PDA

View Full Version : I dont get game reviewers and reviews

hoggys2much
04-14-2009, 09:37 AM
I dont get what it is with game reviewers and game reviews. What I dont get is this, 2 different games companies could release say a tactical 3rd person shooter yet 1 game is given great reviews but the other 1 is given terrible reviews even though the games are basically identical. A great example I can give you is this, I have got a game called Sonic Unleashed and in it you go a character called Sonic The Werehog and when you are him you go around punching and comboing the enemies that appear. Now I am getting a game called Kung Fu Panda because it comes free with my new control pad that I have ordered, and on Saturday night I downloaded the demo of it to see what it was like and as I played it I was thinking to my self this is almost identical to the gameplay of the Werehog stages of Unleashed. You just go around punching things. Yet Panda gets good write ups and Sonic got terrible write ups. What? Why? How do reviews work?

N-Forced
04-14-2009, 09:47 AM
in the end its all what the reviewers opinion is, i generally dont go off of one review; if there's a game im looking forward to i usually check out at least 4 reviews from credible sources ie: game trailers, gamespot, 1up etc. and usually if they all come to a consensus that the game is flawed i'll usually hold off from buying it and just rent instead unless the game is totally broken then i'll just skip it entirely.

iKiddo
04-14-2009, 09:54 AM
http://www.metacritic.com/

Exhausted Dad
04-14-2009, 01:32 PM
What I used to do was check alot of different review sites and see what they said and after awhile you can start to tell which ones reflect what you like. For me I like Game Informer, Planet Xbox and our site here. I also know a guy at one of the local Gamestops and he likes alot of the same kind of games. But if there is a game you have really been looking forward to by all means get it don't let some reviewer talk you out of it. You could think of several games you like and go check some reviews and see which ones you agree with. I recommend the ones above but there are probably a 100 just Google. Hope that helps.

The Pants Party
04-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Just because the basic game mechanic is the same, doesn't mean the games should score anywhere near each other. There are many different things that go into a final score. Camera issues, graphics, soundtrack, control scheme, storyline, basic enjoyment factor, etc. etc...

You can't just say 50 cent and Halo 3 are both shooters, so they should have the same score, ya know?

Brian Fantana x360a
04-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Just because the basic game mechanic is the same, doesn't mean the games should score anywhere near each other. There are many different things that go into a final score. Camera issues, graphics, soundtrack, control scheme, storyline, basic enjoyment factor, etc. etc...

You can't just say 50 cent and Halo 3 are both shooters, so they should have the same score, ya know?

Agreed, 50 Cent is way better than Halo :)

velho lobodomar
04-14-2009, 01:48 PM
what i don´t get about them, is that they´re getting too hard on reviews. seeing an 8.0 or plus review on a game is becoming extremely rare.

i prefer to read reviews on sites that are not specialized in it. sites like gamespot, ign, eurogamer, etc, just give good reviews to blockbusters.

Slormer
04-14-2009, 05:58 PM
seeing an 8.0 or plus review on a game is becoming extremely rare.

I think this has to do with the mass produced shitty games that aren't innovative or polished, and the lack of new, quality, replayable games, not the reviewers being harder on games. If anything, they are being easier IMO. Quite a few games are scoring insanely high when they shouldn't be. *CoughHalo3Cough*

Kez
04-14-2009, 07:36 PM
It took me a while to get used to the ratings in Game Informer..but now I completely understand:
1-4 = Broken piece of crap, avoid at all costs
5-8 = I'll probably enjoy it!
9-10 = Mainstream, over-hyped garbage that I'll prolly regret buying

Of course, there are exceptions every now and then, but that's just my general view of those guys (since I have a subscription to their mag)

Juzt Skillz
04-14-2009, 07:39 PM
http://www.metacritic.com/

Ya this is the best site for checking review. It can get up to 30+ Reviews for one game and tells you the average for it.

velho lobodomar
04-14-2009, 07:47 PM
I think this has to do with the mass produced shitty games that aren't innovative or polished, and the lack of new, quality, replayable games, not the reviewers being harder on games. If anything, they are being easier IMO. Quite a few games are scoring insanely high when they shouldn't be. *CoughHalo3Cough*

yes, maybe you´re right. but i still don´t agree with games getting around 2,5 or 3,0 on gamespot, like the godfather II or stormrise. i am yet to play these but i just can´t believe they deserve those rates. i am not saying they deserve and 8+, but at least 5, or 6 maybe?

and i agree, quite a few games hyped games are scoring insanely high, and they´re the only ones that get above 8 most of the time.

