

If it IS possible to track more stats, and it is not too difficult, it might be fun to throw in a stupid stat to track too, such as how many emoticons a poster has used or some such.

Marx0r
03-30-2009, 02:30 AM
We get enough idiots spamming to get higher post numbers as it is, having a rank number would only make things worse.

Tailz
03-30-2009, 02:37 AM
Plus you don't wanna have those "Cool" people with 2,000+ post to have their X360a.org spotlight taken, they might go postal :-P

pensivedragon
03-30-2009, 02:55 AM
We get enough idiots spamming to get higher post numbers as it is, having a rank number would only make things worse.
I dunno, the ranks are there already. And people are likely spamming to get the forum awards or forum ranks, not a higher leaderboard position. I do not think that adding a way to check your rank easier would increase either the amount of spam, or the amount of people doing the spam.
For that matter, if you were able to add tracking of how many words a person has posted along with their post count, you could see who got that way from spam quite easily.
And, assuming you can track the word count, you could potentially adjust the ranking for the leaderboard to take both into account, making spamming to get a higher rank ineffective.

MattDB87
03-30-2009, 02:59 AM
ya thats just a bad idea all together, everyone on this website is obsessed with numbers and ranks, as am i. We would see such spam boost it would be insane.

Skillet
03-30-2009, 03:31 AM
Does it really matter? Adding a rank to the post count is about as pointless as adding a rank to how many times you've passed gas. It helps nobody.

EDIT: And as far as tracking how many threads you or any other members have made, just go to their profile and select statistics. From there, click on "Find all threads started by _____". In the top right corner, it will show you how many results there are.

pensivedragon
03-30-2009, 04:08 AM
Does it really matter? Adding a rank to the post count is about as pointless as adding a rank to how many times you've passed gas. It helps nobody.

Does it really matter? No, it matter no more that any other leaderboard, but that is also the whole point. This is a site, and a community, that LOVES their ranks and numbers, so what is really surprising is that this is not ALREADY there. Aside from that I thought it would be a nice feature to have, and even more important, appears to be easy to implement. It is already tracked, and a place can be easily made for it, just add a column to the page, and a little bit of code and voila!

EDIT: And as far as tracking how many threads you or any other members have made, just go to their profile and select statistics. From there, click on "Find all threads started by _____". In the top right corner, it will show you how many results there are.

That is good to know. I was merely suggesting it because it is something that I believed to be already tracked, and as such, likely easy to implement.

But given a choice I would much rather have the stats for how many words a person posts, or even the average word count per post. It would also be great to see what their average posts per day are, another one that is already tracked.

If you do not want anything that would influence more spam, how about throwing a members join date up there. I would love to be able to sort the list by oldest to newest or vice versa, to see who recently joined, or who the oldest member is.

The page just seem kind of bare, and it would be good to have some more stats to rank and sort by aside from just forum name and post count.

Ingles
03-30-2009, 04:11 AM
Plus you don't wanna have those "Cool" people with 2,000+ post to have their X360a.org spotlight taken, they might go postal :-P

I see what you did there! ;)

I'm not for the idea. As everyone has said, people spam post enough. Why reward them for it or give them the benefit of the doubt?

Marx0r
03-30-2009, 04:55 AM

Who are you referring to exactly?

I dunno, the ranks are there already. And people are likely spamming to get the forum awards or forum ranks, not a higher leaderboard position. I do not think that adding a way to check your rank easier would increase either the amount of spam, or the amount of people doing the spam.
For that matter, if you were able to add tracking of how many words a person has posted along with their post count, you could see who got that way from spam quite easily.
And, assuming you can track the word count, you could potentially adjust the ranking for the leaderboard to take both into account, making spamming to get a higher rank ineffective.

Yeah, the number ranks are there already, but they're hidden. People spam for medals and title ranks because they're highly visible. What do you think will happen once you put site rank right there? Also, it would imply that certain people are better than others because they have a higher rank, when that's obviously untrue.

And honestly, you look like you're grasping at straws once you start talking about word count and spam bots.

Nightdragon
03-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Bad idea, we have enough people spam for the sake of spamming, why give them even more incentive?

Also, this would in no way help the community, just something the odd one or two people might find cool.

We have much more important things to worry about.

If you really want to see the top posters, bring up the members list (community -> member list) and click the "posts" button. This will arrange it in order of posts.

EDIT: Also, the only purpose a post count serves is to stop people signing up, adding themselves to the leaderboard and leaving, thats about it.

Cydonia
03-30-2009, 08:34 AM
..... and in a forum where people are too addicted to scores anyway :D
Wouldn't wanna encourage the OCD, right?