PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Point Transfering

Revolver
04-17-2009, 02:42 AM
Ok, so right now I'm facing a huge dilemma because I bought a MS points card but for some reason on my console it says that the code is not valid.

So this is what I'm planning to do, I just need confirmation if this is actually possible:

I'm going to give my MS point card to a friend and if he is successfull at redeeming the card then he will have downloaded 1,500 MS points onto his profile on his own Xbox 360 console at his house
Then, I'm going to try to recover his gamer tag/profile on my own console at my house.
This is the big question: Will those 1,500 MS points that were downloaded at his house be available when I recover his profile on my console???:confused:

Glowin Smurff
04-17-2009, 02:47 AM
yes, but why not just make a 2nd profile on your 360 and add them to it? and are you sure your inputing the code correctly?

the code will tell him not valid as well, if he inputs it the same as you.

Jdm
04-17-2009, 02:47 AM
On a side note, you shouldn't recover anyone's tag or let anyone recover your tag.

gamerguy69
04-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Sounds a bit odd. Why would you think that it could work on his console when it has already shown INVALID on your console? :confused:

Revolver
04-17-2009, 02:53 AM
yes, but why not just make a 2nd profile on your 360 and add them to it? and are you sure your inputing the code correctly?

the code will tell him not valid as well, if he inputs it the same as you.

Yeah, I made sure to input the code correctly about 10 times.
But see, here's the issue that's making this hard for me; I registered my Xbox Live membership with an American e-mail address and I read on the MS card package that it was only valid for accounts registered in Mexico (I just moved to Mexico for college, hence the region change) and I went ahead and created a 2nd profile like you suggested with a Mexican e-mail address but for some reason it won't let me do it.

So I'm hoping my friend has his membership with a valid address since he's lived here all his life so there shouldn't be a problem.

Glowin Smurff
04-17-2009, 02:55 AM
your entering 25 digits?

and the lil silver scratchy stuff wasn't gone before you got it?

that recovering the account shit will get complicated.

Revolver
04-17-2009, 03:00 AM
your entering 25 digits?

and the lil silver scratchy stuff wasn't gone before you got it?

that recovering the account shit will get complicated.

Yeah, 25 digits, and as for the silver scratchy thing, the one I got doesn't have that thign you scratch off with a coin, it's like a tear-off line, kinda like those that come in the Fedex envelopes for quick opening.

Glowin Smurff
04-17-2009, 03:06 AM
oh yeah, okay, well i would say look close and make sure your not mixxing up one of the letter/numbers like I for 1

gamerguy69
04-17-2009, 03:08 AM
You might just try updating your American e-mail address (Windows LIVE ID) with your new address in Mexico.

Sign-in >> Options >> more Options >> manage Account >> edit personal info. >> "registered information"

Revolver
04-17-2009, 03:33 AM
Ok so my friend went ahead an inputed the code on his console and unfortunately it's invalid for him as well, damn...

Ok so now I went ahead and changed all my info on my email to Mexico settings so I'm gonna give it like 30 mins before I go ahead and try again.

Glowin Smurff
04-17-2009, 03:45 AM
does it say invalid or already redeemed?

big difference, and double check your I's and 1s, and anything else that might get switched, o's and 0s

Revolver
04-17-2009, 03:50 AM
It says "Invalid"
Also, thank goodness there aren't any 1s or Is and Os and 0s.
It's all straight up letters and numbers that cannto be possibly mistaken.

Glowin Smurff
04-17-2009, 03:55 AM
try to return it then, or call MS or try inputting it on xbox.com

SC Defective
04-17-2009, 03:59 AM
If I remember right, even if your friend does successfully get the card to work, and he lets you recover his gamer tag, whatever you download using "his" 1500 points will be locked to his account. His account will need to be logged in for you to use things such as arcade games and only his account will be able to use things such as themes and game add-ons.

but I could be wrong.

-edit- seems like my 2 cents here was a day late and a dollar short so to say...

ToXiCRalN
04-17-2009, 04:16 AM
Yeah make a second account. Did you try to input the code on xbox.com?

