PDA

View Full Version : XBL question.

Sonado
04-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Right now, I'm not connected to XBL. I haven't been for a couple months. I have gained about 1000 more gamerpoints. I'm planning on getting back online in a couple days. My question is, when I get online again, are my gamerpoints that I achieved offline going to stay?

~thanks

~Sonado

Deadly Moves
04-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Right now, I'm not connected to XBL. I haven't been for a couple months. I have gained about 1000 more gamerpoints. I'm planning on getting back online in a couple days. My question is, when I get online again, are my gamerpoints that I achieved offline going to stay?

~thanks

~Sonado
The simple answer is yes! You wont lose anything.

iKiddo
04-10-2009, 01:01 PM
The simple answer is yes! You wont lose anything.

The long answer.
If you recover you will lose the points. If you just connect with your gamer tag straight away then it will be fine.

Glowin Smurff
04-11-2009, 05:24 PM
hopefully your not wanting to be a gold member though, because 90days unconnected to live permanently locks your account to silver.

Golden138
04-11-2009, 08:02 PM
hopefully your not wanting to be a gold member though, because 90days unconnected to live permanently locks your account to silver.

He speaks the truth!!

Tenacious
04-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Wait.. permanently? Like, even if you pay for a new subscription, it's permanent?

Glowin Smurff
04-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Wait.. permanently? Like, even if you pay for a new subscription, it's permanent?

permanent. like set in stone, they won't budge, 'start a new tag' they say. trust me, i spent lots of time w/ Xbox on the phone about this stupid thing that happens to be in the TOS.

gamerguy69
04-11-2009, 10:51 PM

How could this be true? Are you saying that if you don't log-in to LIVE with your account/GamerTAG (either SILVER or GOLD) at least once every 90 days it will be locked to Silver status???

Perhaps you only need to log-in to the Windows LIVE ID that you have your account associated with.

I've not had this problem but I've never been "away" from my Xbox LIVE for any extended period.

I've logged in to Xbox.com even through dial-up when my high-speed internet was down for a few weeks. I use my Windows LIVE ID e-mail regularly and it never lies dormant for long.

I've heard of e-mail accounts being cleared (messages deleted) when you don't use them for months.

permanent. like set in stone, they won't budge, 'start a new tag' they say. trust me, i spent lots of time w/ Xbox on the phone about this stupid thing that happens to be in the TOS.

Did you not sign-in anywhere such as the Xbox.com site with your account or use the Windows LIVE ID e-mail that you have tied to that account?

-adam-leeds
04-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Thats A Stupid Rule
There Like Putting People Off Xbox Live By Doing That
Tbh Never Knew That Cheers
:)

gamerguy69
04-12-2009, 12:00 AM
You should at least log-in to Xbox.com once every 90 days. Just use a friend's computer or go down to the local library if you don't have internet for an extended period of time. I know when I go on the website, my Friends see that I was logged in "X" minutes ago (after I steer away from the site) but they don't see me "signing in".

That seems like enough to keep your account active. Don't just make-up a throwaway Windows LIVE ID but use the e-mail once in awhile.

Golden138
04-12-2009, 12:12 AM
It happened to my wifes old account. It will only happen to your gold account though, won't touch your silver.

Chris764
04-12-2009, 12:53 AM
That's the most retarded rule ever. Good thing you can log on through xbox.com though.

Sonado
04-12-2009, 12:55 AM
Waaait, I sign on xbox.com every couple days to check on my friends and see who's passing me on GS scales, so I have SILVER right now, and I know I haven't been offline for more than 90 days, I WILL have all my gained GS back right?

If not, I'm screwed, I spent 5 days getting 1k from Mirror's Edge + CoD4 f*ck!

gamerguy69
04-12-2009, 01:28 AM
How are you signing in to Xbox.com? Are you signing in from someplace other than where you have your 360? You can sign-in to Xbox LIVE (thru your console) whether your account is Silver or Gold and your GS will update.

Clicking on your Gamercard, I see that the last time you were online was 3/07/09 playing Skate 2. Currently you are OFFLINE and last seen 31 minutes ago. I see your account is currently Silver.

When you state you haven't been "online" in a couple of months do you mean as a Gold member?

Sonado
04-12-2009, 01:57 AM
That was seriously my fault. I've not been gold for a month or two, and have not been online any XBL for a month or two

Sorry for any confusions.

gamerguy69
04-12-2009, 01:05 PM
It happened to my wifes old account. It will only happen to your gold account though, won't touch your silver.

