PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live Storefront @Amazon

Khalus Akuhei
04-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Rather nifty and very welcoming as I don't like to deal with those annoying MS points that are odd amounts and always make ya spend more than ya really need! Appears I'll be more interested in getting XBL games now...yatta!

XBox Live Storefront @Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/b/?node=979417011) ~ Launched Today for *USA Only* atm it appears!

Gamers can now purchase Xbox Live subscriptions, points, and Arcade games instantly via Amazon's new service.

After making major strides in the delivery of downloadable goods and, more recently, the used games business (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173106), Amazon is now expanding their digitally distributed offerings to include Xbox Live Arcade games. By accessing the new Xbox Live storefront (http://www.amazon.com/b/?node=979417011) on Amazon's website, customers can purchase codes to add Microsoft points or subscription time to their Live accounts, as well as unlock keys for downloading a selection of about 100 full XBLA games -- all of which are emailed directly to the buyer.

Why would any Xbox Live member use this service when they can already do most of the above from their console? For one, buying XBLA games via Amazon means you don't have to deal with Microsoft points -- a five dollar game is a five dollar game, and you shouldn't find yourself stuck buying more points than you need. Secondly, your payment options on Amazon are a lot more flexible than if you're just buying things through the Xbox Live Marketplace. On top of all that, the points and games purchased from Amazon's Xbox Live store can be gifted to other players.

Perhaps most exciting -- and this is purely speculative at this point -- is the potential that this could open up the door for Amazon-exclusive deals on these downloadable games. Considering the number of videogame price cuts and sales featured on Amazon in the past, we wouldn't put it past them to let loose with an XBLA bargain here or there.

VAPF
04-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Do you know if this service will work for us lowly folk in the UK?

eskEMO
04-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Unlikely, unless the UK site has it. :(

Khalus Akuhei
04-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Not able to locate a page for this on their UK site, but you can always try and see...its just a code they send ya that ya input into your XBL account! I dunno why there would be any kind of region lockout for a digital purchase/download!

VAPF
04-08-2009, 04:15 PM
I should imagine there will be a lock out because of the price difference between $ to MSP and to MSP.

Oh well, just add that to list as well as Netflix LOL

Khalus Akuhei
04-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Yeah I can only find Point Cards on the UK site for ya all. Well think of it this way...the US are the guinea pigs for this new method and if it does well over here it'll launch in the UK also.

Could also be that the US site was first to launch and a UK version is being built and set up for launch soon.

VAPF
04-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Yeah I can only find Point Cards on the UK site for ya all. Well think of it this way...the US are the guinea pigs for this new method and if it does well over here it'll launch in the UK also.

Could also be that the US site was first to launch and a UK version is being built and set up for launch soon.

I like your optimism but its unlikely lol

It would be nice if I could pay MSoft directly for points without having to use a creditcard or the prepaid cards. I'll have to twitter @ major nelson and see if he'll change it just for me :P

InkedUp
04-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Wow Amazon is one smart cookie. This will be so much better than having to buy more points than you need, now you can pay the exact amount for the arcade game you want

ITD Soldierboy
04-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Just purchased Worms. I've been meaning to, but I didn't want to add the points. This is great. Now if only they would have all the Arcade Games available.

Jdm
04-08-2009, 05:59 PM
I noticed this around midnight when I was checking for the Deal of the Day. I think it's a fantastic idea! Now you can give away XBLA games as gifts if you please, but then again you could always just give MSPs away as well.:p

Khalus Akuhei
04-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Just purchased Worms. I've been meaning to, but I didn't want to add the points. This is great. Now if only they would have all the Arcade Games available.

Oh I'm sure they will...this just opened and will get populated with everything eventually.

I'm looking forward to Amazon and their deals they like to do often....so we may be able to get many of these games cheaper than they are listed on XBL...hehe

Wii187
04-08-2009, 07:09 PM
I like not worrying about MS points. Hopefully Amazon will have their own deals on Live games.

gamerguy69
04-09-2009, 12:50 AM
I highly doubt there will be any sort of "Amazon" sales at this storefront since it is still essentially owned by MS and they are setting the prices.

I purchased 1000 points last week. 800 for the CoD: WaW map pack and 200 for a Pinball FX table. Exact change. :)

I still have 40 left over points from a couple of years ago.

EmptyApartment
04-09-2009, 05:49 AM
seen major nelsons tweet about this early 2day, thanks for the complete info sounded interesting but yeah very cool i think more options to buy the better

gamerguy69
04-12-2009, 08:28 AM
I highly doubt there will be any sort of "Amazon" sales at this storefront since it is still essentially owned by MS and they are setting the prices.

I purchased 1000 points last week. 800 for the CoD: WaW map pack and 200 for a Pinball FX table. Exact change. :)

I still have 40 left over points from a couple of years ago.

I shall admit I was wrong. :)

The Amazon storefront now has Galaga Legions for 50% off what you can buy it through the Xbox dashboard.

$4.97 [Online game code] as opposed to 800 MS points!