DigitalFury
04-15-2009, 01:27 AM
So, the basic premise of two games being the same should net them the same score? So, Two Worlds is the same quality as Oblivion and deserves the same score because they're the same genre?

Seriously, the reason you're not seeing as many 8's, 9's and 10's is because games are being remade, rehashed and no developers are taking chances. Personally, I don't blame them; when fantastic games like Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts, Killer 7, Okami and innovative games like Mirror's Edge (Pains me to say because it was published by EA) are falling by the wayside, companies aren't going to spend the money to develop them. Publishers certainly aren't going to forward the cash to developers to allow them to try creating something off the beaten path and risk not making a profit. So, what you're seeing are companies making carbon copies of successful IP's because they will sell at least enough to make their money back before word spreads that the game is terrible.

As gamers, we're being spoon fed shit and eating it with a smile while shelling out $60(U.S) on games that aren't even the quality of a lot of the games from the 16 bit era. You know how we stop the rubbish? We need to support developers who actually create games that are worth playing; don't cry about a lack of innovation and then ignore every game that is released that isn't the norm.

You want to see an influx of 8+ scores? Demand from the developers a product that is worthy of our hard earned money. Demand from the publisher the time for developers to see their dream game completed and not just rushed to shelves to hit in time for the holiday rush, I would gladly wait 3 or 4 extra months for a game that will blow my mind rather than have a game now that is underwhelming. Demand from the GIANT developers to stop pushing out a new game once a year just to milk the cash cow (*Eyes shift, yet again, to EA*).

We DESERVE quality for our money.

exo-apollo
04-15-2009, 02:25 AM
I personally think that score based ratings should be trashed altogether. Reviewers should just state their case and make their pro's and con's. No need to distil it all into a number.

StolenKyle/
04-15-2009, 02:31 AM
www.gametrailers.com

there reviews are excellent.

Rugger X
04-15-2009, 02:41 AM
I personally think that score based ratings should be trashed altogether. Reviewers should just state their case and make their pro's and con's. No need to distil it all into a number.

You said it dude. A review should say what the game does well and what it doesn't do well. It should say you'll enjoy this game if... and you won't enjoy this game if... and just say what type of gamer would enjoy that game.

I'm personally sick of reviewers that review games that aren't in the genre's they usually play, I feel like you get a bad review if the person writing it doesn't usually play games of that type.

I go to ign and metacritic for a start but I usually also like to check out what you guys here have to say about games before I spend good money on them.

DENAz666
04-15-2009, 02:46 AM
In the end, reviews are based on opinions, so they will always differ.

Best bet is to check multiple reviews, and then judge for yourself. I personally don't let reviews judge what games i buy, i read them, but even if a game gets a bad score i'll still give it a shot if i think i'll like it.

gatorbait
04-15-2009, 03:18 AM
There's a lot more that differentiates games than just the basic concept behind it. Reviewers take into consideration the graphics, sound, playability, glitches, length, etc. NBA Live and NBA 2k are both basketball games but ask anyone who has played both series over the past few years and they'll tell you they definitely aren't as good as one another.

EOU Findub
04-15-2009, 03:40 AM
I was going to stay out of this one being on the review team here but there does need to be some clarity. I have had multiple people question the scores I give the games I have reviewed. A few have even argued that Fracture should have been given at LEAST an 80 (if you have played it, you would know what I am talking about). However, I AM going to say this. It is a single person's opinion. Ultimately, it is your decision as a gamer whether or not to shell out the money for it.

Take this for example: If I give a game a fairly high score, you go out an buy it based on my opinion only and end up hating it, don't blame it on me because I enjoyed it. My taste in games is/could be much different than yours. The reason you see such a difference in scores sometimes could be based on a number of factors. If they were forced to play something outside of what they typically play, not used to the controls, angry when they were playing, etc. could affect the overall score. In extreme cases make it so much different than it is outside the average.

