PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Surpasses the Wii and PS3 in Console Usage

Weapon 117
04-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Nielsen has released the latest State of the Video Gamer report, revealing PC and video game console usage. Based on data from the fourth quarter of 2008, the report has revealed that the PlayStation 2 still leads all other consoles in total minutes of usage, but it continues to have the highest downward trending rate of usage. Nielsen suggests that by the end of 2009, the PlayStation 2 will no longer be the most used console in the United States.

When it comes to the new systems, the Xbox 360 surpasses the Wii and the PlayStation 3, with Sony's Blu-ray Disc system performing almost as well as Microsoft's system. The reports revealed that PlayStation 3 users are older than users of any other console tracked, while the Nintendo Wii has the youngest demographic.

This partially explains why the Wii users have the fewest average usage days and the shortest daily average number of sessions. Even the Playstation 2 and Xbox are reported to be used more often by consumers than the Nintendo Wii.

Below is a chart from the report showing the trends mentioned above:

http://media.teamxbox.com/dailyposts/consoleusage_2009-04.gif Source: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/19338/Xbox-360-Surpasses-the-Wii-and-PS3-in-Console-Usage/

InkedUp
04-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Thats is pretty interesting, good find

Biodrive
04-10-2009, 12:17 AM
I think the Wii is currently the most popular next gen console (I may be wrong). This is explained by the information.

Anyways, it's good to see that the Xbox is up there.

CLET8
04-10-2009, 12:30 AM
I think the Wii is currently the most popular next gen console (I may be wrong). This is explained by the information.

Anyways, it's good to see that the Xbox is up there.

Well, the Wii has the most console sales (I think), but the other consoles get more playing time.

XxDarkMaster1xX
04-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Xbox 360s Games:
Halo 3
COD 4,5
GOW 1 and 2
Left 4 Dead
F.E.A.R 2

Wii Games:
Cooking Mama
About 6 or 7 Mario games
Wii Fit
Go Diego Go: Great Dinosaur Rescue(Lol)

I wonder why the Xbox 360 is played more.

Dragon's Heart
04-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Dude, I can believe this...I spent forever looking for a wii when they first came out, finally got one, and now all it does is sit there collecting dust, I never play it anymore...I started playing xbox 360 and never went back to any of our other consoles...As for a PS3, I might get one, when they make them backwards compatable, until then, not worth the money to me, I have only seen a few games on it that I would actually want to play that I can't already get on the xbox...

Fatal1ty
04-10-2009, 10:44 AM
I always thought it was the Wii in front.

Good find.

jason86586
04-10-2009, 12:07 PM
the reasons is that the wii generally is aimed at a younger audience (6-11 as the source above states) and this younger audience generally wont play as much as an older audience because nearly every 6-11 year old has school every day and there is also parental control. There is also the fact that most wii games suck and wont make most people play them for hours on end

Cacky
04-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Great news, there is an on going war at my school over which is the best next gen console.

DanTheManGum
04-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Great news, there is an on going war at my school over which is the best next gen console.

Really? That would seem like an elementary school thing which I seriously doubt your in (but I could be wrong). It is purely a matter of taste and I think you should share that with your school.

On topic: Not surprising that the 360 has passed the wii but I find the age group thing a little more intrusting.

CLET8
04-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Dude, I can believe this...I spent forever looking for a wii when they first came out, finally got one, and now all it does is sit there collecting dust, I never play it anymore...I started playing xbox 360 and never went back to any of our other consoles...As for a PS3, I might get one, when they make them backwards compatable, until then, not worth the money to me, I have only seen a few games on it that I would actually want to play that I can't already get on the xbox...

The PS3 is backwards compatible.

Dragon's Heart
04-10-2009, 10:05 PM
The PS3 is backwards compatible.

The one they were selling for a while was, but the ones that they are selling now aren't anymore...Or that is what they keep telling me at Bestbuy anyways...Something about the only one that was backwards compatible was the one that came with Metal Gear Solid (I believe that is the right game), after that they quit making them...

MattyBoosh
04-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Yeah, the poster above is correct, PS3 is no longer backwards compatible. If you can source one that was made in 2006 then it has the capability. But as from Aug 2008 you can no longer play your old games.

And as far as i'm aware, the feature has never been available to PAL PS3's, though I could be wrong on that.

Anyway, back on topic...Woo...go 360! :D

CyanideBreathMint
04-10-2009, 11:00 PM
You sound like an impulse buyer. The PS3 won't be getting backwards compatibility anymore either (as far as I've read). Unless you buy a used one off eBay.

I've found these numbers are really only interesting to fan boys. I was surprised to see the activity still going on the original Xbox however. Either way, I enjoy the games on my 360 regardless of what NPD/Nielsen ratings go.

KFZ Scrubs
04-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Xbox 360s Games:
Halo 3
COD 4,5
GOW 1 and 2
Left 4 Dead
F.E.A.R 2

Wii Games:
Cooking Mama
About 6 or 7 Mario games
Wii Fit
Go Diego Go: Great Dinosaur Rescue(Lol)

I wonder why the Xbox 360 is played more.
Well, there's always the casual gamer and children for the wii......
i have to admit though, i thought it would have been the wii.

