PDA

View Full Version : Thought you guys would enjoy this read

kokirilink1
04-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Achievement Guides: Boon or Bane (http://www.xboxinsider.net/achievement-guides-boon-or-bane/)

Check it out and leave us some feedback :)

B1GM13
04-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Im So Bane!

KFZ Scrubs
04-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Well guess i'm a boon because i'm not really good with surprises.
Also i'd hate to find out that i did everything in the game except what i was supposed to do to get the achievement. Plus they can help you get those achievements that might be missable... so yeah i like the guides.

OneSweetShannon
04-02-2009, 04:09 PM
I have an appreciation for individuals who put the effort into creating them, and the community for the shared knowledge base. While I don't always use them, I like guides and see nothing wrong with them. Plus, if guides are bad, then discussing the achievements should be considered equally as bad. Every man for himself, you know.

I don't know why the writer would suggest controlling the use of achievement guides by some individuals. Just seemed a wierd comment to me. But he seemingly thinks all 100K+ gs are through cheating as well. So since it's not guides themselves he has a problem with, maybe it's with individuals who have a high score getting even higher scores? That's just kinda lame imo. Other than that, I thought it was an interesting and enjoyable read.

My husband uses guides & walk-throughs consistently for anything that's not a sports game, but I use them less frequently. I like to figure out stuff/find stuff on my own first usually. That being said, I love the roadmaps feature on this site because I will look at a roadmap (when available) to see if there's anything missable or that I should otherwise be aware of before I start a game, particularly a longer one.

Frostylongcat
04-02-2009, 04:26 PM
There's really no difference in making an achievement guide and a walkthrough, they both take a lot of effort and time by the creator. I think achievements don't make you a "slave" to the game, they allow you enjoy the game after you've beaten it. I would have NEVER played CODWAW story mode over again if it wasn't for the achievements, and when playing through for the achievments, i discovered new things in the gameplay that i had missed, and that is something that achievements help us do, enjoy the game. I think if you spend 3 hours trying to get an achievement, getting really mad at the game, that's when you should stop, because that's not healthy. But on the flip side, running through the entire game all over again for a couple of achievement is fine because it allows the for the player to experience the game all over again, whilst hunting for achievements. Really, whatever makes the gamer enjoy himself more is completely acceptable.

x6xDamonx6x
04-02-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm a boon, but I'll only look at a guide after I've finished one playthrough having the storyline made known to me.

SubG3nius
04-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm a boon, but I'll only look at a guide after I've finished one playthrough having the storyline made known to me.

Same here, but it happens that I look on guides and such things during my first playthrough...

Hamster
04-03-2009, 05:47 AM

Same here aswell, apart from when it;s an easy 1000 then i don't care lol .

Bluntman428
04-03-2009, 06:09 AM
I was a "bane".

There was a time when I slaved over achievements.

Now I really don't care that much. I feel like I wasted a LOT of time playing a LOT of really bad games simply for points to add to my virtual identity's profile. I realized at some point that people only think one thing when they see a gamer profile with a bunch of kids and movie games on it, and that's "that guy needs to get out more".

Subsequently, I've ceased to be impressed by people with huge gamerscores for that very reason. I'm more impressed by people who get the full 1000 in games like Gears, Lost Odyssey or L4D than I am those who have 10x the points of those individuals, but they got the majority from shitty games.

I'm not knocking people with games like Avatar or Kung-Fu Panda on their profile. I'm just not impressed by your gamerscore.