PDA

View Full Version : 360 Coolers Help

Asian47
04-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Forgive me if this has already been asked in a topic, but all the ones I've found searching aren't exactly up to date.

For a while, my 360 has been giving me two red rings, due to it overheating. Over time, this problem has gotten worse, and I'm running out of ideas. I've cleaned my 360 as thoroughly as possibly can without cracking it open, and have it right next to a window with no direct sunlight on it. Hell, I've even tried using a desk fan for a little while and that still hasn't fixed my problem.

So now I'm think about getting some sort of cooling system for the 360. Out of everything I've found, the Intec Glo Stand and the Nyko Intercooler TS seem to be the best options, but I constantly see people both praising and condemning both products.

My question is, anyone that has any experience with either product? All the reviews I can find are people that have the product for a few weeks, but I need to be sure that they won't just crap out on me one day. If not, anyone have any other ideas that I should try?

KNUCKS x360a
04-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Dont have those two types, i have the MadCatz 4 in 1 Cooler/Charger....
Mine used to overheat like a maaf' too, i've now had this small 20 piece of equipment for 2 1/2 years & it still keeps my Xbox nice & chilled!
Never had a problem with it - you just stand yr Xbox on top of it (Vert), & it sucks all the hot air out with 1 fan & blows cool air with the other.... I recommend it fully. (although some1's bound 2 post that its a piece of crap now & say it killed their hamster or whatever!.. lol)

I heard the horror stories about the Nyko ones frying yr Xbox, but they actaully "fit" on the back & connect, this just sits there...

KNUCKS x360a
04-20-2009, 10:08 PM
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr17/akaKNUCKL3S/coller2.jpg http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr17/akaKNUCKL3S/cooler.jpg

There ya go... It also stores yr Media Remote & charges real batteries...
:)

Asian47
04-20-2009, 10:24 PM
I heard the horror stories about the Nyko ones frying yr Xbox, but they actaully "fit" on the back & connect, this just sits there...

Likewise, I've done my homework though, and the Intercooler TS is a new model that basically goes off an exterior power source and sucks all the hot air out. What I really like about it is that it doesn't turn off until your 360 hits a certain temp. I keep reading that people say the fans aren't that strong, so it has me iffy.

KNUCKS x360a
04-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Got ya... Well either way - i wouldnt trust Nyko with my Xbox ever!... Even if they say they fixed it - it used to kill Xbox's.
Mines been sweet nearly 3 years so far... Keeps it plenty cool & doesnt need external power.

Jdm
04-20-2009, 11:50 PM
I have two of the Intec Glo Stands, but both have broke down on me. As most coolers, the fans aren't that strong. Sometimes stronger isn't necessarily better. I say that because that can easily stress the exhaust fans currently inside your 360 and make it work harder than it should.

The main problem with the Intec Glo Stand is the casing it's in. The twin fans are too close to the case and after a while, the fans will start to grind because of the wieght and pressure being applied by the 360. The great thing about the Glo Stand is that it runs off a power adapter, so it doesn't drain power from your 360. For this cooler, you can only place your console vertically.

The Nyko Intercooler TS has received some good reviews, unlike the original Intercooler that fried everyone's console. OXM tested the TS on a first generation NTSC-J 360 for a week straight. After a week of leaving it on, the console was up and running fine. The TS also runs on a power adapter so it won't be draining any power from the 360. With using the TS, you can position your console either vertically or horizontally.

