PDA

View Full Version : OXM: The 10 Toughest 360 Games

Weapon 117
04-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Which games will leave you tearing your hair out?

The war cry if the modern gamer is that games just aren't as hard as they used to be.

It's true that games nowadays have to cater for all audiences and not just the hardcore, which is why multiple difficulty settings are becoming more important and why the general difficulty across the board is lower than it used to be.

Yet for those gamers who refuse to back down in the face of impossible odds and a stern challenge, which games still provide that kick? Which ones will have you launching your pad in frustration and wanting to go back to Pro Evo? Here are the 10 toughest games on Xbox 360 thus far...

10. N+

The ninja-esque platformer starts gently but quickly cranks up the difficulty until you're leaping across tiny ledges while a parade of deadly robots and mines lies below. With three homing missiles chasing you. And machine guns locking onto your position. And then once you get across and hit the switch, you've then go to go back...

9. F.E.A.R. (Extreme)

Getting forward in F.E.A.R. means learning how to play patiently in a stacatto rhythm - move forward, slo-mo, fire, hide, wait for slo-mo to recharge, repeat. Extreme forces you to spend longer waiting for your slo-mo to recharge than you do actually fighting and it's probably 360's greatest test of patience to date.

8. Metal Slug 3

SNK's old school shooter is a reminder of how hard games could be. A constant onslaught of enemies with almost no margin for error and some tough-as-nails bosses... compounded by the fact that one hit will kill you. Getting through the first level is fine. Getting through the second is doable. Getting through the third, the fourth and the why-is-it-so-long fifth? Pah.

7. Devil May Cry 4 (Dante Must Die)

While the challenge here doesn't quite get you cracking your fingers like Devil May Cry 3 did - what game really does? Instead, Devil May Cry 4 settles for being just bloody tough, with Dante Must Die mode affording you no mistakes as you dance, slice and weave your way through the numerous enemies and bosses in your way. Designed to be tough and by God, that's exactly what it is.

6. Call of Duty: World at War

Take away the grenades from the enemies and it would be a test of patience. Yet because grenades exist - and they drop around you like rain as soon as you dare to take cover - you're always being funnelled towards enemy fire, where two hits is enough to send you scurrying back to the last checkpoint. You'll learn to hate those grenades before the end credits roll.

5. Guitar Hero III (Expert)

It's a tough prospect in Expert anyway, especially when you have Slayer's Raining Blood tearing your fingers to shreds and Metallica's One lulling you into a false sense of security. Yet the boss battles on Expert are what make this such a tough prospect. All we need to say is the Devil Went Down To Georgia. Those who have experienced it will cry tears of pain having just been reminded of it.

4. Earth Defense Force 2017 (Inferno)

Without a second player to cover you, Inferno is stupidly hard. Not only do you need to farm the lower difficulties to get enough weapons and armour to take on Inferno, but a second player is absolutely essential. On your own, it's impossible to hold off the swarms of ants and spiders on your own. So not only is insane dedication required, you need an insane friend too.

3. Ikaruga

The classic shmup might have been around for a while now but that doesn't make it easier now than when it was released back on the Dreamcast. You can protect yourself by changing the colour of your ship to match the black/white bullets and some levels deliberately warp your mind around this gimmick as much as possible. Fiendishly difficult but so satisfying when you get it right.

2. Left 4 Dead (Expert)

Maybe a month ago, it would have sat around 6th or 7th in this list thanks to the high damage and friendly fire potential meaning the constant need for communication to ensure survival. Now almost all the glitches have been removed - no more turret-jumping, no more ledges where infected can't get you - it's gone from being hard to borderline impossible. A good team can just about crawl its way to the finale, where the final assault awaits...

1. Ninja Gaiden 2

"There's a minefield and it's covered in snow, so you can't really see the mines. There's a path through the minefield but sticking to the path means you can't dodge the homing rockets and machine guns, so either way, you die. And then when you get past that, there are these bats that fire fireballs. Oh, and there's a level in the Amazon river and all the enemies have homing missiles and you can't even see where most of them are!" This is one of the many tales of woe Ben tells us about Ninja Gaiden 2. Good luck those who brave it...Source: http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=9560

Seany Show
04-20-2009, 06:27 PM
In most aspects I would have to agree with this list. I have played a few of these games and can vouch that they are very difficult. Would say that it was accurate enough without being official.

