PDA

View Full Version : Less is more?

xvx Tiger xvx
04-07-2009, 11:53 AM
So I finally get around to having a proper play of OrangeBox after not touching it for a while, and it got me thinking, lots of small value achievements is pretty cool.

I think the satisfaction for me is seeing and hearing them pop, rather than the actual value of each one.

I know everyone on here wants to build up their points, but getting them for more things while doing so has to be good, right?

So, where does everyone else stand on this?

GreaseMonkeyGB
04-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Im with you man!

I couldn't care less what my gamerscore is or how many achieves i have, there just numbers. Yh i have 1000g on this and that but do you think im really that bothered? no.

The pop-up sound is all i need to know a good time well spent ;)

Waggaz
04-07-2009, 11:59 AM
lol it is a cool sound =]

Simzo
04-07-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm with you dude, i love watching them pop-up on screen and hearing that noise, it's great. But i do like getting a higher gamerscore as well.. I think getting achievements would mean nothing to me with it coming up and screen and the bleep noise. It wouldn't give me the satisfaction that it does now..

slackydave
04-07-2009, 12:09 PM
totally agree, i think games should have several large gamerscore rewards though. I wouldnt want to play game after game that have a shed of achievements that are only worth 5g each. The odd 40-50gs reward is awesome. E.g on Dirt i completed a 30 race championship and got 60gs, well earnt if you asked me.

Slow2die
04-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Why don't we all mess around and find the sound files and change them so we can have "CONGRATZ MAN, YEE GOT ANOTHER ONE" play everytime we gain an achievement. Id be much more of a Gamerscore whore then. :P

cincychaos
04-07-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm with you guys on this one, it's awesome to hear the noise and see that I just got an achievement, but it's nice every now and then to get some big point values for the completion of the game or some other intensive goal.

limination
04-07-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm with you guys on this one, it's awesome to hear the noise and see that I just got an achievement, but it's nice every now and then to get some big point values for the completion of the game or some other intensive goal.

Exactly how I feel

mediatedgravy
04-07-2009, 04:13 PM
love that noise, but they need to change the pop up noise for when a friend comes on line. it gets my hopes up lol

Boggled
04-07-2009, 04:47 PM
love that noise, but they need to change the pop up noise for when a friend comes on line. it gets my hopes up lol

Thats exactly what I do haha...

eskEMO
04-07-2009, 06:05 PM
I concur. It was sort of sad watching 20% of Bioshock's score (It's possible to get 300 points in one ding) get demolished in one achievement ding at the end of the game.

The little ones keep me going through stories at slow points. :)

WaitinToDrag
04-07-2009, 06:09 PM

especially when you are working towards an acheevo and expecting it to pop up....but get nothing but disapointment

InkedUp
04-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Gotta love that sound. I like getting little ones that build up to bigger ones when you finish the game, like 25gs per level and then a big 150gs when you beat the game. I also wish they would tweak the friends online sound a little. I'll be playing a game and hear that sound and be like "oh yeah another achieveme...oh no just a friend coming on line, son of a b*tch" and it can be disappointing.

EOU Findub
04-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Gotta love that sound. I like getting little ones that build up to bigger ones when you finish the game, like 25gs per level and then a big 150gs when you beat the game. I also wish they would tweak the friends online sound a little. I'll be playing a game and hear that sound and be like "oh yeah another achieveme...oh no just a friend coming on line, son of a b*tch" and it can be disappointing.

Whats worse is when you are expecting an achievement to pop at any time and then one of your stupid friends come online. That has happened one too many times. :)

DudeWithTheFace
04-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Whats worse is when you are expecting an achievement to pop at any time and then one of your stupid friends come online. That has happened one too many times. :)

That happens all the time and drives me nuts as well.

Another I prefer is when you finish a game I like it to keep on popping the achievements for a good 30 seconds or so in stead of "7 for 220G" or whatever it sometimes does, totally ruining much of the glory from those haha.

Gumby™
04-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Ah yes, I completely agree. For me, it's more the feeling of accomplishment than the points. I also agree with DudeWithTheFace that it would be gratifying to get like a long strand of achievements. :P

Tussell
04-07-2009, 09:20 PM
I wasn't in The Orange Box for achievements. It was strictly for fun, and I had a hell of a ride playing through it! I still do!

The only game I can think of where's it like that is The Orange Box, and as I mentioned, I wasn't going for achievements. So I guess I'm missing out on the Less is More thing.

spinflux
04-08-2009, 02:11 AM
..I like it to keep on popping the achievements for a good 30 seconds or so in stead of "7 for 220G" or whatever it sometimes does, totally ruining much of the glory from those haha.
does make you feel a bit robbed sometimes doesn't it :p

Kaiyo
04-08-2009, 02:50 AM
Yes in the normal sense but I'm in for the achievements. I usually hear that sound too often when i get invites, messages and other stuff that make the noise but hearing it when an achievement is unlocked - pleasure to my ears.

perpetualshades
04-08-2009, 05:17 AM
I concur. It was sort of sad watching 20% of Bioshock's score (It's possible to get 300 points in one ding) get demolished in one achievement ding at the end of the game.

YES. getting "brass balls" and "seriously good at this" condensed into a single popup was so disheartening.

EmptyApartment
04-08-2009, 05:20 AM
damn this reminds me i really half the pick up the orange box...i hear so many good things and now thats its only $20 i really should...thanks for teh reminder!

kyosh1ro
04-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Definitely agree with many of the things on this post, especially changing the sounds for friends coming online and other notifications.

EmptyApartment: With the Orange Box at $20 it is difficult to find a better value. Half-Life 2 is an incredibly epic game and you get Episodes 1 and 2 as well. Team Fortress 2 is a fast-paced, class-based multiplayer shooter with tons of replay value and an awesome art style. Then there is the gem known as Portal..simply an revolutionary puzzle game that will engage your brain as well as your sense of humor. Don't think about it anymore..pick it up!!

phobzy85
04-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I recorded it and made it my new sleep song

YouTube Freak
04-08-2009, 12:22 PM
So I finally get around to having a proper play of OrangeBox after not touching it for a while, and it got me thinking, lots of small value achievements is pretty cool.

I think the satisfaction for me is seeing and hearing them pop, rather than the actual value of each one.

I know everyone on here wants to build up their points, but getting them for more things while doing so has to be good, right?

So, where does everyone else stand on this?

Yeah, it would be awesome, when there would be like 75- 100 achievements in every game. :)

kevinbeck12713
04-08-2009, 03:52 PM
My favorite achievements are ones that are 40g. That's the perfect number. Its high-ish, makes your effort look rewarded, and its not too high as to not make you think the game just put it there because they didn't feel like making REAL achievements (Looking at you Avatar....)

PHIL 421
04-08-2009, 03:56 PM
The sound is great the only problem with it is when your working on an achievement and a friend hops online and you get pissed at the fact that it wasn't the achievement.