PDA

View Full Version : GH:M worth $60

pyrojake
04-05-2009, 11:22 PM
I think metalica is a great band, but is the game worth $60? I had originally planned to buy it the day of its release, but I don't necessarily have the money for it... so i planned on waiting till it went down to like $40 or something...

Bassani
04-05-2009, 11:32 PM
That is something only you are going to be able to decide. IMO, I say yes just cuz its Tallica. You may not like the interface or other bands in the game or whatever, so because I say its worth it, others may say never a chance in hell, so really, its your decision...

xXthefragileXx
04-05-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm doing the same thing, but I may even wait for it to drop lower than that. I've played the full version at Game Stop, and while I absolutely love the song selection, I can't stand what Activision did to the GH series.. mainly how they chart songs. I play guitar/bass and learned to play a LOT of Metallica songs (from the official books and by ear) and there were several songs I played that Activision decided either didn't have enough notes in one part and over charted, or felt certain notes in a section weren't good enough to chart. Then the little things like the way they chart scales. If the notes go from a low -> high -> middle, the charting, IMO, shouldn't go green -> yellow -> blue.. just doesn't feel right.

I like the game, but I can't bring myself to shell out $60 for a game I feel is somewhat broken. Price drop = me buying it

Bassani
04-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Just so you know, its not Activision who does the charting. They are the publisher of the game, not the developer. The developer is Neversoft I do believe...

Dack124
04-05-2009, 11:45 PM
I just bought it because I love metallica and the guitar hero/rock band games.

TA Sasuke
04-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Just so you know, its not Activision who does the charting. They are the publisher of the game, not the developer. The developer is Neversoft I do believe...

Yep yep yep. Just like when people blame EA for making a bad game. They don't make games, they publish them. Same with Activision.

ReckoningDayX
04-05-2009, 11:52 PM
I love Metallica by all means and I will play the hell out of this game, but I am really regretting spending $60 on it. Also sucks there will be no DLC for this game. Not that big of a song selection.

Lucent Beam
04-06-2009, 02:24 AM
I think it's worth it. I think it's a better game than GH:WT because of the song selection.

Bl°°dwolf
04-06-2009, 02:25 AM
I think it's worth it. I think it's a better game than GH:WT because of the song selection.

and the fact that while the vocals still are lame, they are a lot less lame than GHWT's.

Starz 007
04-06-2009, 04:12 AM
It's on sale at Amazon for 20% off. I think it's a good game, and it has a great song selection, but $60 was a little much for only 50ish songs.

It's a way better value than Guitar Hero Aerosmith was!

good ol boy366
04-06-2009, 04:20 AM
$60 was a little much for only 50ish songs.

i don't think so considering that downloading a song via dlc is usually $2. 60 bucks is actually a really good deal.

anyways, i definitely think it was worth a buy...but i traded in a few games that ended up covering the entire price, so if you can do that then i suggest you go for it.

pyrojake
04-06-2009, 04:43 AM
kk, I decided to just rent it to see whether or not i will buy it...

i figure if i can knock out all the achievements before they start calling me from blockbusters to return it (no late fee's but after a month they start to get pissed off)

If i can't get all the achievements by then or if i think its just awesome, i'll buy it :)

N-Forced
04-06-2009, 05:44 AM
its a fun game and waaaay better then the pos they call world tour, but is it worth $60? i'd have to say no, mainly because it's world tour with some new songs and a fresh coat of paint. if the game drops $20 then i'd say it's a deff buy especially if you like metal music. that machine head track is especially badass.

Lucent Beam
04-06-2009, 12:21 PM
i don't think so considering that downloading a song via dlc is usually $2. 60 bucks is actually a really good deal..

Yeah, exactly. And there are really only 1 or 2 songs I have played that I haven't liked... but still it's a good deal for all the rest that I do like and probably would have bought as DLC.

Krisko Disko
04-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Personally, I just added it to my GameFly queue. I'll probably play it for a couple weeks, maybe up to a month. But after that I can't see myself wanting to play a mostly Metallica catalog enough to purchase the game. I guess it just depends on how much you like Metallica.

Starz 007
04-06-2009, 02:01 PM
i don't think so considering that downloading a song via dlc is usually $2. 60 bucks is actually a really good deal.

anyways, i definitely think it was worth a buy...but i traded in a few games that ended up covering the entire price, so if you can do that then i suggest you go for it.

I think comparing on-disc songs to DLC is like comparing apples and oranges. I buy plenty of DLC at $2/song, but when I buy a disc of songs I expect better value.

Other discs have 80+songs, making them a much better overall value than a game with 50 songs.

good ol boy366
04-06-2009, 11:04 PM
I think comparing on-disc songs to DLC is like comparing apples and oranges. I buy plenty of DLC at $2/song, but when I buy a disc of songs I expect better value.

Other discs have 80+songs, making them a much better overall value than a game with 50 songs.

well, when it comes to price, the only thing we can compare it to is the price of dlc...but i understand, you wanted more songs on the disc, and who wouldn't?

however, since this game is just supposed to be a spin-off (much like rock the 80's and aerosmith) and not a standalone game like wt or 3, i think that it is definitely the best value so far for a spinoff...i mean, it's metallica and all the other bands are pretty top-notch as well (and they've progressively been getting better with the number of songs per spin-off: 30 songs on gh:80's, 41 on gh:a, and now 49 on this one).

ideally, around 60 songs would be the perfect number for me...considering you get 1000gs as well and the option to re-sell the disc to regain some of your money if need be. also, i'd much rather have 50-60 songs on a disc that are really good and that i'll love to play over and over again instead of 80+ mediocre songs (granted, this is in the ear of the beholder) on a disc with half of which i'll never play....so, yeah i still think gh:m is worth the money.

Midnight Malice
04-06-2009, 11:21 PM
About the charting of the game.... you have 5 buttons that are supposed to represent 30 frets... yeah, good luck. The only thing that can be somewhat realistic is the drum charting.

BTW, if you are tired of all the bubblegum pop crap in most other Music games, yeah this is definately the best so far. There are only 2 tracks in the game out of 60 that I don't like. It is a must buy if you like heavy music.

Bl°°dwolf
04-07-2009, 01:22 AM
About the charting of the game.... you have 5 buttons that are supposed to represent 30 frets... yeah, good luck.

From a discussion on the matter in the RB2 forum:

Standard classical guitars have 19 frets and electric guitars between 21 to 24 frets (though Ibanez has issued guitars with as many as 36 frets.)"

-Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar

Standard classical guitar = 114 fret positions
Electric guitars = 126 to 144 fret positions
Ibanez = as many as 216 fret positions

Also, as I pointed out in the same thread, there are only 25 different possible combinations of fret buttons (1, 2 or 3 buttons depressed at one time) available on the guitar controller.

There's only so much one can do with charting to keep it 'accurate', and of course they want to keep it playable, even enjoyable across as wide a variety of skill levels as possible to keep as many happy as possible. You will always have a tendency to annoy or even alienate those people who are at the extremes of the curve.

Just enjoy it as it is. A good game. ;)

o0 TommyGuns 0o
04-07-2009, 02:29 AM
i think its worth it the songs are fun to play even if u dont like metallica id say its better then metallica

ILL BallistX
04-07-2009, 02:37 AM
I passed on this game.

I played the demo & maybe i`m just used to the sharp & clear colors that RockBand2 uses but I find this game with it`s many multiple colors extremely hard to read especially on the drums. If I could get all these songs in RockBand2 as one of those Track Pack games I would buy it. I can`t stand the GH interface anymore.

I think it`s not worth $70 CAD to buy, i`ll rent it when my blockbuster gets it in, same as I did with with Aerosmith:GH