PDA

View Full Version : Donate MSP... How?

Evil Demon55
04-15-2009, 04:38 AM
So I heard you can send lke 1000 MSP to a friend if you have a credit card on you account and stuff.... is this true? I mean wouldn't be so good, because if you got hacked, you are screwed! But then again, report it and Microsoftcould see who got the points, and then know who hacked the account...

But if this is possible, how do you do it?

xBeLikeChris
04-15-2009, 04:59 AM
Currently the only way I know how to "donate" MSP would be to buy a code off of Amazon and gift it to a buddy. Other than that I'm sure there is no other way.

megamangaea
04-15-2009, 05:15 AM
You used to be able to through the ms points website a couple years back, but due to abuse you can't anymore.

Evil Demon55
04-15-2009, 09:24 AM
They took it away.. sucks.

If I were to buy a code, would it be cool to just send the code to them? and vise versa... Like they give to me/i give to them for helping me boost, and we're good friends.

Would it be safe to enter any random code? Codes cannot harm your account right?

Cause I might give a friend of mine who is outa this country some MSP for being extremly helpful, and in the future, he might do the same for me, but I want to know, can I accept any code given to me? Like if I enter a bad code, will MS know and bann me? Like it was a "setup" code to catch hackers or what not?

Is there such codes?

gamerguy69
04-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Microsoft points codes are region locked. Example: You aren't able to purchase a card here and send the code to a friend in Canada. I know their card denominations are different as well. I've seen 1400 and 2800 for Canada whereas U.S. has 1600 and 4000 point cards.

I'm not sure how UK amounts are set up.

I don't see how a "random" code could hurt your account. It could either work (ha ha, yeah right . . . like hitting the lottery!!!) or you just get the INVALID CODE error message.

Tsaako
04-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Microsoft points codes are region locked. Example: You aren't able to purchase a card here and send the code to a friend in Canada. I know their card denominations are different as well. I've seen 1400 and 2800 for Canada whereas U.S. has 1600 and 4000 point cards.

I'm not sure how UK amounts are set up.

I don't see how a "random" code could hurt your account. It could either work (ha ha, yeah right . . . like hitting the lottery!!!) or you just get the INVALID CODE error message.

UK sells 2100 and 4200 point cards.

WhineyRabbit
04-15-2009, 02:02 PM
And the reason you can't use a different regions code is because of how screwed up taxing is in this world.
Still can't believe we pay tax on a piece of card with 25 digits on.

martin88
04-15-2009, 02:08 PM
And the reason you can't use a different regions code is because of how screwed up taxing is in this world.
Welcome to the system of gubmint. If it's yours, it's ours now!

Glowin Smurff
04-15-2009, 04:52 PM

i don't remember, but i don't think we pay tax on that here, maybe i'm wrong, but i think it's considered a 'gift card' in this state, and those are taxless.

i'll pay attention next time i buy one though :)

gamerguy69
04-15-2009, 08:15 PM
i don't remember, but i don't think we pay tax on that here, maybe i'm wrong, but i think it's considered a 'gift card' in this state, and those are taxless.

i'll pay attention next time i buy one though :)

I've paid taxes on all the points I've purchased through the dashboard. Now with the Amazon LIVE store, I hear that you don't pay taxes on those. I have yet to use the Amazon store but that sounds about right. I don't recall paying taxes on other purchases (books, CDs, etc.) I've made through Amazon.

Evil Demon55
04-15-2009, 09:09 PM
I pay taxes on cards.

Also, if I were to get like a UK card, I could just send the code over to my friend.... like I buy it off Amazon.co.uk or whatever URL thing is.

This is tad off topic, but if I made a Canadian account for their free DLC stuff, and some of their games they only have in Canada, would I have to buy a Canadian points card?

gamerguy69
04-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Also, if I were to get like a UK card, I could just send the code over to my friend.... like I buy it off Amazon.co.uk or whatever URL thing is.

Have you looked into Amazon.uk's international shipping rates? I was thinking of getting a friend some MSP through the Canadian Amazon but it'd end up costing me so much. There are also some shipping restrictions whereas some items aren't able to be shipped internationally. MSP cards might fall into this category -- but I'm not certain.

dark lord me
04-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Yah it sucks you cant share points with people. I guess its so people dont go all like "Help me and ill give you 80 ms points" and not give it and get pissed at MS

Mister Buds
04-16-2009, 01:11 AM

what? i've never paid tax on my points. i always get 1600 for $19.99.

CyanideBreathMint
04-16-2009, 01:34 AM
This is tad off topic, but if I made a Canadian account for their free DLC stuff, and some of their games they only have in Canada, would I have to buy a Canadian points card?
We have no free games on our Marketplace (edit: that the US doesn't already have themselves), but maybe a few gamerpics, that's all. Same with the UK Marketplace. It's the rest of the world that's making US accounts to grab all the US Marketplace content that's free there. :p

The only reason you'd need Canadian MSP cards is if you'd want to purchase something there, same with any country.

Evil Demon55
04-16-2009, 02:01 AM
Ok, so If I were to have a Mexican, Canadian, UK, ect... account, I would need the specific point card for that account, even if I am on an American Xbox?

Glowin Smurff
04-16-2009, 02:06 AM
yes, points = region locked, different region accounts = specific region points.

probably has something to do w/ exchange rates.

Evil Demon55
04-16-2009, 02:36 AM
Lame... I guess I could still go to their amazon.com and get it and ship it to me, or could just put their address down and ship to them... but who gives their address away nowadays.

CyanideBreathMint
04-16-2009, 02:37 AM
Ok, so If I were to have a Mexican, Canadian, UK, ect... account, I would need the specific point card for that account, even if I am on an American Xbox?
Yes. Oh, and you're welcome. :p

Evil Demon55
04-17-2009, 06:29 AM
Another reason I wanted to know this is because, let's say you played a game with a cheater (like a Gamesaver) and he used a code for a free XBLA game, then he gives you the same code... if you are to enter it, wouldn't the Xbox Live cheater detector see you entered the same code as a cheater, then assume you were the cheater as well?

megamangaea
04-17-2009, 07:45 AM

Canada is in the same region as the US, I use US points all the time, the only problem I've had is the 50 point promotional one.