PDA

View Full Version : Post your Gamerscore Strategy

ATR NAD
04-03-2009, 03:11 PM
I have been playing for gamerscore for quite a long time now, and I'm also buying and collection my games.
I also buy a game/month and like to play my old games to get achievements from them.
I’m kind of a rational person and I don’t like doing things randomly so I did some rules to play my game and maximize GS and fun.

For example this month’s new game is SF IV
Basically my strategy is to play SFIV every 2days during March and the other days the game where I have the lowest GS. Then to choose which achievement I’ll play for I look at my calendar for ex let’s say April 3rd, then I will try to unlock the 3rd achievement of either SFIV or of my game with lowest GS.
Now in April I will buy a new game and put the SFIV in my collection. Playing this way makes me focus on new games and also not forget the old ones where I don’t have much GS.

I thought it would be interesting to know how x360a’s members decide which game they play and what achievement they decide to work for. Obviously it won’t work for people renting games or maybe I’m just crazy about numbers and I’m a sick member.

EDIT: after few posts I think that thread is not that dumb. Thanks for your post Jackanape, this thread is made for this, people with little points can learn how gamers with huge score play their games and let us become more efficient.

quidyg
04-03-2009, 03:16 PM
that sounds like a decent strategy i might have to try it out. for me, ever since i started trying to get all the achievements in my games, i just tend to play which ever game i feel like playing. Dont really have a strategy.

kentarulez
04-03-2009, 03:23 PM
I do, but I don't.....I have a certain number of games at the moment that I'm trying to complete, but I get bored of my games. Might try out the OPs strategy to be honest, it sounds decent, new game every month to work on and then focus on my 11 games still, sounds sweet.

xvx Tiger xvx
04-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Up until fairly recently I wasn't playing to neccesarily squeeze every point out of the games I played.
I've found that has changed since I spotted the completion % thing on TrueAchievements.
Now I seem to be revisiting old games to get my scores up, just to raise this %.
Now I think of it, that's quite sad :confused:

jackanape
04-03-2009, 03:43 PM
My strategy is usually to play one game at a time from 0-1000g. However, if the game is something particularly long (like Last Remnant) or annoying (getting all S ranks on Wheelman) then I will play something easy alongside it.

This can change when I have to review a game or a game I really want to play comes out (like Resi 5) as I'll drop everything to play those instead. But then I'll go back to whatever game I was on previously to finish it up.

I also have a few older 'project' games on my tag, that I hope to finish off given enough time. These include things like Snooker 2007, GoW, PDZ and RBV. I'll play these when I get an urge, otherwise they are just too much effort.

I will also, if possible, try to get all of the online ahcievements on a game out of the way ASAP - as I know how fast communities on certain titles can die off. Which is why I ONLY have online points in a few games (C&C, Lost Planet, NBA Ballers).

Too.Sneaks
04-03-2009, 03:44 PM
My strategy is, whenever I buy/rent a new game I check the guide and list for the achievements. Any multiplayer chieves I ignore while I play SP. As I got through SP I do anything that gets me an achievement ie: kill x people with x weapon, stuff like that. Anything collectible wise like GOW or stuff like that I usually do on my second run through. Easy collectibles like Halo 3's skulls I usually do right away.

My strat is pretty much play through while doing anything that gets me achievements which is usually what achievements are for; to use and do different things in the game that aren't necessarily going to be done if there wasn't achievements.

My GS % is around 71%. But I have games like COD2 with 8%, Saints Row 2 36%.. game's that I rented, beat but didn't play MP.

Bieest Unit
04-03-2009, 03:52 PM
I play a game until I have enough of it. Later, when I'm bored, I'll put it back in to get the rest of the achievements I didn't collect yet. If they are gettable that is. If an achievement is too much work for me, I don't get it.

Boiled Frogs
04-03-2009, 03:59 PM
I play a game until I have enough of it. Later, when I'm bored, I'll put it back in to get the rest of the achievements I didn't collect yet. If they are gettable that is. If an achievement is too much work for me, I don't get it.

same here, except now I'm going for 100% completion rate, so am digging up all my old games and finishing them off, the only problem is Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic in GTA IV, I don't know what Im gonna do :(

mocca90
04-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Well... I'm just playing the game I like to play :P I was tried to make some strategy one time, but in few days I just went back to Gears 2 and play it again XD If game is as cool as Gears then I don't mind of achievements and just play for fun... And I won't ever get achievement if it's not worth my time - like shooting birds in GTA IV or even get 100k kills in GoW2... Anyway I tried to get that Seriously 2.0 one and I got 20k or smth like that but my save just disappear so at the moment I don't want to waste my time on it :P

bathori
04-03-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't have a strategy, I just play whatever I feel like playing at the time.

Flyn Dutchmn
04-03-2009, 05:07 PM
No strategy...I just go with the flow. I'll start playing a game, and decide from there what achievements I'm willing to spend time on.

budbon
04-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Two words game fly just signed up for it so my gamerscore will b moving up fast

DudeWithTheFace
04-03-2009, 05:12 PM
I work on many different games at once, easy ones, hard ones, whatever.

