PDA

View Full Version : New art style

A Satyr
04-17-2009, 05:32 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/16/a-better-view-of-borderlands-new-look/

I hate it, looks like fable 2 character style with prince of persia art style. I hope that fable bandit aint who you play cause he looks ridiculously stupid and his arms are twigs that couldnt even hold the rifle in that case behind him...

AssassinIlusion
04-18-2009, 02:42 PM
I am guessing its a drawn representation because the gameplay video the guys looked nothing like that and they were supposed to be 2 of the campaign characters.

Joker0fLife
04-22-2009, 03:53 AM
I am guessing its a drawn representation because the gameplay video the guys looked nothing like that and they were supposed to be 2 of the campaign characters.

to quote a quote:
completely in-game as you will see Borderlands (http://joystiq.com/tag/borderlands) when you play it.

That is the new art style. Which upsets me greatly.

Kunduz
04-22-2009, 04:43 AM
what the hell happend?

ReaLiStiiC
05-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Yea the gameplay videos look amazing and nothing like that picture, maybe they wanted to show the lighting textures and stuff. Because theres no way there gonna change it to that.. I hope.

ValkyrieOne15
06-06-2009, 12:09 AM
i....... like it.:)

VulcansEye
06-15-2009, 09:04 PM
I, too, like the new art style. It looks both unique and entertaining.

Joker0fLife
06-22-2009, 07:21 PM
It saddens me that the old graphics were taken out, but I can't really complain since the new looks just as good. It might be a different story if I had the game and they changed it, but I've never played it before, and I can't be mad at something that hasn't been released yet.

rsxdelerium
07-24-2009, 04:08 PM
I kinda liked the PoP art style .. however, that was PoP and this is a shooter. I feel like they had to dumb down the graphics to this from the normal modern style so they had room to fit all the rpg elements. It's depressing ...
I might be wrong of course I'm not a cg person or whatever .. but thats what it feels like anyway

InfernoFrY
07-28-2009, 09:46 PM
It should generally make the game look a lot better now they are using cel-shaded graphics. This will allow them to give more varied looks for their randomly generated environments rather than every texture looking copied + pasted everywhere.

Also you guys need to stop calling it the "Prince of Persia style", they didn't invent cel-shading.

Scurvy Curr
07-29-2009, 02:44 PM
yeah i am a little disappointed that they changed it...I still have high hopes for the game though!

rsxdelerium
07-31-2009, 05:09 AM
I dont' care who came up with cel shaded style .. Prince of Persia is the game a lot of people are familiar with that uses those graphics.
Like I said in my other post, I liked that game and how it looked. I just saw the borderlands trailer on my hdtv though .. completely turned off I doubt I'll be getting it. Not worth getting a game if you can't stand looking at it.

BerserkMidget08
07-31-2009, 12:03 PM
I like the look it of it

The Bum-Mobile
08-12-2009, 02:54 PM
I think the graphics look amazing and unique. They probably also had to dumb the graphics down so they could have all the content they wanted!

TheATC
08-26-2009, 04:09 PM
I think it ruined the game. It looks like Team Fortress 2 a little

xhunterrrr
08-26-2009, 08:45 PM
You are one of those people that likes every game to look photo-realistic, aren't you?

HeavenSoldier
08-27-2009, 12:27 AM
It's not that I don't like that graphics it's just that 'new art style+bordelands=fail' to me. I liked the starting style they had, however as was already mentioned it was probably done to fit in more of the content they had planned so that must mean they have quite a bit of stuff there.

on a last note, as far as i can remember, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker had the first Cell shading...well the first that everyone really knew/recognized...may be wrong though, but just my guess...

neok182
08-27-2009, 03:58 AM
god damn the game is not cel-shaded.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cel-shaded_animation

It is a hand drawn style. that somewhat resembles cel shading but it is no no way true cel-shading. just look closely at the details in the screen shots and you can tell that it's not true cel-shading.

Just because things have a black outline around them does not mean that they're cel-shaded.

xhunterrrr
08-27-2009, 02:15 PM
True, true. Some things in the game don't even have the black outlines.

neok182
08-27-2009, 03:08 PM
exactly. The game borrows many ideas from cel-shading but basically it's made to look hand drawn, which it is.

WARNING PDF LINK just so you guys know.
http://www.pcgamer.com/pdfs/Borderlands0609.pdf

This is the PC gamer article about the game that was about 2 months ago explaining the whole new art style.

If you look at the last page on the bottom left side of the image there is a comparison between the concept art and the new render. The idea was to do a real hand drawn textures. The article also goes into detail saying that the game is not really cel-shaded. it just somewhat looks like it but it's not cel-shaded by any means.

xhunterrrr
08-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks for that article! Great read and great info.