PDA

View Full Version : Comment System Flawed

SengIV
04-06-2009, 08:12 PM
I love the comment system. It gives me something to look at during class. But the comment system is flawed. It started off great. It was a great idea, it still is. But it seems that is being abused.

The comment system started out with all the 'First!' posts. That is really retarded and was stopped when The Pants Party started giving out infractions.

This saved the comment system, it really did. But with comments being enabled on everything something else had to come up.

Well it seems that no matter what the news post is, whether its a new Halo game or achievements for Hannah Montana. Someone has something to say, bad.

Everyone bitches on the comments. A new Halo game, so fanboys say its awesome. Others go on there and bitch about the new game.

Today with the release of news about Fable II's new update saying that the achievement will be fixed for the Pub Games thing, bitching occured. Why? This is great news. But no, somebody finds something to bitch about.

It gets really old when no matter the news topic there is bitching going on. It has turned me off from the system now. It is a sad thing, it had great potiental.

The Hannah Montana comments were filled with sexual comments. That is just disgusting, let alone illegal in most places. She is 15 years old and you are talking about having sex with her because her game's achievement were released?

This kind of thing really is disgusting. With all the bitching and the comments like above I dont see how this is helping the site. People are way to negative. Microsoft releases Deals of the Week. They are cutting prices! Microsoft and prices being cut! But what happens? People bitch about what is being cut down. You know that isnt required so why bitch about it?

Sorry for ranting but what was once great has fallen from grace.

SengIV

BooseyGirl
04-06-2009, 08:57 PM
I somewhat agree with you, but you can't monitor everyone because everyone at some point has something to say, whether it's negative or not, and they will post it. Thankfully the Adminstrators do an awesome job and take down as much offensive material as they can to try and keep the comments and forums clean of trash. I think we should maybe start filtering the comments and everyone using better judgement in their words and thoughts on the site, but alas, people will be people.

SengIV
04-06-2009, 09:04 PM
I somewhat agree with you, but you can't monitor everyone because everyone at some point has something to say, whether it's negative or not, and they will post it. Thankfully the Adminstrators do an awesome job and take down as much offensive material as they can to try and keep the comments and forums clean of trash. I think we should maybe start filtering the comments and everyone using better judgement in their words and thoughts on the site, but alas, people will be people.

I know where you are coming from. But the Fable II comments is what did it for me today. Seriously that is great news they are adressing this problem and people bitch about it.

gatorbait
04-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Good or bad, everyone is open to their comments/opinions. I don't bother too much with reading and posting comments so I guess it probably doesn't affect me as much. People do get carried away with complaining a lot and just making negative comments but there isn't too much to do in regards to monitoring it. As long as there are no crude remarks, then it's all fair game. If people enjoy spending their time complaining then go ahead and let them. You and I may not understand it but as long as it's what they enjoy doing I guess.

The Pants Party
04-06-2009, 09:53 PM
And if you had agreed with their "bitching" would this post even exist? Probably not.

Everyone has an opinion and we allow people to voice them, no matter how idiotic those opinions might be. In this instance, everyone would have much rather had the achievement months ago when the game was released, rather than a band-aid now. I see their point, and I see yours in just wishing people would be grateful Lionhead bothered to fix the issue at all, something some companies wouldn't do. But again, we're not going to try and control how people react to our news or achievements.

Obviously the Hannah/Miley business was a bit low-class and if I had actually looked at that game's comments I may have just closed them off, but I never knew there was an issue there.

SengIV
04-06-2009, 10:45 PM
And if you had agreed with their "bitching" would this post even exist? Probably not.

Everyone has an opinion and we allow people to voice them, no matter how idiotic those opinions might be. In this instance, everyone would have much rather had the achievement months ago when the game was released, rather than a band-aid now. I see their point, and I see yours in just wishing people would be grateful Lionhead bothered to fix the issue at all, something some companies wouldn't do. But again, we're not going to try and control how people react to our news or achievements.

Obviously the Hannah/Miley business was a bit low-class and if I had actually looked at that game's comments I may have just closed them off, but I never knew there was an issue there.

Yeah the Hannah stuff made me sick. I understand that everyone has their opinions but it seems everyone is negative. Oh well. Just wanted to see everyone views.

Ry Fryy
04-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Another problem with the comment system is the fact that a " < " in the post will end it. Anything written after it will not show up. How about fixing that. Seems rather odd..

PHIL 421
04-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah the Hannah stuff made me sick. I understand that everyone has their opinions but it seems everyone is negative. Oh well. Just wanted to see everyone views. You could offer $ for every positive post/comment and people would still bitch. It's the nature of idiots.

Ingles
04-08-2009, 06:12 PM
You could offer $ for every positive post/comment and people would still bitch. It's the nature of idiots.

True... It's unfortunately the world we live in.

Tiberian
04-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I agree that everyone has a right to state their own opinion. Not everyone is going to find (for example) Halo news exciting and so comments won't always be positive. That being said, i do think theres a line between posting an opinion and posting something vulgar. What the comment system needs is an option to report the post, similar to how you can report posts in the forum, that way they can be removed without admins/or moderators having to monitor it all the time.

InkedUp
04-08-2009, 07:13 PM
People are always gonna have conflicting opinions, you can't change that. Some people just need to convey that opinion in a more thought out way instead of coming into a discussion and starting of cussing and using other offensive language or remarks.