We have some great reviewers here, some that really dedicate themselves to putting out a great review for you to be informed about whether not a game is a real turd (all the review team is great don't get me wrong).

Not to go OP or anything, but there is a reason that every time I have signed onto Halo 3 there are at least 100,000 people playing at that particular time. If you were basing the score strictly on Single Player, then you might have an argument. You don't get such a wildly high volume and NOT deserve a low score.

BigFellaJake
04-15-2009, 10:39 AM
I have given up with reviews and just watch the game play videos to get a better idea of what the game is like and if I'll like it or not.

jackanape
04-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Put simply there will ALWAYS be someone out there that will enjoy any game - regardless of how well it reviews or whether the general consensus dictates that it is a steaming pile. So a review is never going to be definitive.

What a review should do, and I try to do, is point out any issues/flaws that you might experience while playing the game and also highlight any innovations that might draw you into the experience.

A review is basically there to dexcribe what you might reasonably expect when you play the game and then it's up to you to decide whether or not the pros outweigh the cons.

Tenacious
04-15-2009, 12:20 PM
There's nothing I hate more than when a game reviewing site gives a game a 7/10. Brings my piss to a boil.

IMO, game review sites should just state if the game is good or bad. Then I'll know if I want to buy it or not, but a 7/10 is like a big question mark :\

Jetpac
04-15-2009, 01:16 PM
As a reviewer myself over at http://www.xboxlivearcade.com (http://www.xboxlivearcade.com/) i can agree with most of the riposte statements in this thread.

Just because it has the same style of play does not by any means that games should score the same. Games have completely different mechanics, combo systems, responsiveness, graphics, Playability, value, glitches, level of polish, voice acting, multi-player, variety etc etc..

There are just SO many variables in there that affect the score and feeling about a game. Of course it is all obviously subject to individual opinion, which is why i would never advise getting a game based on one reviewer's opinion (unless you seem to have the same tastes as that one guy, and even then i would still look around) instead using somewhere like Metacritic which will give you an overall more rounded opinion of a game.

Overall i tend to ignore "mainstream" reviewers (IGN, Gamespot etc.) instead opting for independants and individuals as they tend to be far less jaded regarding games. As in general apart from the odd couple the only high scoring games are the mass publicised popular games (i.e. COD, GTA (which was aweful) and Halo). Alot of times people dont even take the time to play the game through and find out about the different modes and how it plays, and that REALLY irks me. thats why in my reviews i play the game as much as i can to get a better opinion.

At the end of the day you have to judge for yourself. If you like Sonic unleased (i think its HORRIBLE, but thats me) then thats great you have something you enjoy. Reviews are only there in order to give people a pointer as to what may be good for them. But its all down to you my friend.

Jetpac
04-15-2009, 01:18 PM
There's nothing I hate more than when a game reviewing site gives a game a 7/10. Brings my piss to a boil.

IMO, game review sites should just state if the game is good or bad. Then I'll know if I want to buy it or not, but a 7/10 is like a big question mark :

If you don't know why it deserves a 7 then the review is written badly and not concluded/summarised properly. So i would look elsewhere for opinions.

Tsaako
04-15-2009, 01:29 PM
I dont listen to reviews 1 bit. I also dont buy a game on release date (rare occasion that i do)

If i hear bad things said about games by multiple gamers then i'd go onto youtube and check trailers, gameplay footage and decide for myself.

It is a rare occasion for a game to get anything more than a 8.5 or 9. Everyones different but no matter what we all think, there isn't a "perfect game".

But if ya like me and play through any game, finding it good and then eventually get stuck or die i'll find anything to ran about it. :p

Bieest Unit
04-15-2009, 05:08 PM
I ignore reviews and only read them to see what the hell has gotten into their minds this time. Most of the time, someone's review is totally against mine. Even if they grade it the same as I would, their story on how they got to that grade is still totally different.

I sometimes really wonder who the hell could have been writing that review. As if they didn't play the game, or played another version or part of the series.
Anyway, I judge games by what I think of them, not because what others think of them.

