PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Burton tribute forum

steve36ty
03-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Why not create your own Cliff in Create A Character

Here are a couple of pics to inspire you

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/ae/Cliffburtonfree.jpg/220px-Cliffburtonfree.jpg

http://webspace.omniway.sm/casadeis/CliffordLeeBurton.jpg

Pigletoos
03-30-2009, 02:46 PM
I have yet to play a guitar hero since 3, but I'm going to buy this one since I'm a huge Metallica fan and the game looks fun.

I'm really disappointed that Cliff was not in this game, he was a huge part of Metallica and for them not to even put him in the game kinda upsets me. I mean I can understand why Jason wasn't in there, casue he left Metallica. But Cliff had such a tragic death.

R.I.P. Cliff Burton

Stufin135
03-30-2009, 03:08 PM
The guys from Metallica said the did not want to include Cliff in the game because they didn't want Rob Trujillo to feel like he wasn't worthy/noticed. We all know they loved Cliff and would have really wanted him to have been in the game but it just wasn't going to be. Also it might have looked a bit crappy if they couldn't motion capture him. Shame though he was a great bassist and an inspiration to me :(

thedave
03-30-2009, 03:47 PM
I did notice that during my career playthrough, there was a: "Cliff Burton Tribute Guitar"
Unlockable item at one point.
But yes, Metallica was asked at some point, and they decided not to put him in the game.

Double O Slevin
03-31-2009, 06:40 AM
Trap Under Ice.... More like Trapped Under A Bus.... Okay, that was mean and I apologize. I'm sorry, Cliff was the man. His death was very tragic. Had he still been alive, maybe the world would've been saved from the epic fail known as "St. Anger."

PlanetGalida
03-31-2009, 07:00 AM
RIP Cliff. :(

Bl°°dwolf
03-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Trap Under Ice.... More like Trapped Under A Bus.... Okay, that was mean and I apologize. I'm sorry, Cliff was the man. His death was very tragic. Had he still been alive, maybe the world would've been saved from the epic fail known as "St. Anger."

While I agree that Cliff was the man, I think your statement is retarded. He was a motivating force in the band for sure and a creative genius, you can't say that something just like St. Anger wouldn't have come anyway? Or that Metallica wouldn't have broken up over some petty differences because they didn't have a tragedy to pull them closer together?

Btw, St. Anger isn't that bad. Well the crappy production on the studio album is, but the live performance of those tracks is stellar.

Pwneral
03-31-2009, 11:22 AM
I like Cliff Burton and he is great, but I totally agree with the desicion not to include him in the game. It would have been really shit for Rob, who in my opinion is one the best things to happen to Metallica in a while.

spankyNspronkle
03-31-2009, 11:26 AM
Btw, St. Anger isn't that bad. Well the crappy production on the studio album is, but the live performance of those tracks is stellar.

First Off...St Anger is absolute garbage... "isn't that bad" is way more credit than it deserves... there is a reason why on their tour going on now they are reluctant to play a single song from that album.

On the topic of Cliff... they definitely should have put him and the song anesthesia in the game... it would have been nice and i doubt it would have stepped on roberts toes...

lostmotiv
03-31-2009, 02:32 PM
while st anger wasen't that good it did have frantic which was a great song and is even in gh metallica.

and ya as far as cliff goes i don't see why he couldn't have just been an unlocked character for beating the game or something.

Lord Chabelo
03-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Metallica could still have just put in Cliff as an unlockable character and left all the achievements with Trujillo's name and images. To also be fair, they could have included Jason Newstead and Dave Mustain as unlockable characters, but I'm sure that would have been a Pandora's box of copyright issues.

Bl°°dwolf
03-31-2009, 04:39 PM
First Off...St Anger is absolute garbage... "isn't that bad" is way more credit than it deserves... there is a reason why on their tour going on now they are reluctant to play a single song from that album.

Speak for yourself. I'm a die-hard first four albums Metallica fan, and while those will always be the best of their work in my eyes, there are tracks from every album they've ever done that I enjoy as much. That's my opinion, so don't be all douchey about it, kthx.

Double O Slevin
03-31-2009, 07:55 PM
And you don't be douchy about it either, it was a joke, in bad taste maybe, but thats my humor. I didnt like St. Anger in the least bit, I thought it was indeed, "absolute garbage". But, this is my opinion. And if my earlier post offended some, like I side immediately before, I'm sorry!

Crowleyman
03-31-2009, 08:04 PM
First time I saw 'Tallica was in 1984, for Ride the Lightning. I have to agree, the first 4 albums are their best. "Black" album was good, not stellar; Load and Re-load can be chalked up to band experimentation (same with S&M), and St. Anger was NOTHING special. I think Death Magnetic is their best work since Justice.

Cliff would have been cool to see in the game, but I can understand the guys wanting to move forward. They love him, and always will, but Rob is their bassist now - Cliff would have understood.

Mustaine wouldn't have been in the game, even if the guys wanted him in there. There's still a ton of hostility between them for that ever to happen.

As for Jason... he quit. They're pissed at him for that, so, he wasn't gonna be in the game, regardless.

It'll be interesting to see who's onstage at the Hall of Fame ceremony this Saturday...

