Impressions?

cbssi

So, guys, what are your impressions of the Versus DLC? I haven't seen a thread devoted to that, yet, so let's make one. My impressions were that its fun. Plain and simple. It's fun, but also mediocre. First thing I noticed was lack of team chat (everyone talked to each other), which really screws up strategizing. Second thing I noticed is that most maps are trash. Third thing I noticed is that lag makes it impossible to snipe other players. I also noticed that the Majini start to get really annoying, that it's pretty annoying to have to stop and shoot (realistic, for the sake of it; but still annoying), and that 95% of the time, the team who first sticks together, then spots the enemy, then opens and focuses fire will win regardless of weapon selection (unless there is Majini interference). The fact that the losing team/party gets a 50% point gain increase, coupled with the fact that if you even get hit by one bullet, you lose points and the opposing team gains them, is pretty annoying. Matches consist of this: go back and forth until one team gets a major lead; then, fight over that major lead. It's pretty impossible to "tie" all the way up the scoring scale, as teams basically steal each others points.

Pros

- Genuinely fun

- Just as gorgeous as the story mode

- Characters have a good variety of finishing moves

- Majini add a pacing factor like none other

- Great value for pricing

Cons

- Connecting is a pain in the ass

- No team chat

- Same map selection as Mercenaries had

- Same character selection as Mercenaries had

- Majini start to get thick, and therefore annoying, toward the end of every match

- Annoying to turn around, gain some ground, reload, turn around again, take aim, fire, turn around, gain some ground, reload, etc, etc.

- Lag ruins sniping (or any mid-distance shooting, for that matter)

- Teams "stealing" points from each other instead of constantly accumulating them makes it difficult to gain a big lead

If this were 800 MSP like most DLC, I would advise against it. However, that is not the case; this is 400 MSP. 400 MSP, in short, is extremely good value for this pack. It may be mediocre in many ways, but it is genuinely fun. It will provide hours of entertainment, and I'm sure it will go down in history as a very underrated multiplayer. Still not sure about purchasing it? Consider this... If you have the game and enjoy Mercenaries, then this is a must-have. This is like Mercenaries, except with other players added, which adds to the chaos. It's great. For the record, too, if you've played Mercenaries extensively, then you already know what to expect to be mediocre from this pack; Mercenaries and Versus bear almost the exactly same mediocre features, with Versus having just a few more. Still, if you've bought the game, thought the story mode was meh, and didn't think too much of Mercenaries, then save your 400 MSP.