PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a better Completionist

odysseus123
04-13-2009, 01:28 AM
Hey all, I was wondering if any of the top gamers out there have any advice on becoming a better achievement hunter? NOTE: I myself have my own "procedures" when playing a new game, but I feel I can improve upon what I already know.

With any game I pick up I'm automatically fluent at the game within minutes of playtime, but there are people who just blow my skills away. For instance some people can complete games within a week of release or with some games days or even hours. So what do you guys do when you head into a game that you have set on getting 1000gs on? What sort of "pre-planning' do you guys come up with or do you just improvise while playing?

Also what do you guys do when you have periods when you idle? Do you switch games automatically, do something else, or just sit there until you feel like playing more of the same game?

I'm just curious as to what other gamers do to keep their persistence level up and how some gamers just completely blow games out of the water.

x Dante x
04-13-2009, 02:03 AM
I am not 100% sure on what you are asking but I am a completionist myself so I will just tell you what I do to hit the maximum number of points in every game I play.

Focus on one game at a time - this is probably one of the hardest things to follow but you get used to it, never start playing lots of games at the one time, it will take much longer to get things done and you won't be focused on getting a particular job done. Pick one game and stick to it until you nail the maximum points!

Don't be put off by time consumers - Most of the time, achievements that are time consuming never take as long as you think, for instance, a few months back I done a few calculations on getting Seriously in Gears of War (10,000 ranked match kills) and what I figured out was that if I played that game for 3 hours per day 7 days a week I would have Seriously in a month...so don't be put off!

Hard achievements - Once again don't be put off, most of the time the time consuming achievements are worse, the more you play a game the better you get at it therefore unlocking the difficult achievements becomes easier. A good example of this is Guitar Hero. I bought Guitar Hero World Tour two months ago and I didn't even know you had to strum now I can play on Hard/Expert (depends on song). It is my dream by the way to get 1000GS on Devil May Cry 4!

A few tips (for becoming a better completionist as you entitled your thread)

- Take regular breaks especially on grinding achievements it will just feel 'smoother'

- Whenever I need to grind achievements I just listen to music and the time just flies by.

- Follow the guides on this site to ensure you get 1000GS in games as quickly and efficiently as possible. Road Maps help out a lot.

Blackjaw x
04-13-2009, 02:06 AM
I just (used to) stick with one game at a time, kept going until it was done.

x Dante x
04-13-2009, 02:09 AM
I just (used to) stick with one game at a time, kept going until it was done.

Precisely. The most important thing to follow! Cannot stress that enough.

Blackjaw x very impressive Farcry 2 1000GS well done.

antnie
04-13-2009, 02:23 AM
Precisely. The most important thing to follow! Cannot stress that enough.

Blackjaw x very impressive Farcry 2 1000GS well done.
You did not say anything about his level 100. :)

Blackjaw x
04-13-2009, 02:27 AM
You did not say anything about his level 100. :)

Lol omgz good thing he didn't notice it! Phew!

T0b3
04-13-2009, 03:00 AM
I am playing old games with little points in my list for a few days now.. just to make sure I'll never drop below 65% completition again..

antnie
04-13-2009, 03:49 AM
Lol omgz good thing he didn't notice it! Phew!
Let's hope no one else sees it. :)

roy1751
04-13-2009, 05:00 AM
I'm going to write an entire guide about this, but I'm not sure if I want to infect more people with 'the sickness'. :drunk

For now I'd say the reason that most people bail out of games even if they try is because of the 'this achiev is only worth 5GS' syndrome. You have to get used to the idea of setting the 1000 as the goal, and any tough/boring achiev becomes a minor obstacle on the way to the main objective.

DakidJose
04-13-2009, 05:09 AM
I don't rush to get 1000 in a game that I bought. I take my time for every game that I have because it will always be there. I don't need to be the 1st person to get 1000 in a game, but knowing that I will get a 1000 in the game sooner or later. I switch between games all the time because I want to play with my friends in another game and I put the game that I was playing away and continue some other day. That's how I feel. It may be different for people that rent or borrow games.