Stufin135
03-31-2009, 11:50 PM
As for Jason... he quit. They're pissed at him for that, so, he wasn't gonna be in the game, regardless.

Metallica understood him quiting though as they knew they were really unfair and mean to him a lot of the time, they did admit this in a interview about their bassists. But Jason did understand this aswell because he knew that he couldn't replace Cliff and that Metallica were just forced to carry on and they didn't have time to shed their tears. To me it was more of a mutual understanding.

Rooster425
04-01-2009, 12:08 AM
If you want to know why they excluded Cliff, merely ask yourself this question; if he were available, would anyone you know play as Rob?

MetallicaDan
04-01-2009, 12:41 AM
R.I.P. Cliff.

I love how this turned into a "is St Anger crap?" argument.

lostmotiv
04-01-2009, 12:46 AM
If you want to know why they excluded Cliff, merely ask yourself this question; if he were available, would anyone you know play as Rob?

i would, i'm only 20 and have not been following metallica since the beginning. Cliff died in 86 i believe? (correct me if wrong) and i was born in 88 so he was before my time. I only really started listening to metallica around the age of 14 which was almost 7 years ago now. I first saw metallica in 2004 and Rob was the bassist at the time. So for someone like me Rob seems like the natural bassist.

ModusOperandi
04-01-2009, 03:07 AM
I'm gonna start out by saying that Metallica is one of my all time favorite bands. Always has and always will be!

That said, they aren't what they used to be once Robert Trujillo joined. IMO, his look just doesn't fit. The band has evolved over the years from style to style, of course. But they've always had the same style at any particular time.
Robert sadly does not fit at all. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against him as a person. He's an amazing bass player, a very amazing bass player!!!! Just doesn't sync with the rest of group imo.

As far as their music since he has joined, yes St. Anger is widely considered their worst album to date, Death Magnetic however, has brought it back and is one of their best! That's my point of view at least!
To each their own right?!

P1TTMAN
04-01-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm multi-quoting the last two posts...
Yeah, I was 3 years old when Cliff Burton died, but I still know what I'm missing.
And Rob... sorry, but a jersey and shorts? That's almost as bad as Lars' nipple rings and speedo. And those pigtails... anyway, how's it make everyone feel to know that he's now been in the band longer than Cliff was? Creepy, huh? :eek:

Lord Chabelo
04-01-2009, 09:30 PM
i would, i'm only 20 and have not been following metallica since the beginning. Cliff died in 86 i believe? (correct me if wrong) and i was born in 88 so he was before my time. I only really started listening to metallica around the age of 14 which was almost 7 years ago now. I first saw metallica in 2004 and Rob was the bassist at the time. So for someone like me Rob seems like the natural bassist.

I totaly get that perspective. I had never heard of Van Halen until the For Unlawfull Carnal Knowledge album. To me the Van Halen I know and love is the one with Sammy Hagar on vocals

Bl°°dwolf
04-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Friend of mine linked this to me... I had to lol.

http://www.wwtdd.com/photo.phtml?post_key=21691&photo_key=85701

Xenolith666
04-01-2009, 11:54 PM
The first thing I did when I made a custom character was make Cliff Burton. I personally wish that they would add a Cliff character as downloadable content or something like that. No offense to Trujillo, he's also a great bassist in his own right... but old school Metallica fans will remember Cliff swinging his head and his crazy bass riffs.

That and I want DLC for all the rest of the songs on Kill em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and Justice for All... screw everything past Black!

Bl°°dwolf
04-02-2009, 12:00 AM
That and I want DLC for all the rest of the songs on Kill em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and Justice for All... screw everything past Black!

I'm with you for the most part... except there are still songs I'd love to have post Black. - Human, Outlaw Torn, Last Caress/Green Hell, and the Motorhead covers from Garage Inc. (or the originals would work for me just as well, 'cause I love Motorhead :D).

Free HEADSH0TS
04-02-2009, 02:40 AM
I see in previous posts the reasons why they didn't put Cliff in the game, but I'm just gunna say that before knowing those reasons and stuff, I was surprised they didn't put him in the game because you unlock 2 Kirk's, the classic and regular.. so why couldn't one of the bass unlockables be Cliff? I don't really see the point in having 2 of the same character unlocked (I understand they're different.. old Metallica & modern Metallica, but still I see no point). I personally don't use the unlockables, but I'm just saying as a sign of respect I don't see why they wouldn't put him in.

TriRock
04-02-2009, 06:58 AM
I would have appreciated Cliff as an unlockable character. But I'm not going to complain about my gaming experience being ruined because he's not in it.

The 'create your own Cliff' idea is cool though. :)

And yeah, Death Magnetic is the best Metallica since Justice. Plus, I support the idea of having all remaining 80's Metallica songs as DLC. :woop:

KtuluMJB
04-03-2009, 03:44 AM
Speak for yourself. I'm a die-hard first four albums Metallica fan, and while those will always be the best of their work in my eyes, there are tracks from every album they've ever done that I enjoy as much. That's my opinion, so don't be all douchey about it, kthx.

Amen to that. Thank God. It's about time. Just because YOU may not like some of Metallica's music, it doesn't mean that is sucks. Always remember, most bands write songs for themselves. Not for fans. That's why they tour. Touring is for fans.