PDA

View Full Version : Some idea's

jj harvey
04-10-2009, 02:55 AM
Apologies if these have been suggested already

Guides - Can we have guides which give us step by step on how to get the achievements. By this I don't mean a full game guide, just one for the achievements.

E.g.
Level 1
*collect item a*
*collect item b*
*do this for "name" achievement*
*collect item c*

I've seen a couple of these around for collectables but usually it's never in the order of appearance. Of course it can't really be done for a lot of games but some(especially "kids" games) they would be incredibly useful.

"What should I get" - I've seen a few people who dislike the fact there's several new posts on this every day, so maybe there could be a sub-forum where people can ask this type of question? If it's subbed to "games" I'm sure people will spot it easily, since there able to find the games forum to post in the first place. I know there's a thread for this but it's rarely used and gets lost easily and there's already far too many sticky's for it to be one.

Sticky - Someone mentioned this in the thread below, can we seperate sticky's from normal posts, like put a divider between them or something. It would make the forums a bit easier to read and would make the sticky's stand out more.

KFZ Scrubs
04-10-2009, 03:23 AM
Well i don't know about your suggestion about the guides, a lot of guides are well done and help a lot. I think your trying to get like ultra specific guides or something like that.
Also a official what should i get post was made by Maxor i think, its just that it doesn't have a sticky and everybody is compelled to make their own thread about what they should get.
I think that seeing the thumbtack on the right side should be good enough to divid them, don't think that it's too confusing to distinguish between them... least thats what i feel.

Ingles
04-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Apologies if these have been suggested already

Guides - Can we have guides which give us step by step on how to get the achievements. By this I don't mean a full game guide, just one for the achievements.

E.g.
Level 1
*collect item a*
*collect item b*
*do this for "name" achievement*
*collect item c*

I've seen a couple of these around for collectables but usually it's never in the order of appearance. Of course it can't really be done for a lot of games but some(especially "kids" games) they would be incredibly useful.

"What should I get" - I've seen a few people who dislike the fact there's several new posts on this every day, so maybe there could be a sub-forum where people can ask this type of question? If it's subbed to "games" I'm sure people will spot it easily, since there able to find the games forum to post in the first place. I know there's a thread for this but it's rarely used and gets lost easily and there's already far too many sticky's for it to be one.

Sticky - Someone mentioned this in the thread below, can we seperate sticky's from normal posts, like put a divider between them or something. It would make the forums a bit easier to read and would make the sticky's stand out more.

The guides are already designed to strictly show how to get the individual achievements. If you find a guide that isn't as descriptive as it could be, anyone that wants can always re-write or submit other material to add to the guide and help improve it in any way possible.

Personally, I'm tired of the "What should I get?" threads. Like you, I've seen a million of them. If people took time to read what others have said in the first place, there would be much less of these types of threads. The thing is... no matter what is said, there will still be millions more made each day.

I feel that sticky's could be improved upon in perhaps some ways, most notably in looking for ways to consolidate some of the ones we have already perhaps. Other than that, I think many of them have their reasons for being there, but having some type of well-defined line to better separate them is totally up to RX. I'm not sure if the benefit of having it would out weigh the work of implementing it in all threads or if that would be a tedious task at all.

Skillet
04-10-2009, 06:52 AM
I don't know if vBulletin allows a separator to be placed between stickies and regular threads or not. But I'm sure there's a way to bold the text of pinned threads.

Though it may take some manual labor by the staff to actually make that happen.

As others have said, most guides give specific details about how to achieve the achievements for a game. And most games that have level specific achievements have walkthroughs int he forums.

As for the "this or that" and "what should I get" threads... I think they should just be locked on sight. But that's probably just wishful thinking. :p

KFZ Scrubs
04-10-2009, 07:40 AM
I think maybe the "official what should i get thread" shouldd get a sticky. So then anyone who posts another what should i get thread should get a big old slap on the head because the sticky is on the first page so they can't say they didn't see it....

The Pants Party
04-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Your guides suggestion is already in place: they're called road maps. Or perhaps if you're referring to collectibles, those almost always have their own thread and would be linked from whatever achievement in the guide requires them.

If the existing "what should I get?" thread is ignored, you can bet a new sub-forum would be, too. People post wherever they feel like, it seems.

As for the last, I'll have a chat with Routine and see if there is an option to distinguish them a bit better.

Eternal
04-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Yes there is an option in vBulletin to put a separator between the stickied threads and 'normal' threads. I use it on my forums :p