PDA

View Full Version : And mine has finally died.

xfrancox
12-08-2006, 05:40 PM
My 360 has finally decided to die on me. I got it on launch day and just the other day got a hardware failure. 3 wonderful red sections. Damn. I tried it a few times and thought I was ok because I was able to watch a movie. But now it wont come on at all. This couldnt happen at a more inconvenient time because Im moving soon. How annoying, haha. Sorry to my GSL team, and to all the people who will not get to enjoy the glee of playing with yours truly.

Crash
12-08-2006, 05:42 PM
That sucks. It's amazing how many people I know have had 360s go bad. Are you going to wait to replace it til after you move?

Waaaaaaaak
12-08-2006, 05:43 PM
Really sorry to hear that man. You must be gutted!

The amount of people who have had them die is very worrying. Will there be any original units left by Dec 07?

xfrancox
12-08-2006, 05:43 PM
That sucks. It's amazing how many people I know have had 360s go bad. Are you going to wait to replace it til after you move?

Yea probably. I dont want to deal with having to send it out and have them send it to my new address and what not.

Which reminds me, for those of you who have gone through this before, what can I expect? Whats the best option for me right now.

L3giOn
12-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Out of all the horror stories I've heard, I can't believe mine hasn't died yet too. Sorry to hear about that Franco, but like you said, at least you're moving so maybe you'll get your new one right about the time you get settled in.

Webb
12-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Sorry to hear that fella :(

Minty's went down and out earlier as well :eek:

So how does it work after the warranty runs out? Does it cost a lot? For future reference :p

Crash
12-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Which reminds me, for those of you who have gone through this before, what can I expect? Whats the best option for me right now.
I just called their 800 number and told them what my system was doing. They had me try a few things like taking the HDD off and making sure it was plugged in properly. They then gave me an address to ship the system to (only the system, no HDD or cables) and told me it would take up to 5 business days to send it, or another one, back upon recieving it. They also said they would send updates through my e-mail. They got it on a Monday and sent me a different one on Tuesday (even though they didn't e-mail me about it until Friday). All together I sent it and got it back in about 10 days time.

xfrancox
12-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Damn you guys reply quick, haha. Yea Im not too worried about it right now I guess since I have a lot on my plate at the moment. Im moving, then I have to find a place of my own, then a job, and I have to get settled in. So playing 360 isnt at the top of my list right now, but It does suck to think about it.

I remember reading somewhere that repairs for all 360s before a certain date would be free of charge. And Im sure Im before that date since I got it on launch day. Im not sure though if that still stands if your warranty is up.

Crash
12-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Damn you guys reply quick, haha. Yea Im not too worried about it right now I guess since I have a lot on my plate at the moment. Im moving, then I have to find a place of my own, then a job, and I have to get settled in. So playing 360 isnt at the top of my list right now, but It does suck to think about it.

I remember reading somewhere that repairs for all 360s before a certain date would be free of charge. And Im sure Im before that date since I got it on launch day. Im not sure though if that still stands if your warranty is up.

EDIT: Went back and checked. They extended the warranty for all systems purchased before Jan 1, 2006

Webb
12-08-2006, 06:01 PM
EDIT: Went back and checked. They extended the warranty for all systems purchased before Jan 1, 2006

When did they extend it to? And was that just North America or Europe as well?

Im a Manatee
12-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Well, that stinks. Mine crapped out, I cured it with the magic of a swiffer handheld, my mouth, and plugging it into the wall. After that, good as new!!

Crash
12-08-2006, 06:11 PM
I went back and checked the article again and it looks like they did a 1 year extension to the warranties. I didn't see anything about what all countries this applies to though. You can read the article here: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/734/734126p1.html

The Killer 47
12-08-2006, 06:15 PM
That's good to know. Luckily I haven't had any problems with my 360 that I got last December. (knock on wood)

Webb
12-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Cheers Crash :D Looks like mine is safe for another year then :cool:.... I hope :p

Waaaaaaaak
12-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Cheers Crash :D Looks like mine is safe for another year then :cool:.... I hope :p

Don' think that's what they agreed to.

In the US the warranty was only a couple of months or so, unless you paid extra for the two year one. Microsoft have extended that short warranty to a year from date of purchase, if your console was manufactured before Jan 06.

However, in the UK we all got 1 year warranties, so if it breaks now, we're screwed! :(

IMportdreams95
12-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Sorry to hear about that franco.

I think im going to be sending mine in just because. I heard for the people who got theirs before Jan 1st, 2006 they extended the warrentys. Im not sure when that ends, but it would have to be soon. I dont want to pass that up and then it take a shit on me, so i may as well send it in now.

Does anyone know when the warrenty extensions are up?

oVo Pandora oVo
12-08-2006, 09:47 PM
yeah mine hasn't died died like my first one did . I just can't play any games lol I got annoyed yesterday and went out and bought another one. When I looked on the back of the 2nd one they sent me was manufactured before 06 so I plan on calling them, maybe they will give me a new one, at least fix it for free. 3rd xbox in a year :( terrible defective rate would be curious what it is world wide. But when I called I them I got their box the next day, they replaced in got one back in less then a week. Overall should take less then 2 weeks. At least my xbox odds are improving, first one dies less then 2 months after buying it, 2nd one dies 10 months lol

Tracker4502
12-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Well, I just got mine back from the service center, and here are the facts you wanted:

To fix your X-Box (no warranty): 40 US dollars
Time they say it will take (at max): 14 BUSINESS days
What to send: Only the actually X-Box, nothing else
What you will get: If they return your actual x-box instead of giving you a new one, sometimes they give a free HDD.
What NOT to do: Put anything that says "Microsoft" or "XBox" on the package. They have the right to keep your broken XBox and not give you a replacement if you do.:eek:

Hope that helped, but the business day thing will kill you since Christmas is approaching fact, which means massive amounts of vacation.

