PDA

View Full Version : DLC achievements

CoachCO62
04-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Do developers need to get approval to add achievements through DLC? I recently bought the game add-ons for smackdown vs Raw 2009 and though I might be getting some extra acheivements, but no good, I mean I would have bought the DLC anyway but it made me realize that games like Halo 3 have achievements that are unattainable because the DLC isnt even out yet and SVR and its palyers kind of get the shaft. I understand that Halo is Xbox's baby and SVR is just a yearly release but surely adding some achievements could only boost sales of the DLC.

Again if I was releasing DLC I would add achievements for sure it would have to boost sales but do you need the approval of MS to do so? Its not just SVR its any game heck even an older game like perfect dark or COD2 they have map packs why dont they have additional achievements?

pX I Atticus
04-17-2009, 11:44 PM
i know that MS have a 250 Gamerscore limit on DLC apart from games like Halo3 Fallout 3 hmmm...i think thats it also games like CoD4 WaW CoD2 and other shooters somethings dont have points....well i guess im saying i dont even know lmao oh well i tryed to help :p

Kamakazi Pear
04-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Game developers aren't allowed to include achievements for a game which will require buying either DLC or another game to get. However, achievements can be released in any DLC afterwards, as they are extra achieves coming with extra content at extra cost. Fable II got told off because Fable II:Pub Games was required for the original 1000. That's being fixed in May though.

I personally think that adding more achieves in DLC is fine. People shouldn't complain. I hate when someone has 1k in a game then extra DLC is added with new achieves and they complain. Surely if they bothered to get the original 1000, they either like the game or are achievement whores and would happily purchase DLC? Meh, just my 2 cents.

CoachCO62
04-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Game developers aren't allowed to include achievements for a game which will require buying either DLC or another game to get. However, achievements can be released in any DLC afterwards, as they are extra achieves coming with extra content at extra cost. Fable II got told off because Fable II:Pub Games was required for the original 1000. That's being fixed in May though.

I personally think that adding more achieves in DLC is fine. People shouldn't complain. I hate when someone has 1k in a game then extra DLC is added with new achieves and they complain. Surely if they bothered to get the original 1000, they either like the game or are achievement whores and would happily purchase DLC? Meh, just my 2 cents.

Than what about Halo 3 with its maps? The new Battlestations game requires you to play the first one. Doesnt Hulk require you to play Iron Man? Madden 07 requires you to play NCAA 07 to get a draft class. I think their are a few others like this. I know Hulk and Madden are a little older but Battlestations hasnt even been released yet and Halo 3 you need the legendary and mythic maps which are over 1400 MS points each. Hell GTA needs you to pay 1600 MS to have access to the new achievements.

Kamakazi Pear
04-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Than what about Halo 3 with its maps? The new Battlestations game requires you to play the first one. Doesnt Hulk require you to play Iron Man? Madden 07 requires you to play NCAA 07 to get a draft class. I think their are a few others like this. I know Hulk and Madden are a little older but Battlestations hasnt even been released yet and Halo 3 you need the legendary and mythic maps which are over 1400 MS points each. Hell GTA needs you to pay 1600 MS to have access to the new achievements.

Yes, Halo has achievements for the map packs, but like I said, developers can add achievements to DLC, just not to the original 1,000. The original 1,000 had no DLC achieves, so I wasn't wrong. Same with GTA IV, new achieves came with DLC.

And you will always get achieves on games which will make you get/own another game, but MS try to stop it in as many cases as possible.

CoachCO62
04-18-2009, 12:45 AM
Yes, Halo has achievements for the map packs, but like I said, developers can add achievements to DLC, just not to the original 1,000. The original 1,000 had no DLC achieves, so I wasn't wrong. Same with GTA IV, new achieves came with DLC.

And you will always get achieves on games which will make you get/own another game, but MS try to stop it in as many cases as possible.

Oh ok got ya the original 1000 cant force you to download something for an extra cost, that much I knew I misunderstood what you said I thought you meant DLC cant include achievements if you have to pay.

Parkerktm
04-18-2009, 01:51 AM
i know that MS have a 250 Gamerscore limit on DLC apart from games like Halo3 Fallout 3 hmmm...i think thats it also games like CoD4 WaW CoD2 and other shooters somethings dont have points....well i guess im saying i dont even know lmao oh well i tryed to help :p

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the only games to have more then 1250 are Halo 3 and Gears of War 2, and those are both huge Microsoft tied games (Gears being Microsoft studious and Bungie breaking away from MS not to long ago).

EpicGinge
04-18-2009, 12:49 PM
It is a maximum of 250 points per DLC. Halo 3 has 3 DLCs so that is why it has an extra 750

Kaiyo
04-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Because those DLC will never be free when they have achievements linked to them.

gatorbait
04-18-2009, 04:04 PM
It is a maximum of 250 points per DLC. Halo 3 has 3 DLCs so that is why it has an extra 750

Plenty of other games have come out with multiple DLC packs but keep it under the 250 limits. Halo 3 broke the rule plain and simple. Now it seems more games will be eclipsing the 250 mark such as GTA IV and Fallout 3. I still wish DLC achievements only showed up if you bought it/played it.

CoachCO62
04-18-2009, 08:15 PM
I understand everybodys answer but it doesnt seem like anyone has actually answered the question I asked.

Do developers need permission to put extra achievements in their games after releasing DLC? Again im not talking about the obvious ones like Halo and Gears or even GTA since those developers probably have free reign to do what they want for the most part. Some games have DLC and no achievements and some have DLC and achievements, is it just because the developers dont feel like adding them or writing new codes, or is because they are not allowed. Marvel Ultimate Alliance (has) for example is probably on the same plauteu as Smackdown vs Raw (does not) why is it that one has extra acheivements and one does not you have to pay for the additional content on both?

I would think it could only help to boost the sales of DLC especially on a game like SVR 09 where only the real wrestling fans are going to buy the DLC. If they added achievements anyone who has played the game for the easy 1000 would than go and by the DLC. Why would someone who is not a wrestling fan care about using Vader and Earthquake in the game? If you got achievements for winning/losing as them than surely people would buy the DLC.