I am still trying to wrap my mind around this concept. They will lock your Gold Account to permanent Silver when you don't log-in for 90 days?

That is so warped. I am kinda thinking something else occurred with your wife's old account. What you are saying is that it is possible for me to redeem a pre-paid card, (say, a 12 +1 month subscription) and just not sign-in to my account and they will change my Gold to SILVER???!!! :eek:

Activate a Gold account in September and if you next only log-in the following January you are denied access???!!!

Why would someone pay good money for a Gold account in the first place if they were not going to use it for 90+ days??? Why wouldn't MS just let the subscription run it's course since it has already been paid for??? Was the account set for auto-renewal through a card that subsequently expired perhaps?

Accounts that have no renewal payment method tied to them would just revert to Silver anyway -- or would they?

Glowin Smurff
04-13-2009, 04:59 AM
i'm not sure on gold being locked or not, he we using month cards or 2day cards (back when they made u gold) he was offline for like 100 days or so (was silver at the time) we tried to use another month card, and then called Xbox cuz it wouldn't let us, and were told it was locked in Silver, permanently and that it's in the TOS.

but logging on to the xbox.com website sounds like it would keep your account active, but of course this wasn't known at the time, and is done and over with now, cuz he's got another accnt for playing online unless it's 48hr codes (he can use those on his main account cuz it doesn't make you gold anymore, it just allows online play, yeah wtf i know)

if this doesn't make sense just goto xbox.com and search the TOS for innactive.

roy1751
04-13-2009, 05:17 AM
guys, there is no need to spread the panic. The 90 day rule only applies to people that have their gamertag associated with an email address that is on a service which will close the account after a period of inactivity. Hotmail is one of those, they are working on a fix. This blew up a couple months ago, here is the 411.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/20/ms-actively-working-on-linking-gamertags-to-new-windows-live-i/ (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/20/ms-actively-working-on-linking-gamertags-to-new-windows-live-i/)

Having amassed an impressive Gamerscore by slogging through Cabela hunting games, forgettable anime beat-em-ups and the last Iron Man game, it's no surprise that Xbox Live users become agitated when their Gamertags are placed in jeopardy. Earlier this week, it was reported that Windows Live IDs linked to dormant email addresses were at risk of deletion (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/18/to-my-old-email-address-subject-why-did-you-kill-my-gamertag/), taking associated Gamertags with them.

However, Microsoft has clarified the situation, noting, "People with dormant Windows Live IDs can continue to enjoy the benefits of their Xbox LIVE Gamertags on their Xbox 360 consoles, including earning Achievements; however, they will not be able to use their expired Windows Live IDs for activities such as account management on xbox.com." According to a company representative, "An Xbox LIVE Gamertag is unrecoverable from the system only when the associated Windows Live ID has become dormant and the Gamertag has been deleted from all Xbox 360 consoles." In other words, a dead Windows Live ID will prevent you from recovering your Gamertag online should you change consoles or attempt account management, such as renewing your Xbox Live subscription.

Microsoft is "actively working" on a solution that should allow you to sever the dead weight of an expired Windows Live ID and link your Gamertag to a new one. In the meantime, Major Nelson recommends (http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/02/19/windows-live-id-s-and-gamertags.aspx) you log into your Windows Live ID (do it through xbox.com (http://www.xbox.com/)) at least once every four months. Think of it as an insincere pleasantry with long-term benefits -- like visiting your mother-in-law.

gamerguy69
04-13-2009, 07:09 AM
guys, there is no need to spread the panic. The 90 day rule only applies to people that have their gamertag associated with an email address that is on a service which will close the account after a period of inactivity. Hotmail is one of those, they are working on a fix. This blew up a couple months ago, here is the 411.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/20/ms-actively-working-on-linking-gamertags-to-new-windows-live-i/ (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/20/ms-actively-working-on-linking-gamertags-to-new-windows-live-i/)

That doesn't seem too unreasonable. I have my Hotmail address as my Windows LIVE ID e-mail and I use it regularly. I've had it for over 10 years now.

I had an old GamerTAG on the original Xbox that I canceled a few years ago and I recently noticed that I am still receiving the Xbox newsletter in my AOL inbox still today.

I wonder if I'd be able to revive that GT even though it was canceled 3+ years ago -- before Achievements and Gamerscore. No point in it I guess.