Currently I'm using the Pelican Cooler for three of my 360's. Here's a picture of it:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j194/jdizzledeeznutz/802586b.jpg

It's a single-centered fan and it's not that strong. The casing is excellent, as it supports the weight of the 360 and keeps it from tumbling over. However, it is powered via USB. I solved that little problem by running a powered USB Hub, so it won't drain any power from the 360. The On/Off button is right up front for convenience, unlike the Glo Stand which requires you to reach to the back for the On/Off button. Supposedly you can also position your 360 horizontally with the Pelican Cooler, but I do not recommend it. It will make your 360 somewhat off-balance and you don't want that when running a game or movie. Keep it vertical only. So far nothing has happened to any of my consoles, but honestly...most of these coolers do little to keep your console cool.

kaleido42
04-20-2009, 11:54 PM
I have not had any myself but I have heard of problems with ones that connect to the 360 either through its power cord or through usb. From what I know, they seem to be best if connected to an outlet or like mentioned above, if it happens to be usb hook it up through a power converter or something similar.

Telexen
04-21-2009, 12:31 AM
If you have that big of a problem...you have bigger problems. It should never be overheating like that. Perhaps the heatsink for the GPU has come loose?

Just remember that putting a fan directly infront of another fan is not a good idea...it will destroy the dynamics of both. This is why Intercooler units destroy everybody's 360.

If it's overheating, try to send it back for warranty. If it's out of warranty, rip the sucker open and replace the fans with something that work, and make any other adjustments necessary so the heat is dissipated correctly.

Asian47
04-21-2009, 02:56 PM
I have two of the Intec Glo Stands, but both have broke down on me. As most coolers, the fans aren't that strong. Sometimes stronger isn't necessarily better. I say that because that can easily stress the exhaust fans currently inside your 360 and make it work harder than it should.

The main problem with the Intec Glo Stand is the casing it's in. The twin fans are too close to the case and after a while, the fans will start to grind because of the wieght and pressure being applied by the 360. The great thing about the Glo Stand is that it runs off a power adapter, so it doesn't drain power from your 360. For this cooler, you can only place your console vertically.

The Nyko Intercooler TS has received some good reviews, unlike the original Intercooler that fried everyone's console. OXM tested the TS on a first generation NTSC-J 360 for a week straight. After a week of leaving it on, the console was up and running fine. The TS also runs on a power adapter so it won't be draining any power from the 360. With using the TS, you can position your console either vertically or horizontally.

Currently I'm using the Pelican Cooler for three of my 360's. Here's a picture of it:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j194/jdizzledeeznutz/802586b.jpg

It's a single-centered fan and it's not that strong. The casing is excellent, as it supports the weight of the 360 and keeps it from tumbling over. However, it is powered via USB. I solved that little problem by running a powered USB Hub, so it won't drain any power from the 360. The On/Off button is right up front for convenience, unlike the Glo Stand which requires you to reach to the back for the On/Off button. Supposedly you can also position your 360 horizontally with the Pelican Cooler, but I do not recommend it. It will make your 360 somewhat off-balance and you don't want that when running a game or movie. Keep it vertical only. So far nothing has happened to any of my consoles, but honestly...most of these coolers do little to keep your console cool.

Didn't think the Glo Stands were that bad, looks like the reviews were off. Thanks for the head's up.

I never considered the Pelican cooler mainly because it wasn't compatible with all the 360's out there. It probably will work with my Falcon, but I never really bothered to look further into it.

Even though most fans don't work, I don't know what else to try.

If you have that big of a problem...you have bigger problems. It should never be overheating like that. Perhaps the heatsink for the GPU has come loose?

Just remember that putting a fan directly infront of another fan is not a good idea...it will destroy the dynamics of both. This is why Intercooler units destroy everybody's 360.

If it's overheating, try to send it back for warranty. If it's out of warranty, rip the sucker open and replace the fans with something that work, and make any other adjustments necessary so the heat is dissipated correctly.

Out of warranty, the only way I'd be covered would be to force RRoD. Of course, I'm not too big on taking a the chance of MS sending me a faulty 360. They've screwed me over with the other 4 consoles they've sent me, and I just want to know if I can possibly fix this one, as it has lasted the longest out of every console I've had so far. Maybe they've gotten better, but the experiences I've with a "refurbished" consoles haven't been pleasant.