Waaaaaaaak
12-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Import: The linked ign.com article suggests that boxes manufactured in 05 get a full year's warranty from the date of purchase.

Korix
12-09-2006, 04:34 AM
Don't worry, I'll make sure our team still has a Franco contributing points to the bucket.

To all you others, yes, I am a Franco too, on the same GSL team. I don't have a clue who ^that guy^ is though.

I wonder if this makes me part of this 'nFo' thing going on. I already had my own plans on taking over the world. This could be a problem...

Minty
12-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Sorry to hear that fella...

Had exactly the same thing happen to me. 3 red lights, but leave it for an hour and it would work fine for games. No probems at all with DVDs.

Left it for a week, got a few hours on ive and then it went to 3 red lights permanently- error code 0021. Now i have to wait 10-15 working days for my replacement- so that aint gonna be this year :(

Xterm1n8or
12-09-2006, 03:08 PM
hey minty I had the exact same problem with my 360 in Nov. (0021). They said 10-15 business days but i got it back in 4, so expect to get yoursback before the end of the year! And besides, it wasn't mine they sent back, they just sent me a brand new one :woop:. Sorry to hear about your 360 xfrancox.

slowpantz
12-09-2006, 03:23 PM
sorry to hear bout' your 360 mate :(

RedBlinky
12-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Mine hasn't died yet and I've had it since launch but sometimes when I pop a game in it randomly shows a bunch of words in Japanese and wont play but its not frequent enough for me to care.

MATTUMUZ
12-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Damn, that's well unlucky dude!

I'm still on my first one which I bought about 2 weeks after launch day and knowing my luck it will explode the day after the warranty runs out! LOL!

Thx
MATTUMUZ

Minty
12-09-2006, 05:06 PM
hey minty I had the exact same problem with my 360 in Nov. (0021). They said 10-15 business days but i got it back in 4, so expect to get yoursback before the end of the year! And besides, it wasn't mine they sent back, they just sent me a brand new one :woop:. Sorry to hear about your 360 xfrancox.

Thats cool. COuriers are picking it up on Monday, so hopefully wont be too long.
And getting a new one is a result :D

When you receive yur nex xbox, does your years warranty start again???

Blind Fool
12-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Thats cool. COuriers are picking it up on Monday, so hopefully wont be too long.
And getting a new one is a result :D

When you receive yur nex xbox, does your years warranty start again???From what I know it doesnt, same deal on most warranties which sucks...

Mine crapped out today, but since I "got it" from Game they swap them in store for the whole year for people, so thats me covered... now I just need the reciept

Minty
12-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Yeah got mine from Game but havent got a scooby where the receipt went.

Looks like a lot fo them are dieing around the end of the warrenty :S

bevan3423
12-11-2006, 04:34 AM
I know when i sent mine in, after 6 months it died, i send it in and in about a week they sent me another. The only thing that sucked is that it was not mine. It was someone else that had the same problem. So the one i got had a few scrathes and the time is wrong on it. I never tryed to fix it. But overall not to bad.

Subject_Me
12-11-2006, 05:11 PM
hey sorry to hear about your xbox, mine started scartching the cds and now its total f**ked havent got on to them about it yet though.

Blind Fool
12-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Got mine swapped in game today for the 2nd time despite never buying it from there in the first place :D

Also managed to wrangle another 12 months warranty since mine would run out soon at no charge and a vision cam for a mere 7.50 out of them, not bad for 20 mins work :)

Knuckles Dawson
12-12-2006, 04:14 PM
The one I got on the 22nd is still working alright, but unfortunately it's starting to take it's sweet precious time to start up so, I'm getting a little wary, and we all know how important to having a working 360 is on any given day.

Waaaaaaaak
12-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Got mine swapped in game today for the 2nd time despite never buying it from there in the first place :D

Also managed to wrangle another 12 months warranty since mine would run out soon at no charge and a vision cam for a mere 7.50 out of them, not bad for 20 mins work :)

Nice work. Certainly pays knowing the system then.

If mine breaks, you're taking it back for me :p ;)

ScottEvil30
12-14-2006, 12:07 AM
sorry for the foul language but jesus fucking christ.

mine has decided that the disc drive does not want to close. if i close it it just opens again. even if i turn the power off. i am so fucking angry right now.

ScottEvil30
12-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Well, after a TWO HOUR phone battle with Microsoft and Woolworths I now have a replacement 360 sitting in front of me. Finally got Woolworths to replace it.

Microsoft told me it would take 15 working days to get it back if I sent it to them. And heh my response wasn't polite.

Bopher1
12-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Im happy I invested $40... well $80 actually to protect my 360.. I replaced my Launch one in July.... and it looks like I will replace this one today or tomorrow.. since yesterday, it decided to not want to play games... Yet, I can watch DVDs...

xfrancox
12-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Thought I'd post an update. I just got off the phone with XBOX, and I basically told them I had the 3 red lights and I bought it on launch day. I gave them my serial, and they took my info. They are sending me a box and I am to send the console back, no cords or HD. They didn't say anything about charging me so.... Awesome! Hahaha. Sorry Webb.

Webb
12-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Congrats fella.... Or should I say, congrats you bastard :p

At least Microsoft treat some people fairly :D

xfrancox
12-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Congrats fella.... Or should I say, congrats you bastard :p

At least Microsoft treat some people fairly :D

Yea, the important people. ;)

Webb
12-30-2006, 08:57 PM
lollerskates :p