PDA

View Full Version : Nyko Universal Drum Pedal

7ranslucen7
03-31-2009, 03:02 AM
Hi all just recently purchased two of these for GH:M, as many of you like me am very skeptical to purchase 3rd party pedals - for those of us under the budget that can't afford your typical destroyer or omega pedals :p.

http://i39.tinypic.com/nb954j.jpg

Pros:
-Very light weight to the heel-toe
-Very affordable
-Compatible with all consoles and games.
(has a switch much like your xbox headset)
-Design is very crafty featuring a tombstone theme skeleton with studs at the heel area.
-Sturdy overall build
-timing detection is excellent (tested only on RB1 drums)

Cons:
-Metal plating scratches easy, like your typical ipod-esque housing.
-Still slides on the floor, despite improved grips. (mine being tile)
-In box splitter DOES NOT allow both feet down at the same time.
(a very big issue for those of us wanting that true double pedal feel- but can also be corrected by one of the retail db pedal adapters.)

Overall it's excellent for it's price and if your looking for a double pedal this is a very good choice for those of you wanting to save money, but remember you need a true double bass adapter if you really want to play those fast pedal streams with these.

8.5/10
It retails at 19.99+tx
Link (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73845)

Double Bass Adapters (True DB)
Omega Twin Rockers (http://omegapedal.com/twinrocker/index.html) / Roadie Box

Hope this helps guys :)

good ol boy366
03-31-2009, 05:35 AM
nice. thanks for the review.

Path102
03-31-2009, 08:51 PM
what would you recommend for a db adapter? Soz im just a newb when it comes to technical crap =/ Although you may have saved me lots of money was thinking of getting a diff one

7ranslucen7
03-31-2009, 10:43 PM
what would you recommend for a db adapter? Soz im just a newb when it comes to technical crap =/ Although you may have saved me lots of money was thinking of getting a diff one

Definitely the Omega twin rocker or roadie double pass coupler, I'm not sure of other adapters on the market, but people have given those generally good reviews.

The only downside really is the price (25$) for either.

Edit: I just put them in the review at the bottom, links are there as well.

punker
04-01-2009, 01:14 AM
I just read this blurb about this pedal, and wanted to add a little note as a heads up to people--

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/31/nykos-metal-pedal-now-available-includes-splitter-for-double-b/

A quick note on compatibility: According to Nyko, the Metal Pedal splitter can be used with the standard bass pedal for Rock Band 2 or Guitar Hero drum kits. The splitter functionality does not work with Rock Band 1 drum kits. Keep in mind that this only applies to the splitter, the Metal Pedal by itself is still compatible with all existing Rock Band and Guitar Hero drum kits.

7ranslucen7
04-01-2009, 03:22 AM
I just read this blurb about this pedal, and wanted to add a little note as a heads up to people--

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/31/nykos-metal-pedal-now-available-includes-splitter-for-double-b/

Yeah, but it's still a single Y-splitter, so it will not work with the rock band 1/2 drum set as their sensor is different than the guitar hero one.

UBX_drummer
04-01-2009, 03:46 AM
The main thing that annoys me with all these music games is that you shouldn't have to spend hundreds of dollars on new kits and pedals just to be able to play the game properly.

I got the full band set for GH:WT and just from normal use [not smashing them] my drum pads only lasted about 2 months, and now they just don't respond. So now if I actually want to play the game I have to go and spend more money for a decent kit.

That's like buying a car, then you go to drive it home but oh no, the steering wheel doesn't work. You've got this great new thing to play with but no way to control it properly.

7ranslucen7
04-01-2009, 04:08 AM
The main thing that annoys me with all these music games is that you shouldn't have to spend hundreds of dollars on new kits and pedals just to be able to play the game properly.

I got the full band set for GH:WT and just from normal use [not smashing them] my drum pads only lasted about 2 months, and now they just don't respond. So now if I actually want to play the game I have to go and spend more money for a decent kit.

That's like buying a car, then you go to drive it home but oh no, the steering wheel doesn't work. You've got this great new thing to play with but no way to control it properly.

I totally hear you- the idea that having fun is costing more, as much as we're absolving from playing the real thing the more closer we are to spending the same amount.But I figure if it makes you happy... did you try getting it RMA'd I'm pretty sure red octane have been pretty lenient with the drums considering they openly admitted to making them shitty.

Bl°°dwolf
04-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Also while I do not have GHWT drums, I hear there is an adapter that you can get from support to use to hook your drums up to a PC, and retune the response for them if the sensitivity goes out of whack.

Path102
04-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Will the Twin Rocker splitter work with Rb1 kit? Cuz liek Im STILL on my 2nd kit and dont wanna spend 25$ to find out it wont work.

7ranslucen7
04-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Will the Twin Rocker splitter work with Rb1 kit? Cuz liek Im STILL on my 2nd kit and dont wanna spend 25$ to find out it wont work.

Yes, Omega sells the splitter specific to the model you have, and remember the guitar hero drums can use the regular y-splitter.