PDA

View Full Version : Running a 360 directly from a PC.

Scurvy Curr
04-18-2009, 09:42 PM
I searched and didn't find anything about this (though im sure its on here somewhere) but has anyone hooked their 360 up to their pc?

I was bored yesterday and felt like doing something "techy" so I hooked my xbox up to my pc. It wasn't that hard at all and after researching several methods on how to do it, i found the cheapest way was to buy the VGA cable that is made for the 360.

Video

Simple...vga cable directly to an LCD monitor. I have a Dell 24" that supports dual PC's so I can switch back and forth between the xbox and the computer.

Sound

The VGA cable comes with a 3.5mm jack adapter so I just plugged that into the mic input on the back of the pc and the sound runs through the pc speakers (computer has to be turned on for sound to work) Sounds great too!

Xbox Live

My pc is hooked up wirelessly so i just plugged my xbox into my pc using the eithernet cable that comes with the xbox. A lot of people say that you need a crossover cable to do this but that is not true, a regular patch cable works fine. You then have to bridge both of your internet connections together (just highlight them both, right-click and then select bridge connections. Now your xbox is hooked up wirelessly to your internet without having to pay $100 for the adapter!!

Anyway, now I have a pretty good option to use for when my wife kicks me out of the living room to watch TV. (only when its something that we dont agree on watching together:))

LP TaZ
04-19-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm not exactly sure how you called the last option wireless when you said you had to connect it directly to your PC...

Scurvy Curr
04-19-2009, 03:38 AM
well look at it this way...if you are using the wireless adapter you still have to plug it into your xbox. My xbox is right next to my pc and the router is at the other end of the house...so my xbox is still getting a wireless signal...Does that make sense?

skull3k3
04-19-2009, 01:57 PM
well i got my xbox connected to one out of the two monitors using that cable. Also got a converter for the sound to transfer it from monitor to my surround sound. This all runs through my pc so it does have its advantages

EpicGinge
04-19-2009, 06:34 PM
I did that for a freind on a laptop, kind of awkward to work though.

Trash Man
04-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Just seems stupid to me, fair enough using a computer monitor for the screen, that's what I do. Why have the audio running through the computer though, seems a waste leaving a computer on purely for the reason of having sound on the 360.

Scurvy Curr
04-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Yeah its kind of pointless but like I said I was bored and felt like figuring that out. Its a nice option for me to move down to the basement when my wife takes over the TV. My router is upstairs so there is no network cable running down to my computer...just a wireless signal.