PDA

View Full Version : Up or Down?

Mad Man
04-12-2009, 02:24 AM
When you play the Bass for Guitar Hero: Metallica do you strum like you would like playing a guitar or actually strum up like your playing a bass?

I strum up like I am playing the Bass...I do it b/c i have respect for both Robert Trujillo and Cliff Burton.

Both great Bass players.

missy kitty
04-12-2009, 02:29 AM
well I'm guessing you don't play much on expert then, where there's no way you could do well on many songs only strumming up

I don't know, I mean I strum up sometimes too when its an easy or boring bass line, but when it gets going faster up strums just cant keep up to speed

Itsbrown4606
04-12-2009, 02:57 AM
When you play the Bass for Guitar Hero: Metallica do you strum like you would like playing a guitar or actually strum up like your playing a bass?

I strum up like I am playing the Bass...I do it b/c i have respect for both Robert Trujillo and Cliff Burton.

Both great Bass players.

That's nice and all, but as stated, once you get into higher tiers of songs on Expert upstrumming becomes nigh-on impossible if you want to pass.

Bl°°dwolf
04-12-2009, 06:28 AM
I down strum only on 85+% of what I play, the rest I alt strum. I used to up strum, but fuck that, the thumb is better at keeping time and not getting tired.

B4d33nD
04-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Try All Nightmare Long, Fight Fire With Fire or War Ensemble on bass expert upstrum only. No way...

missy kitty
04-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Try All Nightmare Long, Fight Fire With Fire or War Ensemble on bass expert upstrum only. No way...

ha i bet i could do it...

...on easy

also, when do people alt strum? I will do it if my arm is tired, but when I need perfect accuracy I definitely prefer downstrum. Like when I was going for 575k in Creeping Death, I downstrummed everything except for that one part in the solo, boy did that hurt my wrist...

Bl°°dwolf
04-12-2009, 02:52 PM
when do people alt strum? I will do it if my arm is tired, but when I need perfect accuracy I definitely prefer downstrum. Like when I was going for 575k in Creeping Death, I downstrummed everything except for that one part in the solo, boy did that hurt my wrist...

I alt strum on sections that are very long, fairly steady streams of notes. My nephew alt strums all the time on everything and he's a lot better at guitar controller than I am. Of course he's also 17 years younger than I am too, so that has a lot to do with it. ;)

TA Sasuke
04-12-2009, 03:17 PM
I made a bass only custom, if you want you can download and try to up strum it all ;D Its called "BASS EPIC". Anyway i pretty much only down/alt strum. For Creeping Death i ONLY downstrum until i hit the solo. I can't altstrum it for some fucking reason, if i could i would have the 575k ach already :mad:

Unmasked Bandit
04-16-2009, 09:29 PM
I just down because it is easier for me. The only time I strum up is when I need to alt strum.

Lord Chabelo
04-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Up, but I have only tried easy bass

GTukC
04-17-2009, 09:51 AM
I alt strum most stuff unless its a long stream of notes obviously. The only 2 songs in any GH game I just can't alt strum are Creeping Death and Number of the Beast.

JMills109
04-18-2009, 03:38 AM
I made a bass only custom, if you want you can download and try to up strum it all ;D Its called "BASS EPIC". Anyway i pretty much only down/alt strum. For Creeping Death i ONLY downstrum until i hit the solo. I can't altstrum it for some fucking reason, if i could i would have the 575k ach already :mad:

I have problems alt strumming that part as well, but can no longer downstrum fast lol.

Anyway, alt strum all the time, and you'll probably end up much more accurate it than downstrumming on anything thats reasonably fast. Oh and you can actually play songs like creeping death without feeling like your arm is going to fall off. ;)

o0 TommyGuns 0o
04-18-2009, 05:46 AM
i down strum 95% of the time i can only alt strum when its fast strumming otherwise i loose my rhythmn. i really wanna get better at slower alt strumming cause my arm get so tired playing harder songs.

Lucent Beam
04-18-2009, 01:18 PM
I alt strum.

When I fist started playing Guitar Hero 2, I only ever up-strummed (even on guitar). I beat all of medium before I decided that only up-strumming might not be a good idea.

And then I totally switched to down-strumming all the time (except I was down-strumming with my hand in the position of up-strumming and just pushing down on the strum bar with the tips of my fingers, haha).

Eventually I realized that the game is 1000% easier and feels way simpler to manage if you alt-strum and now I alt-strum through absolutely everything except HO/PO's. If you do not alt-strum, I would recommend switching ASAP because after up-strumming for 2 months and down-strumming for a year and a half.. that was a hard and frustrating habit to break to get the game to make sense in my mind alt-strumming.

Raansu
01-28-2011, 01:36 AM
I only up strum, and I only play bass. It's true a lot of the songs can't be upstrummed on expert, but personally I can't down or alt strum. So I play on hard and up strum like there's no tomorrow on the harder songs.

CXZOMBIE1980
06-04-2011, 02:13 AM
I downstrum since day one but have never passed some songs on expert coz i wear down fast in some sections, the other day i watched a guy at a party playing d's eve on expert alt strumming and it seemed so easy, i tried it and after all these years downst. can't pull it off but i'm sure that's the way to go. ps
I'm starting a Metallica Band called Orion, it will be at least 8 players and we will play friday nights against one another as bands and challenging other bands on xbox live all are welcome as long as they dedicate at least an hour every friday to kick ass in the leaderboards. Any instrument. Expert only. Thanks. CXZ

Cilinder
06-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Always down.

Im Blackened
12-06-2011, 12:47 AM
I'll play with my elbow if it's not too hard.