PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else annoyed by hacking yet?

Pippers
04-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the game so far, it's just that the repeated hackings necessary are starting to get annoying.

The controls aren't the greatest, which is fine for everything BUT hacking, which is time-based. Medium and Hard gates are really more luck than anything else I feel and they can take you 10-20 tries each to hack (and then you have to do it again, and again).

I'll be doing most of my money earning in easy gate systems and I'm hoping there's nothing that forces us through hard systems multiple times.

FlipSwitch
04-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Tbh i think the developers want you to feel that way... you cant make 2 games this infuriating without knowing about it, lets be honest. I also think its that same infuriation that makes you keep going, damn them Quite clever really.

Most of the gates ive been through stayed open... you had them closing on you?

eviltb
04-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Hackings reletivly straight forward for me, its the mining I cant seem to master (yet).

Pippers
04-09-2009, 11:21 AM
After you pass through them a few times they'll close back up again and you'll have to rehack them. If I only had to do each gate once I wouldn't complain.

Mining isn't too bad: again, it's luck-based if you get a good starting pattern. I've gotten around 6 or 7 perfects so far, almost always on the 2-gold mine which is one jump away from Erebus, I forget if it's Talus or Ceti.

eviltb
04-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Oh I didnt know they closed back up. Thats a little sneaky. You cant re-mine a failed asteroid, at least Ive not seen you can yet, so why would a gate you've already hacked close up again??? Its not like theres a lack of gates to get the 25 gates cheev, plus that will be annoying when travelling to different planets later on in the game.

FlipSwitch
04-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Sucks that they close back up - and i agree the asteroids should refresh if the gates do... but the logic is there physics wise, tech can fail but putting materials back into asteroids is more dificult to justify i suppose. Small irritation i guess.

Ill probably try to stick around MRI territory as much as i can in later game stages, easy gates ^^

Joebeest86
04-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Hacking the gates multiple times is super lame. But I think my asteroids have been refreshing. Gonna go back in and look though.

FlipSwitch
04-09-2009, 03:07 PM
If they have I demand you tell us the HaxxGalactrix.net aministrative password ^^
I reckon perhaps there might be an item / crew member later on that allows you to mine asteroids multiple times. Would be nice to see, perhaps the same with the leapgates so you dont have to reopen them, or perhaps a story event where the leapgates stay open after you do something pivotal.

melwing17
04-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Ugh, I didn't know that they close back up. That sucks. I'm okay at easy most of the time, but moving to medium makes me curse.

I swear sometimes I hear "60 second warning" before I've matched the first color.

I really think that asteroids do "restock", I swear I've gone back to the same ones a few times. On that subject, is the "successfully mine 10 asteroids" achievement only for ones you COMPLETE? meaning black holes don't count?

Pippers
04-09-2009, 11:13 PM
I don't know how far you all are into the game. I didn't think I was that far into the game and I've mined each asteroid around 20 times each. It seems that each time you hit a system or two all the asteroids refresh in the original system. I've got almost enough money just off my random asteroid hitting each time I go to a system for a quest to buy that MRI Dreadnought ship, and I'm only like 3 hours into the game?

PS: I've mined around 100 asteroids or more so the 10 mining ach is definitely for perfects. I'm at around 6 or 7 perfects. The easiest perfect I think is the 2 gold asteroid in either Talus or Ceti I forget which.

PPS: It seems like its either random or you have to pass through a gate close to 10 times before it closes up. Still, I won't be farming any regions beyond hard gates as even medium ones can take like 10 tries until you get lucky!

FlipSwitch
04-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Confirmation: asteroids do restock, although ive yet to ascertain how to trigger it, it may be a real time thing, or based on something you do ingame like travelling round the systems. As for the MRI Mindship - your better off saving up the mil for the Trident Battleship - Capital Class ftw.

You can buy it down in Aries, or any Trident shipyard i think.

Joebeest86
04-10-2009, 02:03 PM
I stumbled on that Trident business. The capitol ship is pretty sweet. I am really over the difficulty of the hacking. I am not a puzzle game guru. I really enjoy this though. The time restraint is just too much.

FlipSwitch
04-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Never claim to be anythin, people will always crap on your parade ^^ wise words from i have no idea who, but what ya gonna do.

I cant abide hackin tbh, wasnt too bad when i thought i wouldnt have to do it forever more, but now it just feels ridiculous. Gief patch imo.

Might rampage round later on an save for the Trident ship.

Zombiechild
04-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Hacking is like a kick to the groin hurts for awhile goes numb then some nutter does it again..

MrJul
04-11-2009, 01:01 PM
I didn't mind hacking at first but it gets boring fast. Know that I know the gates can close again... wth game developers still don't understand that making boring and repetitive things doesn't add to the game lifetime?

Concerning the asteroids, they can only be 3 that are empty at a time. Go to Beta Centauri, there are 6 asteroids there: mine 4: you'll see that the first one you mined will be restocked right after completing the 4th one.

Motrahtox
04-12-2009, 05:15 AM
The hacking isnt exactly diificult anymore but it is still painful because its more or less gameplay padding.

I also think its annoying how cheap some of the battles are. Here I am 50 HP ahead of the other guy and then bam he gets a bunch of strings of 10 damage mines and combos like crazy doing 40 damage and sometimes more. Its very annoying that the computer gets the first turn in most cases as well.

Still a great game but some things should be stream lined. I was just thinking why do I have to watch the ship on the world map go all the way from one planet to the next if I have them all unlocked? I should be able to choose the planet and it will bring me right to the next area within the planet.

silentdante
04-12-2009, 08:15 AM
hey guys, first post on these forums, long time lurker, just wanted to throw a quick tip put there for people who hate hacking. yes the gates re-close but when you begin one hacking, hit the start button after you do each match, and while all the other gems are falling and matching the time will not count down in the pause menu. then just look at what color you need next, resume game and repeat. it saves a lot of time and it has made hacking pretty much a breeze even on hard or medium.

i think it has also helped train me to spot a match 3's quicker knowing what color is next. it may seem tedious but i havent had to replay one in a long time now.

the mines do refresh also like a previous poster said, and you can pretty much make insane amount of money by going to the one galaxy mentioned above and just mining and selling over and over. i find the most difficult part of the game is creating items, i've done one and thats about it. i wish they were static creation boards kind of how you captured monsters in the first puzzle quest, oh well.

anyways hope that tip helps people out, it is also posted on gamefaqs.

Joebeest86
04-14-2009, 11:03 AM
oooh neat trick. Ill have to try that thanks!

Pippers
04-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the tips silentdante and mrjul! I guess we can grind out enough money to not have to worry about it ever again in Beta Centauri, and then keep travelling to a minimum so we don't have to rehack as often.

MEMANIAsama
04-14-2009, 01:05 PM
It's a pain in the ass. I've yet to encounter a "re-locked" gate but I'm sure I will.

ProjectSix
04-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Most annoying part of the game for me so far. I seem to get through most of them first try but just so time consuming without and real feel of a reward. I didn't know they can close up again, that is weak.

Asteroids do refresh. I think its just a set time for each, not sure if they have diff times or the same. If you go to Beta Centauri you can mine non-stop rotating around those asteroids. Pretty sweet saving for the $1m for the capital ship.

justinl
04-24-2009, 04:40 AM
a little off-topic but a heads up on the mining- they do refresh.
example after mining asteroid "a" you must mine 3 more asteroids before "a" will refresh. if you've got alot of patience go to beta centauri-there are 6 asteroids there- and mine till your hearts content, easy money, but time consuming. and yes hacking is a forced annoyance