G Money33
04-13-2009, 05:16 AM
I'm definitely not a great gamer and I don't have a high gamerscore. However, I do consider myself a completionist. Out of my ten games played, I have a total of 8765/10,000. Personally, I beat the campaign mode first and try to get any possible achievements(collectibles, certain challenges, etc.). After that I go back through and mop up anything that I don't have yet. If you have an achievement that you are really going to have to grind for(mine are Seriously 2.0 and L4D's Zombie Genocidest) try to split it up into intervals. I usually listen to music or find a way to take short breaks. I do not have Live but if I did I would recommend trying to take care of those achievements quick while people still play the game online. Also, if you are stuck with something, move on and play something else for a little while before coming back. Most of the time you will have figured out what to do and will accomplish it pretty quickly.

StolenKyle/
04-13-2009, 05:58 AM
What I do is... The following.

-Make sure the game I'm getting has a guide.

-Print out the guide.

-Read the guide a couple times.

-Go through and make sure there is nothing to miss before even starting.

-See if there is a road map.

-Play the game.

Telexen
04-13-2009, 06:33 AM
Don't worry about the time it takes you to 100% it in terms of purchase to completion...people who can do it in days are ones that commit themselves to doing nothing but playing that game.

I beat Bully in 4 days (about 30 hours worth of gameplay). Believe me, I HATED playing xbox by the end of that.

odysseus123
04-13-2009, 06:49 AM
My main issue is trying to commit to a game when you get boring/inconsistent/boosting achievements and end up leaving it and not finishing it off. I'd like to know how some gamers do that without blowing a casket, especially with harder games like DMC4 or NG2.

prowlerdante
04-13-2009, 07:28 AM
My main issue is trying to commit to a game when you get boring/inconsistent/boosting achievements and end up leaving it and not finishing it off. I'd like to know how some gamers do that without blowing a casket, especially with harder games like DMC4 or NG2.

Boosting online achievements and collectibles are the hardest for me to get. Like, for example, I own The Darkness, but haven't completed it due to the overwhelming amount of online achievements in it. I usually try to boost with people I know (you know who you are ;)) and it helps out a lot. Getting some random guy who acts like a dick the whole time doesn't help speed things along.

As far as collectibles go, I just can't be arsed most of the time. For example, in Spiderman: Web of Shadows, there's like 2000 collectibles, and I just don't have the time to dick around and get all of them. Same with Assassin's Creed, I got it in the Christmas of '07 and I still haven't gotten it because of the flags and templars, although now I've gone back to finish it.

Only now have I become a completionist because my percentage is crap. Some games I've given up all hope on, such as Chromehounds and Over G Fighter because the amount of time needed for those is obscene. However, if you feel the need to complete a lot of games, go for it. Since GSL ended I finished up two games I shelfed months ago. Follow your dreams.

DanTheManGum
04-13-2009, 07:43 AM

Like other games if you get frustrated just sit back and wait for a better time to complete them. It took me about two weeks to beat NG2 on master ninja. I like to save collectible achievements for last. I usually try to get online achievements as quick as possible because I dont want the community dying out. I also check guides to make sure there is no glitched achievements (and if their are what exactly they do). I don't want to ruin my completion rating because of bad coding and the developer being to lazy to release a TU.

ApochWeiss
04-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Here's a tip that I have a hard time following due to A.D.D.: Play one game until you complete it.

Unless it's damn near impossible, just keep working at it. I'lls tart a game, then get bored with it and not touch it again. I was bored with the games I have and decided I'd go achievement hunting to piss off a friend who is trying to catch up (good luck, buddy!!! You know who you are...) and grabbed WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw '08 for $10 USD at a clearance sale. I just sat down and start hammering away at the achievements. I think I have 7 left and I know I'll get all of them over time except for 1, which I don't think will be possible at all at this point considering there's two new WWE based games out now haha.

So, yeah, if you don't care about stories, load up a playlist or your favorite CDs, sit down, have plenty of snacks handy, and refreshments, maybe a bottle to urinate in if things get too intense, and just game and don't play anything else until you're done.

slackydave
04-13-2009, 09:43 AM
what i try to do is play through the campaign once on easy. Get the achievements without looking through any guides, because this gives you the feeling you're getting the achievements without "cheating" by looking at guides. But then after a single play through i start to check out this site for guides/ hints or tips on how to get achievements or fast track routes to getting the 1000/1000. Also at the moment there aren't any new games out that i want, so i am going through old games trying to get more gamerscore/ achievements on them when there is nothing new to play on.

Contrah
04-13-2009, 09:56 AM
I start with the Online, as I know there is ages to do single player.