The thing with basically all the "do-it yourself" guides I can find, they require me to purchase some sort of kit or to buy the guide for basically the same cost as a cooler. If I could find something that's fairly cheap and keep my 360 running perfectly, then I would be interested.

mrtrick92
04-21-2009, 05:31 PM
cooler sounds like a good idea just to be safe. Ive been told that having your xbox standing upright is not as good as being on its side. Any1 had problems with thei xbox being upright?

hondafanatic17
04-22-2009, 03:17 AM
Well I have had my Xbox for about 2 years now and I never had a problem with it overheating or anything, but I couple of my friends that did have that problem and it was because there Xbox was sitting on the floor of their room or in a little area with lots of dust and that is what the main problem is. Dust when your Xbox is sitting in a area with a lot of dust it sucks it all in and it gets all over this one part in the Xbox, sorry I don't remember what it is but someone else on here prolly does and it can be fixed by yourself for like 15 bucks thought, anyway it like melts it and that is what causes it to shut its self off after a while.
P.S. Never buy any cooling device from Nyko they do kill your Xbox I work at Best Buy and we have people come in there all the time saying they want a refund for the cooler and a new Xbox from Nyko because it fried there Xbox's power system causeing both things not to work. Seriously just say no to chinese brand electronics, they are dangrous.:)

Jdm
04-22-2009, 03:44 AM
Didn't think the Glo Stands were that bad, looks like the reviews were off. Thanks for the head's up.

I never considered the Pelican cooler mainly because it wasn't compatible with all the 360's out there. It probably will work with my Falcon, but I never really bothered to look further into it.

Even though most fans don't work, I don't know what else to try.

The Glo Stands aren't bad when they're working, but you can't rely on them. That's my main concern.

The Pelican Cooler will work on ALL 360s, as I've tried them all out without using a powered USB hub.

That's just my honest opinion about the fans. They do little to nothing to help cool down your 360.

cooler sounds like a good idea just to be safe. Ive been told that having your xbox standing upright is not as good as being on its side. Any1 had problems with thei xbox being upright?

The Xbox 360 was built to be positioned both horizontally and vertically. I have all my consoles positioned vertically except for one. So far, so good.;) The obvious concern when placing a 360 vertically, is of course knocking it over when a game or movie is being played.

If anything, the other issues are related to blocking the air vents. I prefer to stand up my 360s and block the bottom side, then to let it sit horizontally and heat up the motherboard side. That's just me.

mrtrick92
04-22-2009, 07:11 AM
ok i may consider a cooler in the future but for now im think im ok :)

she haunts me
04-22-2009, 07:21 AM
I prefer to stand up my 360s and block the bottom side, then to let it sit horizontally and heat up the motherboard side. That's just me.

I'm with you on this Jdm. My 360 always gets the hottest on the bottom. So I stand it vertically to keep the bottom cool. Anyone who says standing the console up destroys it is an idiot. Just don't be stupid and tip the console over with a disc spinning. I've never had any issues with keeping my console vertical and I've had one since about a month after launch.

As for the coolers, don't buy them. Don't waste your money. They do more harm than good IMO.

x|Blakey|x
04-22-2009, 12:59 PM
well ive had my nyko intercooler for xbox 360 elite for about 6 months now works fine makes a noise but no problems so

Simzo
04-22-2009, 01:08 PM
I bought a cooler that attaches directly to the back of my xbox and i have had no problems with over heating, it wasn't an expensive one either. It was just one of GAME's own coolers and it works perfectly, except the noise does get on my nerves.

Revolver
04-22-2009, 11:05 PM
I own the Nyko Intercooler TS and I gotta say that it''s very effective.
I haven't had any red rings appear ever since I got it and it doesn't steal power from your 360.
Like the previous posters, I admire that it doesn't shut off right when you turn your 360 off.
I highly recommend you getting this one, also the feact that it's transparent with a little bit of green makes it compatible with any skin or color your console has.:uzi: