PDA

View Full Version : A Slight Aggravation: Color-blindness

oimperialsalsao
04-08-2009, 09:32 PM
I have been thinking about this a bit more since The Godfather II came out and my inability to choose matching colors for my character's outfits or my family's outfits for that matter. See I am color-blind, well color ignorant i guess you could say. I cant tell between my reds, yellows, blues, etc.

While I find this to be a nit-pick, I almost feel like the men, and some women, are being left out because the programmer decided to leave out the name of the color.

EA isn't the only company guilty of this action; however, much of their games can be void of any identification of color what so ever; however, I do feel this really to be an non-issue.

Does it allow me to play the game better? No.... no it doesn't
Does it allow me to enjoy the game a little more? Definitely yes.

When I cant make a football team's color match on Madden, one of my favorite sports games, I feel left out; but I digress.

I ask you, to the general community, does anyone else have this issue?
If so do you feel left out such as I do?

I could go further and ask does anyone else have the issue of identifying items, enemies, objections of any Xbox 360 game due to the colors.

Please dont let me be the only one :(

xvx Tiger xvx
04-08-2009, 10:32 PM
While I don't suffer from this, I can understand how much of a pain it must be.
Hardly any games seem to allow for this or provide options.
Don't worry though Man, you won't be alone in this.
Must be quite a few people on here I'm sure.

VAPF
04-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Maybe you should right to the devs. It probably never even occured to them!

Violet Grim
04-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Sorry mate, I'm pretty sure I see my colours in full spectrum so I can't imagine what a headfuck that must be for you. Damn...

Pardon my ignorance, but what does video game blood look like to a colour blind person? What I mean is, what does the red look like to you? I've always been curious about that.

oimperialsalsao
04-09-2009, 02:46 AM
Well for me, it looks like red-blood. Now there are worse extreme color-blindness than what I have. I cant tell most in between colors like maroon (which to me looks black) light red (which looks pink).

Some extremes are only being able to see in one color, commonly green.

Honestly I never want to complain and I do not feel like I should get my "just deserts." because I think there are people whom are worse off but I do feel like sometimes I do not get the full 100% experience from the game.

Mycatisbigfoot
04-09-2009, 04:38 AM
Wenona are very lucky they don't get that, Its only us guys XD I know lots of men that have it and they can only see black and white, You got be very happy you can see tho, that would suck if you never even saw a table for instans, but i have to say the game companys should relise that some men can not see red\green.ect, but most of them dont give a shit all they are in is for the the pay out

TheLastAntidote
04-09-2009, 01:28 PM
My issue isn't necessarily with vision... For reasons beyond my control, Its better that I play my games Southpaw and it really irks me that most games don't even have this feature.

When a game isn't controller customizable or doesn't have Southpaw, then I tend to suck at the game or I'm decent, but struggle every step of the way. It's even worse if I'm playing competatively online.

While I don't feel left out, like you oimperialsalsao, I do tend to feel like a hinderance to my friends because I struggle to play with a right-handed control scheme.

I hate that with the advanced technology that systems and games have become, developers still don't make fully customizable controller schemes.

danowat32
04-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I can't play games like Hexic because the greens and yellows look very similar to me :(

RuggersAssassin
04-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm color blind too. It;s not that severe though. I can tell my basic shades, but I can't make a difference with blue and navy blue. I know my basics, but I don't see a difference to all the other shades of a basic color.

jimi_stephen
04-09-2009, 02:20 PM
kinda... I don't have a problem with colors or shades of colors, my problem is when I was in 3rd grade I broke my nose playing baseball and ever since I can't see shades of gray very well. Also it jacked with my depth perception and if somethings not moving I kinda loose it in the back ground, especially if the color are close together. The only time it bothers me in games and stuff is when i'm playing like COD4 online and on the Marine maps (as opposed to the SAS maps) when i'm on the OP-For team and someone just sitting against a wall it's really had for me to see them. Most of the SAS maps are really hard for my (downpour, pipeline in the buildings, etc.) The more the colors are in the extreme( red and blue, orange and blue) I don't have a problem with seeing it (OP-For being in blue uniforms on a light brown wall.)

oimperialsalsao
04-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I can't play games like Hexic because the greens and yellows look very similar to me :(

Same here. I play it to try and unlock achievements but I will never be a pro at it. I cant believe I didn't think of that as an example before. Good choice.

Telexen
04-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Definitely an unnecessary pain for you then. It would have been very simple to show the name of the color with text.

EA doesn't think about any of their games though...they just crank them out as quickly as possible.

dm master
04-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Same here. I play it to try and unlock achievements but I will never be a pro at it. I cant believe I didn't think of that as an example before. Good choice.

Guys just so u know theres an option in hexic to give all the colours a symbol instead...

And no i have full colour vision (i think) :) It must be horrible with colourblindness though...

oimperialsalsao
04-10-2009, 05:44 AM
Haha. Thanks for the tip. I didnt even realize that, I guess thats my ignorance. I honestly didnt mean to bump this thread but I certainly had to show my apperciation to everyone for the kind words. I was initially hesitant to start a thread about because sometimes I dont know how this forum will react to it. Thanks for being open to discussion on something simple as not telling/seeing colors.

heymynameisben
04-10-2009, 09:43 AM
That must really suck, I can imagine how annoying it must get.

If you really wanted you could post a picture and people would tell you what the colours are but I guess you dont care that much.

DDcup x
04-10-2009, 09:51 AM
I really feel for you man :( i couldnt imagine playing games without a full colour spectrum

<3