Revolver
04-17-2009, 04:19 AM
No man, any help you can give is highly appreciated.
I'm trying everything to get this working but nothing gives out.
I've changed my info in so many places that I've lost track in the last 30 minutes that I've been trying to figure this issue out.

The only thing that comforts me is that I'm not the only one with this problem which should tell MS that they need to get their asses to work!:mad:

Revolver
04-17-2009, 04:21 AM
Yeah make a second account. Did you try to input the code on xbox.com?

I did both things man and none of them worked...:(

SC Defective
04-17-2009, 04:35 AM
Is it just saying the code is invalid or giving you an error code?
I have 2 separate digital download codes from amazon.com for ultimate MK3 that are getting the same error code (8016138d).
What I have been told (after about an hour of complete BS and shit customer service) is that the card has not been activated by the merchant.
In my case, microsoft and not amazon.

Im rambling about my problem...Im here to try to fix yours, sorry.

CyanideBreathMint
04-17-2009, 04:37 AM
If I remember right, even if your friend does successfully get the card to work, and he lets you recover his gamer tag, whatever you download using "his" 1500 points will be locked to his account. His account will need to be logged in for you to use things such as arcade games and only his account will be able to use things such as themes and game add-ons.

but I could be wrong.

-edit- seems like my 2 cents here was a day late and a dollar short so to say...
No, you're right. Return the card where you purchased it from.

Revolver, has your account ever been previously suspended in any way prior to you trying to enter your code? And I do mean ever, even well over a year ago.

SC Defective
04-17-2009, 04:40 AM
The problem I got with simply returning the code is that once the code is sold, it cannot be resold incase the code has already been used.

Amazon, in my case, was very, very kind and just issued me a $5 credit to get around this however.

CyanideBreathMint
04-17-2009, 04:43 AM
@ SC: I read your issue and it's not as simple as returning it to an online provider as they do not make things easy whatsoever. I was actually suggesting to Revolver to return the card. It's almost as if MS is pushing out defective cards to force us to put a credit card onto our Live! account(s). Dirty bastards. ;)

SC Defective
04-17-2009, 04:49 AM
@ SC: I read your issue and it's not as simple as returning it to an online provider as they do not make things easy whatsoever. I was actually suggesting to Revolver to return the card. It's almost as if MS is pushing out defective cards to force us to put a credit card onto our Live! account(s). Dirty bastards. ;)
Ya, I understood you bud, I was saying in cases where a prepaid code is purchased, retailers won't or will give you a hard time in returning or swapping the code out incase the code has been used already.

I believe Revolver would need a US card and not one from Mexico, but living in Mexico I don't think (he?) will be able to get a US issued card from that retailer.
If the whole cross nation thing wasn't the issue Revolver could handle the retail cashier politely and probably get it swapped out for one he needed.

-edit- I just realized that in my last post I said "the problem I got..."
I didn't mean my problem, I meant in general with the codes, sorry.

v SnOwMaN v
04-17-2009, 04:50 AM
Even if it did work for your friend. The points would have stayed on his account and not transfer to your account or your xbox. If you would have bought things off the marketplace with his account the stuff would have been tied to his account, thus if he was to recover his account back and you tried to use the DLC or what ever on your account it wouldnt work.

SC Defective
04-17-2009, 04:57 AM
Even if it did work for your friend. The points would have stayed on his account and not transfer to your account or your xbox. If you would have bought things off the marketplace with his account the stuff would have been tied to his account, thus if he was to recover his account back and you tried to use the DLC or what ever on your account it wouldnt work.
Thanks for confirming what I said in a previous post.
Now I know 100% that I was right after 2 comfirmations.
(I realize this kind of sounds like Im being a dick here, but Im not. I wasn't sure if I was correct in what I said)

Revolver
04-17-2009, 05:41 AM

Well, I can defenitely tell you that my account has never been suspended and I barely got a gold membership in October so it hasn't been a year yet.
another problem is that I did try to return the card but since Mexico is shitty when it comes to economics, they refuse to return the card and simply suggested ways to fix the issue such as making a region compatible account (just making sure my email is a Mexican one and not American).

