PDA

View Full Version : Disc Reading Error

The Current
04-15-2009, 10:00 PM
So I bought my Xbox 360 3 years ago this month and everything has been fine... Until I bought Mass Effect and COD5 pre-owned. Mass effect would come up with unable to read disc error in the cut-scene after level one and the same error would come up during online games in COD5. I guessed the discs were scratched so I swapped them for two other ones and im having the same problem in the same place in the games. Has anyone experience this before and if so if it the actual hardware (I guess so) and is this covered under the 3 year warranty or is it for RROD only?

Thanks in advance!

Kamakazi Pear
04-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Hmm, I've never personally had this, but a friend of mine has. His fixed itself though and the games became playable again. Is it just for these 2 games, or every game you play?

Only RRoD and E74 are covered under 3 yrs warranty, everything else is 1 yr. I'd probably wait it out for a bit longer, test some more games and see the extent of this problem before taking action, as without warranty it could cost... Alot.

Good luck! :)

M a r K
04-16-2009, 12:03 AM
clean it or check for scratch

spinflux
04-16-2009, 02:00 AM
Tried installing to the HDD? Granted it doesnt solve the problem but you can probably avoid it :p

The Current
04-16-2009, 07:12 AM
I've installed both COD5 and Mass Effect to the HDD and this hasn't resolved the problem. I dont think its the discs as I said I have tried two discs of the same game and get the same problem. I think its either the XBOX huffing out its last few breaths of life or maybe the game being downloaded to the HDD or the game save (not the cheating type!) is corrupted.

Kamakazi Pear
04-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Well it can't be the disc then, as you wouldn't have been able to install the games to your HDD if there was a problem with it. So I'm guessing Xbox.

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
04-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Its a common problem of late and isnt covered by Microsoft. My 360 had it before it started overheating alot and today my new 360 should come lol.... Mine is just like yours pretty much being 3 years old as well. Mine initially fixed itself but like I said its now having over heating problems and I cant play retail games only arcade games.

My mate has the problem but he has it in its worst case which is when it will never read a disc no matter how long you spend opening and closing the disc tray and so he is screwed so to speak but mine wasnt that bad and fixed itself but its had to be replaced due to further errors.