Mr Random Hero
04-13-2009, 11:47 AM
I set myself a goal of trying to get at least 550 points from each game, or a bit more if it has over 1000 points. Seems to be working out so far, soon step it up to try to attain a 60% GSC

Defcizion
04-13-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm going back and re-upping. But from what I've read, one of the most important things to do is just to stick on that game and get it out of the way and not jump around?

Mr Magic
04-13-2009, 01:12 PM
For me, I look at the achievements before I get the game. Just to give me an overview of what to expect. When im playing single player, I'll start off just playing. But once I get the hang of the game, I'll check the achievements to know what to look for. When I start to play muktiplayer, I do the same thing. By the time you figure out the game, shouldn't take long, look at the hard achievements (usually at the bottom of the list) to know what you should be doing. That is just me. I finished Godfather 2, for example, in 3 days. Not saying it was hard, but I just knew what to do, and what to look for.

Or you can do what my friend does, and get all your online achievements before you even touch singleplayer. But still knowing what your doing, and what you need to do hepls a lot. In time, and efficiency.

Contrah
04-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I set myself a goal of trying to get at least 550 points from each game, or a bit more if it has over 1000 points. Seems to be working out so far, soon step it up to try to attain a 60% GSC

And your nearly at 100k!

bosInFusioN
04-13-2009, 01:44 PM
I'd like to become a better completionist as well. I'm somewhat tempted to make another live account to reset my gamerscore and start over with a better completion percentage because when I started gaming, I didn't know what an achievement whore was :(

Have any of you ever done that? Or did you just grind through, go back and re-rent and try to complete that which you didn't etc.

Mr Random Hero
04-13-2009, 01:53 PM
;1820355']And your nearly at 100k!

Just goes to show got a shed load of games, and far too much free time :D

Tomscfc
04-13-2009, 02:09 PM
I just set the goal and don't stop until i hit it, but for some games it's to much to handle and i just can't be bothered to waste to much time. For example i have quit on far cry 2 because the amount of time you spend trying to get the last 3 online achievements is just silly. So best thing to do is just get your music, set a target and go crazy! Don't worry to much if you give up though theres other games :p

velho lobodomar
04-13-2009, 02:47 PM
i really like completing games also. the hardest thing for me are the online ones, since i dislike playing multiplayer, deathmatch, etc. then if a game has too much online achievements i keep them for later when i can grab a friend to grind these. besides, i try to go one game at a time.

i know i canīt 1000/1000 every one of them, but the few i can i go for it. games that requires a thousand hours of online play i call it a day when all the offline achievements are done.

also, x dante xīs post has some really great tips.

Mr Random Hero
04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
i really like completing games also. the hardest thing for me are the online ones, since i dislike playing multiplayer, deathmatch, etc.

Same, really despise online achiev's unless they are co-op as that's the only type of online multi-player I enjoy doing. Depending on the company of course.

Lord Chabelo
04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
I usually tackle about three games at the same time, that way my completion percentage doesn't drop from 75% and I can take a break from one game or another.

supadryz
04-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Take one game at a time, this is the most important rule. i myself will have 3 games on the go at a time & no more this helps not to get too bored with just 1 game. although L4D & SFIV i feel i will never 100% these 2 games.

Xterma
04-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Hey all, I was wondering if any of the top gamers out there have any advice on becoming a better achievement hunter? NOTE: I myself have my own "procedures" when playing a new game, but I feel I can improve upon what I already know.

With any game I pick up I'm automatically fluent at the game within minutes of playtime, but there are people who just blow my skills away. For instance some people can complete games within a week of release or with some games days or even hours. So what do you guys do when you head into a game that you have set on getting 1000gs on? What sort of "pre-planning' do you guys come up with or do you just improvise while playing?

Also what do you guys do when you have periods when you idle? Do you switch games automatically, do something else, or just sit there until you feel like playing more of the same game?

I'm just curious as to what other gamers do to keep their persistence level up and how some gamers just completely blow games out of the water.

look at me im a completionist:mad:

Xterma
04-13-2009, 03:33 PM
a tip is go at1 cheevo at a 1 time

Xterma
04-13-2009, 03:33 PM
like for example look at my games i only need 2 complete RE5, blitz(almost done) and halo 3(mythic)

Xterma
04-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Take one game at a time, this is the most important rule. i myself will have 3 games on the go at a time & no more this helps not to get too bored with just 1 game. although L4D & SFIV i feel i will never 100% these 2 games.

y bro ive seen many ppl who complted those games

impmeister
04-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Guy aboves going to get told off lol. Anyway as said before I find that sticking to one game helps massively. A few months ago I just played whatever I felt like and never got anything done, now most of the time I play a game through to completion and its done within a week at most.