MesoZombie
04-15-2009, 05:14 PM
I do not follow reviews and wish more people took my stance
Too many great games have been trashed b/c the reviewer had a big bug up his butt

if you need proof look at lots of the wii games that get reviewed, sure that system has tons of trash but some of the gems get reviewed by people that in the same paragraph that say its awesome say well it would have been better if so and so on the xbox or so and so on the ps3

Another big problem is the hype level of the game

look at GTA 4—that game is buggy as hell and very much the same old same old, yet tons of people were slapping 10s on it if only b/c it was a GTA game and had a huge following

Or halo 3—another buggy as hell with a crappy single player story b/c the des rushed it to make sure the multiplayer was great

Yet it got 10s as if that was the only number available…

Reviewers any more are jokes

Bax x360a
04-15-2009, 05:20 PM

IMO, game review sites should just state if the game is good or bad. Then I'll know if I want to buy it or not, but a 7/10 is like a big question mark : Sorry mate, but that's ridiculous. A game can be fun to play whilst having a few problems at the same time. Every game has positive and negative points and therefore can easily be rated a 7/10 - Not every game is terrible or amazing, there are inbetween games aswell ;)

jackanape
04-15-2009, 05:34 PM
I do not follow reviews and wish more people took my stance
Too many great games have been trashed b/c the reviewer had a big bug up his butt

if you need proof look at lots of the wii games that get reviewed, sure that system has tons of trash but some of the gems get reviewed by people that in the same paragraph that say its awesome say well it would have been better if so and so on the xbox or so and so on the ps3

Another big problem is the hype level of the game

look at GTA 4—that game is buggy as hell and very much the same old same old, yet tons of people were slapping 10s on it if only b/c it was a GTA game and had a huge following

Or halo 3—another buggy as hell with a crappy single player story b/c the des rushed it to make sure the multiplayer was great

Yet it got 10s as if that was the only number available…

Reviewers any more are jokes

Saying that great games are trashed because the reviewer 'had a big bug up his butt' is hardly constructive. If you could at least provide some kind of example then maybe I'd take you seriously.

If you take a look at something like metacritic or even the aggregate readers score on this site, then you would see that most peoples opinions fall very much in line with reviews in general. The only reason those scores tend to be lower is because haters will go and give a game 1% just to drag the overall down. I know it happens - hell, I've done it myself in the past (for films though)

The fact is that games like GTA and Halo sell by the bucketload and the vast majority of people love those games. You only have to look at the success of the GTA DLC recently and the ongoing population of Halo online to se ethey are still going strong. How many other games can claim the same?

The fact is that individual people are always going to disagree with any review for ANY game. But saying reviewers are a joke is a bit of an insult, especailly when you are basing that opinion on two of the best selling and most popular titles on the 360 - hardly backing up your own point there.

I know some games may well get a rough time, but overall it will even out.

ThrawnOmega
04-15-2009, 06:18 PM

We do state our case and discuss the pros and cons. That's what all those words above the scoring box are. The number at the bottom is an index, the body of the review is the important part. Don't like a scoring system? Read the review, ignore the score:p

I'm personally sick of reviewers that review games that aren't in the genre's they usually play, I feel like you get a bad review if the person writing it doesn't usually play games of that type.

I can't speak for other sites, but we're pretty good about making sure people who review the games know the genre. That's why I'll probably never review a sports or music game.

IMO, game review sites should just state if the game is good or bad. Then I'll know if I want to buy it or not, but a 7/10 is like a big question mark :

Read the body of the review! Games can have pros and cons that take from the fun, meaning everyone could have a different level of fun with them. Thus, the game will get a mid-range score. Based on what people say, it's then up to you to decide whether a game is good or not.

I LOL at people who ignore reviews. We're not almighty, and we're not always right (for you), but that's no reason to ignore reviews entirely. Just take them with a grain of salt.

elephantd
04-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Reviews are opinions, i don't buy games off other people's opinions. I buy games based on storyline and trailers. I haven't once purchased a game because it got a great rating, for example GTA4 i had purchased every GTA game before this, but after watching gameplay videos and seeing how realiastic the game was i knew it wasen't me. I really hope GTA5 takes a step back in realism, i mean come on changing the lights in a care seriously, but thats just me.
________
Free joomla themes (http://themesfree.org)
________
Abbie cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Abbie)

M a r K
04-15-2009, 09:52 PM
How can u not get it it tells you about the game