The only reason I resorted to buying an MS card was that for some odd reason I just couldn't purchase any Ms points with my credit card about 2 months ago.
It simply read; "Information cannot be retrieved from Xbox Live, please try again later", that's been the same shit for the past 2 months and I was fed up with it.

And it doesn't show an error code, just flat out "Invalid code":mad:

A Pharmacist
04-17-2009, 06:14 AM
As much as I dislike Microsoft customer service, I think that giving them a call would be your best shot.(1-800-4MYXBOX I think) It you get someone that is absolutely no help at all, hang up and call back. It may take awhile on the phone, but I think that they can help straighten it out.

DENAz666
04-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Er no it wouldn't work, as it would be downloaded under his gamertag, so it would be licensed to him. So soon as you took his gamertag off your console, the downloaded game would just turn into a trial. Have tried before on a mates console when i tried to buy a game for him

Glowin Smurff
04-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Er no it wouldn't work, as it would be downloaded under his gamertag, so it would be licensed to him. So soon as you took his gamertag off your console, the downloaded game would just turn into a trial. Have tried before on a mates console when i tried to buy a game for him

not to be a dick, but did u read anyone's posts? This has been repeatedly said. Thanks anyway for trying to help the Original Poster though :D

Boiled Frogs
04-17-2009, 10:38 AM
the code musta been used by somebody getting points for free with a random generator or something, i think microsoft can trace who has used it

Revolver
04-17-2009, 04:58 PM
the code musta been used by somebody getting points for free with a random generator or something, i think microsoft can trace who has used it

I was considering that as a possible cause but wouldn't it say; "This code has already been redeemed" instead of the constant; "Invalid code" message I'm getting?

I will try to contact MS later today, I just hope I can get the 1-800 to go through cuz here in Mexico is nearly impossible to get through to those kinds of numbers.:mad:

Just as a guide; what exactly should I tell MS?
That my account isn't letting me input the code or mention the fact that I haven't been able to add MS points with my credit card (which is odd since that's something MS would actually prefer wouldn't it?)?

A Pharmacist
04-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Just as a guide; what exactly should I tell MS? That my account isn't letting me input the code or mention the fact that I haven't been able to add MS points with my credit card (which is odd since that's something MS would actually prefer wouldn't it?)?

Haha, yeah they do prefer a credit card...that's why they make it so incredibly difficult to remove one from an account. Just tell them everything you've told us in this thread. Start from the beginning and tell them all the things you have tried to circumvent the problem and they should, I stress should, be able to help you. If the 800 number doesn't work for you down there, try an internet phone service. I'm sure that you could at least get a free trial service to one of them :)

gamerguy69
04-17-2009, 06:22 PM
I was considering that as a possible cause but wouldn't it say; "This code has already been redeemed" instead of the constant; "Invalid code" message I'm getting?

I've never seen any sort of ALREADY REDEEMED message when I've tried entering codes. :confused: I've never expected one though. Over the past few months I have used numerous 48-hour free Gold trials and they use the same 25 digit format. Occasionally I saw some come up initially as INVALID and I suppose if I tried one that I have already used it would come up the same.

Revolver
04-18-2009, 05:06 AM
Haha, yeah they do prefer a credit card...that's why they make it so incredibly difficult to remove one from an account. Just tell them everything you've told us in this thread. Start from the beginning and tell them all the things you have tried to circumvent the problem and they should, I stress should, be able to help you. If the 800 number doesn't work for you down there, try an internet phone service. I'm sure that you could at least get a free trial service to one of them :)

Ok so here's the most recent update on this situation:

I called MS, however I wasn't able to reach them with the 1-800 number that A Pharmacist provided (thanks for the tip though) so I got a hold of them with the direct number (425-635-7180) and I was lucky enough to get helped by 2 very friendly people and the issue was that the information on my Windows Live and my Xbox Live billing information didn't match (due mostly to the fact that I moved from California to Mexico City) so this caused my account to be "locked" by an automatic program in MS.
I updated all my information and an MS supervisor told me to try and redeem/purchase MS points within the next 24-72 hours to make sure my account has been unlocked, otherwise to give them a call back with a reference number.
I'm hoping this will be the solution to this dilemma.;)

I'm also hoping this is a legit solution and MS isn't just dishing out BS to everyone that has this problem.