But I push rentals to the front (obviously) as well as games the boosting crew is working on atm that I fell I want to boost with them.

Tom115
04-03-2009, 05:20 PM
I don't have a strategy, I just play whatever I feel like playing at the time. Same here.

I don't actually care about my gamerscore really. I just like getting hard achievements or achievements not many people have, whatever amount of GS they're worth.

CienPR
04-03-2009, 05:26 PM
If a game has online achievements I tend to finish those off first and leave the SP for last, unless they are long/boring. I also play games for fun in between to keep me from getting bored like CoD 4 or BF:BC.

PHIL 421
04-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I rent games and try to get as much as I can in the 5 day window as I can. I go for all SP achievements then play online. My online time has been shaky at best so alot of my games I haven't even played online but I'll go back and get some of those missing achievements so I can at least get a 75% completion rating...

The Globalizer
04-03-2009, 06:07 PM
I play games for fun, but use gamerscore as an alternate way of having fun.

Generally, I like to play the games "as intended" until I max out all of the reasonable achievements, then I work to specifically hit the outlier cheevs.

But, I'm a relative newbie (just under 3 months), so I can pretty much play whatever I want and rack up GS. That said, I do like to throw in Tiger Woods 09 every now and then, even though I have my 1k.

Whitest Knight
04-03-2009, 10:41 PM
i generally just buy whatever game(s) i fell like playing. If i really like a game or it has easy gamerscore i will shoot for 1000. if a game has good multiplayer or has DLC on the way, i will Keep it. if it doesn't i trade it in at gamestop.

Tsaako
04-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Hmm as for a strategy i dont really have 1..ish.

But anyways, i'll play a game i like/love and i'll have 1 or 2 games on the side of xbox if i feel like getting achievements.

I sort of limit myself from playing 2-3 games at a time. Otherwise i'll never get achievements done. :p

As for my strat on getting a new game..well.. First I'll play through campaign and get those achievements, then i start working on other achievements on that game.

If that makes sense to you guys then great but that made sense to me. :p

Poida
04-04-2009, 12:27 AM
My general strategy is not trying to get achievements, just let them happen, usually when I try to unlock one I fail and get frustrated lol.

NightStryke
04-04-2009, 01:17 AM
At first I never bothered with achievements, I only cared about the multiplayer aspect of the game. My biggest problem is I never finish the game if it has multiplayer, now that I'm trying for the achievements I'm getting more out of my game then normal.

SaintKnight
04-04-2009, 01:50 AM
My strategy:

-Find a game that looks fun/good; don't care about how easy the achievements are
-Buy/Rent/Borrow/Gamefly it
-Beat the campaign first, getting all the story mode achievements in the process
-go back and get the rest of the single player achievements/get as much as I can
-Go on Live and have fun with the game/get achievements (non-boosted)

I go for gamerscore, but not necessarily completion, so if there is a game that is very fun but the achievements are a pain (looking at you, Tales of Vesperia), I'll get as much as I can.

Norman Coxwell
04-04-2009, 02:02 AM
Play what I want when i want and take it from there.

Pashos
04-04-2009, 02:26 AM
I try to only work on one game at a time because I know if I work on more than one then I will like one of them more than the other and then never go back to the bad one. I always try to get the full amount of points but there are some achievements that I don't bother going for.

I usually try to get all the single player achievements before the multiplayer ones (I don't know why, I just do) and then if I need a boosting partner then I move on to another game until they are online.

xI C0uch P0tat0
04-04-2009, 04:06 AM
Play games, get points. That's my strategy.

Mosizzle313
04-04-2009, 04:22 AM
i usually read the forums and stuff before i decide on a game i want to get gamerscore in. if it looks too challenging or something that i can only get 300 points in after a long period of time, i wont even bother with it. i've recently been playing each game pretty hard and earning at least 800 points before dropping it. getting my score up lately has not only been enjoyable but rewarding at the same time :p

Jagged 88
04-04-2009, 04:24 AM
I only go for achievements on games I really like now but in the past I used to play the game on the normal difficulty first to just play the story, then what ever achievements I never got I mopped the rest of them up the next time through on a harder difficulty. Not really a strategy I know, but thats how I done it.

CORPSE CRISIS
04-04-2009, 04:43 AM
I can honestly say that just have fun with the game i mean like really i can easily say that out of the 4 years that i have owned my xbox gamerscore is really just a waste of money. i see people that are behind me and and then next week there like 6000 ahead of me so i say whats the point of going for it anymore like honestly what does it acomplish?? i culd been a great gears player.. MLG even but since if spent too much time in the past getting AMPED when it says achievement unlocked on the screen. the game is not all about achievement i look at it in a different perspective like graphics, gameplay etc.. im fucking sick of all the people saying omg omg omg what are the achievements omg omg o,mg!! like just enjoy the game the way it was suppossed to be played.. just think about it ''WHAT ARE ACHIEVEMENTS GOING TO ACOMPLISH IN LIFE BECIDES BLOWING MONEY''

scarface
04-04-2009, 05:59 AM
- I go for the achievements that can be unlocked during campaign play.
- In between those and depending on the game, I'll go for the collection achievements.
- I'll then go for the online or any achievements that I know that I have a chance of being able to unlock them.
- Also check the achievement lists on here to decide whether the game will be to challenging achievement wise.

