PDA

View Full Version : 360 Overheating Problem

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
04-13-2009, 07:21 PM
My 360 seems to be coming to its end....

It keeps overheating whilst Im playing games and the screen will go black and the console shows the 2 red lights which I have found to be an overheating problem.

Its an original premium 360 (20GB) and have had it since November 06 maybe 07 not too sure but think its 06 but anyway, it has never had any major problems other then a disc tray reading error which it fixed itself somehow and this occured just weeks before this overheating problem.

Ive seen with the new 360's the power bricks have little holes on them probably to prevent this as when my 360 overheats the power brick is extremely hot but the 360 seems fine.

I have ordered a new console from Play.com anyway as I had planned on getting a bigger hard-drive anyway but I was still wondering if this could be fixed?

I will be trying a change of power brick used from the new 360 with my old 360 but I am not sure if that would change anything.

With the 360 sometimes I can go 7 hours fine but then it will overheat and then overheat again after an hours break with just 5 mins play time so to speak. Other days it overheats right away and usually I can play arcade games and its fine unless Ive played retail games at some time in that day.

I can have it overheat and then turn it back on again and watch a film fine :confused: it doesnt make sense to me.

But anyway Im replacing it anyway but if I can fix it somehow or know how to that would be great as I might as well sell it on if I can and its fine with a little fixing or changing anyway so any help or knowledge would be great!

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
04-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Just another question as well:

With my new 360 I will use the new HD with my gamertag which is fine when I recover it etc but Im just wondering whether if I fill in and send of this document (Below) will Microsoft transfer all my saved game data?

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/B4E8A2D6-2DEB-46DF-A292-8D83454D62F9/0/MigrationorderformincludingEuropewithfax.pdf

Also am I able to fax this document or will I have to mail it?

Contrah
04-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Make sure its in an open space, and buy a fan for it.

Jdm
04-13-2009, 07:30 PM
What sometimes people forget to recognize is that the PSU (power brick) plays a role in how your console acts. Always make sure to keep the brick in a well ventilated area, just like you would with the 360. I would definitely try another PSU to see what happens.

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
04-13-2009, 07:49 PM
My 360 is about 30cm away from the PSU, 30cm away from the roof of my TV stand and about 1 metre away from anything around the TV stand. Its an open TV stand back and forward and Ive used it with the 360 in this setup for about 1 year + half.

I had a fan and stopped using it about 2 years ago as its crazy loud and I read it can be bad for the 360. I used it when this overheating started and it didnt change anything so I gave up with using it.

KNUCKS x360a
04-13-2009, 07:55 PM
My Elite recently did something similar, shutting down - 2 red lights, overheated...
Even when i left it off (&cooled it) for 24 hours as recommended on Xbox.com, still the same.
I had to call them up in the end, they said it was the 'motherboard' & took it in to be fixed (again!) but its been fine since!....

might not be power related as such...?!

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
04-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Hmmmm but they dont cover it do they with the extended warranty so I would have to pay most likely. Is it expensive? Im not too sure if it would be worth doing or not.

Does anyone know the answer to the data question I posted below the main post as well?

Cheers for the posts so far.

Jdm
04-13-2009, 11:36 PM
My Elite recently did something similar, shutting down - 2 red lights, overheated...
Even when i left it off (&cooled it) for 24 hours as recommended on Xbox.com, still the same.
I had to call them up in the end, they said it was the 'motherboard' & took it in to be fixed (again!) but its been fine since!....

might not be power related as such...?!

It could be the heatsink on the board that caused it to overheat.

Hmmmm but they dont cover it do they with the extended warranty so I would have to pay most likely. Is it expensive? Im not too sure if it would be worth doing or not.

Does anyone know the answer to the data question I posted below the main post as well?

Cheers for the posts so far.

I'm sure you would have to pay out of pocket for repairs. If you could get your console to Red Ring, then that's a different story.;)

If you complete the form, you'll have to send it in to MS. When I filled out my form, I had the option to fax it to them as well. I don't see a fax number on the form you provided.

After about a week or two, my Migration Kit arrived. MS doesn't transfer your data for you. Using the kit, you'll be able to transfer ALL data from your original 20GB HDD, to the new bigger HDD.

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
04-13-2009, 11:44 PM
It could be the heatsink on the board that caused it to overheat.

I'm sure you would have to pay out of pocket for repairs. If you could get your console to Red Ring, then that's a different story.;)

If you complete the form, you'll have to send it in to MS. When I filled out my form, I had the option to fax it to them as well. I don't see a fax number on the form you provided.

After about a week or two, my Migration Kit arrived. MS doesn't transfer your data for you. Using the kit, you'll be able to transfer ALL data from your original 20GB HDD, to the new bigger HDD.

Legend, cheers for that mate. Yeah I was wondering where the fax number was, I will email them whilst I wait for my new console about the fax number so I can get that done quicker.

Cheers again, that should be solved now.

I will probably just keep my old console, transfer the data when I can and then box up my old 360 and say good bye lol.

Jdm
04-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Legend, cheers for that mate. Yeah I was wondering where the fax number was, I will email them whilst I wait for my new console about the fax number so I can get that done quicker.

Cheers again, that should be solved now.

I will probably just keep my old console, transfer the data when I can and then box up my old 360 and say good bye lol.

You're welcome! Glad I could help.:)

Just remember that the kit only works for transferring data from a 20GB HDD to either a 60 or 120GB HDD.;)