PDA

View Full Version : E74... The New Red Ring of Death?

MANILAGORILLA89
04-03-2009, 05:37 AM
After 1.2 years with the Xbox 360 Elite mine finally crapped out on me with the E74 error and one red light( just as I thought something like that would never happen to me!):( The problem appears to be on the rise since NXE and is usually affecting newer consoles with the Falcon motherboards. Is this the new Red Ring of Death? Has anyone in the forums ever experienced this error or anything similar?

Here's a link if you'd like to learn more: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/19/joystiq-survey-xbox-360-e74-errors-on-the-rise-since-nxe/4

Bluntman428
04-03-2009, 06:14 AM
There's always something killing 360's.

I've come to accept that part of the experience of owning a 360 is that it will inevitably die on you. Quite frequently in some cases. I'm on my 6th 360 right now.

Just when I thought I finally got a 360 that wasn't a piece of shit (had mine about 9 months now, about 3 times the length of any of my other 360's) this one started making loud popping sounds.

It made a sound almost like an explosion earlier that literally sounded like a gunshot. I jumped out of my shorts and was freaking out, thinking something in my media center had blown up. Yet everything was working fine, and my 360 continued running without a hitch.

I'm sure 360's aren't supposed to make those sounds though, and it's probably a sign that it's about to crap out on me.

I really want to get a PS3 so I have something to play while my damn 360's are constantly sitting in Microsoft's repair center. :mad:

xvx Tiger xvx
04-03-2009, 10:57 AM
I had exactly the same issue with my Elite. It was pre NXE.
Great service from MS though. UPS picked it up next day, shipped it to Germany, I had it back in under a week.
Well... I had a new Elite to be precise. Something really bad must've happened inside mine!

Incinderator
04-03-2009, 09:29 PM
I just got the same error a week ago. I don't know whether to send it in for repairs or just get a new Arcade and put my hard drive in.

Jdm
04-04-2009, 01:43 AM
The E74 is the new RRoD. If you search here or even Google it, there are tons of discussions about it.

Bababoof
04-04-2009, 03:11 AM
E74s have been around for a long time

MANILAGORILLA89
04-04-2009, 04:21 AM
E74s may have been around since the first 360s were launched, but hasn't been the main thing killing them till after NXE, it's like a post-NXE RRoD. Worst part... It's not covered by the 3-year warranty like the RRoD:mad: Microsoft really needs to make serious upgrades to their consoles!

carter1412
04-06-2009, 09:54 PM
happend to me the other day. SO ANNOYING !!! il give microsoft one more chance and if my next 360 dies, hello sony or onlive lol

CLET8
04-06-2009, 11:41 PM
The exact same thing happened to mine.

OldBayFries
04-06-2009, 11:46 PM
I just got the error right now. It started out with green and black checker box but you could still see the dashboard. Turned it off then back on and I got 1 low right ring.

JUGGLEZ
04-07-2009, 12:58 AM
ive had an elite since 7/13/08 and it just took a crap last week. luckily i have a backup system to play for now. still too busy to call M$ about it. oh sorry i was a e74 as well.

helta_skelta
04-07-2009, 12:58 AM
just got my xbox back yesterday because i got the same error and waited 2 weeks for it to come back

LordDante360
04-07-2009, 01:13 AM
Mine gave me the E47 msg last month, tryed all the ways to sort it by your self of the net but none seemed to work so just gave in and got me a new 1, cant be asked to send it to MS as they wont fix it for free.......

for sure tho it seems this is happening more then before NXE came out.....

dalo10
04-07-2009, 06:09 AM
Mine was the same case as Tigerīs except it wasnīt an elite. Broke pre NXE at about the same week when Gears2 was launched.

Sent it to Germany and got a new one within 10 days + 1 month gold + 1 year warranty.

Obviously I rather like them not to break but I canīt complain about the service I got. Some friends told me E74 has something to do with grafics card dying inside, not sure though.

Jdm
04-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Obviously I rather like them not to break but I canīt complain about the service I got. Some friends told me E74 has something to do with grafics card dying inside, not sure though.

The E74 code is usually associated to the GPU shorting out or being loose from the board. The signs of the GPU shorting out is when your TV displays a bunch of random, distorted pixels while playing a game. Soon after, you may still hear the sound, but there is no image being displayed on your TV. Don't be surprised when you recieve one red quadrant and a E74 code.

MANILAGORILLA89
04-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Mine gave me the E47 msg last month, tryed all the ways to sort it by your self of the net but none seemed to work so just gave in and got me a new 1, cant be asked to send it to MS as they wont fix it for free.......

for sure tho it seems this is happening more then before NXE came out.....

It is happening way more than before NXE came out. You know if enough people complain about it Microsoft will have to extend the warranty for it just like the Red Ring.