Xterma
04-13-2009, 03:52 PM
I usually tackle about three games at the same time, that way my completion percentage doesn't drop from 75% and I can take a break from one game or another.

THANX FOR THE ADVICE man:)

Xterma
04-13-2009, 03:53 PM
dnt u think sticking 2 one game wil take a long time to complete ALL ur games?

Blackjaw x
04-13-2009, 04:00 PM
dnt u think sticking 2 one game wil take a long time to complete ALL ur games?

There's no difference between...

Spending 30 hours on Game 1 to complete it, then 20 hours on Game 2 to complete it, then 32 hours on Game 3 to complete it.

and

Spending 10 hours on Game 1, then 10 hours on Game 2, then 5 hours on Game 3, then 12 hours on Game 1, then 15 hours on Game 3, then 10 hours on Game 2, then 8 hours on Game 1, then 12 hours on Game 3.

Both methods will get the games done in 82 hours. But I find it's easier to focus on one game at a time to ensure you don't get distracted from it and so you don't move on, getting caught in a cycle of leaving games behind and ending up with like 50% completion.

Xterma
04-13-2009, 04:02 PM
There's no difference between...

Spending 30 hours on Game 1 to complete it, then 20 hours on Game 2 to complete it, then 32 hours on Game 3 to complete it.

and

Spending 10 hours on Game 1, then 10 hours on Game 2, then 5 hours on Game 3, then 12 hours on Game 1, then 15 hours on Game 3, then 10 hours on Game 2, then 8 hours on Game 1, then 12 hours on Game 3.

Both methods will get the games done in 82 hours. But I find it's easier to focus on one game at a time to ensure you don't get distracted from it and so you don't move on, getting caught in a cycle of leaving games behind and ending up with like 50% completion.

ohhhhh ur right maybe i should change my strategy but dnt u think many ppl go for completing 3 games at a time then 1

skel3t0n
04-13-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm a hopeless completionist. A good example of this is the 'sim 30 years' on Madden NFL 06 for a whopping 400g. I just could not bothered but I wish I was was to get the 1000.

Blackjaw x
04-13-2009, 04:16 PM
ohhhhh ur right maybe i should change my strategy but dnt u think many ppl go for completing 3 games at a time then 1

Well it depends on you. If you get too bored playing one game, then go for 2 or 3 at a time. I personally always felt just as bored whether I was balancing one game or five, because boosting is boosting. So for me it helped to have one, but if you have super ADD you would get so bored with that game that you probably wouldn't get anything done and would be better off with 2 or 3.

velho lobodomar
04-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Same, really despise online achiev's unless they are co-op as that's the only type of online multi-player I enjoy doing. Depending on the company of course.

yes, i love co-op achievements, although i prefer when they can be done on local co-op, which i find more fun. :)

Tsaako
04-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Hmm i find it quite hard for me to boost up my completion %.

I decide i'm going to work on it for a lil while but i end up getting a game or something and then it messes my routine up. I do find it boring at times though working on it.

I'm at 42% now. Aiming for 50%. I still have few games that i can easily get 500+ on aswell when they've only got like 100G or something.

You just need motivation sometimes i guess. Playing through Assasins Creed at the moment, guess i'll be chuffed with over 500 i think. I do tend to aim to get over 500 in most games.

I usually listen to music when doing something repetitive and boring. Join partys etc.

Only advice i can give is motivate yourself and dont make it a priority and make sure your having fun. Stick to 1 game at a time if your working on completion %.

Happy gaming. :woop:

Kamakazi Pear
04-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Try not to play games you won't have much time to play/won't buy or whatever. Check achievement guide roadmaps, if a game has glitched achieves or extremely hard achieves, don't get the game. Examples that have dirtied up my gamercard are Rock Band (played at mates, not gonna buy the instruments), GH3 (fun but hard), Assassins Creed (crap) and Virtua Fighter 5. I've also played many games with hard achieves, and the games are crap too. So my percentage is ruined.

Concentrate, if some achieves need boosting, get with some good mates, get refreshments and food and chill out whilst you do it.

