PDA

View Full Version : Prize/Reward Contests

RuggersAssassin
04-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Like the on going contests on the front page. I think we need to have a rule of thumb to enter. There are so many members there that have less than 10 posts entering the contests. I don't think it is fair to the members that have been here and have posts. At least make it to have 100+ Posts or be a member for 3-6 months before allowed in contests. I think many people create a new account and just post using a different Gamertag. I'm not trying to be greedy and get rid of the rest of the "competition" I just don't think its fair letting people who join just to post in contests and who are members for less than two months. What are your thoughts?

NFaMuS one
04-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Like the on going contests on the front page. I think we need to have a rule of thumb to enter. There are so many members there that have less than 10 posts entering the contests. I don't think it is fair to the members that have been here and have posts. At least make it to have 100+ Posts or be a member for 3-6 months before allowed in contests. I think many people create a new account and just post using a different Gamertag. I'm not trying to be greedy and get rid of the rest of the "competition" I just don't think its fair letting people who join just to post in contests and who are members for less than two months. What are your thoughts?

That is a valid point, and it is seemingly more fair to active members given that we put alot into this site as far as helping other members, as well as various active members contributing by subscribing or donating, along with writing achievement guides and so on. It couldn't hurt to have some restrictions, so to speak, on contest entries.

INFERNOII
04-20-2009, 07:11 PM
I agree with this.. atleast have 100 posts sounds like a good idea to prevent multiple account entries.

razzleson
04-20-2009, 07:12 PM
But our contests aren't as much to reward you for being a member on our site, but to promote items for companies and bring new members to our fantastic community.

If only one out of every ten new contest entering people stick around, it's well worth it.

RuggersAssassin
04-20-2009, 07:12 PM
That is a valid point, and it is seemingly more fair to active members given that we put alot into this site as far as helping other members, as well as various active members contributing by subscribing or donating, along with writing achievement guides and so on. It couldn't hurt to have some restrictions, so to speak, on contest entries.

Yeah thats my point. The restrictions are not too hard either. Only 3 months as a member or 100 posts. It would make those who are dedicated or help the community have a better chance.

Off topic:
Your from Maryland cool! I live in Ellicott City.

RuggersAssassin
04-20-2009, 07:15 PM
But our contests aren't as much to reward you for being a member on our site, but to promote items for companies and bring new members to our fantastic community.

If only one out of every ten new contest entering people stick around, it's well worth it.

Then maybe make a contests for members? I know all the stuff is promotional, but I think people who stick with the site and help out should have a better chance. Some members only join to post in the rewards thread. I just think those small restrictions would make it for people who actually join the site and use it. 3 months is a short time and shows somewhat dedication instead of someone going to x360a just seeing a contest entering and winning and never coming back here.

Double post sorry :(

razzleson
04-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Then maybe make a contests for members? I know all the stuff is promotional, but I think people who stick with the site and help out should have a better chance. Some members only join to post in the rewards thread. I just think those small restrictions would make it for people who actually join the site and use it. 3 months is a short time and shows somewhat dedication instead of someone going to x360a just seeing a contest entering and winning and never coming back here.

Double post sorry :(
A time restriction does nothing. Someone could join three years ago, have 30 posts (all of which are contests entries over thr years) and still be eligible by your standards.

While your idea is in good taste (we've tried it before) it can easily be worked around by people who spam post count, or just make an account and don't use it.

RuggersAssassin
04-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Hmm. Okay. So there really is no way we can limit entries? Or have some contests exclusive for members with like 250+ posts requirement?

NFaMuS one
04-20-2009, 07:28 PM

That is a valid point. I guess the issue is not so much in what the contest guidelines are, but more so where the entrant's loyalty is at.

In today's society, it's a proven fact that every loves free stuff. Hell, I'm guilty of it too, but with a site like this, how can you not stick around? :p

Off topic:
Your from Maryland cool! I live in Ellicott City.

Yes. From Maryland, I am! lol

Xterma
04-20-2009, 07:32 PM
i think everyone should be allowed, even with 10 posts

The Pants Party
04-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Hmm. Okay. So there really is no way we can limit entries? Or have some contests exclusive for members with like 250+ posts requirement?

The only special contests we do are for Subscribers. Everything else will be open to anyone and everyone.

RuggersAssassin
04-20-2009, 07:38 PM
The only special contests we do are for Subscribers. Everything else will be open to anyone and everyone.

Okay. My idea failed... :(

Thunderbolton
04-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Okay. My idea failed... :(

Yeah and i already suggested that idea waaaaay back, just search.

kaleido42
04-22-2009, 02:35 AM

I love how Pants always seems to bring the point across in such a way that it almost stops all posting in the thread. As for the contests, they are working fine the way they are now and if someone joins just for the contests I cant imagine them checking back often enough to even claim the prize, which then means it will then be given to someone else who entered I do believe.

And to bring across the point made by Razzleson, I am an example of one of those 1/10 people. Started off with a contest, noticed some of the nice features for members such as the checklists, and eventually upgrraded all the way to the forums. I was already using the site but it gave me an excuse to create an accounting and start using more site features.

EpicGinge
04-24-2009, 10:22 PM

But if they had to get more in to the site before being able to enter a competition then they would have a better chance of sticking around

kaleido42
04-24-2009, 10:47 PM
I stuck around, to the point that I am contributing ideas (sadly no mods have looked at them) and working an a road map.