EpicGinge
04-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Unless you are planning to change your name then just make another account

Revolver
04-18-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm just waiting for my account to be unlocked at 7 p.m. so only 2 more hours to go.

I just hope it will actually work and that I don't have to wait 2 more damn days.:mad:

Xterma
04-18-2009, 10:17 PM
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, what

Revolver
04-18-2009, 11:52 PM
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, what

Huh?:confused:

FourChan
04-19-2009, 02:45 AM
Don't recover, cause if you do any add-ons etc wont work on your console.

Revolver
04-19-2009, 04:00 AM
Yeah no, recovering my friend's gamertag is out of the question.
I already figured out what the problem was and now I'm just waiting for MS to unlock my account which should be between 24-72 hours.:woop:

newbsicle
04-19-2009, 04:38 AM
LULZ

I would try entering the code a few more times then call xbox cs when you have time. If it doesn't work on your console/profile, ti's not going to work on his. Just input the code a few more times double checking it. Remember zeros sometimes look like O's and 1's sometimes look like L's.

Revolver
04-21-2009, 03:06 AM
Final update on this issue:

I finally got my account unlocked 20 minutes ago!:woop:
I just tried to add MS points like any other time and it actually went through so I was relieved to see that MS actually kept their word instead of brushing me off like I was suspecting they had.

dakisbac
04-21-2009, 03:13 AM
Changing your registered information to Mexico won't do anything, it will still be a US account. What's the most likely issue here is that the cashier didn't activate the code

Revolver
04-21-2009, 04:00 AM
Changing your registered information to Mexico won't do anything, it will still be a US account. What's the most likely issue here is that the cashier didn't activate the code

It's not that the cashier didn't activate it, I called MS and they told me my account was locked since my Windows Live and Billing information on Xbox.com didn't match which is why I couldn't add MS points with my credit card or redeem MS point cards.

But anyways, it's done with, I finally got the Versus Mode for RE 5 I so wanted and the last 2 costume packs for Street Fighter IV.:woop:

Glowin Smurff
04-21-2009, 04:13 AM
glad you got it sorted Ocl

A Pharmacist
04-21-2009, 06:14 AM
Final update on this issue:

I finally got my account unlocked 20 minutes ago!:woop:
I just tried to add MS points like any other time and it actually went through so I was relieved to see that MS actually kept their word instead of brushing me off like I was suspecting they had.

Cool beans man, I'm glad that you got ahold of someone who actually knew what they were talking about...that's half the battle in a good number of cases. Good luck in Mexico!

gamerguy69
04-21-2009, 07:40 AM
A strange bit of circumstances but I'm happy you got a positive resolution to the matter.

I still don't get how all this "ACCOUNT LOCKED" situation came into play. I have a Windows LIVE ID. I have previously paid my Gold subscription by CC monthly. I have purchased points with the same CC. I have also purchased points with a different CC (different name/billing address altogether). I've never had a problem with my account being locked in this manner.

How did you finally add MS points? Was it the previously mentioned pre-paid card that you tried to use first? That code finally worked?

Revolver
04-22-2009, 01:16 AM
How did you finally add MS points? Was it the previously mentioned pre-paid card that you tried to use first? That code finally worked?

That's a good point there, last night I was able to add MS points through the use of my credit card and it worked perfectly fine.
At first I thought it was too good to be true so I went ahead and purchased another set of MS points and it went through perfectly.
However, when I went ahead and tried to redeem the MS point card I had purchased last week and the one that started this whole thread (lol) and it still said it was an invalid code!!!:mad:

Since I was able to add MS points with my credit card but not with the prepaid card I'm starting to think that the latter is in fact the store's fault for not activating it.
I'll simply call them up tomorrow and ask them to make sure it's activated, if it turns out that was the problem then cool, if not, then who cares.
I'm finally able to get MS, the prepaid card was more of a desperate way to get MS points since I was dying to play Versus mode in RE 5.:woop: