PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on creating an ultimate team

Bolooen
04-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi everyone. I'm enjoying this game even though I really suck at playing it. I'm still early in, but I love the card part trading and collecting part. I'm having a lot of trouble with the ultimate team aspect though. I occassionally watch the Major League Soccer team Chicago Fire, but I'm by no means an expert in any part of soccer, like formations, player positions, etc. So, when I try to work on my ultimate team, I feel really overwhelmed. The tutorial says to match players for increasing team cohesion (I think it was called), including matching country, formation, etc. From four bronze packs I got a lot of Italy players. so, my team has mostly them. But is matching formation better? Or even what a good formation is? lol In my last pack, I suddenly got a player with DM position, which I never saw before. I'm not even sure where he goes in the lineup. I tried playing with my ultimate team that I created the first time and found that even with the regular play, the contracts go down. So, I'm afraid to experiment too much and lose the players to contract expiration until I can figure this all out. Anyone know of a place besides a techinical soccer manual that helps make the whole soccer thing make sense? Thanks.

GLOCKGLOCK
04-06-2009, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about team chemistry in building your Ultimate team. It gives you a boost, but it can't make up for simply getting better players. You start out with all bronze players (under 69 ratings). You want to go out to the online section and search for Gold (80+ ratings) and Silver (70-79 ratings) cards. The cheapest you can get gold cards is 200 credits, you can get silver cards for 100 credits. You should be able to find some cheap cards to improve your team quickly. Also when you are browsing cards move the R stick to the right until it shows how long the contracts for the players are. With some luck and searching you can probably score some gold/silver players for the minimum cost. Possibly they will have contracts of 10+ games too if they were owned by someone in the past and boosted with a contract card. I do not recommend buying card packs to start. Even though they are cheap you do not get alot of help from them. Often you get a bunch of rubbish cards like team boosts, badges, uniforms, etc instead of players.

As for formations, just stick with the base 4-4-2 (4 defenders, 4 midfielders, 2 forwards) to start. You want to make sure the center of your team has the best players so if you can get 2 good forwards that is a great start. Get 2 good midfielders and put them in the two center midfields positions of your team. If you can afford it get 2 good defenders and do the same with them (put them in the middle defensive positions). In the first tier of games you will be playing very low rated teams so simply matching up gold and silver players in the middle of your lineup against them will give you a big advantage.

As for contracts, that is always an issue with your ultimate team. First off you want to make sure you win every ultimate team game because you get 3 points for a win and only 1 for a tie. You will move up the ranks alot quicker if you win each game and you will use your players less as well so their contracts will last longer. If you are going to lose a game or draw it, just restart the game. Do not use your ultimate team for "kick-off" games. If you need credits just play as Manchester United against Levski in kick off, or play as Man U in a UEFA champions league tournament.

Also the position DM is a defensive midfielder. Only some of the formations include this position. But you can just use that player in any of the midfield slots in the base 4-4-2 formation or even in one of the defensive positions. It is not all that important to match players with positions, but you do want to make sure you have ST, CF, RF & LF playing forward for you as they are better shooters and will help you score more often.

Hope this info helps.

Bolooen
04-07-2009, 01:10 AM
Sweet, thank you.