Dragon's Heart
04-11-2009, 01:57 PM
You sound like an impulse buyer. The PS3 won't be getting backwards compatibility anymore either (as far as I've read). Unless you buy a used one off eBay.

I've found these numbers are really only interesting to fan boys. I was surprised to see the activity still going on the original Xbox however. Either way, I enjoy the games on my 360 regardless of what NPD/Nielsen ratings go.

From what I was being told at Bestbuy they will be having a download or something later on to where you can have backwards compatibility on the PS3, but they are waiting until the PS2 quits making sales first...Either way, I don't plan on buying one anytime soon as there are only a few games that I actually want to play on it...Not worth $400 to me right now, when most of the games available I can get for the xbox which I already own...I played the wii for quite a while when I first got it, but then I got bored cause nobody ever wanted to play with me anymore and the games just got lame playing by yourself all the time...I keep it cause I'm sure my daughter will probably be playing it in about another year or so...

Bieest Unit
04-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Wii is only such a good sale because of lots of families with young children and people having bought it because Nintendo USED to be good.
Don't know why so many people waste money on playstation though.
Xbox passing them is just logic.

Telexen
04-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Not surprising to me at all. The Wii is one big gimmick and isn't actually that fun. Who would have thought?

krucifiedkevin
04-11-2009, 08:01 PM
From what I was being told at Bestbuy they will be having a download or something later on to where you can have backwards compatibility on the PS3, but they are waiting until the PS2 quits making sales first...Either way, I don't plan on buying one anytime soon as there are only a few games that I actually want to play on it...Not worth $400 to me right now, when most of the games available I can get for the xbox which I already own...I played the wii for quite a while when I first got it, but then I got bored cause nobody ever wanted to play with me anymore and the games just got lame playing by yourself all the time...I keep it cause I'm sure my daughter will probably be playing it in about another year or so...

from what i thought i read sony elected to remove the backward compatibility functionality out of the ps3 as a cost savings measure. i believe its a chip/emulator that was manufactured into the circuitry board of the ps3... and isnt a downloadable item....

Telexen
04-11-2009, 08:41 PM
from what i thought i read sony elected to remove the backward compatibility functionality out of the ps3 as a cost savings measure. i believe its a chip/emulator that was manufactured into the circuitry board of the ps3... and isnt a downloadable item....

It's software. The 360's is software. It even has it's own partition.

Personally, I don't care about backwards compatibility. Skimping on any other feature of a console in the name of backwards compatibility should require jail time.

Dragon's Heart
04-11-2009, 11:44 PM

Personally, I don't care about backwards compatibility. Skimping on any other feature of a console in the name of backwards compatibility should require jail time.

I can see what you are saying on this, but for me the backwards compatibility would be nice cause I don't live in a very big place and having to have a different console for every game that I want to play takes up space that I don't really have...I'm thinkin' get PS3 (if it played PS2 games), get rid of PS2 even if it doesn't play PSone games, cause I already have a PSone as well...Just like we have a wii and gamecube and I am thinking about maybe getting rid of the gamecube since the wii also plays those games...Dunno yet...I am also planning on moving sometime fairly soon so it depends on if the place I move into is bigger than this one or not...

Telexen
04-12-2009, 12:05 AM
I figure there are enough new games out to keep me occupied. I have no need to go back and play games from old systems - no matter how much I loved them.

kareem66
04-12-2009, 02:11 AM
Xbox 360 has the most games and in my opinion the best ones so I'm not surprised we pwned the ps3 and the wii.

krucifiedkevin
04-12-2009, 02:22 PM

cool, thanks for the correction.

nielson just amended their results:

Research firm Nielsen has amended its recently released report (http://www.edge-online.com/news/nielsen-wii-has-lowest-user-activity)that claimed the Wii has the lowest amount of usage.
In January 2009, Wii was second only to the massively popular PlayStation 2 in usage. Nielsen told FastCompany (http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/kevin-ohannessian/not-quite-conversation/who-really-gets-most-play-wii-wins-and-playstation-3-l) the correct usage minute percentages across all consoles were: PlayStation 2: 23.7 percent, Wii: 20.7 percent, Xbox 360: 18.2 percent, PlayStation 3: 9.0 percent, Xbox: 7.9 percent and GameCube: 3.3 percent.
Nielsen notes: "Looking at the total usage minutes across all consoles for 2008, PlayStation 2 with the largest installed base still leads all other consoles. However the PlayStation 2 usage minutes are trending significantly down for the year. GameCube and Xbox usage minutes are slowly trending down for 2008. The Xbox 360 and Wii usage minutes are trending upward."
Nielsen corrected and reposted its report on its blog (http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/stateofvgamer_040909_fnl.pdf).

Mr Random Hero
04-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Try to give each of them a decent usage but always seems to turn out that the 360 is used a lot more then the others and Wii hardly at all. PS3 gets a moderate gaming outing and a hefty Blu-ray use. So.......er yeah :)