PDA

View Full Version : Can Microsoft trace who are using ebay achievement services?

JohnMcClane1984
04-05-2009, 09:49 PM
I am sure lots of you here are aware that these Gamerscore services are often cropping up on ebay now where people will either gamesave or maybe play the game and get you points you are having difficulty with.

Now I know Microsoft can brand people as cheaters who are obviously cheating by earning online achievements undated and offline for example and people so obviously gamesaving by earning 20-30,000 points a day for example but can they know people are using ebay services? or is it impossible to trace up? after all if questioned somebody could just say they recovered their account at a friends house.

Unfortaunately I know of a friend who uses an ebay service and somebody has got 1000Gs for him on Avatar and Tetris so is he likely to get a ban? I told him not to do it again because it could happen to him.

GuzzyMe
04-05-2009, 10:12 PM
I am sure lots of you here are aware that these Gamerscore services are often cropping up on ebay now where people will either gamesave or maybe play the game and get you points you are having difficulty with.

Now I know Microsoft can brand people as cheaters who are obviously cheating by earning online achievements undated and offline for example and people so obviously gamesaving by earning 20-30,000 points a day for example but can they know people are using ebay services? or is it impossible to trace up? after all if questioned somebody could just say they recovered their account at a friends house.

Unfortaunately I know of a friend who uses an ebay service and somebody has got 1000Gs for him on Avatar and Tetris so is he likely to get a ban? I told him not to do it again because it could happen to him.

Yes they can.

Killer66250
04-05-2009, 10:33 PM
No they can't. Yes they can see where it was recovered and what they did. (Achievements etc) but they have no way of knowing that you bought the service over Ebay.

gatorbait
04-05-2009, 10:37 PM

Your friend seriously had to pay someone to get achievements for him in Avatar?

Jesper114
04-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Unfortaunately I know of a friend who uses an ebay service and somebody has got 1000Gs for him on Avatar and Tetris.

pay some one to get avatar achievements wow that takes like 2 minutes

but they can trace him down, but i think they won't.

Boiled Frogs
04-05-2009, 10:51 PM
id pay them to do auf wiedersehen petrovic for me, then laugh when they come crawling back saying here have a refund just no more!

Slow2die
04-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Lol Paying for Avatar Achievements. That gave me a few lol's :)

JohnMcClane1984
04-05-2009, 10:59 PM
I know lol its just because he couldnt find any retail/rental copies anywhere and so thats why he got it done on ebay for 1 and he was having trouble on Tetris Evolution.

The reason I asked the question was that lots of people seem to give conflicting answers as to whether Microsoft can trace who is using ebay services or not? If not then lots of people will continuosly cheat and never be punished.

CyanideBreathMint
04-05-2009, 11:28 PM
I'd be more concerned about account theft than him foolishly (and willingly) allowing a complete stranger access to his XBL account to play games for him. Karma. She's a right bitch, she is.

Exhausted Dad
04-05-2009, 11:36 PM
What kind of grimey bastard buys achievements? I wish they could trace them. Times like these is when we need a smiley with a hand making an L on its forehead. LOSERS=buy achievements.

Tufty
03-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Even if Microsoft don't take action they'll get what's coming to them. If the achievements aren't achieved legit, by legit I mean not gamesaved/modded, they'll get caught. If they don't get caught someone will start stealing their accounts.

ferrara316
03-17-2010, 06:53 PM
I could care less if Microsoft can't punish someone for that. The fact that you pay someone to get you achievements is insulting enough.

AngelsDontKill
03-17-2010, 07:01 PM
i mean if you have to buy your achivo's how are you even a gamer at that point, its about skill, not money.

Infection Ftw
03-17-2010, 07:04 PM
And you would just trust your gamertag with MSP on it as well maby creditcard stuff to a stranger? You need to be a moron to do that=/

MachineZed
03-17-2010, 08:18 PM
I would say they need more proof that he actually cheated, than 2 games, with 0 online achievements. I am not saying it isn't right, but they need more than that.

TDC333
03-17-2010, 09:04 PM
That would be like you paying your friend to get you achievements at their house. Can they trace that you gave your friend money to get you some achievements? Yes, yes they can because Microsoft is Big Brother and knows all. They have spies everywhere and they are coming to get you. Board up your doors and windows, buy food and water, stock up on ammo because they will hunt you down and ban your Gamertag from everything XBox related or not.

If you believe that then you need to check yourself into an institution because you have serious paranoia problems or stop using the ever so popular paranoia plant.

VladimirK
03-17-2010, 11:17 PM
One thing that folk are forgetting is the possibilty that it's just gamesaved rather than earned at all.

Which can be found, but not too easily I don't think if it's a few thousand rather than like 30k.

maxpwns
03-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Technically what he's doing isn't really considered cheating because there is no way to prove it unless he prints out the transaction and waves it in microsofts face, they can't trace him because that would be illegal. Only the government can trace people over the Internet through their ISP if they have suspicion of them committing a crime, there's some act that my business law teacher talked about but I can't remember it

Canis Lupus
03-18-2010, 12:40 AM
I think they would be able to "trace" it. Not per the usual way though. Like you said, one could argue that he recovered his profile at a mates. The only "hole" I see there is that the seller is advertising this "service" and your mate wouldn't be the only person who would have bought this service and MS would realise that the sellers Xbox ID has recovered 100's of profiles over a few months.

Provable no, your mate probably will be fine (unless the methods to get the achievements wasn't right, game saving ect.)
My guess is that the seller needs to worry more about his Xbox than his "clients"

Still...paying for achievements...no comment :)

mickspawn
03-18-2010, 12:52 AM
why on earth would people pay money to get gamerscore..

dakisbac
03-18-2010, 01:12 AM
They can tell that the account has been recovered, but achievements earned after a recovery don't imply account trading.

AdamArmy
03-18-2010, 02:53 AM
Achievement Unlocked -1000 G Payed someone to get you gamerscore

Sampson
03-18-2010, 03:21 AM
They can't trace it to eBay but they will ban you.

RuYi
03-18-2010, 08:36 AM
I wasn't aware of these services. Always figured games were for fun, but apparently there are people that are willing to pay others to play games for them. So maybe I was wrong, and gaming is serious business after all..