harry32
04-04-2009, 06:11 AM

thats exactly what i do for all the games i own, then on the side i have gamefly to get two other games to work on till i get bored of them and then send back for 2 more:)

PureTechniquex
04-04-2009, 07:52 AM
I have stop playing crap/easy games for the past month now & im no longer a Achievement Whore, i now just play the games i like rather than before where i just bought any game for the Achievements to boost my GS but now im at 46,800 im done with it all & now its all about the Fun side of video games, Shit i even changed my Gamer Zone from 'Pro' to 'Recreation'.

cheesyp00fs
04-04-2009, 08:50 AM
My strategy is to take it slow, one game at a time. Then you can enjoy the game and get the desirable amount of gamerscore you're looking for in the game.

The only exeption is when the game completely fails then i just try to get the most i can before i explode.

Pheonix_Assassin
04-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Some interesting ideas here =] personally i just play and thats it and after i finish the story i do achievements then XD

Jesper114
04-04-2009, 10:10 AM
i just play games i like. and some times i decide get every game on my list above 200+ then 300+ then 400+ and further, only i have some hard games to go up like DOA4 and NFS carbon. but my GS% = 82 so that's nice :P

WaitinToDrag
04-04-2009, 11:05 AM
I only buy/rent games I have interest in...regardless of acheivement diffuculty. Then, I try to get the full 1000g...if I don't...it feels like I haven't really "beaten" the game.

IMO....GS means nothing if you don't enjoy what you are doing.

SubG3nius
04-04-2009, 12:04 PM
I have stop playing crap/easy games for the past month now & im no longer a Achievement Whore, i now just play the games i like rather than before where i just bought any game for the Achievements to boost my GS.

Same here, but I have never bought shit like Avatar och King Kong to get easy 1000/1000, but still games that are pretty easy to get some GS that I never would bought unless it gave me some GS, I stoped played shit games long time ago, now I only play games that I'm interrested of and wan't to play :)

Contrah
04-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Ill buy a game, get as much GS as I can, then go back to it later.

BlaZiN cdn
04-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I usually play a game until I'm sick of it or I got the full points whichever comes first. If I get sick of it before I got the full points (which happens quite a bit) then I'll put it away and go back to it later.

Nerotic Shadows
04-04-2009, 10:16 PM
I just generally play the games I want to at the time. I mean, I do care about achievements and eveerything, but it won't affect me buying a game or not - e.g. the new Riddick game.

spankyNspronkle
04-04-2009, 10:29 PM
mines pretty simple... I have a gamefly account so when I get a new game, my focus is to 1000 that game or atleast come as close as i think i can. Then while its being sent back i have 5 days or so to play a game that i own. I try to go for the ones that I am closest to completing.

Deviant_Thug
04-04-2009, 10:53 PM
I like your way better as it seems more fun, but here goes. I go for offline achievements first, always, then the multiplayer ones. If I feel like playing a game one day and another the next, that's what I'll do. Sometimes I'll forget that I even own certain games, especially true for arcade titles.

ShinAkuma
04-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Playing and getting the achievements randomly :)

cincychaos
04-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I'll play through a game and get what I can from it while going back to previous games to unlock things that I missed along the way. Sometimes it's just what I feel like playing but there are some that I am working towards, like the 100 arcade wins in Marvel: UA and all the matches and kills in Perfect Dark.

Tishan Tom
04-05-2009, 12:57 PM
i usualy stay away from multiplayer (only so many times i can have my ass kicked before i learn that i suck at the game.)

go through single player mode without the achievement guide and if the game is a really good game with interesting story, graphics etc or i have around 55-100% completion ill just try to get the other offline ones unless i can actually play online.

VooDooPeteK
04-05-2009, 03:37 PM
I just play the game and go from there.

Some games I buy just for the achievements so when I start laying I lay out what order I will work for the achievements.

Others (Like Res Evil 5) I just play the game normally then once I have beat story mode I go back and work on any missed achievements.

dakisbac
04-05-2009, 04:13 PM
I play through the game once for fun then go for achievements afterwards. If there are collectibles along the way (Gears or Mirror's Edge) I'll usually get those in my first playthrough as well except in open world games (GTA, Saints Row)

I'm not much of an achievement whore anymore. Now I take my time on my games and I don't even play too often or for that long. Half the time I'm not even up to finishing a game, in which case I'll just go kick someone's ass in GH3

M85A21
04-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Mine is to get at the very least 1200GS a week.
Which is easy enough with my collection, but anything less and it's not worth it anything more and I could be wasting games. If you know what I mean.

GhOsT SLaYeR
04-06-2009, 02:17 AM
play the game till its boring then stop, go back to it later if im bored with all my games, if its boring again don't play it again.. lol

Bobafettjm
04-06-2009, 09:36 PM
I really just play the games like I would on any console first. I try to have fun and beat the games first. Then whenever there's some time when I don't feel like playing through a story or playing online COD I will check out my games and try to play and earn some achievements.