And take your time if needs be. You care about completion, hopefully not how long it takes.

Good luck. :)

CloudStr1f3
04-13-2009, 08:02 PM
I guess to sum up all the good advice in this thread: you need focus in order to stick with one objective at a time, to avoid getting overwhelmed, and you need determination to make it through the difficult and frustrating times.

Kamakazi Pear
04-13-2009, 08:05 PM
I guess to sum up all the good advice in this thread: you need focus in order to stick with one objective at a time, to avoid getting overwhelmed, and you need determination to make it through the difficult and frustrating times.

Well said. :)

Boiled Frogs
04-13-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm about 97% atm. Id probably be near 100 right now but back when i first got my xbox i loaded some badass games onto my system, including GTA IV and COD3. Now i'm paying for those mistakes with long, grinding achievements.

Therefore my best advice would be to research a game before you get it if you really want to get into the whole completion thing, because some achievements and games really can stop you dead in your tracks. Use sites like trueachievements to see what you'll need to do to get 1000 in a game, and how hard they will be.

However you shouldn't let hard achievements stop you from getting an awesome game, after all, the whole reason you have an xbox is that you like playing games.

DerEnglaender
04-13-2009, 08:33 PM
completionists unite and say fuck you to halo 3

my_box_72
04-13-2009, 09:29 PM
I alway's try my best to complete at 100% the game , but lol it never works that way when you have 2 diffrent consoles (ps3&xbox360 elite) chasing for trophy or Achievements ;)

Blue Radium
04-13-2009, 10:14 PM
I have started sliding on completion myself, but it is still because of the one simple rule you have to follow to be a completionist. Don't buy a new game until you have milked every other game you have for literally all they are worth. Be sure to stick with games, don't stop playing half way through thinking you will come back to it. If it isn't the greatest game you've ever played, odds are it will be an extremely long time before you do, or you never will.

odysseus123
04-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I said that about Spider-man 3 (one of the most boring grinding games ever) and I only went back to it once since I bought it at release.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll still be looking for more in the coming months and years to help improve my gaming prowess.

nukefarmer
04-14-2009, 02:30 AM
Ill give u some advice but im not an example cause usally something goes wrong with my games or consloe ie broken disc, rrod, or my pc cant run it :uzi:

Tackle 2 or 3 games at a time.

1st game a hard game to beat. This game you will spend trying to nail at it day after day

2nd game an easy game. Pick somethin easys. Only play it when your frustrated and or you need a break. This will be your moral when you get these achieves which will help you get the hard game done.

3rd game a time consuming game. You should play game during breaks between both games. If you get some good time in this game once you finish the other games you will have a good chunk done and you can finish it in a decent time and restart the cycle if you can handel it.

Boiled Frogs
04-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Ill give u some advice but im not an example cause usally something goes wrong with my games or consloe ie broken disc, rrod, or my pc cant run it :uzi:

Tackle 2 or 3 games at a time.

1st game a hard game to beat. This game you will spend trying to nail at it day after day

2nd game an easy game. Pick somethin easys. Only play it when your frustrated and or you need a break. This will be your moral when you get these achieves which will help you get the hard game done.

3rd game a time consuming game. You should play game during breaks between both games. If you get some good time in this game once you finish the other games you will have a good chunk done and you can finish it in a decent time and restart the cycle if you can handel it.

good advice, this is basically what i do, for instance i have recently nearly finished 4 games at around the same time by doing this,

call of duty 3 - hard game

kung fu panda - easy game

viva pinata TIP/burnout paradise - time consuming

if you mix it up a bit it stops you getting so bored of a game you want to die. Also coming back to a previously boring game after a few days can give you a refreshed bill of energy

cerialthriller
04-14-2009, 05:47 PM
I have started sliding on completion myself, but it is still because of the one simple rule you have to follow to be a completionist. Don't buy a new game until you have milked every other game you have for literally all they are worth. Be sure to stick with games, don't stop playing half way through thinking you will come back to it. If it isn't the greatest game you've ever played, odds are it will be an extremely long time before you do, or you never will.

QFT

I have Two Worlds, Assassins Creed, Bully, Bioshock and a few others that im close to 1000 on but havent gotten back to yet to get the 1000 even though i keep telling myself i will soon.

Keenan Sandwich
04-14-2009, 08:01 PM
i wish i could be a completionist.
i'm just way too lazy and can't stick to one game for that long.