PDA

View Full Version : TV/Headphones question

senote
04-21-2009, 12:55 AM
I'm about 2 meters away from the TV, there's loads of crap between me and it so it isn't easy to get to. If I plug headphones into the TV it will mute the sound is there a way I can plug in headphones or preferable a headphone extension cable and not have the sound muted?

I am fairly sure the answer is no but I thought i'd ask anyway.

AmishFury
04-21-2009, 03:06 AM
why would you want the speakers to be going while you have your headphones connected?

Glowin Smurff
04-21-2009, 04:13 AM
i'm going to assume he wants to leave them plugged in all the time, and then somehow disable the sound from the TV when he wants, i could be wrong though....

AmishFury
04-21-2009, 07:24 AM
it can be done if the TV has line level outputs (red/white stereo RCA connections)... run that to a headphone amp (or even a stereo receiver) and assuming your TV has a menu option to deactivate the built in speakers you'll want to do that

senote
04-21-2009, 04:53 PM
My apologies, that's what happens when I post at 2am lol. Yes I want to leave a headphone extension cable plugged in so that I can just plug headphones in when I want to.

Glowin Smurff
04-21-2009, 06:52 PM
My apologies, that's what happens when I post at 2am lol. Yes I want to leave a headphone extension cable plugged in so that I can just plug headphones in when I want to.

then it all really depends on if your TV has the ability to do that, otherwise you could do a R/W from output on the back of the TV to a 3.5plug and then into headphones and try to select 'rear audio' output instead of main speakers, but it all really depends on what type of TV or surround you have...