PDA

View Full Version : Installing to HD THAT helpful?

eskEMO
04-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Hi hi,

So I'm going for an achievement in Far Cry that's spend 80 hours in multiplayer games...I plan on leaving it on since the community is dead. Does installing the game to the HDD really lower the heating that much? I read that it helps with overheating.

Biodrive
04-10-2009, 12:19 AM
I have not heard that it stops your xbox from heating as the heat is usually coming from the GPU (Graphics card). It will however, increase the life of your DVD drive. And it makes map load faster :)

CLET8
04-10-2009, 12:25 AM
I also heard it will lower the heating. Your console will make alot less noise and the game will run much smoother.

eskEMO
04-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Well, who can argue with 2 different pro's and no cons? Thanks guys. :)

CLET8
04-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Well, who can argue with 2 different pro's and no cons? Thanks guys. :)

No problem. It does take up a lot of space on your HDD though, but if you're just going to install it for that one achievement then you should be fine.

Khalus Akuhei
04-10-2009, 03:47 AM
I install every game I play to the HD now, and just have to switch disks to play them! Having an Elite 120gb helps alot though, plus I only own the RPGs for the most part which take a long to defeat so don't have to delete them to make space.

Installing a game to the HD will help preserve the life of the drive, since all the game data is on the HD and doesn't require the drive to keep spinning to get it. Everything with moving parts will eventually break, so I highly recommend everyone too install their currently being played game{s} to the HD, if ya have the space of course.

Having the disk present is mandatory but its just a security check to prove you own the game. The 360 of course will check that said game DvD is in the drive when starting and periodically at times it'll do a quick check that the disk is still there during play.

All the heat comes from the GPU, but you'll also greatly reduce the noise output of the drive and increase loading times 10 fold in many games!

lostmotiv
04-10-2009, 07:36 AM
i pretty much have 2 install now as my dvd drive is very sketchy about what it will play and how long it will go before crashing. Installing is obviously quieter cuz no constant spinning disc. As far as heat though, mine still gets just as warm as when the game is played off the disc.

she haunts me
04-10-2009, 08:35 AM
It seems I'm the only one that noticed a difference in heat. But I have an elite and my box runs much cooler with it installed to the HDD. And of course it is quieter and loads quicker.

eskEMO
04-10-2009, 08:38 AM
I installed Far Cry Instincts after reading the responses and...wow. I had the TV off while doing the boosting, so I had to come over a couple times to see if the xbox was even on still. lol :)

Will be doing this for all games now, thanks guys!

exo-apollo
04-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Installing games to the HD saved my disc drive from dying. It used to take at least 3 tries to get a game going, now it works every single time.

xvx Tiger xvx
04-10-2009, 12:04 PM
I tend to install anything I think will get played on a regular basis.
CoD WaW, Gears 2 etc. Mainly from a noise perspective in my case.
I haven't really noticed much difference in load times.

KSizzle
04-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I tend to install anything I think will get played on a regular basis.

This is exactly what I do. I have a select few games that I play regularly like L4D and RB2. I think its def. a must if you play a certain game alot.

Mr Random Hero
04-12-2009, 11:19 AM
I install anything that is played a lot because would usually play late at night and need the 360 to be quiet. Or at least quieter :)

MrMario2011
04-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Yes, it IS helpful. My friends don't see a point in it, but since I was into PSP modding for a while and I've seen this stuff done, I know how it's beneficial.