PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Gamertag to get free games?

Gohan Reborn
04-20-2009, 02:31 PM
My friend in real life...we have different taste in games. We have a bunch of arcade games, and DLC, but most of it is unique. Meaning, I have lots of stuff that he doesn't have...he has a lot of stuff that I don't have. We rarely have DLC or arcade games that both of us have.

So yesterday he hit me up, wanting to recover each other's gamertag's on the other one's console in an attempt to download free stuff. Basically he recover's my gamertag on his console and goes to my Download history, and downloads free (or stolen depending on your point of view), and then I would do the same for mine.

I told him I'll think about it today. Not because I don't trust him, I've known him for more than 10 years, and as far as credit card info goes, he knows I never have $ on it anyway. lol. The reason I haven't done it yet, is because I'm wondering if this is against the rules, and could I get in trouble for it? It doesn't take a genius to realize that Microsoft would NOT condone this, but can they find out, and would there be any repurcussions? Has anyone done this before? Should I? Thanks in advance.

NFaMuS one
04-20-2009, 02:40 PM
I was thinking about this too, have you read through the Code of Conduct?

Not only that, but to my knowledge, that isn't something that should be discussed on this site. :drunk

Gohan Reborn
04-20-2009, 02:42 PM
I figured the topic would be locked if the answer was no, but I would have my answer, along with anyone else who was wondering. I had searched for this, but found nothing.

steeldragon
04-20-2009, 02:44 PM
I would be careful talking about that on a forum. Seems like it could work though.

Gohan Reborn
04-20-2009, 02:53 PM
That's why I'm asking here, not xbox.com. I know here I'll get an answer, and it could serve a purpose to others. I will not risk getting my console banned for a free...50 bucks you know?

duckydan
04-20-2009, 02:59 PM
In theory you can do it and it won't ban your console. The problem is that in order to play the full version on your console you will need to be logged into his name and in order for him to play the full version of the game on his console he needs to log in under your name. There's a way around it by changing the autorization of consoles (swapping them) so you need to log in to play your games but it's more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. (I have to do this Legit as I own two consoles and my daughter likes playing the arcade games on her account)

That said this wouldn't get your console banned from xbox live unless you advertise it isn't your console (i.e. posting your plans here) but it is a big pain to maintain and remember that the games that your friend purchased must be transferred to your console permanently and as a result he needs to be on live to play them and vice versa.

Gohan Reborn
04-20-2009, 03:02 PM
to Nfamous, Yes, exactly. Also DLC.

to Ducky - Wow if that's the case I don't think I would want to. Not worth it.

Da CRU Mughhh
04-20-2009, 03:10 PM
CODE of conduct yes read that and you will see that it is illegal. And watch out you might get banned from xbox Live from doing it! Personally i would never Let anybody recover my gamertag, I have worked to hard on it for anything to get get fucked up! And also im pretty sure this shouldn't be discussed on the site.

NFaMuS one
04-20-2009, 03:13 PM
to Nfamous, Yes, exactly. Also DLC.

to Ducky - Wow if that's the case I don't think I would want to. Not worth it.

I accidently deleted my previous post (not sure exactly what is going on with this computer today, or me...hmm, too much late night Fable 2, lol, I'm tired)

Anyhow, it's definitely more trouble than it's worth, not only that, but trading profiles is against Microsoft's policy.

Gohan Reborn
04-20-2009, 03:21 PM
unless there's another CoC I can look at...

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/Code.aspx

It doesn't say anything about it. The closest thing that I saw was not giving out personal information...

NFaMuS one
04-20-2009, 03:26 PM
unless there's another CoC I can look at...

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/Code.aspx

It doesn't say anything about it. The closest thing that I saw was not giving out personal information...

Maybe not anything directly, but lets break it down.

You're trying to recover gamertags with your friend to not have to pay for arcade games or DLC. Essentially, that's stealing, hence illegal.

Second, you're giving out your personal information, which includes your e-mail and password used to sign into your X-Box Live account, given that it has credit card information that includes your name and address. And yes, I understand you have known this person for 10 years and that's all fine and well, however, anything can happen.

What if maybe someone whom is the other person's friend, that you don't know, was on that X-Box and saw your account and decided to write down the information. It's possible.

Maybe this comes from my years of paranoia and always looking after myself because I've been screwed too many times, but it's stuff like this you should think about.

Gohan Reborn
04-20-2009, 04:00 PM
I can see where you're coming from. With as many identity thefts that happen on a daily basis (I work in a bank...I know). I think IF we were to do it, we would do it outselves (Meaning, I go to his house, recover my GT, download stuff, delete profile).

NFaMuS one
04-20-2009, 04:05 PM
I can see where you're coming from. With as many identity thefts that happen on a daily basis (I work in a bank...I know). I think IF we were to do it, we would do it outselves (Meaning, I go to his house, recover my GT, download stuff, delete profile).

Exactly!

However, the licensing issues would come into play as Ducky stated earlier, hence it would be way more trouble than it's worth. I would still highly recommend against doing what you plan to do. Is it worth paying your $50 per year for X-Box Live only to possibly get your profile and/or console banned? To me, it's not worth it, as I have invest far too much time and money into my gamerscore.

To each their own though.

Gohan Reborn
04-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Again, as I've said 2 or 3 times before, I am not willing to risk my profile for a free 50 bucks. We talked about what the other had...Besides the entire collection of Red vs. Blue that he has (which I can youtube...but still), the only real things of interest to me were Watchmen, Fallout 3 DLC, and some random cheap arcade's. He was interested in my Lost and the Damned DLC mostly. idk. If Someone where to say, oh yeah, I've seen it happen before, and they got banned or suspended...Something to help me decide. He's more willing to risk it than I am, because he just got his xbox recently.

EpicGinge
04-20-2009, 04:21 PM
You used to be able to do this but it no longer works, they made NXE in a way that you couldn't do it.

Retained
04-20-2009, 04:26 PM
You used to be able to do this but it no longer works, they made NXE in a way that you couldn't do it.

This. With the new NXE system, it doesn't work anymore. I have Knothole Island for Fable 2, and my friend wanted it. So I let him recover my gamertag and he downloaded it, but it did not work on his console.

All it does, is waste space on your console.