CienPR
04-20-2009, 06:31 PM
No Joust? That game is way harder than some of the games in that list. CoD WaW's veteran doesnt even compare to even making it to wave 30 in Joust.

Aside from this and N+ I pretty much agree with the list.

Tunuva
04-20-2009, 06:34 PM
I haven't played most of these games, but I can confirm that Ikaruga is brutal. I've had it for a few months and I still can't beat the 4th level.

Also I don't know how N+ is in single player since I don't own it, but I didn't think the co-op missions were incredibly hard. Finished all the co-op missions with a friend in maybe 5 hours total. The game definitely requires some skill and planning and you can't blast through it like most games these days, but I think there are probably harder games that could be in this list instead of it.

Kamakazi Pear
04-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Pretty decent and accurate list. Never tried L4D expert, but I know how hard it is. GH obviously. But, as already mentioned, there are games much worthier of being on this list than CoD:WaW. I completed that campaign on veteran straight away, instead of casual first or whatever. And completed it in 2 days.

DiamondD
04-20-2009, 07:33 PM
I've only played Metal Slug 3, Ninja Gaiden 2, Devil May Cry 4 and World at War. I agree with those 3 except World at War. Having an unlimited amount of grenades being thrown at you didn't make things hard, it made things cheap.

Xterma
04-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Blitz the league II, seeing nobody has 1000 FULL, i am at 950, almost there

Asian47
04-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Yeah, L4D is crazy hard now. Taking out the jumps and skips have made going through on Expert an absolute nightmare.

laundryman
04-20-2009, 09:05 PM
I thought F.E.A.R. was pretty easy on Extreme. Meh, I've played that campaign 5+ times so I guess my statement is invalid :p

Purge
04-20-2009, 09:10 PM
I agree with some devil navy cry 4 Dante must die oh lord.

L Demonic I
04-20-2009, 10:08 PM
cod waw should not be on that list

T0b3
04-20-2009, 10:49 PM
That list is void.

Where's Robotron 2084?

KSizzle
04-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah, L4D is crazy hard now. Taking out the jumps and skips have made going through on Expert an absolute nightmare.

I agree 100%. L4D is just crazy. I was trying to help a friend recently complete Blood Harvest. Its just insane...

jj harvey
04-20-2009, 11:16 PM
I have to agree with others, in no way should CoD: WaW be up there. The grenades really ain't that bad and there are much harder CoD's.

xvx Tiger xvx
04-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Great. There goes any hope of me managing a lvl of L4D on expert then :(

Bieest Unit
04-20-2009, 11:27 PM
I've only played N+, Left4Dead and Ninja Gaiden 2 (unless you count Guitar Hero III for Wii)

I'm at 140/200 for N+ and I am 100% sure I will not get any further in it.
Left4Dead expert is impossible for me so another incomplete game because of impossibility.
Ninja Gaiden 2 .. Got 135G or so in that game. Friend of mine even completed the boss of mission 2 and got to mission 3 or 4. Don't even know and don't really care. This game IS too hard, for real. On Acolyte .. I didn't even get past chapter 2's boss. Seriously, that's just not fun anymore.

And yeah, Guitar Hero III .. Hard is already too hard for me, so no expert for me. I can manage 4 buttons with my 4 fingers, but 5? Nope.

agentplatypus
04-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Call of Duty WaW shouldn't be on there. I thought it was pretty simple on veteran. CoD2 was harder.

Io Haze oI
04-21-2009, 12:18 AM
No love for Lost Planet (Extreme).

Some of those games I would agree with such as GHIII and Ninja Gaiden 2, but it's all down to opinion and everyone finds games easier or harder than others.

The Finn
04-21-2009, 12:43 AM
Gaiden is sick. I was nearly killing myself trying to complete it on Acolyte...and my mate just completed it on Mentor.

So I went round to his, you know...to try out Master ninja mode...

It's almost is literally impossible...and 5G for each run through of the entire game with one weapon is a truly lol achievement.

Also, Blitz II: The League definitely deserves a shout out.

laundryman
04-21-2009, 12:47 AM
No love for Lost Planet (Extreme).

YES. Knew I was forgetting something. Lost Planet is a PAIN on extreme.

CienPR
04-21-2009, 01:22 AM
YES. Knew I was forgetting something. Lost Planet is a PAIN on extreme.

I third that. I beat the first 4 missions and I dont have the energy/motivation or patience to go further. Not to mention collecting the coins in all difficulties.

Bolt
04-21-2009, 03:09 AM
Ikaruga is insane

XxBlueSpade2xX
04-21-2009, 03:24 AM
I agree with the list, for the most part. Left4Dead is tough, but I don't know if it deserves the 2 spot.

DTwirler
04-21-2009, 01:17 PM
I've only played two of these games, and they thoroughly kicked my ass.

Bearded Bugs
04-21-2009, 01:32 PM
How the hell is N+ one of the hardest games?! Just learn the patterns and you're there. It's my favourite arcade game but it shouldn't be on the "toughest" list IMO.

I haven't played CoD: WaW, but if it's anything like CoD4 on veteran then it shouldn't be on the list either.

Flyn Dutchmn
04-21-2009, 02:59 PM
I would have to say the COD 4 is harder than World at War...but that's just my opinion.

KwH x Fatality
04-21-2009, 04:06 PM
6. Call of Duty: World at War

Take away the grenades from the enemies and it would be a test of patience. Yet because grenades exist - and they drop around you like rain as soon as you dare to take cover - you're always being funnelled towards enemy fire, where two hits is enough to send you scurrying back to the last checkpoint. You'll learn to hate those grenades before the end credits roll.
It isn't that hard, but the grenades are so annoying! I was really happy when the grenades stopped. (When i completed on Veteran)

Just keep moving or throwing back grenades. =]

Baryonyx
04-21-2009, 04:15 PM
I have to agree with others, in no way should CoD: WaW be up there. The grenades really ain't that bad and there are much harder CoD's.

Such as? :confused:

mrtrick92
04-21-2009, 04:49 PM
All hope of L4D expert gone :( how annoying

PHIL 421
04-21-2009, 04:58 PM
CoD WaW would be taken off my list but just remember this is a matter of opinion. I'm sure all of you could come up with 100 games that should be in this "top ten" list.

xBootstrapp
04-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Dang, reading all the comments on L4D makes me scared to even pick up the game again, I havent played it since the update earlier today.
And are there THAT many people who cant play Guitar Hero

cheesyp00fs
04-21-2009, 06:59 PM
I agree with most of the list, played Metal Slug over at a friends house, the games just hell, barley got passed first level haha.
Lost Planet on Extreme should deffo be there insted of COD:WaW, the games like crazy. I havent played most of the games, but have tried nearly all of them out.
Guitar Hero on Expert is challenging, i can play quite a few songs but i would never hope to finish the career on expert.

laundryman
04-21-2009, 08:05 PM

Call of Duty 2 is very hard on Veteran. I'd say harder than WaW hands down.

Bieest Unit
04-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Dead Rising, GTA IV or Orange Box would be good on that list for me too. I die all the time in Dead Rising, so gave up on that one. GTA IV and Orange Box (at least HL2) just plainly suck ass.

Skillet
04-21-2009, 08:28 PM
As I was scrolling down the list I thought "If Ninja Gaiden II is not first on this list, OXM is the biggest group of morons ever paid to sell their stupidity on a news stand."

But then I remembered that I was talking about OXM... so the latter is true anyway.

At least Ninja Gaiden II was number 1. I agree with them there.

jj harvey
04-21-2009, 09:40 PM
CoD2 is much harder than WaW and from what I've played so far, so is CoD3. I can't back up that CoD3 is harder because I haven't played it much but from what I've seen, most who have played it say it the hardest of the 4.

Dang, reading all the comments on L4D makes me scared to even pick up the game again, I havent played it since the update earlier today.
I'm kind of thinking the same, I bought it and haven't touched it yet but now I'm wondering if I can complete it or not.

Valkyrie
04-21-2009, 10:15 PM
EDF on Inferno is so infuriating. Having to go through twice, once for each person, is so annoying aswell >.<

Gackt
04-21-2009, 10:19 PM
I didnt think COD:WAW was very difficult at all, was rather shocked to see it on the list.